PDA

View Full Version : Cws 8 Chc 7

Vsahajpal
03-08-2002, 07:03 PM
TUCSON, Ariz. - Willie Harris' game-winning three-run homer and Mark Prior's seven-strikeout performance gave both sides of town plenty to talk about after the White Sox came from behind to knock off the Cubs, 8-7 Friday afternoon at Tucson Electric Park.

Harris, a left-handed hitter, homered in the eighth inning off Cubs lefty Ron Mahay to erase a 7-5 deficit built off Sox starter Todd Ritchie (4 IP, 6 hits, 4 ER) and Bob Howry (2 2/3 IP, 4 hits, 3 ER). Kevin Orie and Adam Melhuse each homered off Howry, who had thrown two scoreless innings in his only previous Cactus League appearance.

Prior overpowered a Sox lineup which closely resembled what it will look like on Opening Day. Kenny Lofton struck out twice and Ray Durham, Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez, Jose Valentin and Royce Clayton each fanned once against the Cubs' top draft pick in 2001. He allowed one hit and walked one.

"From what I saw today he can pitch in the big leagues," Thomas said. "We've got very good hitters. He worked everybody."

Cubs starter Julian Tavarez, who is in danger of losing his spot in the rotation, gave up seven hits and five runs in three innings. Keith Foulke struck out two in two scoreless innings for the victory.

Soxheads
03-08-2002, 07:11 PM
What the hecks wrong with Ritchie?

If I se Clayton there on opening day, I will go crazy.

CubKilla
03-08-2002, 07:59 PM
Clayton will be there on Opening Day..... unfortunately (unless he's injured or traded).

Ritchie claims he's a slow starter. He better not have another 0-7 type slow start this year.

And beating the Cubs during ST and the reguler season is getting old. YAWN! There's never really any doubt what's gonna happen. :D:

:moron

"Yuck it up now scumbags. I'm writing, as we speak, more pro-Cub garbage about Pryor being the third-coming of Nolan Ryan. The though of Pryor and Wood in the same rotation make me wet."

:fluffy

"He's not lying."

Jerry_Manuel
03-08-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
Ritchie claims he's a slow starter. He better not have another 0-7 type slow start this year.

He started 0-8 last year, but that was because the Pirates didn't score many runs for him. He still has to pitch well this year, but he'll get the offense here.

Pete_SSAC
03-08-2002, 08:10 PM
4 ER and 6hits in 4 innings in ST aren't the end of the world. Remember that most starters that are locks to make the team don't go all out, plus, pitchers generally start off a season fairly slowly.

In short. Don't worry. I'm not. :cool:

- Pete

Soxheads
03-08-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

He started 0-8 last year, but that was because the Pirates didn't score many runs for him. He still has to pitch well this year, but he'll get the offense here.

Put in your sig that I think the Sox will win 94 games.

Jerry_Manuel
03-08-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
Put in your sig that I think the Sox will win 94 games.

In first or second?

Pete_SSAC
03-08-2002, 08:15 PM

In first or second?

Well, if the Sox came in second with 94 wins, then the Twins must be M's like.

- Pete, who beileves that the Sox will win the divison by over 5 games, barring horrendous injuries.

Soxheads
03-08-2002, 08:15 PM

In first or second?

First, and the Twins will be six games back in second. Also, KC will be third, and Cleveland 4th.

Pete_SSAC
03-08-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

First, and the Twins will be six games back in second. Also, KC will be third, and Cleveland 4th.

Wow. Did I miss something that KC will improve so much?

Sox
Twins
(Dogfight between Indains and Tigers)
KC

- Pete

Jerry_Manuel
03-08-2002, 08:21 PM
Done.

I added you as well Pete.

Soxheads
03-08-2002, 08:23 PM
Thanks Jer.

I think KC will be better for some odd reason this year. Cleveland has made themselves far worse, and Detroit sucks.

Vsahajpal
03-08-2002, 08:42 PM
Done.

I added you as well Pete.

The Sox will draft Tyler Parker, yep.

Jerry_Manuel
03-08-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
The Sox will draft Tyler Parker, yep.

Any thoughts on the division, Vic?

Vsahajpal
03-08-2002, 08:45 PM

Any thoughts on the division, Vic?

oh...sorry

Um, The Sox will take the Central, 93-69, Borchard hits 11 HR.

Jerry_Manuel
03-08-2002, 08:49 PM
oh...sorry

Um, The Sox will take the Central, 93-69, Borchard hits 11 HR.

I'll do a special draft edition sig later.

Interesting, I'll add you.

Vsahajpal
03-08-2002, 08:54 PM

I'll do a special draft edition sig later.

Interesting, I'll add you.

hey! no michigan ballers on your sig? Jalen? Jamal? c'mon!

Jerry_Manuel
03-08-2002, 09:02 PM
hey! no michigan ballers on your sig? Jalen? Jamal? c'mon!

The Bulls have been brutal since I put the sig up. I'm working on a new one right now. I'm sure I'll get tons of heat and hate mail over it, but I'll take it.

When the season is over(Bulls season) I'll add Crawford and Rose.

foulkesfan11
03-09-2002, 10:23 AM
Any time the Sox beat the Cubs it's cool. Even if it's only spring training! Cubs suck!