PDA

View Full Version : Royals' unprecedented move, 2 for 1 season ticket discounts

caulfield12
12-15-2006, 05:17 AM
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/kc/ticketing/buy2_get2_2007.jsp

They're really going hard after some of the corporations and individuals that stopped buying tickets here when the quality of the product fell off around the time of the strike.

It could backfire and anger their long-time fans, but the Royals feel they are going to have a much improved product on the field and really just want to get families out to the park, making it as affordable as possible.

Empty seats=no parking, no concessions, no souvenirs.

If the product is good enough, they will get repeat customers and they can regular prices again.

The White Sox could/should have done something like this after the strike as well, would have been a great gesture toward the fan base.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-15-2006, 08:24 AM
If their long time fans don't realize the short term discount equals long term value for more $$ into the organization, then they should be satisfied with a team that will be out of contention every year by June 1.

I agree; if the Sox did something like this post 1994, it could have done a lot for the fan base who believe(d) Reinsdorf's involvement in the whole labor thing. Not sure what you would have done to reverse the WFT though.

AuroraSoxFan
12-15-2006, 09:07 AM
They're at least trying to do something different. Trying to fill seats, signed a few quality players etc. At least they're trying to exert some effort to escape their annual doormat status. I am sure it will take a while to achieve but it is good to see the effort.

fquaye149
12-15-2006, 10:18 AM
The White Sox could/should have done something like this after the strike as well, would have been a great gesture toward the fan base.

So wait, what you're saying is the Royals are doing this NOW? In 1995?

The Royals are doing this because they're ****ing lousy and no one wants to pay good money to see them play baseball no matter how many times they sign crap players who used to be good, like Octavio Dotel

Fenway
12-15-2006, 10:22 AM
great deal for the fans :smile:

A good deal for a view (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/16243037.htm)
Royals have two-for-two offer on prime season tickets in upper deck.
By SAM MELLINGER, The Kansas City Star
Baseballís cheapest tickets just got a little bit cheaper. In an effort to boost low attendance, the Royals are offering a buy-two, get-two-free deal on view box season tickets. View box seats are the first 11 rows of the upper deck, from dugout to dugout, and are $17 individually and $12 per game for the entire season.

itsnotrequired
12-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Didn't the Brewers do this last year? I think that one was buy two full season packages, get two packages free.

soxinem1
12-15-2006, 10:48 AM
They should spend their money in scouting and player development and forget the gimmicks. Overpaying Meche and Dotel only complicates things.

It's been almost 20 years since they have been in the top five in attendance. As a baseball fan, I have really felt bad about the direction of this franchise ever since they did that dumb foray into the FA market for the 1990 season.

I think they need to focus seriously on developing an organization again.

miker
12-15-2006, 11:40 AM
They should spend their money in scouting and player development and forget the gimmicks. Overpaying Meche and Dotel only complicates things.

It's been almost 20 years since they have been in the top five in attendance. As a baseball fan, I have really felt bad about the direction of this franchise ever since they did that dumb foray into the FA market for the 1990 season.

I think they need to focus seriously on developing an organization again.
They can try to develop all they want...all those players will just leave for a team in a bigger market when their FA time comes. Only the most dedicated fans (and KC draws, or used to, from a wide area) will support what essentially is a AAAA team. :(:

DSpivack
12-15-2006, 12:44 PM
They can try to develop all they want...all those players will just leave for a team in a bigger market when their FA time comes. Only the most dedicated fans (and KC draws, or used to, from a wide area) will support what essentially is a AAAA team. :(:

I think Dayton Moore is a lot better than Allard Baird, and could bring them some respectability in a few years.

I want Mags back
12-15-2006, 01:20 PM
sometimes I wish I was a Royalsfan so I could have cheap season tickets

Steelrod
12-15-2006, 01:25 PM
But you'd also have the Royals!

ewokpelts
12-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Didn't the Brewers do this last year? I think that one was buy two full season packages, get two packages free.yes....4 ticket packages for $1200+ came out to 4 bucks a ticket

areilly
12-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Personally I like what they're doing. You've got to figure those seats were going to be empty anyway, might as well turn them into some cash spent on concessions and souvenirs. Desperate times, desperate measures I suppose.

itsnotrequired
12-15-2006, 01:57 PM
yes....4 ticket packages for $1200+ came out to 4 bucks a ticket

I thought I remembered that. Damn, that's a deal and a half.

Flight #24
12-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Didn't the Brewers do this last year? I think that one was buy two full season packages, get two packages free.

So who's changing the title of this thread to "Royals precedented move"?:tongue:

Seriously, great move for them. They'll probably make up any lost tickets in concessions (which IIRC are the bigger moneymaker anyway). And they can hopefully build a base of fans that wouldn't otherwise have thought twice about hitting a Royals game.

The challenge will be to eliminate this as time goes on. I would imagine that a number of those taking the deal would opt out in a year or 2 if they revert to full price, so they'll have to hope that demand is up enough to sustain the return to regular pricing in the future.

DumpJerry
12-15-2006, 02:49 PM
You would also have all the time in the world each October to drive to the countryside to see the Fall colors.

Grzegorz
12-15-2006, 09:25 PM
great deal for the fans :smile:

Baseballís cheapest tickets just got a little bit cheaper. In an effort to boost low attendance, the Royals are offering a buy-two, get-two-free deal on view box season tickets. View box seats are the first 11 rows of the upper deck, from dugout to dugout, and are $17 individually and $12 per game for the entire season.

This is a great deal for the fans. Without a fan base a baseball team has nothing. I salute the Royals for doing something to build a fan base for today and tomorrow. With fans comes revenue and with revenue comes investment.

As for slagging the Royals, I wouldn't do it. The 2006 version of our White Sox should have done much better than 11-8 against such bottomfeeders.

caulfield12
12-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Personally I like what they're doing. You've got to figure those seats were going to be empty anyway, might as well turn them into some cash spent on concessions and souvenirs. Desperate times, desperate measures I suppose.

They can't be too desperate if they just spent $17 million next year for Meche and Dotel.

areilly
12-16-2006, 01:19 PM
They can't be too desperate if they just spent $17 million next year for Meche and Dotel.

Those signings both reeked of total desperation if you ask me.

ZING! :redneck

soxfanreggie
12-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Every team has to spend their newly acquired money on something unless the owners decided to put it in their own pockets, which would severely alienate the remaining fans they have. They had to spend the money on something, but I doubt that Meche and Dotel were the best moves they could have made.

WizardsofOzzie
12-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Me thinks Jenn will be the first to take advantage of this offer, purchasing tix along the first baseline just to see her man Gload play :tongue:

I want Mags back
12-17-2006, 02:52 PM
But you'd also have the Royals!

duh.. thats why my post was teal