PDA

View Full Version : Baines at Sox Camp (Not playing)

Jerry_Manuel
03-08-2002, 08:25 PM
Harold Baines arrived at camp but hasn't joined the team. Baines, who will turn 43 on March 15, is serving as a visiting instructor in the minor league camp while he waits to hear if any Major League team wants to add him to their roster. He said he wouldn't announce his retirement until Opening Day, at the earliest.

foulkesfan11
03-09-2002, 10:24 AM
Harold, you have my respect for the past years, but PLEASE retire. It's time.

Lisa
03-09-2002, 02:43 PM
This might be a good thing. I'm guessing he won't be added to anyone's roster, and I like seeing him keep his ties to the Sox. I would love to see him as a minor league instructor and eventually manage in the organization.

CubKilla
03-09-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Lisa
This might be a good thing. I'm guessing he won't be added to anyone's roster, and I like seeing him keep his ties to the Sox. I would love to see him as a minor league instructor and eventually manage in the organization.

Are the Expos done shopping yet?

PaleHoseGeorge
03-09-2002, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure what kind of hitting coach Harold would be, but I love the idea of him joining the front office in community relations. With the passing of Al Smith, they ought to have a vacancy for Harold.

He would be perfect for the job. Give him a script to read, a map for finding the appearance location, and some ballpoint pens to sign autographs. He's quiet, unassuming, and completely-free of aberrant behavior. Most of all, Sox Fans love him.

If the Sox hired him, it would be the single-greatest move he could make to bolster his HOF induction campaign. He can't possibly collect the necessary hits, but with a long and loud effort by a dedicated group of fans and media supporters (i.e. Sox Fans and the Chicago media), Harold's cause could take on the same importance that the decades-long Nellie Fox campaign required.

Hey, if Phil Rizzuto can get in, so can Harold. I think Harold's campaign is at least as worthy as Ron Santo's, too.

:harold
"This would end the debate over which cap I would wear into Cooperstown, too."

Another example of totally un-negative constructive advice from WSI. Where's the beef?

:gulp:

czalgosz
03-09-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Another example of totally un-negative constructive advice from WSI. Where's the beef?

:gulp:

Who are you and what have you done with George?

Soxheads
03-09-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

You know what? I think West and George are the same person, and that George is just an alter ego of West.

Either that or I've had too much :gulp: (Pepsi, not beer!)

Daver
03-09-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

You know what? I think West and George are the same person, and that Geroge is just an alter ego of West.

Either that or I've had too much :gulp: (Pepsi, not beer!)

You've had too much of something.:redneck

Soxheads
03-09-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by daver

You've had too much of something.:redneck

It's a working theory.... :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-09-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

LOL! I'm the same sour puss I've always been. I'm just going out of my way to point out constructive ideas I've offered before. This isn't the first time I've suggested hiring Harold for Sox community relations.

Just another community service we provide for Sox Fans like you, Cz. Your wish is WSI's command!

:reinsy
"Oh, brother..."

idseer
03-10-2002, 09:14 AM
I'm not sure what kind of hitting coach Harold would be <snip>

i've always been under the impression hal spoke no more than 6 words a day! i can't imagine him being much of a communicator.

Harold's cause could take on the same importance that the decades-long Nellie Fox campaign required.

this still drives me nuts! how can people who supposedly are close to the game and understand all it's nuances have not voted fox in first shot? it's a crime he had to sneak thru the oldtimers back door. it was one of the first real blows in my mind to the baseball community's credibility.