PDA

View Full Version : Orioles sign Jay Payton

Whitesox029
12-12-2006, 02:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=2694469
The guy hit .296 last year with 10 HR and 59 RBI and can play center...if Kenny passed up on this guy, he'd better have something better up his sleeve, because I would have been happy with him as insurance in case the youngsters fail...like they did last year.

caulfield12
12-12-2006, 03:10 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=2694469
The guy hit .296 last year with 10 HR and 59 RBI and can play center...if Kenny passed up on this guy, he'd better have something better up his sleeve, because I would have been happy with him as insurance in case the youngsters fail...like they did last year.

if you're Jay Payton, do you take $2-3 million from the Sox when you can get double that from another team and a very good chance to start?

Whitesox029
12-12-2006, 03:17 AM
if you're Jay Payton, do you take $2-3 million from the Sox when you can get double that from another team and a very good chance to start?
Well, my original post was from KW's "go with the young guys" point-of-view. In my own opinion, the Sox should have offered him a starting job, and something tells me that, under Ozzie, it would indeed have been his job to lose.

MUsoxfan
12-12-2006, 03:42 AM
In my own opinion, the Sox should have offered him a starting job, and something tells me that, under Ozzie, it would indeed have been his job to lose.

:rolleyes:

RKMeibalane
12-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Well, my original post was from KW's "go with the young guys" point-of-view. In my own opinion, the Sox should have offered him a starting job, and something tells me that, under Ozzie, it would indeed have been his job to lose.

Keep in mind that Anderson and Sweeney are the future of the Sox organization. They won't get better if they don't play. There's also no guarantee that Payton will be able to repeat last season's numbers, and, as caufield pointed out, there's no reason to think that Payton would have accepted an offer had KW made it.

The constant whining about KW's personel decisions is getting old. Would you rather have "Jumbo-Tron Ron" back? The Sox have a larger payroll now, but that doesn't mean they should just throw money at players like New York or Boston have been known to do.

Fake Chet Lemon
12-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Keep in mind that Anderson and Sweeney are the future of the Sox organization. They won't get better if they don't play. There's also no guarantee that Payton will be able to repeat last season's numbers, and, as caufield pointed out, there's no reason to think that Payton would have accepted an offer had KW made it.

Adding Payton to the roster makes the outfield stronger in my opinion, and it was a move that didn't break the bank. So you do it. If Kenny would rather start the season with Pods and Anderson again as starters, he should be ripped some. I thought the organization was trying to win a World Series first, not develop young talent AHEAD of winning.

But I don't think Kenny is done this offseason anyway.

TheVulture
12-12-2006, 02:06 PM
What are you guys talking about? This is Jay frickin' Payton. I'm all for upgrading the OF, but I'd rather have Pods and Anderson or Sweeney out there.

cws05champ
12-12-2006, 03:17 PM
What are you guys talking about? This is Jay frickin' Payton. I'm all for upgrading the OF, but I'd rather have Pods and Anderson or Sweeney out there.

Amen!! There's a lot of people here that think we should pick up this guy or that every time he signs with another team. In Kenny I trust!!

Brian26
12-13-2006, 10:09 PM
I thought the organization was trying to win a World Series first, not develop young talent AHEAD of winning.

This lack of long-range thinking kills organizations once they become successfully. The model to emulate is the Atlanta Braves franchise who was able to win while gradually incorporating younger players into the fold. The Sox have to do that if they have any hope of being competitive for five or six years in a row. Look at how the Braves replaced Terry Pendleton with Chipper Jones, or Dave Justice with Jermaine Dye, or Ron Gant with Andruw Jones. Granted all of those guys had loads of talent, but the Braves gradually gave all of them a chance to contribute.

Steelrod
12-14-2006, 04:48 AM
This lack of long-range thinking kills organizations once they become successfully. The model to emulate is the Atlanta Braves franchise who was able to win while gradually incorporating younger players into the fold. The Sox have to do that if they have any hope of being competitive for five or six years in a row. Look at how the Braves replaced Terry Pendleton with Chipper Jones, or Dave Justice with Jermaine Dye, or Ron Gant with Andruw Jones. Granted all of those guys had loads of talent, but the Braves gradually gave all of them a chance to contribute.
I totally agree. The most important thing Kenny has on his roster is $$, to be used now or later to fine tune this team, Unless the Cubs, Red Sox, and Yankees are allowed to have 27 man rosters, Kenny's day will come!