PDA

View Full Version : Van Dyke article about Gload Trade: Rediculously stupid!

sox230
12-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Did anybody see the article by the idiot Van Dyke, describing why he thinks the Sox traded Gload? Here is the beggining:

"Continuing to stockpile young, strong arms to keep from paying veteran free-agent prices, the White Sox acquired left-hander Andrew Sisco from Kansas City on Saturday for reserve first baseman/outfielder Ross Gload."

Is he really trying to use the old "White Sox are cheap" copout on this trade? Is he trying to suggest that the Sox traded Gload to save all of the $600,000 they owed him? This is a joke!!!! Meanwhile, ofcourse the Cubune has a critical article about the breaking news that Ted Lilly was informed he cannot where the number 31, but he can wear 21. Weird that the Cubune would want to make Sammy's history on the Cubs look bad, it's not like they have any relation to the team or anything.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-061216gload,1,6327376.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

MrX
12-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Is he trying to suggest that the Sox traded Gload to save all of the $600,000 they owed him?
I read it as they'd rather trade for young arms than overpay for garbage in the current market

TDog
12-17-2006, 12:59 AM
I read it as they'd rather trade for young arms than overpay for garbage in the current market

As did I. When all you have are words on a page, with no color scheme to hint at the inflection the writer might impart with them, people sometimes read criticism where it is unintended.

It is a fact that the White Sox have not signed any free agent pitchers, but have acquired four pitchers in trades for three players, including two pitchers who had disappointing seasons in 2006. Last season held disappointments for pitchers they acquired, but they have young, strong arms.

I don't expect future pitching stars to be among this off-season's free-agent pitchers, so, of course, it is possible I am the one reading something unintended into the bolded Tribune quote.

cheeses_h_rice
12-17-2006, 01:09 AM
Btw, it's spelled "ridiculous."

itsnotrequired
12-17-2006, 01:13 AM

kittle42 strikes again...

:redneck

cheeses_h_rice
12-17-2006, 01:23 AM

I couldn't help it. "Rediculous" is such a "ridiculous" misspelling it's like nails on a chalkboard.

Nellie_Fox
12-17-2006, 02:13 AM
Btw, it's spelled "ridiculous."Thank you. I was going to, but I seem to really, really piss people off when I do.

DSpivack
12-17-2006, 02:45 AM
I couldn't help it. "Rediculous" is such a "ridiculous" misspelling it's like nails on a chalkboard.

What does grammar have to do with B Mac? :tongue:

Joosh
12-17-2006, 03:43 AM
Well, this is stupid. Whats there left to overspend on?

And, I've got a feeling that this kid is gonna be great for our bullpen next year. The 2007 Sox just got better oin my book.

Yay!

100 Year Itch
12-17-2006, 04:26 AM

Concur.

The red/ri is becoming as symptomatic as the there/their/they're issue, on the interwebs.

Is must be a pronunciation issue. Whred-iculous versus Whri-diculous. The proper, or generally accepted, pronunciation is Whri-(like the Ninendo Wii, kiddies)-diculous.

BTW, my use of commas may be both erroneous and superfluous. Sorry, I was tripping through 96.8% of my English courses.

Flight #24
12-17-2006, 08:19 AM
its not limited to the Cubune. the ST said "Williams may have recently acquired 2/3 of his 2008 starting rotation". Ummmm......there's at least 4 other pitchers under contract through 08. So unless they trade 2 of them AND let Buehrle walk, that ain't happening. Basically, that ain't happenin'.

Buffoons.

Joosh
12-17-2006, 08:26 AM
its not limited to the Cubune. the ST said "Williams may have recently acquired 2/3 of his 2008 starting rotation". Ummmm......there's at least 4 other pitchers under contract through 08. So unless they trade 2 of them AND let Buehrle walk, that ain't happening. Basically, that ain't happenin'.

Buffoons.

I think the real question here is how they got two-thirds out of five positions. :D:

DumpJerry
12-17-2006, 09:07 AM

Pardon The Interruption, but players wear jersey numbers, they don't where the numbers.:rolleyes:

WizardsofOzzie
12-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Dude, whats the score?

batmanZoSo
12-17-2006, 11:40 AM
For the first time I'm really, really bothered by the spin job the media has been putting on the Sox operations in the offseason.

slavko
12-17-2006, 12:02 PM
He has a nice slider. He is 6' 10". He seems to steer the ball. We usually did well against him. He reminds me of a lefty Jon Rauch, but not as bad. Coop, do your stuff.

kittle42
12-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Thank you. I was going to, but I seem to really, really piss people off when I do.

They deserve it. :D:

Joosh
12-17-2006, 01:37 PM
They deserve it. :D:

Ugh, get over yourselves.

cheeses_h_rice
12-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Ugh, get over yourselves.

Don't you have a whale to save?

:rolleyes:

Joosh
12-17-2006, 02:09 PM

Wow, sorry for posting a relevant news topic.

Go **** yourself.

PaulDrake
12-17-2006, 04:10 PM

Go **** yourself. It's OK. Most of us were geniuses at age 17 too. It takes a while to overcome the condition.

Joosh
12-17-2006, 04:14 PM
It's OK. Most of us were geniuses at age 17 too. It takes a while to overcome the condition.

Once again, go **** yourself.

santo=dorf
12-17-2006, 04:17 PM

http://nuke-the-whales.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/nuke-the-whales8.jpg

ondafarm
12-17-2006, 04:18 PM
For the first time I'm really, really bothered by the spin job the media has been putting on the Sox operations in the offseason.

I've been very bothered by the media for awhile now. Last time I mentioned something about their collective inteligence (or lack thereof), Daver busted me.

jabrch
12-17-2006, 05:35 PM

Go **** yourself.

It's OK. Most of us were geniuses at age 17 too. It takes a while to overcome the condition.

Once again, go **** yourself.

Leave him alone Cheeses, he just lost "an old friend". Think about it - the Yang Tze river will never be the same without it's dolpins, and my Chinese Tuna fish will now officially environmentally safe since the freaking dolphins finally aren't interrrupting the fishermen.

Chinese River Dolphins?

Joosh
12-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Leave him alone Cheeses, he just lost "an old friend". Think about it - the Yang Tze river will never be the same without it's dolpins, and my Chinese Tuna fish will now officially environmentally safe since the freaking dolphins finally aren't interrrupting the fishermen.

Chinese River Dolphins?

Once again, it was a joke, and didn't involve you.

Wait for it... Go **** yourself.

Myrtle72
12-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Wow, guys, there's no reason to gang up on Joosh like that. He never did anything to you. Seriously, be nice.

Daver
12-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Once again, it was a joke, and didn't involve you.

Wait for it... Go **** yourself.

You're a joke, enjoy your vacation.

ZombieRob
12-17-2006, 06:25 PM
I guess im in the minority when it comes to sports writers well at least a select few . I think Cowley is good and a class act who responds to e-mails sent to him as well as Mark Gonzo" and Scott Gregor is good .We can't alway agree with their opinions but that doesn't make them bad writers .We know that Jay the Joke is what he is and gets tiresome bitching about the same thing over and over and that goes for his sidekick Greg Couch.Writers like Sullivan and Kiley who used to kiss ass made people sick hell ,they even made Cub fans sick witht he Blue Kool-Aid.It musta made Sully stew that year he had to cover the White Sox hehe ill never forgive him for that time ,when all he did was gripe about our beloved.
And 1 more thing on Sully .how dare he take Cowleys privlage to vote ? I may be wrong and someone can correct ,me but isn't voting based on opinion?

MRM
12-17-2006, 06:31 PM
And 1 more thing on Sully .how dare he take Cowleys privlage to vote ? I may be wrong and someone can correct ,me but isn't voting based on opinion?

Yes, but when you place that vote you are representing the organization you work for. When your "opinion" is so out of whack with the rest of the free world it makes the paper look bad. If an Editorial guy wrote a piece praising Al-Quada it would be solely opinion based but he probably wouldn't be employed long....

ZombieRob
12-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Yes, but when you place that vote you are representing the organization you work for. When your "opinion" is so out of whack with the rest of the free world it makes the paper look bad. If an Editorial guy wrote a piece praising Al-Quada it would be solely opinion based but he probably wouldn't be employed long....

I see your point but i believ he based the voting on what the players meant to their teams and the league .example if Jeter went down the yanks would still be in decent shape .If dye goes down i dont think the Sox win even 85 games last year.

MRM
12-17-2006, 07:37 PM
I see your point but i believ he based the voting on what the players meant to their teams and the league .example if Jeter went down the yanks would still be in decent shape .If dye goes down i dont think the Sox win even 85 games last year.

OK, but didn't he have Jeter like 7th? And as many injuries as the Yankees had this year, it's hard to imagine they'd have been just fine without him. Homerism is fine, but there has to be *some* objectivity down the line if you are going to retain *any* sence of legitimacy.

santo=dorf
12-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Pardon The Interruption, but players wear jersey numbers, they don't where the numbers.:rolleyes:
...and "Van Dyke" doesn't write for the Tribune, he's in the upcoming Ben Stiller movie, Night at the Museum.

ZombieRob
12-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Alex woulda moved to short and i guess the real MVP of the Yanbks was joe Torre as much as it pains me to say it.But ok shame on Cowley but shame on The N.Y medie they think everything should be handed to their athletes and their athletes only and nothing exists out of N.Y attitude.They think everything should be owed to them and handed to them .and i at least Give Joe props for not backing away from his opinion and taking on those 2 dopes on wfan.

MRM
12-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Alex woulda moved to short and i guess the real MVP of the Yanbks was joe Torre as much as it pains me to say it.But ok shame on Cowley but shame on The N.Y medie they think everything should be handed to their athletes and their athletes only and nothing exists out of N.Y attitude.They think everything should be owed to them and handed to them .and i at least Give Joe props for not backing away from his opinion and taking on those 2 dopes on wfan.

I don't live in the Chicago market anymore so I don't know anything about his radio interviews. I just know when I read the story I agreed that he was way outta line with his votes. FWIW I don't think Frank should have received as much MVP consideration as he did, either.

I guess MLB needs to determine exactly what an MVP is. Is it the most valuable player to his team? Most valuable to the league? Is it the guy with the best stats? Seems like the criteria changes all the time. Dawson won it with the Cubs on a last place team.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-17-2006, 11:19 PM

There are two times I'll call someone out on grammar (well three if their post falls under both scenarios):

1. If the poster is calling someone an idiot or ripping on someone. (i.e. You are a maroon).

2. If the poster is making a point I disagree with vehemently. (i.e. Oprah is the best show on television).

"Anyone who hates Oprah is a maroon" would be the third type of correction; a jackpot as enjoyable as a combo beef and sausage sandwich from Jay's Beef.

PS - I'm only human (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMS6RF_n028).

:)

SBSoxFan
12-18-2006, 12:25 AM
There are two times I'll call someone out on grammar (well three if their post falls under both scenarios):

1. If the poster is calling someone an idiot or ripping on someone. (i.e. You are a maroon).

Even if it's this guy?

"What a maroon."http://aavish1.tripod.com/photo_fun/Bugs_Bunny.jpg

ewokpelts
12-18-2006, 03:53 AM
OK, but didn't he have Jeter like 7th? And as many injuries as the Yankees had this year, it's hard to imagine they'd have been just fine without him. Homerism is fine, but there has to be *some* objectivity down the line if you are going to retain *any* sence of legitimacy.
not to defned cowley or anything, but he voted morneau first in mvp voting, NOT dye

lbtigerfan
12-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Wow, guys, there's no reason to gang up on Joosh like that. He never did anything to you. Seriously, be nice.

That's like talking to a wall. Any chance some people get to try and make others look stupid (even if the person their making fun of has made a pretty good case for him/herself) they'll take it. Makes 'em feel good, or something:dunno:

Boys will be boys:rolleyes:

PennStater98r
12-18-2006, 09:33 AM

Do we even want to talk about:

"ofcourse the Cubune has a critical article about the breaking news that Ted Lilly was informed he cannot where the number 31, but he can wear 21."

PaulDrake
12-18-2006, 10:25 AM
That's like talking to a wall. Any chance some people get to try and make others look stupid (even if the person their making fun of has made a pretty good case for him/herself) they'll take it. Makes 'em feel good, or something:dunno:

Boys will be boys:rolleyes: I usually give attaboys/girls, and when I disagree try to be on my best behavior. That particular poster got off easy if you ask me.

chisoxmike
12-18-2006, 10:35 AM

Chinese River Dolphins?

:rolling:

the gooch
12-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Screw that. SIX other yankees got MVP votes. So it's hard to imagine they'd have been not fine without him. To say Jeter is the only one that showed up that year for the Yankees is false.

Yankees receiving votes:
Damon
Jeter
Giambi
A. Rodriguez
Cano

Wang
Rivera

-

Jeter was voted 6th by Cowley. Behind Morneau, Dye, Thomas, Santana, and Ortiz. Can you 'objectively' tell me there is no room for even an argument between Jeter and these 5? Others voted Jeter as low as 4th.

Only Cowley voted Ortiz (5th) ahead of Jeter, though someone thought Ortiz was good enough for 2nd place.

Only Cowley voted Dye (2nd) ahead of Jeter, though others voted Dye as high as 3rd, while Jeter's lowest vote was 4th. (And according to you homerism is fine.)

5 Others voted the same players in their top 6 as Cowley.
Boyce (KC)
Slusser (OAK)
Grant (TEX)
O'Brien (TEX)
Encina (TB)

The only thing I think Cowley did wrong was put AJ in over Mauer, but then again 4 others didn't have Mauer in his top ten.

soxinem1
12-23-2006, 12:53 PM
He has a nice slider. He is 6' 10". He seems to steer the ball. We usually did well against him. He reminds me of a lefty Jon Rauch, but not as bad.

What is so bad about Rauch? He sure would look good in our BP right now.:?: