PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Cubs: So Many Moves, Not So Much Talent

WhiteSoxFan84
12-15-2006, 06:09 PM
They've spent close to $300 million so far this offseason. They've acquired arguably the best free agent hitter of this offseason. They re-signed their best hitter from last year. They've signed two starting pitchers. They've picked up a few role players. They seem to be close agreeing on a deal with Cliff Floyd.

With all this being said, can you believe they've only done ONE thing right so far this year? I think so and here's why...

- They sign Ted Lilly instead of Barry Zito or Jason Schmidt. You're regarded as one of the highest grossing teams in the league with one of the biggest fanbases in the league. Why settle for anything less than the best? Go pick up the best available lefty or the best righty available.

- They sign Jason Marquis instead of Jeff Suppan or Gil Meche. They signed a Cardinal, but the wrong one. Suppan had the clearer the better year and the better stuff last season. Once again, the Cubs say, "hey, we got a starter!" and the Cub fans start celebrating. Too bad you got possibly the worst one possible.

- They sign Mark Derosa instead of Marcus Giles. I'll cut them some slack on this one as they didn't know Giles would be a free agent when they signed Derosa, but, that's what you get for rushing and overpaying a mediocre player.

- They will sign Cliff Floyd (if the reports out of New York are true) instead instead of Kenny Lofton, Juan Pierre, or Dave Roberts. They need a leadoff man that can play centerfield so who do they sign? Cliff Floyd!

- They sign Alfonso Soriano. Probably the ONLY thing they've done right so far this season. His contract is probably a joke but he seems to be solid. Some may argue that Carlos Lee would've been better for the Cubs when you look at his stats at Wrigley (.302 BA, .366 OBP, 7 HR, and 12 RBI in 63 at-bats in the last 3 seasons) compared to Soriano's (1 hit in 12 at-bats the last 3 seasons).

2007 Chicago Cubs Baseball: Settling For Mediocre Players for 99 Years and Counting

Chisox003
12-15-2006, 07:21 PM
Still, the biggest question remains unanswered:

Who ****ing cares??

MUsoxfan
12-15-2006, 08:06 PM
:rolleyes:

You sound like an angry Cub fan

veeter
12-15-2006, 08:31 PM
You're assessment is correct. I also care. Hating the cubs is a hobby of mine, so I watch what they do. I doubt there's many people on this board that weren't miserable, before Alex Gonzalez made the error of a lifetime, in 2003. So, knowing the cubs are going to fail, for the 99th straight year, because of the moves you outlined, makes me happy. The way they signed their people this year, is vintage Hendry. He starts the race, but doesn't go all the way.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-16-2006, 03:16 AM
:rolleyes:

You sound like an angry Cub fan

That's part of my point. There isn't many angry Cub fans these days because they all are being brainwashed into thinking overpaying for mediocre players means their team got better. It's sad how this franchise gets away with that stuff year after year. Yet Kenny Williams and the White Sox make one questionable trade so far this season and half this message board is getting ready for a fire sale.

Zisk77
12-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Since they signed Ward are they still getting Floyd?

The Critic
12-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Since they signed Ward are they still getting Floyd?
It would seem redundant, but they've apparently still talked to his agent since signing Ward, so who knows? They seem to have no limit on what Hendry can spend this winter.
They still have no real CF unless they're planning on Pie. Soriano will end up there if they can't deal Jones, but I think they have to be hoping to deal him after his trade demand.
I think they have a good chance at winning the NL Central, but that's more of an indictment of the NL Central than an endorsement of the Cubs. They will hit a bunch, but they spent big money on mediocre pitchers and they still have two question marks for closers.

Myrtle72
12-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Eh, who cares. Let's focus on the Sox. :cool:

The Critic
12-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Eh, who cares. Let's focus on the Sox. :cool:
Eh, that's what the Sox Clubhouse is for. :wink: :smile:

DSpivack
12-17-2006, 03:42 AM
Meh, have certainly enough Cub fan friends that I like to be able to know more about their team than they do. There is a certain interest, outside of hatred, in what a team from Chicago is doing. For a similar reason I keep tabs on how the Blackhawks are doing, despite the fact that I will never root for them as long as Wirtz is still owner (Go Thrashers!).

Lilly wasn't a terrible signing, he seems like he'll be a decent innings-eater, and his numbers should be better in the NL.

Marquis was an absolutely idiotic pickup. Three years, 20 mil, coming off a 6+ era, as well as being left off the postseason roster of an 83-win (albeit World Series winning) team? Yikes.

DeRosa, another decent pickup; they desperately needed a 2B.

Zambrano, Lilly, and Hill provide a decent 1-2-3, one that should at least make them competitive in the NL Central. Prior and Miller are complete ?s that could be good, IF they are healthy. Marquis provides a stable guy you know should be there every fifth day, although for an absolutely asinine price; I think Sean Marshall might have been a better option without the price.

Their bullpen is decent enough. And their lineup should be vastly improved over 2006. I could see them definitely improving by 10-15 wins. I'd expect 75-85 wins next year, especially playing in the NL Central. This past year 83 was enough to win that division, so playoff talks aren't even out of the question. I think the Royals are the only AL Central team that wouldn't completely dominate in their NL counterpart.

EDIT: My 4,000th post was saying good things about the Cubs?!?! What is wrong with me?

White Sox Randy
12-18-2006, 12:40 PM
It seems to me that they are the same crappy team as last year except they added Soriano and Lilly.

But, that might be enough to get to the post season in the NL Central.

Hendry is not done yet, I'm sure.

Besides, this town will be rocking with cubs fever if the cubs are close to .500 by July. They'll start talking about playoff tickets.

And, if they are at .500 and within 5 games of first by September 1, then, the talk will be about reversing the curse this year.

Domeshot17
12-18-2006, 12:58 PM
It'll be the same old story

The Cubs start the season hot (just like last year). I feel a 14-9 start (which will be good enough for a tie for first place in the NL Central).

Around the Horn ask's the question everyone is wondering "Is this the Cubs year". (just like last year)

The topic is torn, as Michael Smith talks about the holes the Cubs have. Woody Paige and Bob Ryan ramble and butcher the english language, really making no point whatsoever. BUT THEN, THE VOICE OF AMERICA STEPS IN. JAY MARIOTTI INFORMS THE WORLD THIS YEARS CUBS ARE FOR REAL. THEY HAVE THE OFFENSE OF A MURDERER's ROW, AND THE PITCHING WILL HOLD UP. SWEET LOU IS THE ANSWER AND THEY WILL WIN THE WORLD SERIES. (just like last year)

Then, 3 weeks later, Prior will have arm troubles, Wood will be unable to pitch for 3 months after shoulder pain (moving the dumpster back as closer). Zambrano has a blister and carpo tunnel, Aramis struggles in the pressure of winning, and Jason Marquis will be wondering if some of those balls he gave up that flew out of Wrigley have landed yet? (more or less, just like last year).

Mickster
12-18-2006, 04:30 PM
It'll be the same old story

The Cubs start the season hot (just like last year). I feel a 14-9 start (which will be good enough for a tie for first place in the NL Central).

Around the Horn ask's the question everyone is wondering "Is this the Cubs year". (just like last year)

The topic is torn, as Michael Smith talks about the holes the Cubs have. Woody Paige and Bob Ryan ramble and butcher the english language, really making no point whatsoever. BUT THEN, THE VOICE OF AMERICA STEPS IN. JAY MARIOTTI INFORMS THE WORLD THIS YEARS CUBS ARE FOR REAL. THEY HAVE THE OFFENSE OF A MURDERER's ROW, AND THE PITCHING WILL HOLD UP. SWEET LOU IS THE ANSWER AND THEY WILL WIN THE WORLD SERIES. (just like last year)

Then, 3 weeks later, Prior will have arm troubles, Wood will be unable to pitch for 3 months after shoulder pain (moving the dumpster back as closer). Zambrano has a blister and carpo tunnel, Aramis struggles in the pressure of winning, and Jason Marquis will be wondering if some of those balls he gave up that flew out of Wrigley have landed yet? (more or less, just like last year).

Carpo tunnel isn't so bad. You really have to watch out for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome! :redneck

CPditka
12-18-2006, 04:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove06/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=2701105&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1

Phil Rogers article comparing Sox/Cubs offseason.

White_Sock
12-19-2006, 01:02 PM
This is a great offseason for the Cubs to get all pen-happy. There's only scraps out there and they are feasting on garbage. So, they got Soriano, but they also picked up loads of mediocre pitching- starting pitching. Their payroll has a date with these bums for the next 3-4 years.

It's desperation-moves like these that make me proud of Kenny. Compiling a stockpile of young arms is the wisest play for many obvious reasons. At least we have a plan. The team to the north is relying on veteran journeymen for the next 3-4 years!. Good job this year Kenny.

The Dude
12-19-2006, 01:20 PM
They've spent close to $300 million so far this offseason. They've acquired arguably the best free agent hitter of this offseason. They re-signed their best hitter from last year. They've signed two starting pitchers. They've picked up a few role players. They seem to be close agreeing on a deal with Cliff Floyd.

With all this being said, can you believe they've only done ONE thing right so far this year? I think so and here's why...

- They sign Ted Lilly instead of Barry Zito or Jason Schmidt. You're regarded as one of the highest grossing teams in the league with one of the biggest fanbases in the league. Why settle for anything less than the best? Go pick up the best available lefty or the best righty available.

- They sign Jason Marquis instead of Jeff Suppan or Gil Meche. They signed a Cardinal, but the wrong one. Suppan had the clearer the better year and the better stuff last season. Once again, the Cubs say, "hey, we got a starter!" and the Cub fans start celebrating. Too bad you got possibly the worst one possible.

- They sign Mark Derosa instead of Marcus Giles. I'll cut them some slack on this one as they didn't know Giles would be a free agent when they signed Derosa, but, that's what you get for rushing and overpaying a mediocre player.

- They will sign Cliff Floyd (if the reports out of New York are true) instead instead of Kenny Lofton, Juan Pierre, or Dave Roberts. They need a leadoff man that can play centerfield so who do they sign? Cliff Floyd!

- They sign Alfonso Soriano. Probably the ONLY thing they've done right so far this season. His contract is probably a joke but he seems to be solid. Some may argue that Carlos Lee would've been better for the Cubs when you look at his stats at Wrigley (.302 BA, .366 OBP, 7 HR, and 12 RBI in 63 at-bats in the last 3 seasons) compared to Soriano's (1 hit in 12 at-bats the last 3 seasons).

2007 Chicago Cubs Baseball: Settling For Mediocre Players for 99 Years and Counting

Sorry man but...

:whocares

Ol' No. 2
12-19-2006, 01:21 PM
This is a great offseason for the Cubs to get all pen-happy. There's only scraps out there and they are feasting on garbage. So, they got Soriano, but they also picked up loads of mediocre pitching- starting pitching. Their payroll has a date with these bums for the next 3-4 years.

It's desperation-moves like these that make me proud of Kenny. Compiling a stockpile of young arms is the wisest play for many obvious reasons. At least we have a plan. The team to the north is relying on veteran journeymen for the next 3-4 years!. Good job this year Kenny.If you recall, there were a lot of really big money signings about 5-6 years ago, with many players getting $18M+ (Jeter, Rodriguez, Ramirez, and others). After that there was a downturn, with few players getting more than $15M. I expect the same thing to happen in the next few years. Teams are throwing big money around, but after a while it becomes apparent that not only can you not build consistent winning teams this way, but it actually handcuffs you for several years, and the pendelum swings the other way.

Hitmen77
12-24-2006, 10:23 AM
This is more of a general FA question that a Cubs question. What kind of impact does signing all these free agents have on future draft picks? Teams that sign type A free agents have to give up a draft pick, right? What happens when a team signs multiple FAs in the same offseason - do they end up giving up several rounds of draft picks?

jabrch
12-24-2006, 10:35 AM
This is more of a general FA question that a Cubs question. What kind of impact does signing all these free agents have on future draft picks? Teams that sign type A free agents have to give up a draft pick, right? What happens when a team signs multiple FAs in the same offseason - do they end up giving up several rounds of draft picks?

Yes - In the case of the Cubs, their first round pick is protected since they were in the top 15. But Soriano costs them their second round pick. Lilly will cost them their 3rd. I'm not sure if Maquis was ranked high enough, but he'd cost them their 4th.

Last year, for instance, the Cubs didn't have any picks after the first round, until the 4th or 5th round, since they signed Jaque Jones and Bob Howry and I think also Scott Eyre.

Now we won't be getting any extra picks this year since we didn't offer anyone arbitration who will be signing elsewhere.