PDA

View Full Version : White Sox offer arbitration to Crede/Cintron

caulfield12
12-11-2006, 11:09 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061211sox,1,4902832.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Whitesox029
12-11-2006, 11:13 PM
I still don't know how I feel about this issue...I love Crede, but it seems useless to keep both him and Fields...I would say Kenny should try to see what he could get for Fields, but that would be against his current philosophy. Obviously, we could only do that if we signed Joe to a long term contract first.

caulfield12
12-11-2006, 11:25 PM
We still have that unanswered question, who the heck can back up Anderson and CF adequately?

Preferably a RH hitter.

I just can't believe we will go into next season with this issue, as well as LH relief, unaddressed. Ozzie and KW have commented upon it, but nothing has been done. Obviously, they're not going to carry Owens or especially Sweeney to fill this role, and if they did keep Jerry, who would depart?

With Cintron, Gload, Ozuna and Mack apparently coming back, where is there room on the roster?

Another trade coming with one of those four going in part of a package?

DumpJerry
12-11-2006, 11:43 PM
I still don't know how I feel about this issue...I love Crede, but it seems useless to keep both him and Fields...I would say Kenny should try to see what he could get for Fields, but that would be against his current philosophy. Obviously, we could only do that if we signed Joe to a long term contract first.
I like having both on the roster. Fields will be able to spell Crede enough to preserve Crede's back for the stretch run.

caulfield12
12-11-2006, 11:46 PM
I like having both on the roster. Fields will be able to spell Crede enough to preserve Crede's back for the stretch run.

How are you going to fit both these guys on the roster? Are you going to have Fields as the back-up LF/RF as well as 3B?

Why even keep Mackowiak then, as they're essentially replicating each other? And Josh certainly can't play CF that I've seen (although some advocated creatively moving him to SS).

oeo
12-11-2006, 11:58 PM
How are you going to fit both these guys on the roster? Are you going to have Fields as the back-up LF/RF as well as 3B?

Why even keep Mackowiak then, as they're essentially replicating each other? And Josh certainly can't play CF that I've seen (although some advocated creatively moving him to SS).

I don't think Fields is in the plans to start the season on the 25-man roster, so it's a nonissue. Actually, he won't be on the roster until he gets some time in the outfield.

And I'd rather he be down in AAA getting some ABs, rather than sitting on the bench. I don't even think he's ready to be an everyday big league player.

caulfield12
12-12-2006, 12:02 AM
I don't think Fields is in the plans to start the season on the 25-man roster, so it's a nonissue. Actually, he won't be on the roster until he gets some time in the outfield.

And I'd rather he be down in AAA getting some ABs, rather than sitting on the bench. I don't even think he's ready to be an everyday big league player.

A lot of the same issues with the size and hitch in his swing as Crede when he first came up 4 years ago.

They don't have to adjust and make their swing more compact until they reach the big leagues...then it gets to be a mental thing, because they're consciously thinking about their swing and being "quicker" and more compact but that actually makes you slower.

ThirdBaseman
12-12-2006, 07:48 AM
Can someone please explain what arbitration actually is?

SouthSide_HitMen
12-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Can someone please explain what arbitration actually is?

From the MLBPA.com website (http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/pa/info/faq.jsp#arbitration):

Q: When does a player become eligible for salary arbitration?
A: A player with three or more years of service, but less than six years, may file for salary arbitration. In addition, a player can be classified as a "Super Two" and be eligible for arbitration with less than three years of service. A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 17 percent in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season

Q: What is the record between players and owners in salary arbitration cases? A: Since 1974, and including 2006, arbitrators have ruled on behalf of the players 199 times and clubs 269 times. Although the number of players filing for salary arbitration varies per year, the majority of cases are settled before the arbitration hearing date. For example, since 1990, 1,658 cases were filed and 191 were heard, which means approximately 88 percent of the players filing for arbitration reach new agreements before a hearing.

Basically, players with 3 - 6 years of service time are eligible to have their salary determined by an arbitrator if they cannot reach an agreement with the ballclub which owns the rights of their services until they have completed 6 years of MLB service. The top portion of players with 2 years of experience are also eligible provided they meet the criteria set above. Players with 1 or 2 years get the minimum or the minimum plus a nominal amount. Players with 6 or more years of service are eligible to negotiate with any team once their current contract expires.

Arbitration is needed since a player cannot negotiate with other clubs and he thinks the club's offer is not fair.

PS - I noticed the CBA was to expire 12/19/06 but they extended it through 2011 last Thursday (http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/pa/releases/releases.jsp?content=120806). :bandance:

gobears1987
12-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Sign Crede to a long term deal and trade Fields for an amazing starter

hi im skot
12-12-2006, 01:24 PM

Freddy Garcia?

White Sox Randy
12-12-2006, 01:28 PM

Trade Vazquez for Chris Young and Luis Vizcaino.

DickAllen72
12-12-2006, 04:52 PM
We still have that unanswered question, who the heck can back up Anderson and CF adequately?

Preferably a RH hitter.

I just can't believe we will go into next season with this issue, as well as LH relief, unaddressed. Ozzie and KW have commented upon it, but nothing has been done. Obviously, they're not going to carry Owens or especially Sweeney to fill this role, and if they did keep Jerry, who would depart?

With Cintron, Gload, Ozuna and Mack apparently coming back, where is there room on the roster?

Right now, there isn't room on the roster. Luis Terrero would be the backup CF as things stand right now. That means Mackowiak would have to go.

Ozzie stated that he would only play Mack in the OF in an emergency. Actually, Mack is a pretty decent corner outfielder, it's just that he is a disaster in CF. It took Ozzie all season to come to the realization that Mackowiak should not play CF, but now he seems to think he can't play the corner OF spots either, which are probably his best two defensive positions.

I always liked Mackowiak, but as long as Ozzie is the manager, the Sox would be better off trading Mackowiak.