PDA

View Full Version : Status of our team / organization...

White Sox Randy
12-11-2006, 04:16 PM
To me, as of now, things look like this:

Starting Rotation:

Buehrle
Contreras
Garland
Vazquez
McCarthy

Bullpen:

Jenks
MacDougal
Thornton
Aardsma
Floyd
? (lefty )

These pitchers should start the season in the minors IMO:

Haeger
Gio
Broadway
Phillips
Tracey
Logan

Outfield:

Dye
Pods
Anderson
Owens / Terrero

Sweeney should start the season in Charlotte

Catcher:

A.J.
? (anyone not named Alomar)

Stewart should start in Charlotte with Haeger

Infield:

Crede
Iguchi
Uribe
Konerko
Thome
Gload
Ozuna
Cintron
Mackowiack

Uh oh....one too many. And, Fields should start in Charlotte at 3B.

1. Clearly the Sox need to acquire a backup catcher.

2. They need another bullpen arm - preferably a lefty

3. One of Gload, Ozuna, Cintron or Mack. has to be moved because none of them can play CF.

4. CF - as of now Anderson, Owens and Terrero battle it out to be starter, backup and AAA. Or, a deal is made to acquire a CFer and Anderson probably becomes the 4th OFer unless he is sent in the deal.

Anyway, that's how I see it. Still plenty of work to do and I certainly hope that the Sox do not rush Sweeney, Haeger, Fields, Stewart or Logan as none of them are truly ready to succeed at this level.

Owens might be ready as a bench player but I don't see anything in Tracey to get excited about.

I still think this team can win it all if they could make an elite bullpen.

If the Sox are planning to trade another starting pitcher, which I am not opposed to, shouldn't it be Buehrle ?

CashMan
12-11-2006, 04:26 PM

If the Sox are planning to trade another starting pitcher, which I am not opposed to, shouldn't it be Buehrle ?

So who is the LH SP that will replace him?

caulfield12
12-11-2006, 04:27 PM

Starting Rotation:

Buehrle
Contreras
Garland
Vazquez
McCarthy

Bullpen:

Jenks
MacDougal
Thornton
Aardsma
Floyd
? (lefty )

These pitchers should start the season in the minors IMO:

Haeger
Gio
Broadway
Phillips
Tracey
Logan

Outfield:

Dye
Pods
Anderson
Owens / Terrero

Sweeney should start the season in Charlotte

Catcher:

A.J.

Stewart should start in Charlotte with Haeger

Infield:

Crede
Iguchi
Uribe
Konerko
Thome
Gload
Ozuna
Cintron
Mackowiack

Uh oh....one too many. And, Fields should start in Charlotte at 3B.

3. One of Gload, Ozuna, Cintron or Mack. has to be moved because none of them can play CF.

4. CF - as of now Anderson, Owens and Terrero battle it out to be starter, backup and AAA. Or, a deal is made to acquire a CFer and Anderson probably becomes the 4th OFer unless he is sent in the deal.

Anyway, that's how I see it. Still plenty of work to do and I certainly hope that the Sox do not rush Sweeney, Haeger, Fields, Stewart or Logan as none of them are truly ready to succeed at this level.

Owens might be ready as a bench player but I don't see anything in Tracey to get excited about.

I still think this team can win it all if they could make an elite bullpen.

Terrero is a LONG SHOT to make the team. He's insurance, and the White Sox would pick Sweeney over Owens to play CF. Owens just doesn't have much of an arm nor the instincts to play CF.

Buehrle is more tradeable than Contreras or Vazquez, but why do we want to trade him again? Unless we absolutely know we can't re-sign him, but it still makes more sense to let him prove that he's 100% back so we could get a much higher return by dealing him at the deadline.

Haeger has as good of a shot to make the team as Floyd. Floyd isn't out of options, he has one left.

jabrch
12-11-2006, 04:27 PM
So who is the LH SP that will replace him?

Is it a requirement that you have a LHSP?

JermaineDye05
12-11-2006, 04:28 PM

Catcher:

A.J.

Carl Everett? no... BIG BEN DAVIS!!

champagne030
12-11-2006, 04:42 PM

Hopefully, KW is well on his way to acquiring a backup catcher, two bullpen arms and an legit backup CF.

Who would fill the opening if any of our starters are dealt? We would have to receive a MLB ready guy in return because we do not have anyone on our roster that's a legit candidate to step into the hole created in the rotation.

White Sox Randy
12-11-2006, 04:45 PM
I think it would be a mistake to bring Sweeney up this early - see Brian Anderson. So, barring a trade, they will take a long look at Terrero - supposedly he's got 5 tool potential - or maybe Owens will impress.

I didn't say that we had to trade Buehrle but KW has all but said that he isn't re-signing so it would make sense at some point.

I don't feel that a LH starting pitcher is necessary.

If Floyd can't make our bullpen well then....that was one crappy trade. I'm pretty sure this is the Sox goal for him to pitch well out of the bullpen and move into a rotation spot in 2008.

I'd like Haeger to get more innings as a starter at Charlotte this year and then bring him up into our bullpen down the road.

Domeshot17
12-11-2006, 04:49 PM
You also don't bring up a kid like Sweeney to sit on the bench 5 days a week. He would be better off getting regular ABs in charlotte. Terrero makes the most sense because he is just a back up

EMachine10
12-11-2006, 04:52 PM
I don't see why Stewart would have to start the year in Charlotte, just because Haeger starts there. That's not Stewart's fault, and he shouldn't be penalized for that. He is exactly what we need in a backup catcher. He's got a fantastic arm too...ask Grady :tongue: . I just wish we could stick Stewart's arm on AJ's body.

Ol' No. 2
12-11-2006, 04:57 PM
I think it would be a mistake to bring Sweeney up this early - see Brian Anderson. So, barring a trade, they will take a long look at Terrero - supposedly he's got 5 tool potential - or maybe Owens will impress.:o::o:

Where's he hiding the other three?

White Sox Randy
12-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Personally, I think that I could live with an outfield of Pods, Dye, Anderson and Owens or Tererro.

I just don't believe in bringing up guys until they are really ready not almost ready...so I would leave Stewart in Charlotte.

If Uribe, Anderson and Pods struggle at the plate again and you add Stewart into the mix -we're going to have big offensive problems too.

I say get a RH catcher that can mash and play a little D.

I would love to see the Sox get Chris Coste from the Phillies. He is a career minor leaguer and he would be pefect to be a backup.

Is it me or does it seem like for about $ 8 mil. more the Sox could complete this team and eliminate a lot of risk ? 2 mil. for a backup catcher and $ 3 mil. each for a couple of relievers...that's all. Wouldn't that go a long way in helping to ensure a playoff spot ? Why are they messing around for a few more bucks when they just set the ALL-TIME ATTENDANCE RECORD ?

caulfield12
12-11-2006, 09:28 PM
I think it would be a mistake to bring Sweeney up this early - see Brian Anderson. So, barring a trade, they will take a long look at Terrero - supposedly he's got 5 tool potential - or maybe Owens will impress.

I didn't say that we had to trade Buehrle but KW has all but said that he isn't re-signing so it would make sense at some point.

I don't feel that a LH starting pitcher is necessary.

If Floyd can't make our bullpen well then....that was one crappy trade. I'm pretty sure this is the Sox goal for him to pitch well out of the bullpen and move into a rotation spot in 2008.

I'd like Haeger to get more innings as a starter at Charlotte this year and then bring him up into our bullpen down the road.

Julio Ramirez
Jimmy Hurst
Kenny Williams
Daryl Boston
Sammy Sosa
McKay Christensen
Joe Borchard
Alex Escobar

Just once, I'd like to see an outfielder with 4-5 star potential just be a regular player for the White Sox...

If Luis Terrero gets 200 at-bats for the White Sox this season, we're in serious, serious trouble. And KW has made a huge error in judgment with BA, perhaps as big as acquiring Ritchie, Clayton and Koch.

Because we've shed significant talent in Rowand and minor leaguers so BA could be THE MAN at a cheaper salary.

White Sox Randy
12-12-2006, 10:20 AM
I doubt this will be what the Sox open the season with. I still think Kenny will make a deal for an outfielder.

I wouldn't give up on BA yet unless you get a great offer from someone.

I really wish that we had Dye under contract long term because I like a 2008 outfield of Sweeney, Anderson and Dye.

We need a big bat in LF to go with those 2 and we could be set for years.

caulfield12
12-12-2006, 10:28 AM
I doubt this will be what the Sox open the season with. I still think Kenny will make a deal for an outfielder.

I wouldn't give up on BA yet unless you get a great offer from someone.

I really wish that we had Dye under contract long term because I like a 2008 outfield of Sweeney, Anderson and Dye.

We need a big bat in LF to go with those 2 and we could be set for years.

Soriano might be available next year at "half price," lol.

If the White Sox let Buehrle AND Crede go, then there's at least a 50/50 chance they would have to re-sign Dye, even at the $60 million over 4 years, although I have a feeling $45 for 3 years is the most KW would offer JD. However, mitigating against that is the constant KW chant "younger and faster," so you never know what's he thinking.

If Crede does go, Fields is obviously at 3B and not LF/RF.

We're never going to see an Owens, Sweeney and Anderson OF. Or Terrero.

White Sox Randy
12-12-2006, 11:07 AM
I hope we don't see that OF.

I don't want to see Fields at 3rd for the Sox this year - maybe next year.

If we trade Crede now, I think we need a stop gap at 3rd until he's definitely ready on both sides.

I don't have a problem with the going young thing and I think we waited too long on Dye. With this market now I don't think it would be wise to pay him what he could get.

caulfield12
12-12-2006, 11:30 AM
I hope we don't see that OF.

I don't want to see Fields at 3rd for the Sox this year - maybe next year.

If we trade Crede now, I think we need a stop gap at 3rd until he's definitely ready on both sides.

I don't have a problem with the going young thing and I think we waited too long on Dye. With this market now I don't think it would be wise to pay him what he could get.

Randy, what if the White Sox offered long-term deals to Uribe, Pods, Cotts and Politte after the 2005 season?

Wouldn't that make sense, they were all coming off seasons where you anticipated they were going to get even MORE expensive in the future?

Nobody knew Jermaine Dye was going to have an MVP-caliber season.

Or what if they did sign Crede to a Peralta or Sizemore deal and his back went out the second week of 2006? It's easy to look with hindsight and say we should have offered him a deal at mid-season.

Heck, we gambled with Konerko, Garland and Contreras and kept them, who's to say we won't end up working out a deal with JD?

White Sox Randy
12-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Well, we did sign Uribe long term and that's fine. Cotts and Politte would have been fine to extend also because they are cheap and tradeable.

As far as Dye goes you continue to talk as though Dye came out of nowhere to become a great player. Maybe you are much younger than me but I remember very well Dye being right on the cusp of superstardom with K.C. when he was hitting .300 30 and 115 for a few years while being one of the best defensive OFers in the game.

Then, he got injured a couple of times and still managed to put a few years of .270 20 and 80 together and then he got healthy and it's no surprise that he is great again.

Kenny deserves a lot of credit for his decision to sign Dye to the initial contract ! But, it is his job to predict the market and he could have seen that our OF prospects were not moving that quickly and that Dye is healthy again - I think that it's reasonable to expect him to have tried to extend Dye ( maybe he did, I don't really know).

But, I'm pretty sure that Dye will be gone after this year because if the Sox are going to spend huge money to re-sign him, that would probably rather go after someone else like Wells.

Zisk77
12-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Well, we did sign Uribe long term and that's fine. Cotts and Politte would have been fine to extend also because they are cheap and tradeable.

As far as Dye goes you continue to talk as though Dye came out of nowhere to become a great player. Maybe you are much younger than me but I remember very well Dye being right on the cusp of superstardom with K.C. when he was hitting .300 30 and 115 for a few years while being one of the best defensive OFers in the game.

Then, he got injured a couple of times and still managed to put a few years of .270 20 and 80 together and then he got healthy and it's no surprise that he is great again.

Kenny deserves a lot of credit for his decision to sign Dye to the initial contract ! But, it is his job to predict the market and he could have seen that our OF prospects were not moving that quickly and that Dye is healthy again - I think that it's reasonable to expect him to have tried to extend Dye ( maybe he did, I don't really know).

But, I'm pretty sure that Dye will be gone after this year because if the Sox are going to spend huge money to re-sign him, that would probably rather go after someone else like Wells.

Really? I forget, who did we get for Politte?

caulfield12
12-14-2006, 05:00 PM

Uribe signed his contract extension after the 2004 season, not 05.

If we had signed Uribe at $25 Million for 3 years after the 2005 season (not completely unreasonable, based on his post-season), would you still be happy to be "stuck" with him through 2008?

There are arguably 5 teams in baseball that would take him to be their starting shortstop, then you also have to figure in his salary.

Dye has NEVER been near stardom until the World Series and then last season. His demeanor is not that of a superstar. He's a lot like Magglio, he will end up with very impressive numbers but you wouldn't even think of voting him into the Hall of Fame.

I've seen Jermaine since he played with the Macon Braves and in the mid-90's when he was a rookie. He's always been a very fundamentally sound player, he'd hit between 20-35 homers, 80-110 RBI's, .270-.290, etc.

That Royals team put up some incredible offense numbers, they had Damon, Sweeney, Beltran, Randa, Berroa, Carlos Febles...look at the Nats or Rockies and you might see players with similar or better numbers you've hardly even heard about.

Dye is an average runner, a plus arm (now he's slightly above average for RF) and a great teammate, but he has never been a superstar throughout his career, it's simply not his personality.

You can call Michael Young a superstar and underrated until you're blue in the face, but he still won't act like one, which is probably a good thing. Same with JD, who's VERY humble and low-key.