PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Wells Close to extension with Jays

CPditka
12-15-2006, 04:18 PM
All from Mlbtraderumors.com:

According to Ken Rosenthal (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6274400), the Blue Jays are "on the verge" of signing center fielder Vernon Wells to a seven-year, $126MM deal. It would include a full no-trade and an opt-out clause.

As we've seen with opt-out clauses lately, that might make this less than a seven-year contract in reality. The crazy part is that the $18MM annual salary is seen as a loyalty discount.

FedEx227
12-15-2006, 07:56 PM
You lost me at "according to MLBtraderumors.com" then double lost me at "according to Ken Rosenthal"

Domeshot17
12-15-2006, 11:04 PM
espn.com is reporting the deal is official. Top story on the main page. I know it would have cost to much to get him, and keep him, but still disappointing when a guy we were rumored to be talking about (especially of his calibur) falls off the table.

sox1970
12-15-2006, 11:26 PM
He signed.

Nice move by the Blue Jays. You don't let talent like that get away.

MUsoxfan
12-15-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm unbelievably surprised that he signed. I thought for sure he would test the market and I respect him very much for just getting it done.

Dan the Man
12-16-2006, 12:31 AM
Link (http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061215&content_id=1761800&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor) Nice move by the Jays.

buehrle4cy05
12-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Reason why this was good:
-The Blue Jays locked up the cornerstone of their offense and defense

Reason why this was bad:
-The Blue Jays paid him 7 years, $126 million.

I understand that's what they had to pay to keep him, but Toronto is honestly one or two pitchers away from really contending with the Yankees. Maybe I'm just too pitching-happy, but with the kind of money they gave Wells, they could have used it to make a run at Zito and then still have enough left over to get a centerfielder. A rotation with Zito and Halladay would have the potential to be devastating in the AL East.

soxfanreggie
12-16-2006, 01:19 AM
Teams have an infusion of cash and are quickly sending it back out for overpriced FAs and extensions. However, if you are likely to see this money coming in every year, you will continue to see huge contracts, that will someday cripple some owners if they get too big.

Baby Fisk
12-16-2006, 11:28 PM
They still don't have enough pitching to take the division.

StillMissOzzie
12-17-2006, 04:38 AM
You lost me at "according to MLBtraderumors.com" then double lost me at "according to Ken Rosenthal"

Want some salt with that?

SMO
:D:

Joosh
12-17-2006, 04:51 AM
They still don't have enough pitching to take the division.

Eh, you could contend that they're wont be as good as Boston, but they probably beat the Yanks in the pitching department. Hell, they've got that guy from the Marlins who i can't remember his name and that other guy whos good, Roy Halladay. Thats all you need in my book.

Baby Fisk
12-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Eh, you could contend that they're wont be as good as Boston, but they probably beat the Yanks in the pitching department. Hell, they've got that guy from the Marlins who i can't remember his name and that other guy whos good, Roy Halladay. Thats all you need in my book.

The Jays have a solid 1-2 punch in Halladay and Burnett. They lost Lilly so they need to find someone to take the third spot in the rotation. That might be Gustavo Chacin. But even if he works out, the Jays still have a 4-5 starter merry-go-round that they struggled with all last year. They need at least one more solid arm to be contenders.