PDA

View Full Version : RIP Larry Sherry

michned
12-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Didn't see this posted yet.

link (http://www.comcast.net/sports/mlb/index.jsp?cat=BASEBALL&fn=/2006/12/18/544570.html)

PaulDrake
12-18-2006, 08:32 PM
When I was a kid I couldn't stand to hear his name. Now I'm no longer a kid, and once again I read about another athlete from my childhood who's no longer with us. RIP Larry Sherry, you had the heart of a true champion.

SOXSINCE'70
12-18-2006, 09:54 PM
I was born 3 years after you broke my Father's heart in '59,
but anyway,RIP,Larry Sherry.I just wish you'd worked your
magic for the South Side, not the West Coast.:(:

eastchicagosoxfan
12-19-2006, 05:48 AM
When I was a kid I couldn't stand to hear his name. Now I'm no longer a kid, and once again I read about another athlete from my childhood who's no longer with us. RIP Larry Sherry, you had the heart of a true champion.

My sentiments exactly. However, with the success of 2005, maybe we'll be treated to video of the World Champion Sox during rain delays.

Paulwny
12-19-2006, 12:05 PM

Agree, the guy broke my heart in 1959, RIP.

trailboss
12-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Larry gave a couple of pitching lessons to 10-year old Brandon McCarthy way back when. It's sad that's how he had to support himself...especially all these years he was fighting cancer.

wassagstdu
12-19-2006, 04:00 PM
What a great performance in 1959. He just dominated the Sox, beat them almost single-handed (I seem to remember a guy named Roseborough too). At the time I saw him like Scut Farkas (though I don't think he had green teeth). Probably like many older Sox fans now, I feel a personal bond to Larry Sherry -- kind of a Stockholm Syndrome thing. RIP.

tick53
12-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Rest In Peace Mr. Sherry.:(:

tick53

TDog
12-20-2006, 04:02 AM
What a great performance in 1959. He just dominated the Sox, beat them almost single-handed ...

Two relief wins and two saves in a World Series where starters lost the other two games for the Dodgers is about as good as it gets. I remember a reference to him in Mr. Ed, but I have read that the rest of his career didn't approach his success in October 1959. Relief pitching wasn't the specialty it would become a decade later, let alone another two or three, but he wasn't the last pitcher to have an inconsistent career out of the bullpen.