PDA

View Full Version : Gagne to the Rangers

asboog
12-12-2006, 12:35 PM
link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2695054&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines)

Reliever Eric Gagne (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6342) and the Texas Rangers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=tex) reached a preliminary agreement Tuesday on a one-year contract worth about $6 million.

palehozenychicty
12-12-2006, 12:37 PM
The Rangers make more and more brilliant moves.

The Immigrant
12-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Sacre bleu!

SABRSox
12-12-2006, 12:43 PM
I knew it. Some team would be stupid enough to give him a huge chunk of guaranteed money. Personally, I thought it would be Boston.

Huisj
12-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Didn't pitchers coming off multiple seasons of injuries to the back and elbow problems used to have to settle for small one-year deals with some performance incentives, or even minor league deals with ST invitations? I mean, sheesh, he's had a nerve removed from an elbow on which he previously had big surgery on, and he's coming off a herniated disk problem? $8 million? Crazy.

SABRSox
12-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Didn't pitchers coming off multiple seasons of injuries to the back and elbow problems used to have to settle for small one-year deals with some performance incentives, or even minor league deals with ST invitations? I mean, sheesh, he's had a nerve removed from an elbow on which he previously had big surgery on, and he's coming off a herniated disk problem? $8 million? Crazy.

Not when your agent is Scott Bora$$.

asboog
12-12-2006, 01:03 PM
What i really don't understand is why they would do this when they have Otsuka or how ever you spell his name.

Fenway
12-12-2006, 02:01 PM
I knew it. Some team would be stupid enough to give him a huge chunk of guaranteed money. Personally, I thought it would be Boston.

Theo is not stupid I hope

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_deal_SB_TE_12.12.06.jpg

ND_Sox_Fan
12-12-2006, 02:05 PM

Yeah, just ask Tom Gordon - makes a pretty good comparison.

D. TODD
12-12-2006, 03:06 PM
What i really don't understand is why they would do this when they have Otsuka or how ever you spell his name. I was listening to xm radio during my lunch, and the Rangers former beat reporter, (He's moving to St. Louis now) seems to think this means Otsuka will be dealt for starting pitching.

INSox56
12-12-2006, 03:11 PM
I was listening to xm radio during my lunch, and the Rangers former beat reporter, (He's moving to St. Louis now) seems to think this means Otsuka will be dealt for starting pitching.
Garland for Otsuka & Young? That could be deeppink too I guess..

spiffie
12-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Garland for Otsuka & Young? That could be deeppink too I guess..
Let's just keep that one as teal.

thomas35forever
12-12-2006, 05:46 PM
If the Rangers are trying to be a contender, this is not the right way to do it.

infohawk
12-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Tell me about it. Eight million bucks for a closer coming off surgery. Geeeeeez! He should have waited. Hendry would have probably given him twelve million.

Edit: Apparently it's six million. Still, coming off surgery? Yuk!

SABRSox
12-12-2006, 07:10 PM
The Rangers website reporting it is a 1yr/$6mil deal. That's not quite as bad, but still not good. I bet Balsa wishes he held out a bit longer for a better deal.

Domeshot17
12-13-2006, 12:49 AM
I wonder how soon before the presses start hyping the Garland/Vazquez for Otsuka Danks deals again since one with Houston is dead.

buehrle4cy05
12-13-2006, 01:16 AM
This deal would have made sense for $5 MM less. I understand that he was the most dominant pitcher in baseball a few years ago, but his arm is so incredibly ****ed up that he will probably be a shell of the "Game Over" Gagne days.

soxfanreggie
12-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Boras loves to take the Rangers for money. However, this one could actually go in the Rangers favor if he can perform...but the Rangers are on the hook for up to $5 mil more in performance bonuses.

Boras took them for $252 mil for A-Rod, $65 mil for Chan Ho Park, $60 mil for Milwood, $6 mil (the guaranteed part) for Gange, and he still has Zito that he might deal with them.

Rangers on the hook for a lot...Carlos Lee, Frank Catalanotto, Vicente Padilla, etc. They aren't the same Rangers as last year, but they better win now.

palehozenychicty
12-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Boras loves to take the Rangers for money. However, this one could actually go in the Rangers favor if he can perform...but the Rangers are on the hook for up to $5 mil more in performance bonuses.

Boras took them for $252 mil for A-Rod, $65 mil for Chan Ho Park, $60 mil for Milwood, $6 mil (the guaranteed part) for Gange, and he still has Zito that he might deal with them.

Rangers on the hook for a lot...Carlos Lee, Frank Catalanotto, Vicente Padilla, etc. They aren't the same Rangers as last year, but they better win now.

Uh...he went south to Houston, my friend.

veeter
12-13-2006, 11:46 AM
This deal would have made sense for $5 MM less. I understand that he was the most dominant pitcher in baseball a few years ago, but his arm is so incredibly ****ed up that he will probably be a shell of the "Game Over" Gagne days.He went to the Rangers so he won't have to face Blaylock ever again. :tongue: