PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte should be loaded again in 2007

maurice
12-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Barring any more trades, the Sox MLB roster has maybe 2 openings: backup OF and 6th relief pitcher. That leaves most of the 2006 Charlotte roster blocked. With recent trades netting the org. some talented young arms, Charlotte should be loaded again in 2007:

C - Stewart (blocked by the Hall signing)
1B - Rogowski (still blocked, even with Gload gone)
2B - Andy Gonzalez (Getz?)
SS - Lopez (Velandia?)
3B - Fields (blocked by Crede; strong I.L. MVP candidate)
OF/DH - Sweeney, Owens, AAAA veterans (Terrero?)

It looks like no more than one of the following guys fits on the 25-man MLB roster, as it currently stands. Barring a trade or injury, these players should spend serious time in Charlotte or Birmingham during the 2007 season:
Gio Gonzalez, Sisco, Haeger, Tracey, Broadway, Phillips, Logan, Reynoso, Vasquez, McCulloch, Egbert, Russell, Whisler, Harrell (Malone? Perez? Long? Omogroso?).

It's shaping up to be another winnng season for the Knights. As an added bonus, the Sox have lots of young depth and trade-bait.
:gulp:

SABRSox
12-18-2006, 05:51 PM
I don't know how much of that team is considered trade bait. I think the Sox system is better off going into 2007 than it was in 2006, but it's still somewhat depleted from the trades we've made over the past few years.

However, a couple of those guys (Fields and Sweeney in particular) make me excited about the future.

rdivaldi
12-18-2006, 07:54 PM
I don't know how much of that team is considered trade bait.

There are a lot of guys on that list that would be welcome additions to most every team in MLB. I'm just not sure if we can afford to trade them at this point considering how many FA might depart this team over the next 2- 3 years.

caulfield12
12-18-2006, 08:44 PM
McCullough in AAA already?

I think High A or Birmingham is more likely...

rdivaldi
12-18-2006, 08:55 PM

Based on the past history of how we move our top pitching prospects I'd say that McCullough is a shoe-in for Birmingham.

Lorenzo Barcelo
12-18-2006, 10:03 PM
I believe Valendia was picked up by someone, so hes no long an option.

maurice
12-18-2006, 10:31 PM
these players should spend serious time in Charlotte or Birmingham during the 2007 season: . . . McCulloch

I agree with rdivaldi that the usual Sox promotional practices put him in Birmingham and maybe a cup o' coffee with the Knights at the end of the year. See Broadway, Lance.

goldglovesox
12-19-2006, 11:37 AM
The only name i disagree with on that list is Sisco. I think he will see all his time in Chicago this year. At least I hope so. I mean back end of the bullpen Jenks McDougal Thornton Aardsma Sisco and Floyd? I think Sisco stays there. Also I dont think Long or Ommogrosso will progress past Winston this year especially with the depth at the higher levels. Just me.

Ol' No. 2
12-19-2006, 04:28 PM
There are a lot of guys on that list that would be welcome additions to most every team in MLB. I'm just not sure if we can afford to trade them at this point considering how many FA might depart this team over the next 2- 3 years.Some of these guys must be running out of options, no? Rogowski certainly has nowhere to go and with Hall and Pierzynski both signed for 2 more years, it doesn't look like Stewart has an opening.

rdivaldi
12-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Some of these guys must be running out of options, no? Rogowski certainly has nowhere to go and with Hall and Pierzynski both signed for 2 more years, it doesn't look like Stewart has an opening.

Options in what sense? Minor league options? Or choices?

Both are protected on the 40 man roster and neither has been really stuttled back and forth to the majors, so we're not really in danger of losing them in that sense.

Personally even though I think Rogo is a great guy and plays hard, I'm not convinced he would ever be much more than a mediocre bench player in the majors. I wouldn't be upset from a talent standpoint if we lost him. I'm not all that high on Stewart either...

the gooch
12-19-2006, 06:09 PM
My first thought on the Gload trade is that Rogowski might get a shot for a bench spot. Then I realized Mackowiak will be playing there.

I've never warmed up to Rob (there's nothing wrong with him, I just don't quite feel the love), and Rogo is one of the guys I have been looking forward to him getting a chance.

I've read that Rogowski is fine in LF and can run well for a big guy. My question is would Rogowski project to be a better hitter than Mack? After two solid years of hitting, is he ready to look at Major League pitching, or should they wait until he hits it out of the park more? It doesn't seem he has much more to prove in the minors, unless they are working on more loft in his swing.

I know Mack will also be backing up 3B, something that not everyone is convinced Ozuna can do. So, yeah, this is all speculation.

Ol' No. 2
12-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Options in what sense? Minor league options? Or choices?

Both are protected on the 40 man roster and neither has been really stuttled back and forth to the majors, so we're not really in danger of losing them in that sense.

Personally even though I think Rogo is a great guy and plays hard, I'm not convinced he would ever be much more than a mediocre bench player in the majors. I wouldn't be upset from a talent standpoint if we lost him. I'm not all that high on Stewart either...I meant minor league options. Rogo was on the 40-man roster last year, and I believe also the year before, so that means two option years down, with one remaining. I believe Stewart used up one last year. Barring injury to a major league player, neither of these guys looks like a good bet to make the team in the next two years.

caulfield12
12-20-2006, 09:58 AM
My first thought on the Gload trade is that Rogowski might get a shot for a bench spot. Then I realized Mackowiak will be playing there.

I've never warmed up to Rob (there's nothing wrong with him, I just don't quite feel the love), and Rogo is one of the guys I have been looking forward to him getting a chance.

I've read that Rogowski is fine in LF and can run well for a big guy. My question is would Rogowski project to be a better hitter than Mack? After two solid years of hitting, is he ready to look at Major League pitching, or should they wait until he hits it out of the park more? It doesn't seem he has much more to prove in the minors, unless they are working on more loft in his swing.

I know Mack will also be backing up 3B, something that not everyone is convinced Ozuna can do. So, yeah, this is all speculation.

There's a difference between being a good athlete (I think he was also a wrestler) and playing a competent LF.

He's another in a long line of Mario Valdez, Ross Gload and Olmedo Saenz types that are doomed to be pinch-hitters and bench players. Nothing wrong with that, but I think most MLB clubs would rather have Joe Borchard than Casey today.

White Sox Randy
12-20-2006, 12:09 PM
I am a Rogo fan because of his profile, history and all. It just seems like he's maxing out his talent already. I would think a Ross Gload career would be a dream for him. I'd be surprised to see him end his career with 500 big league at bats.

As for Stewart, I think he'll be a big leaguer for a while. Maybe, never more than a backup. But, a guy with his defensive skills will play in the bigs. Development of his bat skills will determine how much. PLus, keeping Haeger in the Sox system would probably be a plus for him.

maurice
12-20-2006, 12:55 PM
If Rogo = Gload / Borchard, that would be great. The last thing the Sox MLB team needs is another 1B. OTOH, if he could be traded straight up for a talented, young lefty . . . .
:gulp: