PDA

View Full Version : Alex Rios?

DickAllen72
12-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Apparently Buster Olney is reporting Toronto may move Alex Rios.

He'd fit in pretty well in CF with the Sox for 2007 and could possibly move into RF if Dye leaves in 2008. I guess Toronto wants another starting pitcher.

Anyone see a match with the Sox? Opinions pro or con?

palehozenychicty
12-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Rios really came into his own last year. I would take him for the right package.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-17-2006, 08:50 PM
He would look really nice in CF. BA could then become the 4th OF, and take over LF after Pods is gone. They're probably asking for too much.

samram
12-17-2006, 09:01 PM
I would take him. I don't know about straight up for a SP, but he'd be a nice fit.

DaleJRFan
12-17-2006, 10:43 PM
the same Olney report also mentions that the Sox are or might be looking at Joel Piniero as a reliever, since odds are Floyd and Sisco will be in AAA preparing to enter the rotation in 2008.

Piniero has great "stuff" and is such a cool guy, I'd love to see him come to the Sox and get it all together.

caulfield12
12-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Apparently Buster Olney is reporting Toronto may move Alex Rios.

He'd fit in pretty well in CF with the Sox for 2007 and could possibly move into RF if Dye leaves in 2008. I guess Toronto wants another starting pitcher.

Anyone see a match with the Sox? Opinions pro or con?

If we could do it by trading minor league pitching, then I think it would be worthwhile...

I'm assuming part of the deal would involve Sweeney and/or Anderson, along with Haeger or Broadway (possibly Fields, but they have Glaus now).

That would be quite the risk to deal Fields if we didn't have Crede under contract after 2008.

Hitmen77
12-17-2006, 10:52 PM
If we could do it by trading minor league pitching, then I think it would be worthwhile...

I'm assuming part of the deal would involve Sweeney and/or Anderson, along with Haeger or Broadway (possibly Fields, but they have Glaus now).

That would be quite the risk to deal Fields if we didn't have Crede under contract after 2008.

...and that's why there is no way the Sox are trading Fields.

fquaye149
12-18-2006, 12:22 AM
i want ARMANDO rios

dwalteroo
12-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Alex Rios would be a great pickup. I had him on my fantasy team last year and he was really on fire until he was sidelined by that weird leg infection he had around the all-star break. If they could package a minor league arm and Sweeney or Anderson (who I'd hate to see go), I'd pull the trigger on this one.

RoobarbPie
12-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Wouldn't TOR be looking for MLB ready arms since they've only got 3 starters locked in? With Rios being pretty cheap for a few more years, I would think Toronto could do better than Anderson/Minor league SP. They aren't looking to replace Rios with another OF if they deal him. Somebody asked Buster Olney if the White Sox are a good match for a trade today in Busters blog, but he didn't answer the question for some reason.

contract:
Alex Rios
1 year/$0.354M (2006)
1 year/$0.331M (2005), re-signed 3/05
drafted 1999 (1-19), $0.845M signing bonus
ML service: 1.130

dwalteroo
12-18-2006, 09:19 AM
An SP would be difficult trade for the Sox at this point....

spiffie
12-18-2006, 09:33 AM
At this point the question would be "how much do you trust Don Cooper?" Do you trust him enough that by the end of spring Gavin Floyd would be a legitimate starter for us? If so, it's a great deal. If not, it's hard to make that trade unless you're ready to take a shot with Haeger in the rotation.

palehozenychicty
12-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Wouldn't TOR be looking for MLB ready arms since they've only got 3 starters locked in? With Rios being pretty cheap for a few more years, I would think Toronto could do better than Anderson/Minor league SP. They aren't looking to replace Rios with another OF if they deal him. Somebody asked Buster Olney if the White Sox are a good match for a trade today in Busters blog, but he didn't answer the question for some reason.

contract:
Alex Rios
1 year/$0.354M (2006)

1 year/$0.331M (2005), re-signed 3/05
drafted 1999 (1-19), $0.845M signing bonus
ML service: 1.130

Don't you know that the Yankmees and Red Sawx are the only teams in MLB?

dwalteroo
12-18-2006, 09:46 AM
I think there's enough evidence in Don Cooper's corner, but I don't know if you can turn someone into a viable starter overnight. Trading Javy (who it would likely be) for Rios would be a big gamble....I wish we had Garcia right now so we could have a proven SP to dangle in front of Toronto.

Flight #24
12-18-2006, 10:11 AM
I like Rios a lot. Solid hitter with 25-25 potential and possibly even 30-30 given that he's only 25 & already hit 17 in 458 ABs last year. He also hit .300 and had a decent but not great .349 OBP. And with just over 2 years service time, you'd have a guy locked in a decent rates for 4 years. Given the situations, I'd bet the Sox could get him straight up for one of their veterans (or Freddy if they had him still), and possibly even get a prospect thrown in. However, in the current market I'm not sure that KW would take a Freddy-Rios trade over Gio+Floyd.

Big ? on his though is ability to play CF. ESPN has him playing 3, 5, & 6 games in CF the past 3 years. I don't want to see Pods as a regular CF so Rios being able to play strong D would be a necessary condition.

I think Toronto would require a guy who can start this year for them. They're in the mindset of competing with the Yanks & BloSawx so they'd be less interested in prospects.

I wonder if part of KW's plan is to have Coop work on all the kids & new projects, then see if he likes a couple of them, send one off (value having risen with performance in ST or early season in AAA) and get a potential impact guy. Just a theory.

White Sox Randy
12-18-2006, 11:15 AM
I'd offer Floyd, Broadway and Owens / Pods in a second.

Would Toronto take that ?

Flight #24
12-18-2006, 11:17 AM
I'd offer Floyd, Broadway and Owens / Pods in a second.

Would Toronto take that ?

Not sure Rios is a leadoff guy, depends on whether you expect Pods to be the sub-.350 2006 version or the 2005 version.

Still, in this market, I might give up 1 of the SP prospects but certainly not both and in any case, I think Toronto wants someone who can step into the rotation and neither of the guys you mentioned can currently do that. Which is why I think KW might hold onto them, and if they progress in ST, their value will be a lot higher.

White Sox Randy
12-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Not sure Rios is a leadoff guy, depends on whether you expect Pods to be the sub-.350 2006 version or the 2005 version.

Still, in this market, I might give up 1 of the SP prospects but certainly not both and in any case, I think Toronto wants someone who can step into the rotation and neither of the guys you mentioned can currently do that. Which is why I think KW might hold onto them, and if they progress in ST, their value will be a lot higher.

I hear ya. But, I wouldn't worry about the leadoff situation. I'd just try to get Rios without giving up one of our starting pitchers, Sweeney or Fields.

Maybe Kenny is thinking of signing Piniero and trading another starting pitcher ?

Who knows ? I would think Buehrle would go at the deadline and they would feel comfortable moving Haeger, Gio, Broadway, Floyd or Sisco into the rotation by then.

dwalteroo
12-18-2006, 11:53 AM
I hear ya. But, I wouldn't worry about the leadoff situation. I'd just try to get Rios without giving up one of our starting pitchers, Sweeney or Fields.

Agreed, except I'd give up Sweeney in a package deal for Rios. Obviously we're going to need Fields if we lose Crede next year. Either way though, if Toronto needs an SP, I wonder if we'd be able to do it, however....a three-way deal perhaps? We trade some combo of Broadway/Sweeney/Haeger et al for a more proven SP that we exchange for Rios? I don't know if that would be possible, but I'd like to see it.

SABRSox
12-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Agreed, except I'd give up Sweeney in a package deal for Rios. Obviously we're going to need Fields if we lose Crede next year. Either way though, if Toronto needs an SP, I wonder if we'd be able to do it, however....a three-way deal perhaps? We trade some combo of Broadway/Sweeney/Haeger et al for a more proven SP that we exchange for Rios? I don't know if that would be possible, but I'd like to see it.

I'd rather not deal Sweeney for Rios. That's just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

caulfield12
12-18-2006, 03:36 PM
I'd rather not deal Sweeney for Rios. That's just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

I don't know about that one...we have a young, pretty proven major leaguer with four years of affordability, only one more year than Brian Anderson.

It's a tough call, but not worth the Titanic comparison.