PDA

View Full Version : Catcher Conundrum

Soxheads
03-09-2002, 02:40 PM
Who should be the catcher of the future for the Sox?

Lisa
03-09-2002, 03:32 PM
Mark Dalesandro, definitely.

baggio202
03-09-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Lisa

pickin the pisano!!!

i think a tandem of johnson/olivo could really work out well for the sox

Lisa
03-09-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
pickin the pisano!!!

Hey, we pisans gotta stick together...have some more lasagna, Baggs...and have you seen Tony? He hasn't come back from that hit yet...

baggio202
03-09-2002, 03:53 PM

Hey, we pisans gotta stick together...have some more lasagna, Baggs...and have you seen Tony? He hasn't come back from that hit yet...

lasagna sounds good :D: ..no tony to be found... :(:

RichH55
03-10-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

pickin the pisano!!!

i think a tandem of johnson/olivo could really work out well for the sox

I'm thinking Olivo will definately have a nice future for the club, but like so many, 2002 is a crucial year

NUKE_CLEVELAND
03-10-2002, 09:16 PM
Trade for Charles Johnson.

Aw hell, I need to stop beating a dead horse.

Daver
03-10-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

Aw hell, I need to stop beating a dead horse.

CJ is hurt and may miss opening day.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
03-10-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by daver

CJ is hurt and may miss opening day.

CJ on crutches & a full body cast is still ten times the catcher any of these guys are.

Wait, ten times nothing is still nothing. My bad.

RedPinStripes
03-11-2002, 06:51 AM

Hasn't he been the future for a while but still can't hit? Are you playing personal favorites? Or do you think he has more tallant then olivio and MJ? I just haven't heard much about Delasandro and I question his future with the Sox since there is more talk of Olivio, MJ, and then you have Paul and Evans being talked about more then him.

I think the catcher of the future is Olivio. IMO

RichH55
03-11-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Hasn't he been the future for a while but still can't hit? Are you playing personal favorites? Or do you think he has more tallant then olivio and MJ? I just haven't heard much about Delasandro and I question his future with the Sox since there is more talk of Olivio, MJ, and then you have Paul and Evans being talked about more then him.

I think the catcher of the future is Olivio. IMO

I dont even think Delsandro is a C...hence the reason for the sarcasm teal IIRC

Jerry_Manuel
03-11-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I dont even think Delsandro is a C...hence the reason for the sarcasm teal IIRC

Mark's a catcher, he played a game or so last year with the Sox. He's played a little first base this spring.

RichH55
03-11-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Mark's a catcher, he played a game or so last year with the Sox. He's played a little first base this spring.

So i guess I didnt recall correctly then:) Though either way its not like he is a player I need to remember, so I'm not too heart-broken here

Jerry_Manuel
03-11-2002, 01:55 PM
So i guess I didnt recall correctly then:) Though either way its not like he is a player I need to remember, so I'm not too heart-broken here

:MD
You got some nerve.

RichH55
03-11-2002, 04:00 PM

You got some nerve.

About the same nerve as the guy with the yankee sig:)

czalgosz
03-11-2002, 04:05 PM

That's Jerry, and he's just subtly pointing out that Jason Giambi and Roger Clemens have the same face.

foulkesfan11
03-11-2002, 04:22 PM
Mark Johnson may field better than Paul, but his hitting BLOWS!

RichH55
03-11-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11

:hitless
Hey mind your business on Mark! If we cut him then who else can I have a higher BA then?

:KW
What was that you were saying about sunk costs? Ah screw it! Play Royce until that deal runs out!

voodoochile
03-11-2002, 04:54 PM

Yeah, but he knows how to take a walk, which is more than we can say for Josh at present time. The question is what are we looking for out of a 8th/9th place hitter? If it is the ability to reach base and extend the inning for the top of the order guys, then Johnson is the choice, IMO. Neither of them has shown the ability to be a starter to date, maybe that will change with maturity, but I think MJ has a better chance of being the all around catcher the Sox need as a backup.

Randar68
03-11-2002, 04:58 PM

Sorry, but Josh Paul can't hold MJ's jock, in any aspect of the game...plus MJ is a lefty.

FarWestChicago
03-11-2002, 05:17 PM
Mark Johnson may field better than Paul, but his hitting BLOWS! Yeah, but Versatile's hitting SUCKS! Since sucks and blows cancel each other out, give me the guy who can play defense, draw a walk and not run the bases like a chicken with it's head cut off. :smile:

Randar68
03-11-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Yeah, but Versatile's hitting SUCKS! Since sucks and blows cancel each other out, give me the guy who can play defense, draw a walk and not run the bases like a chicken with it's head cut off. :smile:

Can I get a witness from the congregation?

bjmarte
03-11-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Can I get a witness from the congregation?

Amen brother!

Jerry_Manuel
03-11-2002, 06:29 PM

My next sig will be of the Astros.

I'd be on the Yankees if I was good.

Paulwny
03-11-2002, 06:48 PM
JM, you're going to give me nightmares. I don't allow any yankmee trash into my domain, why would you bring it to this hallowed ground.
Too bad it isn't the 1600's I have you burned at the stake for being a warlock.

Jerry_Manuel
03-11-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

If you want to go midevil on me that's ok. :D:

RichH55
03-11-2002, 09:16 PM

If you want to go midevil on me that's ok. :D:

Almost ready to break out your kinky fetish sig Jerry?

RichH55
03-11-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
JM, you're going to give me nightmares. I don't allow any yankmee trash into my domain, why would you bring it to this hallowed ground.

OH HE TURNED ME INTO A NEWT!

TheGipper
03-11-2002, 09:24 PM
Never really heard of the guy, anyone have any info on him.

Soxheads
03-11-2002, 09:24 PM

My next sig will be of the Astros.

Bitchin'

hsc1
03-11-2002, 09:38 PM
gipper ask and you shall recieve... the 411 on miguel olivo...
#7 prospect from the oakland orginaization from a poll by baseball america...compiled a 13 game hitting streak 4/20-5/8 including six multihit games in 1999..... set career highs in triples (6) , homeruns (9), and total bases (126), in 1998, was named to the arizona league postseason all-star team and signed by oakland as a non drafted free agent in 1996, played baseball in the dominican summer league.... i had the chance to see him in action last season in birmingham... what i can tell you of his performance of the few games i took in down there is this.... i like his defensive skills alot.. he did a great job handling the pitching staff, he has a decient arm, great running speed, a little impatient at the plate but im sure that will come around in time....he puts his full attention to the game and would be a vast improvement over paul.....if i were in charge i would have him up here to relieve alomar and back up mj..... but thats just my opinion...

RichH55
03-11-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by hsc1
#7 prospect from the oakland orginaization from a poll by baseball america...compiled a 13 game hitting streak 4/20-5/8 including six multihit games in 1999..... set career highs in triples (6) , homeruns (9), and total bases (126), in 1998, was named to the arizona league postseason all-star team and signed by oakland as a non drafted free agent in 1996, played baseball in the dominican summer league.... i had the chance to see him in action last season in birmingham... what i can tell you of his performance of the few games i took in down there is this.... i like his defensive skills alot.. he did a great job handling the pitching staff, he has a decient arm, great running speed, a little impatient at the plate but im sure that will come around in time....he puts his full attention to the game and would be a vast improvement over paul.....if i were in charge i would have him up here to relieve alomar and back up mj..... but thats just my opinion...

I like Olivo as well....but he still has some growing to do in his game and would be best served by another year in the minors....2003 sounds like a reasonable ETA to me

Daver
03-11-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by hsc1

You forgot to mention the corked bat. :)

rmusacch
03-11-2002, 09:45 PM

Dalesandro is like 80. I like to stick with my fellow pisans but I cannot stick with him.

baggio202
03-11-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by daver

You forgot to mention the corked bat. :)

his teammates nicknamed him corky :o:

Jerry_Manuel
03-11-2002, 09:47 PM
Almost ready to break out your kinky fetish sig Jerry?

That's sick Rich. :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
03-11-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
Bitchin'

You an Astros fan, Heads?

foulkesfan11
03-12-2002, 09:54 AM
Too bad we gave up CJ.

TheGipper
03-13-2002, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the information on him. Sounds like Tony Pena kinda with the defensive skills and being impatient. If he can become more patient at the plate sounds like a lock for Chi Town

LongDistanceFan
03-15-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

sorry to everybody, but you have the coolest looking sig i have seen................. niiiiccccceeeee

btw i been checking polls and never did it ever stated that the polls will be secret.

Soxheads
03-15-2002, 11:28 PM

You an Astros fan, Heads?

Craig Biggio is my favorite non-Sox player.

orbatel
03-21-2002, 03:25 PM
The future is now and the catcher should be Johnson. He can give the Defense we need and can handle the pitchers. He is OK with the bat and will be hitting 8th only because clayton is in the line up.

Keep with him and have steady Defense and good working of the pitching staff and try and have a good prospect up in 2 years-or bust out your wallet and pay for Ivan Rodrigues next year! :)

Mathew
03-21-2002, 03:45 PM
I can't vote in this thread because none of these players are the Catcher of the future. They shouldn't be catcher of the past or present either.

KempersRS
03-21-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
I can't vote in this thread because none of these players are the Catcher of the future. They shouldn't be catcher of the past or present either.

Catching is this team's biggest weakness and I am afraid you won't be seeing much in terms of a superstar behind the plate for a long time. Maybe a late season rental like Charles Johnson was, but I don't see any long term improvements on the way, nor do I see money being shelled out for a big name.

RichH55
03-21-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS

Catching is this team's biggest weakness and I am afraid you won't be seeing much in terms of a superstar behind the plate for a long time. Maybe a late season rental like Charles Johnson was, but I don't see any long term improvements on the way, nor do I see money being shelled out for a big name.

When it comes to catching...blackhole here...so pray for the development of Olivio...the only guy I have any hope could someday be something more than a backup C and even that is iffy

Soxheads
03-21-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS

:reinsy "Right on, Kempers!"