PDA

View Full Version : Potential Non-tenders

Flight #24
12-11-2006, 11:27 AM
OK, another avenue for talent is about to open up for the offseason, as teams will non-tender players tomorrow. This includes some potentially interesting names:

OF:
- Brad Wilkerson (4th OF who's played CF, has a bit of pop in his bat, gets on base decently)

IF:
- Marcus Giles (can't believe this would be true)
- Mike Lamb (1B/3B type)

C:
- Toby Hall

P:
- Runelvys Hernandez (former SP, has shown flashes, good stuff)
- Joel Pinieiro (SP/RP candidate with flashes of talent)
- Chris Reitsma (bullpen candidate, coming off of injury)
- Jorge "corn" Julio (reliever with closing experience, IIRC "power arm")
- Shawn Chacon (SP/RP, but likely to be expensive)

SABRSox
12-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Of that list, Toby Hall would probably have the most value to the Sox as a backup catcher. He hits LH pitching pretty well, and has enough experience to spell AJ for whatever amount of time.

DaleJRFan
12-11-2006, 11:49 AM
P:
- Runelvys Hernandez (former SP, has shown flashes, good stuff)

Runelvys Hernandez was already released by the Royals to make room on the 40man for one of their off-season signings.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061207&content_id=1753657&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

Domeshot17
12-11-2006, 11:53 AM
I would take a flier on Julio. Good arm, never put it all together, but if Coop has any spare time this offseason with Aardsma and Floyd, he could make Julio into a damn fine pitcher.

That being said, I almost worry if we have too many power arms already, and could use a guy with more breaking ball/finesse pitching. Jenks heat wont look as fast to hitters who have faced Aardsma/Mac/Thorton beforehand.

I still am very curious to see what happens with Gagne, I think he would be perfect for us if he is willing to set up.

oeo
12-11-2006, 12:09 PM
I would take a flier on Julio. Good arm, never put it all together, but if Coop has any spare time this offseason with Aardsma and Floyd, he could make Julio into a damn fine pitcher.

That being said, I almost worry if we have too many power arms already, and could use a guy with more breaking ball/finesse pitching. Jenks heat wont look as fast to hitters who have faced Aardsma/Mac/Thorton beforehand.

I still am very curious to see what happens with Gagne, I think he would be perfect for us if he is willing to set up.

I'm pretty sure he wants a guaranteed closers job. He'll probably end up in an Indians uniform.

Huisj
12-11-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm pretty sure he wants a guaranteed closers job. He'll probably end up in an Indians uniform.

But didn't they sign Borowski to be the super stopper closer?

DaleJRFan
12-11-2006, 12:18 PM

Rumors are the Giants offered a garranteed 6 million.

The Immigrant
12-11-2006, 12:43 PM

The Indians don't have the "payroll flexibility" that Gagne will demand. If he was willing to accept an incentive-laden contract, someone would have signed him by now.

Toby Hall would be a good acquisition, but I am basically resigned to Stewart being our backup catcher next season.

CashMan
12-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Gagne has said he wants a Closers job and atleast 6mill for starters.

russ99
12-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Runelvys Hernandez was already released by the Royals to make room on the 40man for one of their off-season signings.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061207&content_id=1753657&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

Runelvys, Run! :tongue:

Navarro's Talent
12-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Toby Hall would be a good signing. He definitely has enough experience.

Ol' No. 2
12-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Of that list, Toby Hall would probably have the most value to the Sox as a backup catcher. He hits LH pitching pretty well, and has enough experience to spell AJ for whatever amount of time.The Dodgers are going to get bupkis for him in 12 hours. If Kenny wants him he can probably get him in trade for a low-level minor leaguer. He's probably cost them about $2M to sign.

White Sox Randy
12-12-2006, 12:02 PM
I'd be intersted in every one of those picthers as well as Hall, Wilkerson and Lamb.

Ol' No. 2
12-12-2006, 04:04 PM
What was Reitsma's injury? If he could be had for cheap with an incentive deal it might be worth a try.

Zisk77
12-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Rangers are reportedly close to giving 1 yr. 6 mil to gagne

Ol' No. 2
12-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Rangers are reportedly close to giving 1 yr. 6 mil to gagneVery close. :D:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82229

beckett21
12-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Sign me up for Wilkerson, assuming he can pass a physical.

He would be a great 4th OF candidate, or better.

santo=dorf
12-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Sign me up for Wilkerson, assuming he can pass a physical.

He would be a great 4th OF candidate, or better.
The Rangers are planning to tender a contract to Brad Wilkerson by Tuesday night's deadline.

Wilkerson probably won't get much of a raise from the $3.9 million he made last year, so keeping him around would be a good idea. He could see a lot of time in left field, with Frank Catalanotto in the DH spot. It's also possible that he'll start in right if Nelson Cruz has a bad spring.
Source: Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/121206dnsporanglede.1b2ceed6.html)
The Sox don't need another LH OF either.

Finger licking good, former Sox prospect, Brendan Donnelly might get non-tendered as well.

The Immigrant
12-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Finger licking good, former Sox prospect, Brendan Donnelly might get non-tendered as well.

Why would we need him? We already have Tracey and Montero.

KRS1
12-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Giles was just non-tendered....

Rotoworld

Braves non-tendered second baseman Marcus Giles.
We still think it's the wrong move for Atlanta, but GM John Schuerholz believed cutting Giles was the best way for him to get under budget.

Id love to see what he could do in LF for us. Prior to last season, he was a stud, but he still managed a good OBP despite his struggles. Too bad some team will claim him far before we get our shot.

Also, if Wilkerson is non-tendered, Id love to give him a shot in our OF.

SABRSox
12-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Giles was just non-tendered....

Rotoworld

Id love to see what he could do in LF for us. Prior to last season, he was a stud, but he still managed a good OBP despite his struggles. Too bad some team will claim him far before we get our shot.

Also, if Wilkerson is non-tendered, Id love to give him a shot in our OF.

The Padres will scoop Giles up.

Tragg
12-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Wilkerson's a good player; I just don't see a fit on this team. He had a awful, awful, awful offensive year last year, but that was probably an anomalay.

beckett21
12-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Wilkerson's a good player; I just don't see a fit on this team. He had a awful, awful, awful offensive year last year, but that was probably an anomalay.

He was playing with a shoulder injury, torn rotator cuff IIRC.

He could be a steal coming off a bad year. While the Sox may not need another LH OF, he has starter potential and would be worth a nominal risk IMO.

I just think it would be nice to have an actual OF as a 4th OF option. Maybe it's just me though. :redneck

SABRSox
12-12-2006, 08:11 PM
He was playing with a shoulder injury, torn rotator cuff IIRC.

He could be a steal coming off a bad year. While the Sox may not need another LH OF, he has starter potential and would be worth a nominal risk IMO.

I just think it would be nice to have an actual OF as a 4th OF option. Maybe it's just me though. :redneck

I like him a lot too. I think that when that shoulder is fully healed, he'll be good again. If you can get him cheap, he's certainly an upgrade over Ozuna.

Sargeant79
12-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Just noticed Chris Reitsma was non-tendered by the Braves. Supposedly he will be ready to go by spring training. Good idea? Bad idea?

Flight #24
12-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Just noticed Chris Reitsma was non-tendered by the Braves. Supposedly he will be ready to go by spring training. Good idea? Bad idea?

IIRC he's had a bit of an inconsistent career, but was the Braves closer for a stint. Last year was pretty bad, but he had elbow surgery, so not sure how much that played into it. If he's healthy & willing to take a "prove it" type of deal with a contender, he'd be a great fit as a 4th RP. Kind of Hermanson ca.2005 redux.

The guy I want, although he may get too expensive is Joel Piniero. Another SP/RP potential guy, who's had serious flashes of talent. If he's healthy, he'd be a perfect "6th starter" out of the pen. Heck - he might even end up a solid #5 guy either turning one of the veterans into trade bait or replacing them when they hit FA.

His first few years were pretty good. Unfortunately, his #s seem to get worse every year, not sure exactly why that would be since he did put up 2.5 very good years to start with, which one would think was enough time for the AL to "catch on" to him.

champagne030
12-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Plenty of options to upgrade our team. Get on the phone Kenny!

KRS1
12-13-2006, 04:15 AM

No thanks, he blows....

Now, Jorge Sosa got non-tendered by St. Louis, and he's got some down right electric stuff. I know his 2005 season has shown to be the exception in his career, but....... damn his stuff is filthy. I wonder if he'd be willing to accept a role in our pen, because he's sure to get interest from somebody as a starter.

jamokes
12-13-2006, 05:38 AM
I'll take Mike Lamb's bat any day.

Craig Grebeck
12-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Jayson Werth anyone?

Sox Fan 35
12-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Jayson Werth anyone?

Only if he can play CF.