PDA

View Full Version : Report: Cubs sign Cliff Floyd

WhiteSoxFan84
12-14-2006, 02:56 AM
This is from mlb-rumors.blogspot.com...

According to WFAN in New York, the Cubs have signed Cliff Floyd to one year deal, worth around 6 million dollars. Although this still may be a rumor, it has been reported all week that he was looking to sign with the Cubs.

Just the centerfielder they were looking for :rolleyes:

Talk about a team signing players just for the sake of signing players. Hendry is starting to make Cashman and Epstein look reasonable. What a joke.

MUsoxfan
12-14-2006, 03:41 AM
It's easy to spend money when it's not your money. I can think of a million things to do with other peoples cash

Nelson Foxtrot
12-14-2006, 04:10 AM
Floyd could have been a great pickup for them at a lower price. He's 34 and could still have a couple good years left in him, is from Chicago, will be two years removed from a 34 homerun season, and still got on base at a .342 clip against RHP last year and at .382 the previous year. However, he's always been an injury risk, has lost a lot of speed, may have lost his power, and needs to sit against LHP. Throwing six million dollars at him isn't worth the risk, even for somebody who is apparently printing money in his basement.

When all is said and done, I think Daryle Ward (.342/.412/.619 vs RHP, at $1.05 million) will actually be the best offseason addition for the Cubs, which isn't a good sign since pinch-hitters don't lead clubs out of the cellar.

FedEx227
12-14-2006, 04:48 AM
Don't tell that to Dave Roberts.

Mohoney
12-14-2006, 07:04 AM
I can think of a million things to do with other peoples cash

But I'm sure that paying $6 million of it to Cliff Floyd isn't one of them.

Viva Medias B's
12-14-2006, 08:32 AM
The Cubs are simply doing this to increase the value of the franchise so that TribCo will get a bigger price when the company is sold.

Nellie_Fox
12-14-2006, 11:38 AM
It's easy to spend money when it's not your money. I can think of a million things to do with other peoples cashYou should run for congress. You'd fit right in. (On both sides of the aisle, lest anyone get their undies in a bunch. :tongue:)

Dick Allen
12-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Somebody needs to tell Hendry there's no DH in the National League.

palehozenychicty
12-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Somebody needs to tell Hendry there's no DH in the National League.

For real.

slavko
12-14-2006, 12:29 PM
The Cubs are simply doing this to increase the value of the franchise so that TribCo will get a bigger price when the company is sold.

This sounds logical to me. But it also sounded logical in the days of the WF Trade when people wrote letters to newspapers claiming that JR was gutting the club for resale. I guess I'm just gullible.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-14-2006, 12:33 PM
You should run for congress. You'd fit right in. (On both sides of the aisle, lest anyone get their undies in a bunch. :tongue:)

Dr. Ron Paul being the exception.

As a Mets fan, I think Alou was an upgrade over Floyd which shows you how much I think of Floyd at this point. In his four seasons with the Mets, Floyd had once excellent season, two so-so seasons and one crappy season (2006). He is habitually injured and not someone you will want to be a key member of the OF. If you can get him cheap, he is worth a flier but he will probably get the $6.5 million or so he has "earned" over the past four seasons.

The Dude
12-14-2006, 12:44 PM
This is from mlb-rumors.blogspot.com...

Just the centerfielder they were looking for :rolleyes:

Talk about a team signing players just for the sake of signing players. Hendry is starting to make Cashman and Epstein look reasonable. What a joke.

I don't think so. This would be a very low risk move for a possible high gain. If he tanks, he's gone next year. If he's good, he's making Lofton money in the process. This is a no brainer for a team with so many holes.

Meixner007
12-14-2006, 12:44 PM
They could possibly put out one of the worst defensive outfields in the history of the game.

Britt Burns
12-14-2006, 12:55 PM
The Flubbies next move is to sign Carl Everett to a 3 yr-$20M deal. Damn, what a dumb move at that price. This will only take ABs away from Ward and possibly Murton, who at this point in their careers are just as good and a lot cheaper.

Norberto7
12-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Six million dollars for Floyd? That is a steep Cliff.

12-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Has this been Conf?

champagne030
12-14-2006, 01:16 PM
They have, by far, the worst defensive OF in baseball:

LF: Floyd/Murton platoon :mg:

CF: Soriano :roflmao:

RF: Jones :cower:

Juice16
12-14-2006, 01:34 PM
I have not seen this being reported anywhere.

Foulke You
12-14-2006, 01:35 PM

However, if the Floyd deal is confirmed that could mean they are shipping Jacque Jones somewhere else and Floyd is their new LF and Murton slides to RF. There have been a lot of rumors that Jones is unhappy that Dusty was fired and wants out of Chicago. I thought everyone loved playing at Wrigley Field for the Cubs? What gives?

champagne030
12-14-2006, 02:29 PM
However, if the Floyd deal is confirmed that could mean they are shipping Jacque Jones somewhere else and Floyd is their new LF and Murton slides to RF. There have been a lot of rumors that Jones is unhappy that Dusty was fired and wants out of Chicago. I thought everyone loved playing at Wrigley Field for the Cubs? What gives?

I've heard those rumors too and hopefully they happen. A LF to RF of Floyd, Soriano and Murton is even more pathetic.

That's really 3 DH's playing in the OF!

the1tab
12-14-2006, 02:42 PM
So the Cubs have a firecrotch in left and a Jacque in right, with Uncle Cliffy backing up which? and where is Soriano going?

Do you think Big Jim Hendry will kick the Sox a couple million for the heck of it? He seems to be paying everyone else in the greater United States/Carribean.

QUESTION: WOULD SOMEONE WAKE UP KENNY WILLIAMS AND TELL HIM IT'S CHRISTMAS ALREADY?

White Sox Randy
12-14-2006, 02:59 PM

I can't find this reported anywhere ? I hope it's true though.

Don't get down on the cubs, guys, they aren't through.

They're about to sign a CFer......Steve Finley.....5 years / $ 45 mil.

CHIsoxNation
12-14-2006, 03:06 PM
So the Cubs have a firecrotch in left and a Jacque in right, with Uncle Cliffy backing up which? and where is Soriano going?

Do you think Big Jim Hendry will kick the Sox a couple million for the heck of it? He seems to be paying everyone else in the greater United States/Carribean.

QUESTION: WOULD SOMEONE WAKE UP KENNY WILLIAMS AND TELL HIM IT'S CHRISTMAS ALREADY?

wow

What a way to start your first post.

12-14-2006, 03:21 PM
wow

What a way to start your first post.

Haha...u took the words out of my mouth...

tstrike2000
12-14-2006, 03:44 PM
However, he's always been an injury risk, has lost a lot of speed, may have lost his power, and needs to sit against LHP. Throwing six million dollars at him isn't worth the risk, even for somebody who is apparently printing money in his basement.

If signed, another Hendry bargain!!

12-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Do not title your threads REPORT unless it is from a valid source...not mlb.rumors...this hasn't shown up on ESPN or the Trib...anywhere...has it been mentioned on the radio even? Bruce?

the1tab
12-14-2006, 04:12 PM
First off, yes. I start it up right.

Now, back to baseball... I have heard from a friend of mine who works on the East Coast that there are a couple teams, notably Atlanta and Baltimore, that aren't against moving established players if they can build for a future. Atlanta is obviously unloading the "now" by releasing Giles (even though he's a crosseyed hobbit), and might be willing to move Andruw Jones if they get the right package of arms and a replacement OF. I guess Hendry's looking to move some of the scrapyard, I mean "young stable of arms" the Cubs have at Triple-A and Jacque Jones, and might go after another Jones, the difference being that this one is A) talented and B) can hit in April and May. The guy also told me that The Sox have also expressed interest in Anduw in the wake of the ridiculous throw down that Toronto tossed at Vernon Wells. That could be done for Vazquez, Anderson and Haeger probably, while the Cubs would be moving Jacque Jones, Sean Marshall, and Angel Guzman.

Where is Kenny Williams right now? I didn't even hear that he had tendered a one-year to Crede by the deadline... is he just going to make next winter a miserable, "we got nothing instead of Caruso" White Flag Revisited?

Nellie_Fox
12-14-2006, 04:16 PM
I have heard from a friend of mine who works on the East Coast...Oh, well, he works on the EAST COAST! Enough said!

White Sox Randy
12-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Well, I have no doubt that Atlanta would take that from Kenny but I'm sure that he wouldn't offfer it.

Then, he would have no 5th starter and only have Jones for a year.

They could get a lot more than that for the trio.

Don't worry about Kenny. The Sox needs aren't that great that he needs to be making deals left and right.

He'll make some more before April.

The Immigrant
12-14-2006, 04:25 PM
The guy also told me that The Sox have also expressed interest in Anduw in the wake of the ridiculous throw down that Toronto tossed at Vernon Wells. That could be done for Vazquez, Anderson and Haeger probably.

If Kenny agreed to this deal, I'd be heading to 35th and Shields with a pitchfork in hand.

the1tab
12-14-2006, 04:28 PM
to the gentleman that asked that the word "REPORT" only be used when a credible source says it... ESPN's Jerry Crasnick is reporting on their INSIDER Rumor Mill that the Cubs & Floyd are close. So now it's a REPORT.

Also, my buddy that works on the east coast is an agent who works at a firm that represents a number of players in Florida and the DC area. That's all he could give me, but I know he's met a few Nationals and Orioles in the last couple weeks.

and the Sox would be fantastic w/ Andruw in CF. However, I would like to see someone sign Barry Zito this year, too. If he goes to the Mets, he'll fade away into nothing within 6 months. If he goes to Texas, which would be for a "reported" 6 yrs & $100m, he'll headling a bunch of headcases, morons and a Millwood on the worst rotation to lose 90 games south of Boys Town.

Goose
12-14-2006, 04:36 PM
However, I would like to see someone sign Barry Zito this year, too.

Don't hold your breath! That's going to be a tall order.

maurice
12-14-2006, 04:37 PM
I guess Hendry's looking to move some of the scrapyard, I mean "young stable of arms" the Cubs have at Triple-A and Jacque Jones, and might go after another Jones, the difference being that this one is A) talented and B) can hit in April and May.

From today's Cubune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-061213cubs,1,4149566.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed):
Hendry's urge to splurge over
Cubs GM Hendry takes step back, aware tweaking still remains
. . .
If a thorny spot remains, it is in the outfield, where the Cubs basically have no center fielder to replace the departed Juan Pierre. And another hole might open up if Hendry trades Jacque Jones, which is not an automatic. So why didn't the Cubs get into the bidding for Kenny Lofton, who just signed with the Rangers for $6 million for one year? Indications are they wanted to have a spot ready for top prospect Felix Pie.....

12-14-2006, 04:48 PM
to the gentleman that asked that the word "REPORT" only be used when a credible source says it... ESPN's Jerry Crasnick is reporting on their INSIDER Rumor Mill that the Cubs & Floyd are close. So now it's a REPORT.

Also, my buddy that works on the east coast is an agent who works at a firm that represents a number of players in Florida and the DC area. That's all he could give me, but I know he's met a few Nationals and Orioles in the last couple weeks.

and the Sox would be fantastic w/ Andruw in CF. However, I would like to see someone sign Barry Zito this year, too. If he goes to the Mets, he'll fade away into nothing within 6 months. If he goes to Texas, which would be for a "reported" 6 yrs & $100m, he'll headling a bunch of headcases, morons and a Millwood on the worst rotation to lose 90 games south of Boys Town.

I was that Gentlemen. Welcome to the website....that rumor mill on the insider is crap. I'm not saying it won't happen, very possible that it will...but you will learn quick on this board what is crap and what is legit..what is a report, what is a rumor. And be very careful about reporting rumors from a friend or a personal source..if it is wrong, you'll hear about it for a year...just ask ChiSoxTony....he still is banned I think! haha, that being said, welcome aboard!

DickAllen72
12-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Dr. Ron Paul being the exception.

:thumbsup: :cheers:

the1tab
12-14-2006, 09:40 PM
I know ESPN is full of crap, but Floyd will be a Cub. Also, if you read anything out of Atlanta today, you would have seen that Bobby Cox was quoted in the papers as saying the chances of Andruw Jones being extended were "slim to none." They've already traded for Rafeal Soriano this offseason, and are trying to reup w/ Chris Reitsma for pennies so they can go after younger arms. They let Horacio Ramirez go because he sucks. They have no rotation after Smoltz and they are looking to unload even Adam LaRoche because they want to go younger than a guy who's been in the show for 4 years (granted, LaRoche shouldn't be allowed in public w/ his unibrow).

If Vernon Wells takes the deal from Toronto, Andruw Jones will be dealt for pitching by Spring Training. What better opportunity than that for Kenny to move a couple arms and Anderson, a young CF, for perhaps the best CF this side of Griffey's Seattle departure.

champagne030
12-14-2006, 10:00 PM
I know ESPN is full of crap, but Floyd will be a Cub. Also, if you read anything out of Atlanta today, you would have seen that Bobby Cox was quoted in the papers as saying the chances of Andruw Jones being extended were "slim to none." They've already traded for Rafeal Soriano this offseason, and are trying to reup w/ Chris Reitsma for pennies so they can go after younger arms. They let Horacio Ramirez go because he sucks. They have no rotation after Smoltz and they are looking to unload even Adam LaRoche because they want to go younger than a guy who's been in the show for 4 years (granted, LaRoche shouldn't be allowed in public w/ his unibrow).

If Vernon Wells takes the deal from Toronto, Andruw Jones will be dealt for pitching by Spring Training. What better opportunity than that for Kenny to move a couple arms and Anderson, a young CF, for perhaps the best CF this side of Griffey's Seattle departure.

How about a Floyd for James swap? I'd do that everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's. I know the Braves would never do that, but I can dream. They do have a rotation after Smoltz. Maybe a Floyd for Jones??? Relax everyone, I know that wouldn't happen.

WizardsofOzzie
12-15-2006, 08:23 AM
Indications are they wanted to have a spot ready for top prospect Felix Pie.....

We've been hearing about this guy for 4 years or so now and still haven't seen him play. Why didn't the cubs give him any garbage time last year to get him ready to play? :dunno:

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Hire all the talent you can, Cubbies....

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic didn't prevent it from sinking.

russ99
12-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Hire all the talent you can, Cubbies....

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic didn't prevent it from sinking.

The mass hysteria of Cub fans when this $150+ million team utterly flops will be so amusing... Almost as much as that whole Bartman comedy.

miker
12-15-2006, 11:29 AM
The mass hysteria of Cub fans when this $150+ million team utterly flops will be so amusing... Almost as much as that whole Bartman comedy.
Those Cubbie fans are amazing, aren't they? I wonder if they are already looking into their 2007 scapegoat: The new manager, the wind, Jim Hendry's angioplasty, the impending breakup of the Tribune, Sox fans..."