PDA

View Full Version : Chris Stewart question..

JermaineDye05
12-12-2006, 10:51 PM
now I know he's not much offensively but from what I've seen of him he appears to be very good defensively and has a cannon for an arm. Does anyone happen to have his defensive stats and what his caught stealing percentage has been so far in his career?

Daver
12-12-2006, 11:12 PM
now I know he's not much offensively but from what I've seen of him he appears to be very good defensively and has a cannon for an arm. Does anyone happen to have his defensive stats and what his caught stealing percentage has been so far in his career?

What difference does it make?

Watch him play, that will tell you all you need to know.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-12-2006, 11:54 PM
I believe I read that he lead AAA (or whatever league in AAA the Knights are in) in caught stealing percentage. I could be wrong though. He does indeed have a cannon.

ajismyhero
12-13-2006, 09:39 AM
I enjoyed watching him pick off Grady Sizemore at the end of last season!

goldglovesox
12-13-2006, 11:38 AM
What difference does it make?

Exactly. Throw all AAA stats away when it comes to that. Percentage means nothing. The only stats that matter in that department would be attempted steals against them. Minor league players are often selfish and stat rats. They try to pad their stats anyway they can, especially SB's. So if guys are running on him a lot that means they think they can take advantage of him. But I think he will be ok defensively from what I have seen. Will not be Karko reborn and will be average to below average offensively. A nice back up to A.J. But not an everyday guy. Just my opinion.

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Exactly. Throw all AAA stats away when it comes to that. Percentage means nothing. The only stats that matter in that department would be attempted steals against them. Minor league players are often selfish and stat rats. They try to pad their stats anyway they can, especially SB's. So if guys are running on him a lot that means they think they can take advantage of him. But I think he will be ok defensively from what I have seen. Will not be Karko reborn and will be average to below average offensively. A nice back up to A.J. But not an everyday guy. Just my opinion.
Exactly, hence the word "Backup".

Frater Perdurabo
12-13-2006, 09:57 PM

Given your unique background, what has watching him play told you about him, and will you kindly share those insights with us?

(This question goes out to Ondafarm and the other scouts and former catchers as well.)

Daver
12-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Given your unique background, what has watching him play told you about him, and will you kindly share those insights with us?

(This question goes out to Ondafarm and the other scouts and former catchers as well.)

You'll get what he has, the ability to handle a pitching staff, once he gains the knowledge of what he is working with, a better than average arm with a very quick release, he does not rely on calling for a fastball to try and gun would be runners down. You will also get an occasional passed ball, he shares that problem with AJ, but not quite to AJ's extent. He will also give you an occasional airball to second by letting his arm get the better of his brain, that can be worked on. He defends his position better than AJ, he will rarely miss a throw to the plate, and isn't bad on the occasional pop up behind the dish.

He will never be an offensive threat, which is fine by me, catcher is a defensive position, moreso than any other postion on the field, but those that want some pop from the backup catcher would bitch long and loud about him.

Frater Perdurabo
12-13-2006, 10:38 PM
You'll get what he has, the ability to handle a pitching staff, once he gains the knowledge of what he is working with, a better than average arm with a very quick release, he does not rely on calling for a fastball to try and gun would be runners down. You will also get an occasional passed ball, he shares that problem with AJ, but not quite to AJ's extent. He will also give you an occasional airball to second by letting his arm get the better of his brain, that can be worked on. He defends his position better than AJ, he will rarely miss a throw to the plate, and isn't bad on the occasional pop up behind the dish.

He will never be an offensive threat, which is fine by me, catcher is a defensive position, moreso than any other postion on the field, but those that want some pop from the backup catcher would bitch long and loud about him.

Thanks for this insightful analysis. It's good to know the Sox have a homegrown option for a backup catcher. Do you think he would be ready to assume that role in 2007?

Also, I know that the best catchers spend a lot of time working with pitchers, but do you think that he could at least become adequate at situational hitting - ground balls behind the runner, sac flys, working the count, etc. - that would allow him to be something more than an offensive liability? Also, is he at least an OK baserunner? I know these are not the most important things when it comes to catchers, but I'm still curious as to the extent to which he could play "Ozzie ball."

Daver
12-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks for this insightful analysis. It's good to know the Sox have a homegrown option for a backup catcher. Do you think he would be ready to assume that role in 2007?

Also, I know that the best catchers spend a lot of time working with pitchers, but do you think that he could at least become adequate at situational hitting - ground balls behind the runner, sac flys, working the count, etc. - that would allow him to be something more than an offensive liability? Also, is he at least an OK baserunner? I know these are not the most important things when it comes to catchers, but I'm still curious as to the extent to which he could play "Ozzie ball."

I would not be opposed to Chris being named the second catcher for next season.

Chris has Crede speed.

I have no faith in Greg Walker developing anyone's bat to do anything, see Brian Anderson, and Juan Uribe as examples, these were the only two young hitters without experience that Greg worked with, and both declined from their previous numbers. Contrast this to the success Von Joshua had developing the hitters on the 2000 roster.

champagne030
12-13-2006, 11:33 PM
I would not be opposed to Chris being named the second catcher for next season.

Chris has Crede speed.

I have no faith in Greg Walker developing anyone's bat to do anything, see Brian Anderson, and Juan Uribe as examples, these were the only two young hitters without experience that Greg worked with, and both declined from their previous numbers. Contrast this to the success Von Joshua had developing the hitters on the 2000 roster.

I'm not going to say Walker has done a great job, but I think Walker had something to do with Crede's progression.

ondafarm
12-14-2006, 12:52 AM
I'm not going to say Walker has done a great job, but I think Walker had something to do with Crede's progression.

There's a difference between fine tuning a major leaguer performing at a solid level and getting somewhat more out of him and bringing up a kid. Major leaguers break in just once in their career and IIRC Walker didn't have a particularly hard time. Staying as a major leaguer and getting there are two different subjects. On the flip side, I think this means Walker can now work well with BA.

maurice
12-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Stewart understands the nuances of situational hitting, particularly after 2 years with Razor. I've even seen him drag bunt for a hit.

goldglovesox
12-14-2006, 02:13 PM
I think the criticism of Walker is unfair. Given the fact that he coached Crede in AAA when he had great numbers and then has been here as he has progressed. A hitting coach cannot force a player to make adjustments to adapt to the league. He can only help the player. I have heard him say on occasions that it depends on Joe. When he is ready to try what we are telling him he will be ok. But until then he will struggle. Same with BA. Look at guys who never struggle in the minors and then rise to the big leagues and have their first taste of failure. Its an adjustment period. Players get so caught up in "this is what got me here" and ignore the fact that they need to make adjustments. Certainly not the hitting coaches fault.

Daver
12-14-2006, 05:23 PM
I think the criticism of Walker is unfair. Given the fact that he coached Crede in AAA when he had great numbers and then has been here as he has progressed. A hitting coach cannot force a player to make adjustments to adapt to the league. He can only help the player. I have heard him say on occasions that it depends on Joe. When he is ready to try what we are telling him he will be ok. But until then he will struggle. Same with BA. Look at guys who never struggle in the minors and then rise to the big leagues and have their first taste of failure. Its an adjustment period. Players get so caught up in "this is what got me here" and ignore the fact that they need to make adjustments. Certainly not the hitting coaches fault.

So basically, get different players and not blame the coach?

Balderdash.

If his approach with the younger hitters isn't working, change the approach, or expect and accept the critiscism, period.