PDA

View Full Version : KW's Best Moves...

Tragg
12-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Obviously, because we've won every year, KW has done a lot more good than not good. So let's look at the good side. I'll give 6 - really more, but I group some together.

10. Trading D Marte for R Makowiak. Marte wasn't that bad, but he was declining, Ozzie wanted him off the team, and we got a good, albeit overused, bench player for him.

9. Acquired J Thome for 2 minor league pitchers and Aaron Rowand.

8. Acquired Bartolo Colon for essentially Biddle, Liefer, and Osuna. If we had won, this might be number 1.

7. Acquired Juan Uribe for Aaron Miles. Highway robbery.

6. Acquire D Marte for Guerrier I think. Marte held our pen together for 3 years.

5. Acquired F Garcia for J Reed et al.

4. Trading Carlos Lee for S Podsednik and L Viz. This gave us our first lead-off hitter in years and cleared salary for number 2...

3. Signing Dustin Hermanson and Bobby Jenks. Hermanson closed the first 1/2 of the season, Jenks the second.

2. 2004 offseason signings of Jermaine Dye, El D, A.J., and Iguchi. Four key ingredients of our World Champions, all for the price of one Magglio Ordonez.

1. Acquired J Contreras for Loiza. Contreras was the absolute ace of the staff in the second half of 2005, virtually unhittable at times. This was a clever deal by Williams, even if Contreras had pitched at his Yankee form because he still got us a 4th/5th starter for a reasonable price signed for a couple of years.

Brian26
12-18-2006, 08:14 PM
I believe there was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago.

Notwithstanding all of the great moves prior to the '05 season (it seemed like everything KW touched turned to gold), I still think the Bartolo Colon trade in early 2003 was his best move ever. The combination of brokering the deal between the Yankees and Expos, while blocking the Red Sox, and giving up virtually nothing in return (Osuna, Biddle, Leifer) was genius.

the gooch
12-19-2006, 02:43 PM
10. Trading D Marte for R Makowiak. Marte wasn't that bad, but he was declining, Ozzie wanted him off the team, and we got a good, albeit overused, bench player for him. Other than Ozzie's issues with Marte, I don't see this trade as a positive.

In the 2005 offseason the Sox brass said that they wanted a killer bench. In the 2006 offseason the Sox brass realized what they really needed was a nasty bullpen. I would have tried to trade Marte for whatever pitching prospect we can get, something the Sox have given up a lot to replenish this offseason, and looked elsewhere for a guy that could backup centerfield.

With the Gload trade, Mackowiak's role becomes backup 1B. His production is very comparable to Gload, and he makes over $2M more. A year later, after seeing how Rob was used, this trade does not put a feather in KW's cap.

fquaye149
12-19-2006, 04:34 PM
My favorite Kenny moves?

--Signing Dye

--Contreras for Loaiza

--Signing Loaiza

--Signing Politte

--Trading for Thornton

--Claiming Jenks

--Resigning Paulie

--Rowand and prospects for Thome

--Freddy for Olivo and prospects

--Freddy for prospects this year

--Gload for Sisco

man...there's a lot more, like adding Cintron, Ozuna, the Lee for Pods and Viz trade, signing AJ

KW is a pretty damned good GM

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-19-2006, 04:43 PM
2. 2004 offseason signings of Jermaine Dye, El D, A.J., and Iguchi. Four key ingredients of our World Champions, all for the price of one Magglio Ordonez.

Put this statement in GOLD please(or yellow?)!

soxinem1
12-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Dye, Contreras, and Jenks rank as his best aquisitions for FA, trade, and waiver wire/draft categories. I would put Colon in there too, but he was not that great here and was gone in a year.

DaleJRFan
12-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Trading Ryan Meaux for Geoff Blum

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2005/10/26/PH2005102600230.jpg