Pitcher B just landed a 4/$40M deal from the free-spending Cubs

Pitcher A is Joel Piniero
Pitcher B is Ted Lilly
I being a lefty worth THAT much?

SMO
:?:

eriqjaffe
12-13-2006, 08:17 AM
I dunno, but I think we should offer Piniero a 5-year, $63.5 million contract!

veeter
12-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Piniero has had injuries, where Lilly is healthy. I wouldn't want either of them.

Jerksticks
12-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Piniero has had injuries, where Lilly is healthy. I wouldn't want either of them.

It think the old maxim is "one man's trash is another man's trash"

IlliniSox
12-13-2006, 01:44 PM
I remember Pinella saying his last year in Tampa that he doesn't care what arm a guy throws with as long as he gets people out. Best of luck, Lou.

caulfield12
12-13-2006, 02:00 PM
I would sign Pineiro to an incentives-based deal if he were to make the team as a reliever over Aardsma, Haeger and Floyd.

Odds are someone else will give him guaranteed money, though.

PennStater98r
12-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Pineiro's numbers look the way they do because he had one hell of a year about 2 or 3 years ago and has suffered through nagging injuries since. I suspect he's not been healthy since his "break-out" year.

havelj
12-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Joe-L has dropped off since the drug testing began.

I'm just sayin'.

DaleJRFan
12-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Pitcher A just got released by his team and is now a FA
Pitcher B just landed a 4/$40M deal from the free-spending Cubs

Pitcher B is Ted Lilly

SMO, best off-season thread, yet. Way to go! :redneck

DaleJRFan
12-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Piniero has an outstanding breaker and can bring the heat... he'll make a good middle reliever for someone on the cheap... too bad we don't have a spot for him. He's a cool cat and has decent stuff, just needs the rigt situation. He's just not good enough to be in any AL team's rotation.

Flight #24
12-13-2006, 04:35 PM
I would LOVE to get Pinieiro as an MR & potential 6th starter, esp at a discount and/or with the usual Sox team option. But I'd guess someone will offer him a guaranteed or near-guaranteed starting role and that he'd want to take it.

You want a Jermaine Dye/Bobby Jenks type of pickup, this could well be the guy. But in this market, that could still cost you $5M/yr or so.

caulfield12
12-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Piniero has an outstanding breaker and can bring the heat... he'll make a good middle reliever for someone on the cheap... too bad we don't have a spot for him. He's a cool cat and has decent stuff, just needs the rigt situation. He's just not good enough to be in any AL team's rotation.

What do you mean we don't have a spot for him?

We don't have to keep Floyd, he has another minor league option.

Are you saying we have to keep Aardsma, Floyd, Haeger/Tracey and couldn't fit Pineiro onto our roster?

This is exactly the type of pitcher KW goes after...this situation reminds me a little of Loaiza, always has looked better than results, good arm, decent make-up, just needs a change of scenery for everything to start clicking on all cylinders.

"Even if they left that door open, I think I'd have to close it," he said. "And I don't mean that in a disrespectful way at all. I love the city of Seattle. I love the fans and the people there. I have a house there. It's still home to me. I just think that when a team shows that it doesn't want you anymore, it's time to move on." The Seattle Times says the Red Sox and Royals are expected to show interest in Pineiro.
from Seattle Times

I've also heard the D-Rays or Marlins.

Domeshot17
12-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Doesn't Coop have enough projects this season, do we really want another?

I know we are all about bring a pitcher's career back from the dead (Garland-Thorton-Mac) but at sometime aren't we going to have to get someone who is proven to be good and consistent?

Frontman
12-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Pitcher B is Ted Lilly

SMO
:?:

Hell, considering what they're paying for anyone who can throw left handed, I was tempted to try getting a bullpen job, being a lefty. Granted, I can't really throw that hard, but they say lefty pitchers are worth their weight in gold! If that's the case, let me put on another 20 lbs and go try out.

:wink:

Front