12-15-2006, 11:32 AM
There goes Frank's alter ego.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16224064/

RKMeibalane
12-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the memories, Jeff! See you in Cooperstown! :cool:

ewokpelts
12-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the memories, Jeff! See you in Cooperstown! :cool:in the roid room perhaps...

RKMeibalane
12-15-2006, 01:48 PM
in the roid room perhaps...

Did you forget the teal?

FedEx227
12-15-2006, 02:19 PM
in the roid room perhaps...

Sorry... no. He was the same body shape and size his entire career and stayed quite consistent. Just because somebody had a 130 RBI season doesn't automatically meant they took steroids, Bagwell was the same player his entire career and began to break down physically as any player who played 14 years of professional sports.

thomas35forever
12-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Great run Jeff! Nice to see you get to a World Series the same year your alter ego did. I hope Craig has little trouble adjusting to your absence next year.

ewokpelts
12-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Did you forget the teal?no....he hit HOW MANY home runs in the astrodome...aka pitcher's park supreme?
and he definitely got very bulked from 1994-2000(his last injury free year, mind you).....

DSpivack
12-15-2006, 03:01 PM
no....he hit HOW MANY home runs in the astrodome...aka pitcher's park supreme?
and he definitely got very bulked from 1994-2000(his last injury free year, mind you).....

He had only two 40 HR seasons in the Astrodome. 2000 he hit 47 HRs in the inaugural season at Enron Field. Although his best season was 1994, when he won the NL MVP, his only such award. 1994-2000 he didn't "definitely get very bulked", he was a guy with big muscles and this was the height of his career. 2000 might have been his last injury free career, but most players tend to have more injuries at the of their careers; that and he played full seasons up to 2004. His injuries cost his performance, was out for most of 2005, and by this past spring training he just couldn't compete.

tstrike2000
12-15-2006, 03:13 PM
His injuries cost his performance, was out for most
of 2005, and by this past spring training he just couldn't compete.

I have to agree he did not do steroids. I think the only thing in his appearance that changed was his shifting facial hair. It's unfortunate his shoulder deteriorated over the last 5 years or he could've had well over 500 home runs. A great hitter and a good guy.

ondafarm
12-15-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't think Bagwell did steroids. I don't recall any major changes in his physique/ performance. he seemed a pretty steady performer and a pretty solid one at that. It's sad to say that I think Bagwell was much better treated by the Astros than Frank Thomas was by the White Sox.

DSpivack
12-15-2006, 03:47 PM
I don't think Bagwell did steroids. I don't recall any major changes in his physique/ performance. he seemed a pretty steady performer and a pretty solid one at that. It's sad to say that I think Bagwell was much better treated by the Astros than Frank Thomas was by the White Sox.

While true that Bagwell was treated better than Thomas, the whole contract thing at the end seemed similar to Thomas' "diminished skills" clause.

PKalltheway
12-15-2006, 05:50 PM
While true that Bagwell was treated better than Thomas, the whole contract thing at the end seemed similar to Thomas' "diminished skills" clause.
Yeah, and it got kind of sour at the very end when the Astros were trying to collect insurance off of him being hurt too.

ewokpelts
12-15-2006, 11:38 PM
He was THIN in his formative years, while Frank always had a football player's build.

I wont mention the facial hair, as it seemed a lot of guy on the stros grew funky beards(texas thing?), but his skin complexion did get pocky and "grizziled"...same as big mac.And it wasnt like Bagwell played in the big bad outdoors 81 games a year at home.

soxinem1
12-19-2006, 09:39 AM
I'll never forget the trade of Larry Anderson from HOU to BOS for Bagwell, who was a 3B then. BOS thought Scott Cooper, who would be in Japan a few years after this trade, was the next Wade Boggs and gave Bagwell away.

He turned out to be not only the by-far better player, but a HOF'er.

As a baseball fan, I wish he was in better shape for the 2005 World Series. To have played as long as he did to finally reach that point and have to limp in as a DH-PH was sort of sad.

cleanwsox
12-19-2006, 11:53 AM
no....he hit HOW MANY home runs in the astrodome...aka pitcher's park supreme?

So Glenn Davis must have been on roids as well since he hit a bunch of HR's in the Astrodome. Please, this argument is horrible.