PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 Chicago White Sox Thread

JUribe1989
12-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Here is my suggestion for the 25 man roster next year. Tell me what you guys think about it, and what you think it will be. I'll start with the lineup against RHP followed by the rest of the 25 man roster.

1. Tadahito Iguchi 2B (Give him a shot at leadoff, he had 5 more walks than Podsednik last year and a .352 OBP
2. Ryan Sweeney CF (Why not try him against righties every once in awhile. I agree with BA getting the majority of the starts, but I really like what I saw of Sweeney last year at the plate as well as in the field.)
3. Jim Thome DH
4. Paul Konerko 1B----Personally, I would rather have it Dye-Thome-Konerko
5. Jermaine Dye RF
6. AJ Pierzynski C
7. Joe Crede 3B
8. Juan Uribe SS
9. Scott Podsednik LF (This would keep some pressure off Podsednik while still having Iguchi bat after him, and add speed at the bottom of the order)
10. SP 1 Jose Contreras
11. SP 2 Mark Buehrle----I would rather have it JG, JC, MB, but no way Ozzie goes for that.
12. SP 3 Jon Garland
13. SP 4 Javier Vazquez
14. SP 5 Brandon McCarthy
15. IF Rob Mackowiak
16. C Toby Hall
17. 3B/LF? Josh Fields
18. IF/LF Pablo Ozuna
19. IF Alex Cintron
20. OF Brian Anderson
21. LRP Gavin Floyd
22. MRP David Aardsma
23. SU Matt Thornton
24. SU Mike MacDougal
25. CP Bobby Jenks

This is assuming Sisco would start the season in the minors trying to be a starter as well as Owens and Terrero starting in the OF in Charlotte. Haeger would also be on the Knight staff.

Here is a lineup suggestion against LHP:
LF Ozuna
2B Iguchi
DH Thome
1B Konerko
RF Dye
3B Crede
C Hall
CF Anderson
SS Cintron

I know the idea of a 5 man bullpen may be a little farfetched, but what the hell? Our starters should get used to going deep in to games.

What are some of your suggestions guys and girls?

itsnotrequired
12-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Buehrle will be the starter on Opening Day.

1951Campbell
12-18-2006, 07:07 PM
18. IF/LF Pablo Ozuna

:o:

Please, no. I hope Ozzie's wised up about that one.

Corlose 15
12-18-2006, 07:42 PM
You only have 10 pitchers in that roster. I'm willing to bet they carry at least 11.

sox1970
12-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Gooch won't lead off.

As of now, I'd say this is the roster:

Lineup: Podsednik, Iguchi, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Pierzynski, Crede, Uribe, Anderson

Bench: Mackowiak 1B/LF/RF, Cintron 2B/SS, Ozuna IF/LF, Hall C, Terrero OF (could be Owens, but I think Sweeney starts at AAA)

Rotation: Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Vazquez, McCarthy

Bullpen: Haeger, Sisco, Aardsma, Thornton, MacDougal, Jenks

Obviously there may be a couple bullpen spots up for grabs, but I'd say Haeger would be a great guy to have in long relief.

nccwsfan
12-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Opening Day Roster prediction...

Lineup
1) Podsednik
2) Iguchi
3) Thome
4) Konerko
5) Dye
6) Pierzynski
7) Crede
8) Uribe
9) Anderson
I think they'll give this another shot....there will be pressure for Pods/Uribe/Anderson to produce

Bench
Ozuna
Cintron
Mackowiak
Sweeney
Hall

Starting Rotation
Buehrle
Contreras
Garland
Vazquez
McCarthy

Bullpen
Thornton
TBD Left Handed Reliever (If Sisco is OK with being in the bullpen it's him, if he wants to be a starter he'll go to Charlotte and another guy will take his spot)
Floyd
MacDougal
Aardsma
Jenks

Zisk77
12-18-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm guessing there is at least one more move to come.

maurice
12-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Pierzynski - C
Konerko - 1B
Iguchi - 2B
Uribe - SS
Crede - 3B
Podsednik - LF
Anderson - CF
Dye - RF
Thome - DH

Hall - C
Mackowiak - 1B/3B/RF/LF
Cintron - 2B/SS/3B
Ozuna - 2B/3B/LF
??? - CF/RF/LF (Terrero?)

Contreras
Buehrle
Garland
Vazquez
McCarthy

Jenks
Thornton
MacDougal
Aardsma
Floyd
??? (Sisco, Gonzalez, Logan, Tracey?)

sox1970
12-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Jenks
Thornton
MacDougal
Aardsma
Floyd
??? (Sisco, Gonzalez, Logan, Tracey?)

There is zero chance of Gio Gonzalez breaking spring training with the Sox. He just turned 21 and he's a starter. He'll be in Charlotte's starting rotation.

I believe Floyd will also remain a starter, but there's a chance he'll be the long man in the bullpen. The talk of him competing with McCarthy for the 5th spot in the rotation seems farfetched. I think McCarthy has that spot sewn up.

SOXSINCE'70
12-18-2006, 08:50 PM

I agree.

champagne030
12-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Here is my suggestion for the 25 man roster next year. Tell me what you guys think about it, and what you think it will be. I'll start with the lineup against RHP followed by the rest of the 25 man roster.

1. Tadahito Iguchi 2B (Give him a shot at leadoff, he had 5 more walks than Podsednik last year and a .352 OBP
2. Ryan Sweeney CF (Why not try him against righties every once in awhile. I agree with BA getting the majority of the starts, but I really like what I saw of Sweeney last year at the plate as well as in the field.)
3. Jim Thome DH
4. Paul Konerko 1B----Personally, I would rather have it Dye-Thome-Konerko
5. Jermaine Dye RF
6. AJ Pierzynski C
7. Joe Crede 3B
8. Juan Uribe SS
9. Scott Podsednik LF (This would keep some pressure off Podsednik while still having Iguchi bat after him, and add speed at the bottom of the order)
10. SP 1 Jose Contreras
11. SP 2 Mark Buehrle----I would rather have it JG, JC, MB, but no way Ozzie goes for that.
12. SP 3 Jon Garland
13. SP 4 Javier Vazquez
14. SP 5 Brandon McCarthy
15. IF Rob Mackowiak
16. C Toby Hall
17. 3B/LF? Josh Fields
18. IF/LF Pablo Ozuna
19. IF Alex Cintron
20. OF Brian Anderson
21. LRP Gavin Floyd
22. MRP David Aardsma
23. SU Matt Thornton
24. SU Mike MacDougal
25. CP Bobby Jenks

This is assuming Sisco would start the season in the minors trying to be a starter as well as Owens and Terrero starting in the OF in Charlotte. Haeger would also be on the Knight staff.

Here is a lineup suggestion against LHP:
LF Ozuna
2B Iguchi
DH Thome
1B Konerko
RF Dye
3B Crede
C Hall
CF Anderson
SS Cintron

I know the idea of a 5 man bullpen may be a little farfetched, but what the hell? Our starters should get used to going deep in to games.

What are some of your suggestions guys and girls?

As already stated, we will not go with a 10 man staff. Plus, with an 11 man staff there's really not a "long" reliever. That was supposed to be BeMac's job last season and how many times was he brought into the game in the 8th inning? Sweeney isn't going to be part-time reserve. Either he'll be playing the majority of the time or getting full-time AB's in Charlotte. I'd like a proven option or two for the bullpen and a legit 4th OF. Roll with the rest......

lakeviewsoxfan
12-18-2006, 08:59 PM

I think that KW will try to trade a Sean Tracey type pitcher for the 4th OF position a player along the lines of Ryan Church, Brady Clark or an Endy Chavez type player. OG made the point that Mack will not see any PT in CF and I just do not think he will break from Tucson without a ML caliber 4th OF.

KRS1
12-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Sweeney isn't going to be part-time reserve. Either he'll be playing the majority of the time or getting full-time AB's in Charlotte.

Just to add to that thought, neither will Josh Fields. There'll be what one game a week open for him to play in with Rob, Pablo, and Alex all being capable 3b backups, and Rob and Pablo in LF. A lot of guys competing for the last spot in the pen, and a capable 4th OF are what I see open. Terrero is the only guy right now who looks to be a viable option as a CF backup, so maybe there will be another move there. Luis is a ballplayer no doubt, but he hasnt adjusted his play to the major league level.

DumpJerry
12-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Opening Day Roster prediction...

Lineup
1) Podsednik
2) Iguchi
3) Thome
4) Konerko
5) Dye
6) Pierzynski
7) Crede
8) Uribe
9) Anderson
This lineup was the most consistent winner last summer.

MetroPD
12-18-2006, 09:14 PM
I'd like to see Sweeny given a chance in CF as well. We could always keep BA on the pine for bench clearing brawls where he excels.

chisoxfanatic
12-18-2006, 09:15 PM
:o:

Please, no. I hope Ozzie's wised up about that one.

Absolutely agreed on Ozuna in LF. He SCARES me out there!!! He is not an outfielder. I'd rather play Macko over him and keep him as a pinch-hitter/infielder.

ShoelessJoeS
12-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Floyd should be a starter for AAA?

Also, I'd like to see Sisco be groomed for a starter's role at Charlotte (that is if KW can find another arm for the 'pen)

DumpJerry
12-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Absolutely agreed on Ozuna in LF. He SCARES me out there!!! He is not an outfielder. I'd rather play Macko over him and keep him as a pinch-hitter/infielder.
He doesn't scare you as muc has he scares Sean Casey of the Tigers.:wink:

champagne030
12-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Floyd should be a starter for AAA?

Also, I'd like to see Sisco be groomed for a starter's role at Charlotte (that is if KW can find another arm for the 'pen)

No......Unless he pitches fantastic in a relief role during the spring.

chisoxfanatic
12-18-2006, 09:20 PM
He doesn't scare you as muc has he scares Sean Casey of the Tigers.:wink:

Seriously, he's 10 times worse an outfielder than Carlos Lee ever was (you know, the guy who'd take his mit off, flip it up in the air a few times while watching the women in the stands, and not look at the play until he heard the crack of the bat). I'd have a heart attack whenever Ozuna would start for Pods.

ShoelessJoeS
12-18-2006, 09:21 PM
No......Unless he pitches fantastic in a relief role during the spring.But then again, didn't Boone Logan?

Frater Perdurabo
12-18-2006, 09:21 PM
This has nothing to do with the roster composition, but I think Ozzie could squeeze a few more runs out of the bottom of the order by batting Anderson 8th and Uribe 9th.

Anderson has better speed and a better OBP than Uribe, who has developed more power so far.

Given Uribe's decent power compared to many shortstops and #9 hitters, Anderson also might see a few more good pitches to hit.

If not, Anderson will draw a few more walks and with his decent speed he could give opposing pitchers something to think about when Uribe is batting. That, in turn, should give Uribe a few more mistake pitches to wrap around the LF foul pole.

Both players, and the team as a whole, would benefit from this modest lineup tinker.

champagne030
12-18-2006, 09:32 PM
But then again, didn't Boone Logan?

I'd like to see 2 proven guys added to the 'pen and let Floyd get fixed in Charlotte. We'll see what Sisco wants to do, as far as, starting or relief. I think Floyd is a project, but he's more proven than Boone was last season.

My point was that I cannot see a case where we'll go into the season without an open tryout for the last spot in the 'pen, if not the last 2-3 spots. If he proves that he's better than Tracey/Haegar/ect....then you've got to put him there.

JUribe1989
12-18-2006, 09:40 PM
I think that KW will try to trade a Sean Tracey type pitcher for the 4th OF position a player along the lines of Ryan Church, Brady Clark or an Endy Chavez type player. OG made the point that Mack will not see any PT in CF and I just do not think he will break from Tucson without a ML caliber 4th OF.

I know you are just mentioning some solid 4th OF's, but if the Sox ever got Ryan Church, it would be pretty hard for me to like them.

maurice
12-18-2006, 09:47 PM
There is zero chance of Gio Gonzalez breaking spring training with the Sox. He just turned 21 and he's a starter. He'll be in Charlotte's starting rotation.

"Zero chance" is vastly overstating it. What chance did Logan have of making the team last year? Gonzalez is much more highly regarded and has far more experience in the high minors. Gio's a starter? So are McCarthy and Floyd.

IMO, Sisco is the clear favorite, but if he goes to AAA to start and KW doesn't make another move, then Gonzalez has as good a chance as anybody for that last spot. Rick Hahn implied as much in a recent interview (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1439921&postcount=3). IIRC, Cooper said something similar.

ShoelessJoeS
12-18-2006, 09:47 PM
I'd like to see 2 proven guys added to the 'pen and let Floyd get fixed in Charlotte. We'll see what Sisco wants to do, as far as, starting or relief. I think Floyd is a project, but he's more proven than Boone was last season.

My point was that I cannot see a case where we'll go into the season without an open tryout for the last spot in the 'pen, if not the last 2-3 spots. If he proves that he's better than Tracey/Haegar/ect....then you've got to put him there.Agreed. As I stated in one of my previous posts, the only way I see Floyd and Sisco in AAA next year is if KW can get another quality arm in the 'pen, maybe two.

And I'm only saying this because I have a feeling the Sox are maybe going to have to rely on 2, maybe 3 of Floyd/Sisco/Haeger/?Gio?/?Broadway? to jump into the rotation come 2008, and their arms need to be "stretched out" to deal with the long haul of a full season in the majors.

DaleJRFan
12-18-2006, 10:05 PM
I think the roster is pretty well set with a few minor adjustments in the bullpen vs who starts 07 in Charlotte and of course the 4th outfielder issue.

My predictions:

Rotation (DUH!):
Buehrle
Contreras
Garland
Vazquez
McCarthy

Bullpen:
6th/7th - Joel Pineiro
6th/7th - Aardsma
LOOGY - Sisco
SU - Thornton
SU - MacDougal
CL - Jenks

Starting Lineup:
LF - Pods
2B - Iguchi
DH - Thome
1B - Konerko
RF - Dye
C - AJ
3B - Crede
SS - Uribe
CF - Anderson

Bench:
IF - Cintron
IF - Ozuna
3B/LF - Mackowiak
C - Hall
OF - Jeff DaVanon

Charlotte should be fun to watch with lots of quality players ready to step up if/when needed throughout the season... Floyd, Broadway, Haeger, Owens, Terrero, Sweeney, Fields, Lopez, Stewart, Tracey, Logan, etc...

But I'd really like to see KW add DaVanon for the 4th OF spot. He can play decent defense at al lthree spots, runs fairly well and could produce 270/10/50 in Mackowiak's role... Maybe then Mack can spell Crede and hopefully protect his back from crapping out after 140 games.

thomas35forever
12-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Why would Iguchi lead off? He's not as fast as Pods and too versatile to bat at the top of the order.

Craig Grebeck
12-18-2006, 10:46 PM
I know you are just mentioning some solid 4th OF's, but if the Sox ever got Ryan Church, it would be pretty hard for me to like them.
Why the hell wouldn't you want one of the most undervalued and underrated players in the game? He would make an incredible addition to this team due to his versatility and his bat.

sox1970
12-19-2006, 08:36 AM
"Zero chance" is vastly overstating it. What chance did Logan have of making the team last year? Gonzalez is much more highly regarded and has far more experience in the high minors. Gio's a starter? So are McCarthy and Floyd.

IMO, Sisco is the clear favorite, but if he goes to AAA to start and KW doesn't make another move, then Gonzalez has as good a chance as anybody for that last spot. Rick Hahn implied as much in a recent interview (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1439921&postcount=3). IIRC, Cooper said something similar.

Considering Gio isn't even on the 40-man roster, he'll probably get an invite to spring training and be sent to minor league camp by March 10. He's not making the team out of spring training.

Jerko
12-19-2006, 09:06 AM
This lineup was the most consistent winner last summer.

Too bad we only saw it about 40 times. :angry: Oh well, a new year is coming so hopefully we can learn from last year and kick ass again.

maurice
12-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Considering Gio isn't even on the 40-man roster, he'll probably get an invite to spring training and be sent to minor league camp by March 10. He's not making the team out of spring training.

:cleo
"Your need your own infomercial."

Was Logan on the 40-man roster? Heck, Logan didn't even get an invite. He came up from the minor-league camp in the middle of Spring Training.

Of course Gonzalez probably won't make the team. The point is that his chances certainly are greater than 0%.

sox1970
12-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Was Logan on the 40-man roster? Heck, Logan didn't even get an invite. He came up from the minor-league camp in the middle of Spring Training.

Of course Gonzalez probably won't make the team. The point is that his chances certainly are greater than 0%.

I'm sticking with 0%.

The difference between Logan and Gonzalez, is Logan was a bullpen pitcher to begin with. With the cast of characters they brought in for the lefty role last year, Logan made the team by default--plus they had room on their 40-man to add him.

There's a chance Gio will be on the Sox at some point in 2007, but it'll be after beginning the season as a starting pitcher in the minors. There's absolutely no reason to bring him up sooner than he has to. And based on his age, experience, and not even dominating at the minor league level, there's no way the Sox are going to convert him to a reliever to start the season with the parent club.

maurice
12-19-2006, 11:36 AM
There is at least some chance that KW doesn't make another significant acquisition, that Sisco goes to AAA as a starter, and that Gonzalez outpitches everybody else (especially the lefties) in the spring. If that happens, Gonzalez makes the team--just like Logan except with much better qualifications (top prospect, experience in the high minors). This doesn't even account for injuries. Again, it's not probable and it's not necessarily a good thing, but it most certainly is possible, as you say, for Gonzalez to "make the team by default."

The "bullpen pitcher" thing is still nonsense. KW already decided that he wants to ease his top pitching prospects into starter roles, after being burned in the past and after seeing the success of Minnesota's guys. That's why McCarthy was in the pen last year, despite being a starter his entire life. That's why Floyd probably will be in the pen this year. Gonzalez is next. It's true that Gonzalez hasn't played above AA yet but neither did Cotts (who only pitched 108 innings at AA). That's not really unusual for top prospects.

The 40-man roster thing also is silly. It's not unusual for teams to have a full 40-man going into Spring Training and then make adjustments (DFAs, minor trades) as camp breaks. The current 40-man isn't stocked with exactly 40 luminaries.

soxinem1
12-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Figure on an eleven, if not twelve man pitching staff in 2007.

Every year there is always a dark horse in ST for every team that either comes out of nowhere to make the team, or becomes the first one recalled once the year starts (ala McCarthy in 2005). That being said, anyone invited to ST can make the squad.

I wouldn't rule Gio starting in AA this year. I don't think they want to rush him like Wilson Alvarez was originally when he came over here.

I for one think Sisco is better suited for relief. He throws across his body and if he is as stubborn as another former cub farmhand who keeps having arm problems, why bother, especially if he loses velocity and/or movement.

I can only see Haegar making the team if they go with a twelve man staff.