PDA

View Full Version : J.D. Drew flunked physical????

Fenway
12-16-2006, 09:09 AM
The Red Sox have never officially announced they signed Drew and now work is leaking out why. Wouldn't this be a kicker if Drew walked away from $33 Million and then had trouble signing elsewhere.

There appears to have been a problem with the player’s physical exam.
While Red Sox officials and Drew’s agent, Scott Boras, have been playing word games, indications are that Drew’s recent physical with the team has raised a red flag. For example, the Red Sox still have not announced Drew’s signing despite the fact that nearly two weeks have passed since Boras stood in a Florida hotel lobby and announced that the team and his client had agreed on a five-year, $70 million contract.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=172329

caulfield12
12-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Can Clemens play the OF?

Well, they still have Crisp, Kapler, Willy Mo Pena...will they look at bringing Nixon back now?

DumpJerry
12-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Can Clemens play the OF?

Well, they still have Crisp, Kapler, Willy Mo Pena...will they look at bringing Nixon back now?
IIRC, Kapler announced his retirement the other day.

caulfield12
12-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Is he going into professional bodybuilding?

itsnotrequired
12-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Flunked the physical? He probably should have studied harder.

*groan*

DSpivack
12-16-2006, 12:23 PM
IIRC, Kapler announced his retirement the other day.

Going to be a minor league manager, no?

sox1970
12-16-2006, 12:24 PM

Yes

Fenway
12-16-2006, 12:33 PM

With Single-A Greenville

http://www.greenvilledrive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=229

StillMissOzzie
12-16-2006, 07:26 PM
With Single-A Greenville

http://www.greenvilledrive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=229

My nephew was on the Greenville Drive last year, until he got a late-season call-up to Wilmington to pitch a few games for their post-season.

And now, it looks like he gets to head west to that Lancaster, CA team...

EDIT: Meanwhile, back on topic...do you think that the Dodgers would have him back now? I hope not, and if I were Dodger brass, I'd certainly tell him to attempt the classic impossible sex act, but that's just me.

SMO
:gulp:

jabrch
12-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Wait a second...JD Drew is not healthy? How is that possible?

If it weren't for the WS in 2004, Theo would be on the short list of worst GMs in baseball given how little he has done with how much he has available to him.

champagne030
12-17-2006, 01:58 PM
The Red Sox have never officially announced they signed Drew and now work is leaking out why. Wouldn't this be a kicker if Drew walked away from $33 Million and then had trouble signing elsewhere.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=172329

Theo and the Red Sox front office is a ****ing joke. Someone tell Theo and Bill James that this isn't fantasy.

Fenway
12-17-2006, 02:08 PM

If it weren't for the WS in 2004, Theo would be on the short list of worst GMs in baseball given how little he has done with how much he has available to him.

If the Red Sox don't make the playoffs in 2007 Theo will be fired. Lucchino will demand it as will the fanbase.

Mike Lupica wrote on Theo this morning
Mike Lupica's Shooting From The Lip: Theo's solo gig ends (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/story/480754p-404567c.html)

Epstein didn't make all of the bad moves that finally knocked the Red Sox all the way back to third place. He wasn't responsible for the injuries that helped sink the Red Sox after the trade deadline last year. But he is on the books for a lot of stinkers, from Matt Clement to Edgar Renteria to Coco Crisp. There was almost another one this past week before Lucchino did the most to get a deal out of Scott Boras on Daisuke Matsuzaka.

jabrch
12-17-2006, 08:55 PM
If the Red Sox don't make the playoffs in 2007 Theo will be fired. Lucchino will demand it as will the fanbase.

Mike Lupica's Shooting From The Lip: Theo's solo gig ends (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/story/480754p-404567c.html)

They should have never brought him back last year. I'd bet there are at least a dozen guys on this board who would be better MLB GMs than Theo.

Fenway
12-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Drew is taking a second physical today and the rumors coming out of Fenway is the deal is off at the numbers mentioned. I can't believe Boras didn't have his own people check him out before he walked away from 33 Million.

palehozenychicty
12-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Drew is taking a second physical today and the rumors coming out of Fenway is the deal is off at the numbers mentioned. I can't believe Boras didn't have his own people check him out before he walked away from 33 Million.

A crack in the Boras wall, huh? :D:

chaerulez
12-18-2006, 08:52 AM

Honestly the east coast media is ****ing stupid. They had Renteria for one year and he had a bit oif a down year so they send him packing. Looks to me he rebounded real well with Atlanta. Same with Crisp, I can only hope Theo listens to the stupid Boston media and trades him to the White Sox for nothing because we could use a player like Crisp.

palehozenychicty
12-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Honestly the east coast media is ****ing stupid. They had Renteria for one year and he had a bit oif a down year so they send him packing. Looks to me he rebounded real well with Atlanta. Same with Crisp, I can only hope Theo listens to the stupid Boston media and trades him to the White Sox for nothing because we could use a player like Crisp.

He can be easily had, if KW wants him.

SOXSINCE'70
12-18-2006, 09:17 AM
He can be easily had, if KW wants him.

Do you think the Sox would have to part with an SP
(starting pitcher) to make this deal happen??

Just asking.

Fenway
12-18-2006, 11:29 AM
more on Drew from a Boston Globe web update

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2006/12/how_minor_is_dr.html

But according to respected Baseball Prospectus medical writer Will Carroll, sources said that Drew has problems in his shoulder that “could shut down his power.”

Carroll wrote:
"Drew had minor surgery on his shoulder after the 2005 season, so it’s possible that there’s more damage in there. It’s important to note that in free agent acquisitions, a team often does not have the benefit of requesting medical records from his previous team prior to signing. Speculation centers on the damage to Drew’s shoulder being more like Scott Rolen circa 2005."

This is consistent with information the Globe has received.

The reaction to the Drew signing was negative in Boston to begin with and with this info coming out you may well see Boston walk away from it. One thing is certain, the Dodgers have to be overjoyed by this.

SABRSox
12-18-2006, 11:40 AM
more on Drew from a Boston Globe web update

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2006/12/how_minor_is_dr.html

The reaction to the Drew signing was negative in Boston to begin with and with this info coming out you may well see Boston walk away from it. One thing is certain, the Dodgers have to be overjoyed by this.

They might be if they feel Drew will come crawling back, for even less than they signed him for before.

I don't know, though. Theo is pretty dumb. Maybe he'll just throw more money at Drew's shoulder and hope the problem just goes away.

Fenway
12-18-2006, 11:50 AM
They might be if they feel Drew will come crawling back, for even less than they signed him for before.

I don't know, though. Theo is pretty dumb. Maybe he'll just throw more money at Drew's shoulder and hope the problem just goes away.

Maybe not as dumb as you think. After all he signed the Boras client they really wanted. Maybe the Red Sox knew all along there was a possible medical snag.

SABRSox
12-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Maybe not as dumb as you think. After all he signed the Boras client they really wanted. Maybe the Red Sox knew all along there was a possible medical snag.

:hawk
"STRETCH!"

Ol' No. 2
12-18-2006, 12:16 PM
How much longer before Drew turns up in Vienna?

Mickster
12-18-2006, 12:26 PM

:maggs
I'm insulted!

palehozenychicty
12-18-2006, 01:21 PM

:rolling:

No kidding. I bet that he's already phoned Maggs for the best hotels and restaurants in town

PennStater98r
12-18-2006, 03:13 PM

He won't go to Vienna - he'll just hit the DL time and again with "hernias" in his shoulder.

Flight #24
12-18-2006, 03:39 PM
He won't go to Vienna - he'll just hit the DL time and again with "hernias" in his shoulder.

I'm reminded of a Beavis & Butthead episode...."My liver, my liver"

stl_sox_fan
12-18-2006, 03:48 PM

Yeah, his pinkie is still sore after the blistering 60mph curve ball Boomer Wells hit him with back in 2001.

Fenway
12-19-2006, 09:02 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/12/19/sox_drew_apart/?page=full

The Red Sox have questions about the condition of J.D. Drew's surgically repaired right shoulder, questions that have kept them from finalizing a deal for the free agent right fielder two weeks after Drew's agent, Scott Boras, announced at the winter meetings that the Red Sox and Drew had come to terms on a five-year, $70 million contract.

Until the parties sign off on the deal, Drew remains a free agent, according to Gene Orza, chief operating officer for the Major League Baseball Players Association, who confirmed that the Sox raised questions about Drew's shoulder after he underwent the physical upon which the deal was conditioned.

soxinem1
12-19-2006, 09:29 AM
In response to Drew failing the physical (if he did), I think Theo should throw in an extra year and guarantee the options. Yep, 6 yrs/$110 million. Then he'll show the world how incompetent him and his team of super-scouts and talent evaluators are.

And as far as leaking the signing of Drew, I wouldn't be suprised if it was Theo himself!

StillMissOzzie
12-20-2006, 04:41 PM
And in today's ESPN.com coverage of this matter of earth-shattering importance, Bora$ is balking at contractual language that would protect the Red Sox in the event of more shoulder problems from JD Drew.

Don't you just love the ethical and honorable business dealings with $cott Bora$ will hype his boy for two more years and $42M more dollars than the Dodger deal, but digs in his heels when it comes to the Red Sox trying to hedge their bet on this chronic DL resident?

SMO
:gulp:

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2006, 07:35 PM
And in today's ESPN.com coverage of this matter of earth-shattering importance, Bora$ is balking at contractual language that would protect the Red Sox in the event of more shoulder problems from JD Drew.

Don't you just love the ethical and honorable business dealings with $cott Bora$ will hype his boy for two more years and $42M more dollars than the Dodger deal, but digs in his heels when it comes to the Red Sox trying to hedge their bet on this chronic DL resident?

SMO
:gulp:What's the beef? He's Drew's agent. He's paid to look after Drew's interests. The Red Sox have people who are paid to look after their interests.

Fenway
12-30-2006, 01:52 PM
What's the beef? He's Drew's agent. He's paid to look after Drew's interests. The Red Sox have people who are paid to look after their interests.

And no resolution in sight either as we enter 2007

Drew negotiations likely next week (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/)

The Boras side has indicated there's nothing wrong with Drew's shoulder, while the Red Sox saw something specific in the shoulder that caused them to pause.

It is that "something" that is currently hanging up the deal. That "something" could be dealt with specific language that protects the Red Sox in case Drew misses any appreciable time due to an injury to that specific area of the shoulder or concern.

That would likely involve the reduction of guaranteed money.

nedlug
12-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Wouldn't that be funny if JD ends up with less money than he had before?

Especially with the rumblings about JD having illegal talks with the Red Cubs while under contract to LA.

VenturaIsAGod
12-31-2006, 02:56 AM
I'd love it if the Red Sox did get some kind of "protection against Drew losing power" in the contract. This would lead to a hilarious three at-bats with Drew swinging as hard as he could to prove he can hit a home run, and then throwing out his back and landing on the DL.

brewcrew/chisox
01-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Wouldn't that be funny if JD ends up with less money than he had before?

Especially with the rumblings about JD having illegal talks with the Red Cubs while under contract to LA.

FWIW, all reports of these illegal talks have been revealed to be hogwash.