PDA

View Full Version : Jays offer Wells extension

Ol' No. 2
12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
According to a report on Yahoo.com, Toronto offered a seven-year deal worth $126 million -- an average of $18 million annually. That contract would be worth more per year than the eight-year, $136 million deal that Alfonso Soriano inked with the Cubs earlier this offseason.Linkee (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061213&content_id=1760395&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp)

PicktoCLick72
12-13-2006, 03:47 PM
So I guess the Wells to the Sox rumors are dead now.

LuvSox
12-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Wow, that's alot of money.

thedudeabides
12-13-2006, 03:52 PM
I'd imagine if he turns it down, they will trade him.

samram
12-13-2006, 03:53 PM

Well, the agent also said (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AuC67M_q0gMR5wD803uDIp85nYcB?slug=ti-wells121206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) they hadn't had serious talks yet.

Ricciardi would not comment and Wells' agent, Greg Genske, would only say, "We have yet to have meaningful discussions," about a contract extension.

Ol' No. 2
12-13-2006, 03:56 PM
I'd imagine if he turns it down, they will trade him.I'm blown away that it's even considered a possibility that someone would turn down getting $126M to play baseball.:o:

spiffie
12-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Actually, unless there's a no-trade clause of some sort in the deal it could make him more tradeable. If the Jays find themselves having another year where they are out of contention in July, they could offer up Wells with the selling point that he is cost-certain for the next 7 and a half seasons. Yes he'd be expensive, but you'd have the cost locked in at least, and as salaries increase those years would get less onerous as it goes by.

fquaye149
12-13-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm blown away that it's even considered a possibility that someone would turn down getting $126M to play baseball.:o:

and yet, it's the smart move on his part, since he will probably make more on the market

So here's the catch-22 your disbelief must face:

either Wells turns the deal down "turning down 126M to play baseball" (although, realistically, he'll still be getting the 126M ...and more from someone else)

or else he takes it, which means he is turning down probably about $30M for almost no reason at all

soxfanaticpaulie
12-13-2006, 03:59 PM

:o:

If he turns it down they should just have him committed!

:kukoo:

spiffie
12-13-2006, 04:01 PM
and yet, it's the smart move on his part, since he will probably make more on the market

either Wells turns the deal down "turning down 126M to play baseball" (although, realistically, he'll still be getting the 126M ...and more from someone else)

or else he takes it, which means he is turning down probably about $30M for almost no reason at all
Of course, he'd also be locking in $126 million, without the risk that he tears a knee ligament walking up some stairs, or gets a foul ball in the eye or suddenly just isn't as good next year. Personally, unless I just was desperate to get the hell out of Toronto, I think I sign it and take the certainty of knowing right now that I have $126 million coming my way.

Ol' No. 2
12-13-2006, 04:07 PM

or else he takes it, which means he is turning down probably about $30M for almost no reason at allOh, I know all that. But we get used to these numbers and throw them around almost without thinking about it. It just suddenly struck me as beyond bizarre that someone might get offered ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-SIX MILLION DOLLARS to PLAY BASEBALL and there's even a thought that he might actually turn it down. :thud:

palehozenychicty
12-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Oh, I know all that. But we get used to these numbers and throw them around almost without thinking about it. It just suddenly struck me as beyond bizarre that someone might get offered ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-SIX MILLION DOLLARS to PLAY BASEBALL and there's even a thought that he might actually turn it down. :thud:

I also think that if he's turning it down, then he just flat out doesn't want to play there. He will get a little more on the market, but not much more than that.

caulfield12
12-13-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm blown away that it's even considered a possibility that someone would turn down getting $126M to play baseball.:o:

Don't forget Juan-Gone (Tigers) and JD Drew (Dodgers)...or Albert Belle opting out of his White Sox contract, thank God for that.

SABRSox
12-13-2006, 04:56 PM
He won't take it.

Flight #24
12-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Of course, he'd also be locking in $126 million, without the risk that he tears a knee ligament walking up some stairs, or gets a foul ball in the eye or suddenly just isn't as good next year. Personally, unless I just was desperate to get the hell out of Toronto, I think I sign it and take the certainty of knowing right now that I have $126 million coming my way.

While true, the risk for a guy like Wells is far less than for a pitcher. It's been said that pitching is an unnatural act, I'm don't believe that hitting, running, & fielding (unless you're Rowand) is anywhere near as risky.

caulfield12
12-13-2006, 04:58 PM
While true, the risk for a guy like Wells is far less than for a pitcher. It's been said that pitching is an unnatural act, I'm don't believe that hitting, running, & fielding (unless you're Rowand) is anywhere near as risky.

See Griffey, Jr., Ken

Flight #24
12-13-2006, 05:11 PM
See Griffey, Jr., Ken

Your afraid that Wells is going to turn into one of the most injured players in recent MLB history?

It's not that it can't happen, just that it's pretty unlikely. And IIRC, Griffey lasted through his FA year before getting hurt, so nt sure that even supports your theory.

Foulke You
12-14-2006, 01:31 PM
Article on the decision facing the Blue Jays organization about Vernon Wells:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aqr.UoQD4RlCiFt5u9PY7ZoRvLYF?slug=ti-wells121206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Here is a question, how many here would still like KW to trade for Vernon Wells even if it was just a one year rental? I may be in the minority here but I think KW should go for it even if there is no hope for an extension beyond '07. I want to win the '07 World Series real bad, and Vernon Wells playing in a contract year could put up some ridiculous numbers for us. He would be that impact player we've all been hoping KW could land this offseason. I guess the question would be how much we'd have to give up to get him for a 1 year rental. I'd do Brian Anderson + pitching prospect for Wells. Not sure exactly what Toronto is in the market for though.

spiffie
12-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Oh I agree. But why when the numbers get that high would you take that risk, unless it is just desperation to leave Toronto? I mean, look at Clint Barmes in Colorado. Or if you get in a car accident on the way to a game. Or a foul ball flies into you in the on-deck circle.

I think at that level of money, I'd take the guaranteed cash the second its offered.

Palehose13
12-14-2006, 03:34 PM
:o:

If he turns it down they should just have him committed!

:kukoo:

Not if he doesn't want to stay in Toronto.

Flight #24
12-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Oh I agree. But why when the numbers get that high would you take that risk, unless it is just desperation to leave Toronto? I mean, look at Clint Barmes in Colorado. Or if you get in a car accident on the way to a game. Or a foul ball flies into you in the on-deck circle.

I think at that level of money, I'd take the guaranteed cash the second its offered.

As would I, but it depends on what he thinks he might get on the market. Is the risk of fluke injury worth passing on $10M? $20M? $30M? I have no idea what he might get, but there is a threshold at which it makes sense to pass on the deal. That's kind of personal, and as noted - he may not want to be in Toronto.

Think about Crede - if the Sox offer 5yrs / $40M, you think he'd take it? If instead, he waits out the next 2 years, he'd probably average something like $15/yr in his next deal. But personally, I'd take the $40M because I've never made anything even remotely in that ballpark.

The Immigrant
12-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Man, he must REALLY hate Toronto. Or he may have no interest in spending another year playing on turf.

soxfanaticpaulie
12-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Not if he doesn't want to stay in Toronto.

Toronto would have to be really really bad. The alternative is a HUGE risk. Get hurt or have a mediocre season and you may have flushed tens of millions of guaranteed money down the toilet.

An offer for that kind of money? Wells has won the lottery if it's true.

caulfield12
12-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Like Juan Pierre did this season?

Wells is still going to be a huge commodity this next offseason, even if he hits .230

santo=dorf
12-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that is too much for a guy with a CAREER OBP of .336? :?:

samram
12-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that is too much for a guy with a CAREER OBP of .336? :?:

Considering Soriano, an older player with a lower career OBP and a far inferior fielder, is making an average of $17 million annually, Wells has an argument that it isn't.

Palehose13
12-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Man, he must REALLY hate Toronto. Or he may have no interest in spending another year playing on turf.

Or possibly thinks that being in the same division as the Red Sox and Yankees staying in Toronto would mean that he rarely if ever sees the post season in Toronto. Maybe he's one of these guys that actually wants to win and will take 14 mil instead of 18 mil a season.

soxfanaticpaulie
12-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Like Juan Pierre did this season?

Wells is still going to be a huge commodity this next offseason, even if he hits .230

You really think that he is going to get offered this kind of money next year if he hits .230 in '07?

Pass some of that over here man...

Brian26
12-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Here is a question, how many here would still like KW to trade for Vernon Wells even if it was just a one year rental? I may be in the minority here but I think KW should go for it even if there is no hope for an extension beyond '07.

Isn't that completely contradictory to KW's thought-process surrounding the Garcia trade? He knew he wasn't going to be able to sign Garcia for reasonable money, so he got quality talent in return. After all of this, KW's not going to give up the farm for a one-year rental of Wells.

Brian26
12-14-2006, 10:21 PM

Exactly. And who is stopping him from demanding a trade a year or two from now if he doesn't like the direction of the team? It's the same tactic that Tejada and Manny have pulled over the past year.

caulfield12
12-14-2006, 11:17 PM
You really think that he is going to get offered this kind of money next year if he hits .230 in '07?

Pass some of that over here man...

He'll still get a minimum of $13 or 14 million even if he hits .230, because he's a much better risk at his age than Andruw Jones is, or Torii Hunter, for instance

wsoxfan
12-15-2006, 02:46 AM
I remember Juan Gonzalez turned down 140 million from the Tigers back in the late 90's or early 2000's I think. I think he probably regrets that decision just a tad now...

StillMissOzzie
12-15-2006, 03:07 AM

Ya think? I'd be shocked to hear that they'd go even higher.

Well, the agent also said (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AuC67M_q0gMR5wD803uDIp85nYcB?slug=ti-wells121206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) they hadn't had serious talks yet.

Sheesh. If $126M isn't "serious" then *** is?

These numbers are mind-bogglingly big. Still, he might say no:
1) Just wants to get the hell out of Toronto a/c thinks they'll never win
2) Likes Toronto, but doesn't want to play the next 7 years on artificial turf.
3) Doesn't mind 1) nor 2) above, but thinks he might get MORE elsewhere - but how much $ is enough? Is it all about the egos and "respect" (translated: biggest paycheck)? Why not leave a bit 'o cash on the table and let them put some players around you.

That could be a BIG risk, taking a chance on a season or career-ending injury.

SMO
:gulp: