PDA

View Full Version : Pods

LITTLE NELL
12-17-2006, 12:55 PM
I live in Florida and only catch the Sox on WGN and Espn. Since I see so few games I was wondering just how bad Pods was defensively last year. I cant remember in the games I saw as him being as bad as Ive read on this forum.

Domeshot17
12-17-2006, 01:37 PM
He isn't a disaster, but he just kind of makes you mad. His arm is horrible. For being a burner, he doesn't get to balls you think he should (alot of that comes with below average reads of the ball off the bat). He gets to some balls, and catches the ones at him, but he should be better.

champagne030
12-17-2006, 02:03 PM
I live in Florida and only catch the Sox on WGN and Espn. Since I see so few games I was wondering just how bad Pods was defensively last year. I cant remember in the games I saw as him being as bad as Ive read on this forum.

The only worse arm in baseball is Pierre. He gets poor jumps on the ball, but his speed helps make up for this and is probably average at getting to balls down the line or in the gap. He plays very deep because he cannot go back on the ball and that lets a lot of balls fall in front and combined with his weak arm, lets runners to go from 1st to 3rd on singles to left.

SoxxoS
12-17-2006, 02:27 PM
The only worse arm in baseball is Pierre. He gets poor jumps on the ball, but his speed helps make up for this and is probably average at getting to balls down the line or in the gap. He plays very deep because he cannot go back on the ball and that lets a lot of balls fall in front and combined with his weak arm, lets runners to go from 1st to 3rd on singles to left.

http://mud.mm-a4.yimg.com/image/1071683651

You dont think Pods has a worse are than me, do you?

champagne030
12-17-2006, 02:33 PM
http://mud.mm-a4.yimg.com/image/1071683651

You dont think Pods has a worse are than me, do you?

Not to turn this into a religious thread, but is the Pope Catholic? :D:

Huisj
12-17-2006, 03:15 PM
He plays very deep because he cannot go back on the ball and that lets a lot of balls fall in front

He also seems to not have "closing speed" or whatever you want to call it. The most frustrating thing to watch him to is charge hard at a short fly ball only to pull up and tippie-toe for the last few steps and watch the ball land at his feet when it honestly looks like if he kept running hard he could have caught the ball at his chest.

WhiteSox5187
12-17-2006, 03:32 PM
He has a hard time reading balls off of bats and I think he is hesistant to dive for balls because he's afraid they will roll right by him and turn a single into a double. He has an amazingly bad arm but I blame this on the fact that he dislocated his shoulder in spring training. Pods was pretty banged up this year. Let's cross our fingers and hope we see a healthy Pods return to his first half of '05 form.

Patrick134
12-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Your good outfield arm usually comes into play mostly in right field, and to a lesser extent, center. Pods is an average outfielder with the glove, which is fine. He just needs to strikeout less, get back to bunting more. If he's not going to steal, lead someone else off, that way Pods can bunt them over, and beat out his share of bunts as well.

ilsox7
12-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Your good outfield arm usually comes into play mostly in right field, and to a lesser extent, center. Pods is an average outfielder with the glove, which is fine. He just needs to strikeout less, get back to bunting more. If he's not going to steal, lead someone else off, that way Pods can bunt them over, and beat out his share of bunts as well.

Pods' arm is awful. It has cost the team on numerous occasions, with the best example coming in the World Series.

Brian26
12-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Pods' arm is awful. It has cost the team on numerous occasions, with the best example coming in the World Series.

But then he made up for it with the dramatic walkoff homer an inning later :D:

ilsox7
12-17-2006, 05:55 PM
But then he made up for it with the dramatic walkoff homer an inning later :D:

True. And what a make-up it was! But still, when you are a left fielder and have the ball before a guy hits 3rd base and he still scores on you, that's not a good thing!

Hopefully Scotty is healthy this year and back to his good ways.

Brian26
12-17-2006, 05:59 PM
True. And what a make-up it was! But still, when you are a left fielder and have the ball before a guy hits 3rd base and he still scores on you, that's not a good thing!

Hopefully Scotty is healthy this year and back to his good ways.

His arm is awful, and he tip toes around like Peter Pan.

It's an odd-numbered year, so hopefully he comes back strong like '03 and '05.

hi im skot
12-17-2006, 07:08 PM

That was an amazing slide, though.

MRM
12-17-2006, 07:36 PM

If the "best example" is a game the team WON, he can't be too bad :D:

MRM
12-17-2006, 07:48 PM
I don't see Pods going anywhere simply because Kenny would be hard pressed to replace him with anyone better. Figgins? Uh, no thanks, he's basically the same guy. Baldelli? Would cost too much to get him and he's not a true leadoff hitter anyhow. Would be a good #2, tho. Crawford? Would be great, but do you want to trade the farm (literally) to get him? Nothing really there internally, either. Owens has the speed but doesn't seem too serious about getting better. I think he partially burned the bridge last year when he walked out on Cora at winter ball. Sweeny could replace him in the field, but then who leads off?

For better or worse, I don't see a viable option to replace Pods this year through trade, FA, or down on the farm. The only other guy on the team right now who could -handle- the leadoff role is Iguchi and that's definately not the ideal way to use him.

Frater Perdurabo
12-17-2006, 08:03 PM
The thing about Pods is that his speed does allow him to make up for his poor reads in part. He's a fast runner, but he's not the fastest guy in the game.

It seems to me that his base-stealing ability comes more from his technique - learning the pitchers' tendencies via film study, reading the pitcher in the game situation, getting himself a great lead, and then getting a fantastic jump.

Because he's just doesn't possess the absolute pure speed of, for example, Vince Coleman, Willie McGee, Carl Crawford or Juan Pierre, he's just not able to track down quite as many fly balls in the outfield as those prodigious base thieves were/are able to do.

slavko
12-17-2006, 09:25 PM
He's OK going to his left or right. He doesn't get good reads on the hardest to judge kind of ball, that is, the one hit hard right in his direction. He's a danger to the turf when he has to dive for a ball in front of him. He has a very weak arm.

Going back on a ball and catching it at the fence:Carlos Lee was better.

PalehosePlanet
12-17-2006, 09:35 PM
He looked very awkward and unathletic last year. Kinda like Forrest Gump.

Sweeney is definitely waaay more graceful out there.

Corlose 15
12-17-2006, 09:37 PM
He's OK going to his left or right. He doesn't get good reads on the hardest to judge kind of ball, that is, the one hit hard right in his direction. He's a danger to the turf when he has to dive for a ball in front of him. He has a very weak arm.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41173000/jpg/_41173156_cleese203.jpg
"Heretic!"

:)

barney27
12-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Saying Pods has a bad arm is an understatment. He wields a jello pudding pop out there. The only outfielder who makes Lance Johnson look like he had a cannon.

ajismyhero
12-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Saying Pods has a bad arm is an understatment. He wields a jello pudding pop out there. The only outfielder who makes Lance Johnson look like he had a cannon.

I hearted One Dog!!

PennStater98r
12-18-2006, 05:44 PM
He also seems to not have "closing speed" or whatever you want to call it. The most frustrating thing to watch him to is charge hard at a short fly ball only to pull up and tippie-toe for the last few steps and watch the ball land at his feet when it honestly looks like if he kept running hard he could have caught the ball at his chest.

That comment made me think of Carlos Lee in 2004.

dwalteroo
12-18-2006, 05:59 PM
The only worse arm in baseball is Pierre.

Timeout! Are we forgetting Johnny Damon? He has to have the worst arm in the league. I think Pods has an average arm, if he could only close in on the ball fast enough, it would seem that the ball was coming in slowly...

FedEx227
12-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Timeout! Are we forgetting Johnny Damon? He has to have the worst arm in the league. I think Pods has an average arm, if he could only close in on the ball fast enough, it would seem that the ball was coming in slowly...

It's a tie between Damon and Pierre, but at least Pierre looks like hes attempting to throw it slightly far/fast, Damon looks like a 7-year old girl.

ondafarm
12-18-2006, 10:20 PM

Looks like Jesus, acts like Judas, throws like Mary.

ondafarm
12-18-2006, 10:22 PM

Carlos Lee never played more than five steps from the fence. You oughtta catch the ball when you only have to run five steps. At least Pods always positions himself properly for the different variants of hitters he faced, deep on right-handed power, shallow on lefties.