PDA

View Full Version : New guy in town!

uksoxfan
03-09-2002, 10:11 AM
Hi all. My first post but some of you may have met me on other SOX sites. I've been looking in here too so I thought I might as well say Hello................

For those who don't know me, I'm a brit. who caught the baseball bug back in '99' when I first visited the U.S. & caught a few games on T.V. I enjoyed the game(especially when I began to understand what the hell was going on ...lol). The next thing I thought was to pick a team to follow & so I decided on the Chicago White Sox, initially due to the colours( black & white are the colours of the soccer,rugby & basketball teams in my hometown) & also because I'd bought a SOX game-cap in Fla. just because I thought the logo was cool! Since then I've read quite a few books on the history of the game & the major league teams & so my support of the SOX has grown.

On my visits to the U.S.A I now try to get to see as many games as I can & up to now I've been able to visit Comiskey, the Trop., Dodger Stadium, Edison Field & Bank-One Ballpark. I'm visiting again in May so maybe I'll meet a few of you guys at Comiskey then.

All the Best..............Keeping the Faith.

:) :gulp: :D: :smile:

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-09-2002, 10:18 AM
Greetings!
Great story!
Don't be a stranger!

:b&b
Ozzy Rules!
:gulp:

foulkesfan11
03-09-2002, 11:18 AM
Welcome UKSoxFan! You made a good choice! THe Sox are a fun team to watch. Their management pretty much sucks, but the team is fun & wants to win!

Cheers! :gulp:

Soxheads
03-09-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by uksoxfan
Hi all. My first post but some of you may have met me on other SOX sites. I've been looking in here too so I thought I might as well say Hello................

For those who don't know me, I'm a brit. who caught the baseball bug back in '99' when I first visited the U.S. & caught a few games on T.V. I enjoyed the game(especially when I began to understand what the hell was going on ...lol). The next thing I thought was to pick a team to follow & so I decided on the Chicago White Sox, initially due to the colours( black & white are the colours of the soccer,rugby & basketball teams in my hometown) & also because I'd bought a SOX game-cap in Fla. just because I thought the logo was cool! Since then I've read quite a few books on the history of the game & the major league teams & so my support of the SOX has grown.

On my visits to the U.S.A I now try to get to see as many games as I can & up to now I've been able to visit Comiskey, the Trop., Dodger Stadium, Edison Field & Bank-One Ballpark. I'm visiting again in May so maybe I'll meet a few of you guys at Comiskey then.

All the Best..............Keeping the Faith.

:) :gulp: :D: :smile:

Welcome to WSI, uksoxfan! :gulp:

baggio202
03-09-2002, 12:30 PM
hey brian..nice to see ya here....

FarWestChicago
03-09-2002, 01:40 PM
Welcome to WSI, mate! :gulp: :gulp: (You get an extra stout for being a Brit) :smile:

uksoxfan
03-09-2002, 01:46 PM
Hi Baggio.............as you probably know I get around....lol.

Hope to meet you this year & share a :gulp: or 2.

Lisa
03-09-2002, 03:35 PM
Hi Bri! Glad you made it! Hey, you have to email me about when you're coming out this way - I think I lost your last one. I have to know when to be prepared to buy you drinks! :gulp:

pearso66
03-09-2002, 05:21 PM
welcome, its always nice to have sox fans spanning the globe

ihatethecubs
03-09-2002, 06:40 PM
thats a funny story because my favorite UK soccer team is newcastle because thats where my grandfather is from and also newcastle brown ale is the best!

uksoxfan
03-10-2002, 12:09 AM
Hi Lisa, nice to hear from you again. We're coming over again in May, when the Yankees are in town! I'll keep in touch & e-mail nearer the date, I did e-mail all of you guys that I met last year but maybe you've changed your address. If you still see HSC1, she has all the details of our trip.

ihatethecubs.........hey!, it's a small world. I'm sure your grandfather is a fine man!!!! I found a bar in Chicago that served Newcastle Brown Ale on tap last time.............at $4.50 a pint!....so I only had a couple....lol.

Cheers :gulp: :gulp:

czalgosz
03-10-2002, 12:13 AM
Hi Lisa, nice to hear from you again. We're coming over again in May, when the Yankees are in town! I'll keep in touch & e-mail nearer the date, I did e-mail all of you guys that I met last year but maybe you've changed your address. If you still see HSC1, she has all the details of our trip.

ihatethecubs.........hey!, it's a small world. I'm sure your grandfather is a fine man!!!! I found a bar in Chicago that served Newcastle Brown Ale on tap last time.............at $4.50 a pint!....so I only had a couple....lol.

Cheers :gulp: :gulp:

Newcastle Brown Ale is the best beer in the world. That's all I have to say about that.

Vsahajpal
03-10-2002, 12:16 AM
Newcastle!?

bla!

I have a flat in Angel about a stone's throw from Highbury, huge Gunners fan...but then again, I'm a Cubs fan too, heh.

doublem23
03-10-2002, 12:26 AM
Welcome to WSI, ukSoxfan!!! :)

nut_stock
03-10-2002, 12:49 AM
Welcome uksoxfan!

You're in a unique position. You've got to be the only one on this list who doesn't have to put up with these lowlife people known as "Cub fans".

Go forth and spread the Sox gospel all throughout Europe!!!

FarWestChicago
03-10-2002, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Welcome uksoxfan!

You're in a unique position. You've got to be the only one on this list who doesn't have to put up with these lowlife people known as "Cub fans". We Left Coasters don't have to deal with them. :smile:

uksoxfan
03-10-2002, 07:45 AM
Vsahajpal, methinks you jest with me!! :D:

It must be strange to be a Gooner & a cUBBie............. :?:

One a perennial winner, whilst the other .............I'm sure my fellow SOX fans can work out that one.

BTW...........if you've got that good of an arm, that can throw a stone that far, you should be playing RF at Wrigley. You'd probably hit more dingers than you know who!!

Cheers, :gulp:

FarWestChicago
03-10-2002, 12:27 PM

One a perennial winner, whilst the other .............I'm sure my fellow SOX fans can work out that one.

BTW...........if you've got that good of an arm, that can throw a stone that far, you should be playing RF at Wrigley. You'd probably hit more dingers than you know who!!

Cheers, :gulp: LMAO!!! I really like this guy. You can always count on the Brits!! :gulp:

SOXSINCE'70
03-10-2002, 12:41 PM
Welcome back,Bri.Good to have you aboard.

Vsahajpal
03-10-2002, 07:17 PM

Cheers, :gulp:

Hmm, rf at Wrigley, a guy can dream can't he?

relatively speaking, its very close to Highbury!

as long as you hate ManUre, you're ok with me!

PaleHoseGeorge
03-10-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Hmm, rf at Wrigley, a guy can dream can't he?

relatively speaking, its very close to Highbury!

as long as you hate ManUre, you're ok with me!

What? The exterior of Highbury has the English equivalent to landmark status, but that doesn't extend to the inside like the Urinal.

As an Arsenal supporter, I take great issue with comparing a perrennial league champion contender with the Lovable Losers.

Maybe Tottenham, but definitely not Arsenal. :gulp:

BTW, welcome to the board, UK. This site was inspired by an Arsenal supporter's fan page. You can find a link to it in our Links index at left.

Vsahajpal
03-10-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

What? The exterior of Highbury has the English equivalent to landmark status, but that doesn't extend to the inside like the Urinal.

No! I meant my flat in Angel is close (in proximity) to Highbury.

uksoxfan
03-10-2002, 08:02 PM

As an Arsenal supporter, I take great issue with comparing a perrennial league champion contender with the Lovable Losers.

Maybe Tottenham, but definitely not Arsenal. :gulp:

BTW, welcome to the board, UK. This site was inspired by an Arsenal supporter's fan page. You can find a link to it in our Links index at left.

As you're probably aware the Arse are moving to a new site to develop a new stadium & are selling Highbury to be developed into private housing for persons with large amounts of disposable income. Maybe those guys on the Northside should consider this too I'm sure the patrons who meet socially on those long summer days at Addison & Clark wouldn't notice too much, would they?

PSG........Newcastle played your Gooners last night......score 1-1.
Replay on the 23rd in London. Tottenham lost 0-4 to Chelsea today...........that should cheer you up!........I guess we should get back to talking about Baseball now......lol.

Cheers :gulp:

RedPinStripes
03-10-2002, 08:06 PM
Welcome brian! long time no talk. :gulp:

uksoxfan
03-10-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Welcome brian! long time no talk. :gulp:

Hi again,
When the regular season begins I'll be checking out the chat rooms to keep in touch with you all.

BTW.........You list Alcatraz as your location..........we're visiting S.F. in August..........hope you're gonna show me around the Rock!!.........lol. Planning on going to the Colisuem to see the SOX @ A's too.

cheers :gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-10-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
No! I meant my flat in Angel is close (in proximity) to Highbury.

How did someone this intelligent and this well-traveled become a Flubs fan?

Vic, you are truly an anomaly.

:)

FarWestChicago
03-10-2002, 09:09 PM

How did someone this intelligent and this well-traveled become a Flubs fan?This is truly a great mystery. I can't figure it out. :smile:

ilovemags30
03-10-2002, 09:59 PM
welcome to wsi!!! :)

Vsahajpal
03-11-2002, 02:01 AM

How did someone this intelligent and this well-traveled become a Flubs fan?

Vic, you are truly an anomaly.

:)

I used to come home from school everyday and turn on channel 9 to watch baseball. My fondest memory was seeing Lee Arthur Smith closing them out, with Leon Durham, Sandberg, Dunston, Dernier , Hawk, Moreland.

First game I went to was a Mets/Cubs twinbill, it was actually a field trip (hell of a school, huh?); I was 6, and all I remember was eating graham crackers and hearing the Jody Davis chants.

I do have some Sox memories, when they were televised on Fox 32 a long time ago. Was there a better double play duo then Fred Manrique and Ozzie Guillen!?!

no!

But anyways, I loved baseball from the start, and I became a Cubs fan because they were "easier to access"

I need a vodka collins

Nellie_Fox
03-11-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Newcastle Brown Ale is the best beer in the world. That's all I have to say about that.
I've never had Newcastle Brown. I have found Harp Lager to be quite tasty, but then that's Irish, isn't it. Welcome UKSOXFAN!

longshot7
03-11-2002, 03:35 AM

Wow, we Gunners fans are all over the place, aren't we?

how many of us are on this board?

RedPinStripes
03-11-2002, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

I've never had Newcastle Brown. I have found Harp Lager to be quite tasty, but then that's Irish, isn't it. Welcome UKSOXFAN!

Can't beat a good ol' Sam Adams. :gulp:

RedPinStripes
03-11-2002, 06:57 AM

Hi again,
When the regular season begins I'll be checking out the chat rooms to keep in touch with you all.

BTW.........You list Alcatraz as your location..........we're visiting S.F. in August..........hope you're gonna show me around the Rock!!.........lol. Planning on going to the Colisuem to see the SOX @ A's too.

cheers :gulp:

Most people know I'm from the chicago land area and i got bored saying i lived beind the scoreboard and JoeBatters already says he lives in hell, so I just decided to be different . lol. I'll be moving again soon . i'll think of something odd again :D:

Looking forward to meeting you at the park this season!

PaleHoseGeorge
03-11-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by longshot7

Wow, we Gunners fans are all over the place, aren't we?

how many of us are on this board?

To my knowledge, you, me, and Vic are the only Arsenal supporters. Ihatethecubs supports Newcastle (another team with cool black and white team colors, BTW). I seem to recall somebody here claiming to support either MoanU or the Scousers, but I can't remember who.

All of this would come as surprising news to Halamadrid and the other Chicago Fire fans who invaded WSI last November. They were whining about what a bunch of knuckle-dragging apes we were for not appreciating "the beautiful game".

I like soccer. I just don't want their "B" grade MLS players tearing up my baseball field. Naperville is a good place for them.

RedPinStripes
03-11-2002, 09:39 AM

I like soccer. I just don't want their "B" grade MLS players tearing up my baseball field. Naperville is a good place for them.

They can play at Marquette Park for all i care.

uksoxfan
03-11-2002, 12:18 PM

To my knowledge, you, me, and Vic are the only Arsenal supporters. Ihatethecubs supports Newcastle (another team with cool black and white team colors, BTW). I seem to recall somebody here claiming to support either MoanU or the Scousers, but I can't remember who.

All of this would come as surprising news to Halamadrid and the other Chicago Fire fans who invaded WSI last November. They were whining about what a bunch of knuckle-dragging apes we were for not appreciating "the beautiful game".

It looks like it's ihatethecubs & myself against a mob of Gooners on a Chicago White Sox board!!...............now that's the last thing I'd have thought would have been a topic here....lol. :D:

We've got an important game coming up at Highbury on the 23rd.........may the best team win.( as long as they wear the same colours as the SOX!). Competitive sport on my side of the pond to get us all ready for the regular season..........

BTW.......I've sort of mellowed toward ManUre. Going there these days is the Soccer equivalent of visiting Disney........tourists from all over the World sampling the Old Trafford experience, taking photo's & buying souvenirs.

Bottom's up, Chaps! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: