PDA

View Full Version : Interesting steroids talk..........

Jurr
12-10-2006, 11:33 AM
So, I'm at the Grizzlies game with a buddy from high school. He was drafted in the sixth round in '97 by the Cleveland Indians. We hadn't ever really been able to talk at length about his injury that ended his baseball career. He had some interesting stuff to say.

He worked his way up to AA, then attended Indians camp in '00, where he experienced a stretched capsule and torn rotator cuff. He was sent to Dr. Andrews in Birmingham for evaluation, and was operated on in the Cleveland area. Then, he received rehab treatment. He lost a whopping 6 MPH on his fastball, and for the first time, he was experiencing pain after pitching rehab sessions in the bullpen. He was worried it was over.

Now, he was approached by the training staff in mid '00 and told that he should get on a cycle of deca and winstrol to take away his inflammation and build up his shoulder muscles. He knew a lot of guys were taking it, especially in the pitching side of things, but he couldn't believe the trainers were suggesting it. He said that the trainers even told him the exact regimen of drugs to take. Flabbergasted, he refused. He was cut by the Indians 2 days later, thus ending his career.

Due to the nature of what went down, he tried to sue the Indians for wrongful medical practice. His lawyer began pursuing the case, but was shocked to see that the training staff and team doctors had documented everything to the t, but nowhere in their report was the steroid conversation listed. Given the fact that it was his word against the documented training staff report, he had no case.

I just couldn't believe that the training staff of all people were pushing him to pursue steroids. It wasn't banned in those days, but you'd think that these things wouldn't happen.

gobears1987
12-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Wow just about says it all.

Jurr
12-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Wow just about says it all.
No joke. Mark Turnbow is his name. You can look up his stats. He was pretty solid, and had a good shot at making the roster, but his shoulder got him.

He said that 4 of the top 10 prospects in the system (himself included) went down with shoulder problems that year.

gobears1987
12-10-2006, 11:40 AM
No joke. Mark Turnbow is his name. You can look up his stats. He was pretty solid, and had a good shot at making the roster, but his shoulder got him.

He said that 4 of the top 10 prospects in the system (himself included) went down with shoulder problems that year.I don't doubt it for a minute.

Now here's a question, what Indians players aroudn that time suffered major injuries? I'd say it is highly likely some of them were juicing.

oeo
12-10-2006, 11:45 AM
I don't doubt it for a minute.

Now here's a question, what Indians players aroudn that time suffered major injuries? I'd say it is highly likely some of them were juicing.

It's highly likely that most guys were juicing around that time. I'm sure it wasn't just the Indians organization, but every organization, including the Sox. Steroids were everywhere.

Jurr
12-10-2006, 12:14 PM
It's highly likely that most guys were juicing around that time. I'm sure it wasn't just the Indians organization, but every organization, including the Sox. Steroids were everywhere.
But, for the training staff to condone it? Wow.

Ol' No. 2
12-10-2006, 12:48 PM
The only thing surprising to me is why you're surpised.

QCIASOXFAN
12-10-2006, 01:37 PM
The only thing surprising to me is why you're surpised.
I was just about to post that same comment.

DumpJerry
12-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Speaking as a lawyer, something is missing from the story. IIRC, Steroids are permitted if the regime is part of rehab (i.e. medically necessary), which this sounds like it is. Steroids are not allowed when a player takes them for non-medical purposes.

Sounds like your friend got cut because the prospect of his recovering to a level where he could be of service to the team was diminished. I'm not sure what legal cause of action your friend had against the Indians since they are not obligated to carry a player whom they feel will not be productive. The refusal to take the steroids was not the reason for him getting released, it was the loss of velocity in his pitch, therefore, the "missing" information is irrelevant.

RKMeibalane
12-10-2006, 04:13 PM

He said that 4 of the top 10 prospects in the system (himself included) went down with shoulder problems that year.

IIRC, he was a highly-regarded prospect. I can vaguely remember reading about him around '99 or '00.