PDA

View Full Version : Update on Sox' Tucson Situation

Viva Medias B's
12-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Today in Phoenix, White Sox attorney John Kaites told Maricopa County's Sports and Tourism Authority that they should go ahead of plans to construct a new spring training complex in Glendale. The White Sox want to ditch Tucson for Glendale, but Pima County plans to hold the White Sox accountable to their lease with the Kino Sports Complex. Kaites said the Sox are moving from Tucson, whether it will be in 2013 or as soon as 2009.

Link (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/160401.php) from the Arizona Daily Star.

champagne030
12-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Not that it's worth a whole lot, but........

To-do list:
Same as last off-season-get some rest for an eventful spring training-even in Tucson, which is going to look gorgeous in my rear view mirror when the Sox move to Glendale.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-my2006gonzo,1,729300.htmlstory?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

skobabe8
12-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Thats good news.

I want Mags back
12-15-2006, 12:59 PM
thats great. would like to see it in 09 though, then wait 4 more years

TDog
12-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Not that I believe in curses, but the last team that deserted Tucson for a new spring training home lost three pitchers the next spring to a fatal boating accident and later had their new spring complex severely damaged by a hurricane.

Certainly, getting to Glendale from the airport will be more of a hassle.

BNLSox
12-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Why does it take more effort to go to Glendale? Its near Phoenix as opposed to Tuscon which really isn't near anything... Were you flying directly down there?

TDog
12-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Why does it take more effort to go to Glendale? Its near Phoenix as opposed to Tuscon which really isn't near anything... Were you flying directly down there?

The Tucson airport is convenient to the city of Tucson. Tucson is the city where the White Sox train.

Glendale is west of Phoenix. Sky Harbor International Airport is east of Phoenix.

Why would I fly to a congested Phoenix airport when Tucson is more convenient to the city where the Sox train and it has an airport that is so much easier to negotiate?

It is true that metropolitan Phoenix is a little closer to San Diego than Tucson is, and it is certainly closer to Las Vegas, but Tucson is closer to Mexico. Tucson, though a desert city, also has its own ski resort in the nearby mountains.

AZChiSoxFan
12-15-2006, 04:45 PM
The Tucson airport is convenient to the city of Tucson. Tucson is the city where the White Sox train.

Glendale is west of Phoenix. Sky Harbor International Airport is east of Phoenix.

Why would I fly to a congested Phoenix airport when Tucson is more convenient to the city where the Sox train and it has an airport that is so much easier to negotiate?

It is true that metropolitan Phoenix is a little closer to San Diego than Tucson is, and it is certainly closer to Las Vegas, but Tucson is closer to Mexico. Tucson, though a desert city, also has its own ski resort in the nearby mountains.

I know you hate Phx, but Sky Harbor is not east of Phx. It's a stone's throw from downtown Phx.

Thanks for refering to Mt. Lemon as a ski "resort". I needed a good laugh today. I wonder if both of the ski runs will open this year?

AZChiSoxFan
12-15-2006, 04:46 PM

I think TDog hates Phx more than he hates the Cubs.

TDog
12-15-2006, 05:00 PM
I know you hate Phx, but Sky Harbor is not east of Phx. It's a stone's throw from downtown Phx.

Thanks for refering to Mt. Lemon as a ski "resort". I needed a good laugh today. I wonder if both of the ski runs will open this year?

The same could be said for ski resorts in Alaska. Juneau's Eaglecrest ski resort didn't open until February last year, despite constant precipitation. Even glaciers in the great white north are disappearing. But there is more to do in mountains besides skiing and snowboarding.

Phoenix is closer to the Arizona Snow Bowl near Flagstaff, but it's a steep uphill drive to the high country.

Of course, Sky Harbor is east of downtown Phoenix, actually convenient to Mesa and the East Valley. Glendale is nowhere near downtown Phoenix. You have to drive on a congested freeway system running through the city to get to Glendale. Metropolitan Phoenix is a wonderful place if you like a congested flat expanse of concrete where people have used the cracks to try to make the desert look like Indiana.

My point was that Tucson has a convenient airport. Sky Harbor might be convenient for Cubs fans, but it won't be for Sox fans.

michned
12-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Gotta love these Tucson - Phoenix border skirmishes. :D:

michned
12-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Not that I believe in curses, but the last team that deserted Tucson for a new spring training home lost three pitchers the next spring to a fatal boating accident and later had their new spring complex severely damaged by a hurricane.

Certainly, getting to Glendale from the airport will be more of a hassle.

I'm sticking a pin in my Jerry Reinsdorf doll as I type this.

MarySwiss
12-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Gotta love these Tucson - Phoenix border skirmishes. :D:

I'm sticking a pin in my Jerry Reinsdorf doll as I type this.

You, my Tucsonian (is this a word?) friend, are a stitch! :D:

Steelrod
12-15-2006, 08:44 PM
The same could be said for ski resorts in Alaska. Juneau's Eaglecrest ski resort didn't open until February last year, despite constant precipitation. Even glaciers in the great white north are disappearing. But there is more to do in mountains besides skiing and snowboarding.

Phoenix is closer to the Arizona Snow Bowl near Flagstaff, but it's a steep uphill drive to the high country.

Of course, Sky Harbor is east of downtown Phoenix, actually convenient to Mesa and the East Valley. Glendale is nowhere near downtown Phoenix. You have to drive on a congested freeway system running through the city to get to Glendale. Metropolitan Phoenix is a wonderful place if you like a congested flat expanse of concrete where people have used the cracks to try to make the desert look like Indiana.

My point was that Tucson has a convenient airport. Sky Harbor might be convenient for Cubs fans, but it won't be for Sox fans.
Actually you don't drive thru Phoenix to get to Glendale. You take the 101 loop and avoid the city. You'll learn.
BTW Phoenix can be recognized by things growing, vesus Tucson, which is usually brown.

AZChiSoxFan
12-15-2006, 11:08 PM

TDog, with all due respect, I think you need to relax a bit. You hate Phx so much that I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill here. It's not that bad. You fly into phx, grab your rental car, and 45 minutes later, you're at the stadium in glendale. What's so bad about that?

TDog
12-16-2006, 02:16 AM
TDog, with all due respect, I think you need to relax a bit. You hate Phx so much that I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill here. It's not that bad. You fly into phx, grab your rental car, and 45 minutes later, you're at the stadium in glendale. What's so bad about that?

I never rent cars on vacation. When I'm in Tucson, I impose on friends to pick me up at the airport. When I'm in Europe, there is decent mass transit within and between cities, and rental cars are unnecessary.

The thing is, I really like Tucson.

Steelrod
12-16-2006, 03:52 AM
I never rent cars on vacation. When I'm in Tucson, I impose on friends to pick me up at the airport. When I'm in Europe, there is decent mass transit within and between cities, and rental cars are unnecessary.

The thing is, I really like Tucson.
Don't fret TDog, I'll pick you up at Sky Harbour!

michned
12-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Actually you don't drive thru Phoenix to get to Glendale. You take the 101 loop and avoid the city. You'll learn.
BTW Phoenix can be recognized by things growing, vesus Tucson, which is usually brown.

Steelrod is right.

Check out this picture of downtown Tucson I took yesterday. (http://www.eddieknet.com/downtown-tucson.jpg)

AZChiSoxFan
12-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Steelrod is right.

Check out this picture of downtown Tucson I took yesterday. (http://www.eddieknet.com/downtown-tucson.jpg)

:rolling:

You're killin' me Michned!! That's great.

MarySwiss
12-18-2006, 01:39 PM
:rolling:

You're killin' me Michned!! That's great.

Like I said earlier, he's a stitch!

markopat
12-19-2006, 11:47 PM
I like it Mui Macho!

champagne030
12-21-2006, 08:02 PM
The Sox will be in Glendale. It's either 2009 if they find a replacement team or 2013.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20061221&content_id=1766265&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

"The White Sox will move to Glendale in 2009 -- if we find a replacement team agreeable to Pima County -- or in 2013 once our current lease expires in Tucson. Given the appeal of Cactus League baseball and the first-class facility in Tucson, we remain very optimistic that we will be able to work with Pima County to find another Major League club to replace the existing term of our lease."

Viva Medias B's
12-21-2006, 08:11 PM
You, my Tucsonian (is this a word?) friend, are a stitch! :D:

The word is Tucsonan. And TDog is right about the convenience of Tucson International Airport versus Sky Harbor Airport. Sky Harbor is a pain in the arse. It's a 10 minute ride from Tucson Internation Airport to TEP Park.

Tucson is just as nice as Phoenix (if not more so) and not nearly as congested. Show me someone who repeats that false claim of "There's nothing to do in Tucson," and I show you someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. There is plenty (http://www.visittucson.org/) to do there. And what exactly is there to do in Phoenix that cannot be done in Tucson?

A.T. Money
12-21-2006, 10:40 PM
You just take the 101, it's simple.

I've never seen anything go through downtown...not true.

You could take the 51 north to 101 and go west.

Phx is a cool town. I enjoyed going there when I worked for a company based there.

Scottsdale had the hottest women I've never seen. Go to Camelback and Scottsdale Rd. and just look around and admire the talent.

skobabe8
12-21-2006, 11:25 PM

Phx is a cool town. I enjoyed going there when I worked for a company based there.

Scottsdale had the hottest women I've never seen. Go to Camelback and Scottsdale Rd. and just look around and admire the talent.

The man speaks the truth. I was in Tucson overnight and I couldnt find anything to do (well, besides run into BA coming out of a bar on the UofA campus). So personally, I think the PHX area (Scottsdale mainly) trumps Tucson by a longshot. But I'd be willing to give Tucson another chance. :cool:

Steelrod
12-22-2006, 05:16 AM

Better yet, go to AJ's Foods and watch the talent shopping in 5 inch heels.
You've got to see it to believe it!

TDog
12-22-2006, 06:11 AM
The word is Tucsonan. And TDog is right about the convenience of Tucson International Airport versus Sky Harbor Airport. Sky Harbor is a pain in the arse. It's a 10 minute ride from Tucson Internation Airport to TEP Park. ...

And judging from what people post here, if you drive around Phoenix instead of through it, it only takes about half as long to get from Sky Harbor to Glendale as it does to get from Sky Harbor to Tucson.

I've spent a lot of time in Phoenix and Tucson (and Mesa and Kingman and Flagstaff for that matter), although they weren't among the Arizona cities I called home. I've taken summer classes at both UA and ASU. I have attended spring games in Scottsdale and found the parking monumentally inconvenient. But Scottsdale is a longer drive from Glendale than Sky Harbor is. I'm sure the Valley never put in a comprehensive light rail system to make it easier for people to get around.

I just don't understand the Tucson hatred expressed around here.

maurice
12-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Tucson International Airport is one of my favorites. Unbelievably convienient.

People who can't find anything to do in Tucson are saying a lot about themselves and nothing about Tucson.

ewokpelts
12-22-2006, 02:10 PM

People who can't find anything to do in Tucson are saying a lot about themselves and nothing about Tucson.
if i were to go to tuscon for sox games, my main focus is getting baseball and some sun......
but from what i've read, there's quite a bit to do there for non-baseball people....it may not be "sexy" like the big town, but it'll do the trick

thechico
12-22-2006, 04:03 PM
This kicks ass for me. My best friend lives in Litchfield Park, so it'll be way easier for us than Tucson was.
:smile:

skobabe8
12-22-2006, 05:05 PM

:rolleyes:

TheVulture
12-22-2006, 06:59 PM
There is plenty (http://www.visittucson.org/) to do there. And what exactly is there to do in Phoenix that cannot be done in Tucson?
Suns. D'backs. Coyotes. Cardinals. Major concerts. Better restaurants and clubs, etc. etc. Don't get me wrong, I like Tuscon, but there is more to do in Phoenix. Also you can get to Sedona/Flagstaff area within 2 hours.

Viva Medias B's
12-23-2006, 12:34 AM
Suns. D'backs. Coyotes. Cardinals. Major concerts. Better restaurants and clubs, etc. etc. Don't get me wrong, I like Tuscon [sic], but there is more to do in Phoenix. Also you can get to Sedona/Flagstaff area within 2 hours.

So what if the professional teams play in Phoenix. Are you saying that because of this, people should (to quote Dennis Green) "CROWN THEIR [ARSE]!!!"? I would satisfied with the choices of Arizona Wildcats football, UA basketball, UA baseball, Tucson Sidwinders baseball, and even Arizona Icecats hockey. And I'm not certain Phoenix has better clubs/restaurants than Tucson does. I know you're not dissing Tucson, but Phoenix having pro teams and the rest does not make it better than Tucson.

As for the comment about Scottsdale, the only thing I think that is worthwhile there is Taliesin West.

And, finally, addressing the "hatred of Tucson" referenced by another post: that is an area to be extremely careful when discussing because it involves issues that could land this thread you know where.

Steelrod
12-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Basically stated,
Phoenix-Scottsdale is a lot like Chicago or any major city.
Tucson tends to be more Tex-mex in culture and cuisine. But there is plenty of both in each.
The main factor for me is the area around TEP is not the best. One of the reasons it was chosen was to upgrade the area around it. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn right near there. It is completely fenced around. I asked management if this was for security and they responded that there are a lot of undesirables that they would prefer not visiting their property. That was all I needed to hear.

Steelrod
12-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Another this is that Arizona allows people to carry weapons as long as they are not concealed. I've seen plenty of guns in Tucson, but have never seen any in Phoenix. Guns and me don't get along. Tank Williams would fit in better in Tucson.

TDog
12-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Another this is that Arizona allows people to carry weapons as long as they are not concealed. I've seen plenty of guns in Tucson, but have never seen any in Phoenix. Guns and me don't get along. Tank Williams would fit in better in Tucson.

Just because you don't see any guns in Phoenix doesn't mean people aren't carrying them. It is super-easy to get a concealed-weapons permit in Arizona. You just have to jump through some metaphoric hoops. Heck, I still have a permit to carry a concealed weapon there, although I don't own a firearm.

Viva Medias B's
12-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Tank Johnson would fit in better in Tucson.

Fixed it for ya.