PDA

View Full Version : What Tribune editor came up with this title?

caulfield12
12-09-2006, 11:05 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061209sox,1,6672311.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Nice to know Gonzalez has also already given up on signing Buehrle and Crede.

He must know more than KW does. I bet we could find a plethora of articles from last year predicting "doom and gloom" and that either Contreras or Garland was on the chopping block and was as good as gone.

tony1972
12-09-2006, 11:23 PM
I am starting to agree with Hangar about the Trib (I didn't agree with him before but the articles I have been reading in the Tribune the last few months I think maybe he's right)...

The Tribune is getting ridiculous..Since Williams has been GM the Sox have had NO LOSING SEASONS since 2001 and bought Chicago it's first World Series title in almost 9 decades..

The Tribune's acting as if the Sox are coming off a 100 loss season and the Cubs just won the World Series..geez...all this negativity towards the White Sox is so undeserved..(and especially Ken Williams)..

I am really starting to agree that these writers are Tribune pawns....although I don't totally agree with the direction Williams may be going..some of his moves will insure the Sox in being competitive in the future..

Almost every national media outlet has disagreed that the Cubs are overpaying for what they are getting. And many are supporting Ken Williams for trying to insure that the Sox have a future....

Yes - I applaud the Cubs for trying to improve their team. They have made some good moves. BUT THE FACT IS THAT THEY HAVE NO CHOICE ! Come on..you haven't won anything yet ! The games have yet to be played. If I just started following Baseball and read some of these articles in the Trib I would think that the Cubs had just won the World Series this year. Until you have actually won something quit PATTING YOURSELES ON YOUR BACK !!

Hangar is right. This is why I have started to only read the Daily Southtown and USA Today..

WhiteSox5187
12-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Either the Tribune is getting unprecenteded access to the White Sox management or their ax to grind is the size of Paul Bunyon's. I think the Sox are just sort of balancing their roster out so when Jose is no longer effective, Floyd steps in to replace him. I'm not looking for a fire sale, but I think they're preparing for the ravages of age as all teams should. THe '05 team was going to get old sooner or later. Better get ready for when that does happen.

HomeFish
12-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Sportswriters engage in massive speculation on a regular basis, especially during the offseason, when there isn't much to do.

KW's trading of Garcia for young players, as well as rumors that he was going to do the same to Garland, combined with the contract situation, all makes this a possible outcome for the Sox.

TheOldRoman
12-09-2006, 11:56 PM
More ridiculous garbage from the Trib. They are really going all out lately.
The Sox payroll was close to $100 million in 06, and it will be close to $100 million in 07. The Sox will have a winning record in 07, fans will come out, and the payroll will stay the same or increase a little for 08. JR always said he would increase payroll if the fans came out, and he lived up to his word in 06.

That is what these moron media-trolls overlook when they forcast this horrible predicament where the Sox will inevitably finish last. If the Sox have 5 young kids making no money in the rotation, along with Crede and Dye gone... WHERE THE HELL WOULD THEY SPEND $100 MILLION? Unless the team nosedives and 1.3 million people come out in 08, the payroll is going to be at least $100 mil in 09. Nice pipedream, though, Trib.

Grzegorz
12-10-2006, 04:51 AM
Finally getting around to the Morrisey piece and I find it a load of horse manure. What's the "rush" to get McCarthy into the rotation? There is no rush, but why wait to find out what you have in terms of talent?

If I am KW I am pissed; this column makes KW sound like Reinsdorf's mouthpiece.

Morrisey seems to forget that Garcia was less than stellar for most of the 2006 season, called out his teammates in public, and could not hold runner on base. I am amazed at Morrisey's short attention span.

I totally agree with the philosophy that signing pitchers to long terms deals is foolhearty. There is no protection at the back end of the contract if the performance of the pitcher declines because he's comfortable with the money.

To assume that the money saved by the Chicago White Sox will line the pockets of the GM & owner and not be used to obtain further resources is laughable. To assume because other teams pay for mediocre talent that the CWS should too is illogical.

To assume that Freddie Garcia gets his velocity back, continues to locate his new split finger pitch, changes his attitude, and works on his ability to hold runners on base is far more a leap of faith than believing McCarthy can provide a boost to the starting staff in 2007.

The Morrisey piece from December 8th is laughable.

As for Gonzales' piece "avoiding free agent showdowns in 2009" is pure conjecture on his part. Why commit to signings two years down the road if the player currently on the roster do not perform adequately or can be moved to obtain younger talent? Why is this anti-corporate behavior seeping into this sportswriters pen?

As for JD, if he has a great year this year he'll be due a boatload of cash. Do you pay an aging start or trade or let him walk in FA in order to give Sweeney a shot. Paying Dye the money might rob the team of further cash reserves to strengthen the team in other areas.

At this point in time, Sweeney has much greater range and a better arm now; so additional seasoning might prove that Sweeney is quite capable with a bat in his hands.

I'd just like to ask these clown writers if their attitudes toward CWS management's philosophy of paying their resources applies to Mrs. Gonzales' or Morrisey's philosophy in buying material goods.

If these two sport writers were faced with the choice of dumping money into an older car that has been quite serviceable as opposed to buying a new car I'd wonder what they'd do?

It's no different in sports than it is in business; dumping money into a declining capital asset is a waste of money when there are opportunities to upgrade. Sometimes those short term moves look risky, but they have to be done in order to keep the long term goal of the business of staying competitive moving forward.

Mohoney
12-10-2006, 06:06 AM
Why in God's name would you let ANYBODY from the Tribune talk to you about smart baseball signings?

Their business partner just gave Ted ****ing Lilly $40 million dollars, and last month, gave Alfonso Soriano, a guy that will hit behind the pitcher's spot TWICE per game, $136 million dollars.

Paul Sullivan better PRAY that Lou Pineilla pulls a huge rabbit out of his ass this year, otherwise that team will set an all-time record in kicking their fans in the nuts-ness.

Imagine almost $300 million committed in contracts ending up in 4th place...

Frontman
12-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Why in God's name would you let ANYBODY from the Tribune talk to you about smart baseball signings?

Their business partner just gave Ted ****ing Lilly $40 million dollars, and last month, gave Alfonso Soriano, a guy that will hit behind the pitcher's spot TWICE per game, $136 million dollars.

Paul Sullivan better PRAY that Lou Pineilla pulls a huge rabbit out of his ass this year, otherwise that team will set an all-time record in kicking their fans in the nuts-ness.

Imagine almost $300 million committed in contracts ending up in 4th place...

With all that money spent, and they've yet to shore up a pretty bad situation with their starting pitching. Funny, the team seems to have a ton of money for talent now, even though they claimed they didn't have enough money to finish the parking project they promised the city they'd do after getting the green light to "extend" the bleachers. I so hate the Cubs upper management.....

I for one am sick of the Tribune (as well as the baseball-moronic Mike Murphy) pickin' for nits. What the hell, fellas? You really think KW and the Sox are giving one iota of thought of what the Cubs are doing when making decisions? KW commenting that the FA market is overpriced this year ISN'T A DIRECT COMMENT ON THE FREAKIN' CUBS!!!! Passing on older talent for younger talent ISN'T A WAY TO FIRESALE THE TEAM. It's called trying to remain competitive for the long haul versus a success one year, abysmal failure the next. And the next, and the decade after that. Just because today KW hasn't signed Mark or Joe doesn't mean they'll never be signed.

Look, I will have a special place in my heart for the 2005 lineup. But if moving certain players allows the Sox to play meaningful games all throughout the season, and to remain competitive for post-season play, there isn't a single player I would say "Nah, don't trade him." I felt that way about Rowand (and even more now than last year.) Thanks Aaron for bringing us a championship, now go break a leg with the Phillies. (Granted, I didn't mean it literally, but with Crash, I should of known better.)

If KW has decided to pass on Joe Crede's resigning with the team, my philosophy is "Thank you Joe, for giving this team its first championship in 88 years, but its time to go." We the fans (as well as the Tribune) do not have every available piece of information. Maybe Joe's back is worse than we've been let to know. It could be that the trainers and medical staff have figured on Joe's back being in the same condition as Jim Thome's. Jim is in the end of his career, whereas Joe should be entering his prime years. Bad back might equal shorter career. Hence, why spend the money on him long term? Maybe KW and the Sox are taking a wait and see attitude, to make sure Joe's back has healed and that he starts off well in 07 before offering him a deal. Maybe he's a clubhouse cancer, and they can't wait to get rid of him! Granted, that is pure speculation, and as others have said, that's all baseball beat writers have right now, but how the Tribune spins things about the Sox, you'd think its just that KW didn't like Joe's haircut, so get out of town, Crede!

Falling in love with a player and being a player-fan over team success isn't how to win championships. Having a player hold a key position on your team when he's past his prime when you could of moved him earlier gets you no closer to World Championship. (What it gets you is crappy baseball, or gives you the Cubs organization over the years.) While I would like to see it, in this era, the idea of a player staying with one team in entire career just doesn't happen anymore.

Until the season starts, there is nothing etched in stone as to what the 2007 lineup will be.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Sportswriters engage in massive speculation on a regular basis, especially during the offseason, when there isn't much to do.

See Webster's Dictionary: Moronotti, Jay.

MarySwiss
12-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Ya know, reading that just made me tired all over. What it didn't do, though, was surprise me. I sometimes think the Sox could win five straight World Series titles and still be subjected to stuff like this.

cheezheadsoxfan
12-10-2006, 07:56 AM
I've been reading the Cubune for over 20 years (a stinking habit I know, but all I have access to up here) and don't remember them ever getting quite this ****ty. This is really a new low. Our WS win must have really got under their corporate skins along with the empty seats at Wrigley and the Sox surpassing them in popularity.

Where the hell does he come up with "a foregone conclusion" about Crede?:angry:

And people say the Internet is full of bull****?

Frontman
12-10-2006, 08:00 AM
I've been reading the Cubune for over 20 years (a stinking habit I know, but all I have access to up here)

So's smoking cigarettes and pot. The Surgeon General should be issuing warnings about reading anything published by the Cubune.

:wink: :D:

Front

cheezheadsoxfan
12-10-2006, 08:04 AM
So's smoking cigarettes and pot. The Surgeon General should be issuing warnings about reading anything published by the Cubune.

:wink: :D:

Front

I managed to quit those so maybe there is hope.:redneck I might try a subscription to the Sporting News, not as much Sox coverage but at least it should be rational.

Ol' No. 2
12-10-2006, 12:24 PM
I've been reading the Cubune for over 20 years (a stinking habit I know, but all I have access to up here) and don't remember them ever getting quite this ****ty. This is really a new low. Our WS win must have really got under their corporate skins along with the empty seats at Wrigley and the Sox surpassing them in popularity.

Where the hell does he come up with "a foregone conclusion" about Crede?:angry:

And people say the Internet is full of bull****?I think it's a combination of the Sox WS Championship and the recent stories indicating the Sox have become more popular than the Cubs. They're in full panic mode, trying desperately to deflect attention from the man behind the curtain. Right after the Garcia trade Gonzalez wrote a semi-reasonable article. He must have gotten called to the principal's office because he's now spouting the company line.

What's interesting is to contrast the Tribune screed with the articles from the Sun-Times. It's as if they're covering two completely different teams. Who'da thunk that Joe Cowley would become the voice of reason?

tebman
12-10-2006, 06:29 PM
I think it's a combination of the Sox WS Championship and the recent stories indicating the Sox have become more popular than the Cubs. They're in full panic mode, trying desperately to deflect attention from the man behind the curtain. Right after the Garcia trade Gonzalez wrote a semi-reasonable article. He must have gotten called to the principal's office because he's now spouting the company line.

What's interesting is to contrast the Tribune screed with the articles from the Sun-Times. It's as if they're covering two completely different teams. Who'da thunk that Joe Cowley would become the voice of reason?
It really is something. Remember that George Knue, Don Wycliff, and Rick Morrissey have all written about the conflict of interest that the Tribune doesn't have. They all have said that nobody tells them what to write, and that's probably literally true.

But we're dealing with human nature here, and all of those guys know who signs their checks. The Tribune suits are also running a marketing company, and they'd rather sell to the Cub-fan demographic. You and I are less desirable, you know -- South Side, blue-collar, and all that.

This probably isn't going to change, even if the Tribune sells the Cubs, because they're being driven by marketing people. I reconciled myself to this a long time ago: I'm not the Tribune's target market (Sox fan, South Side, etc.). But like Stuart Smalley, I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, other Sox fans like me! :tongue:

caulfield12
12-10-2006, 07:59 PM
I think it's a combination of the Sox WS Championship and the recent stories indicating the Sox have become more popular than the Cubs. They're in full panic mode, trying desperately to deflect attention from the man behind the curtain. Right after the Garcia trade Gonzalez wrote a semi-reasonable article. He must have gotten called to the principal's office because he's now spouting the company line.

Maybe it started with the anti-Jeter vote. If I were a columnist, it would be a much more comfortable position to establish the "niche" in town as a homer (in order to get access, of course, once you use that information...you won't have that), which provides more access to "priviledged" information that can't be directly attributed but which reinforces your articles and understanding of the organization and its philosophies.

GoSox2K3
12-11-2006, 12:51 PM
The Tribune is getting ridiculous..Since Williams has been GM the Sox have had NO LOSING SEASONS since 2001 and bought Chicago it's first World Series title in almost 9 decades..

The Tribune's acting as if the Sox are coming off a 100 loss season and the Cubs just won the World Series..geez...all this negativity towards the White Sox is so undeserved..(and especially Ken Williams)..

I am really starting to agree that these writers are Tribune pawns....although I don't totally agree with the direction Williams may be going..some of his moves will insure the Sox in being competitive in the future..

You're right. The way the Trib is endless fawning over the Cubs and ripping on the Sox, you'd never guess that the Sox have won 189 games and one world championship in the last two seasons. You'd never guess that the Cubs finished last in what might be the NL's weakest season in recent history and are now throwing wads of money, mostly at mediocre talent, to try to deperately fix a poorly managed franchise.

What the Trib wants to do is forever link the Sox with the image of the white flag, cut payroll teams of the late 90s. (Even those down years of a decade ago weren't a total waste. The media doesn't want to admit it, but the Sox really were rebuilding during those years and added the following players to the organization: Konerko, Crede, Ordonez, CLee, Buehrle, Garland, Foulke)

What they ignore is that since 1990 the Sox have been one of the more consistently competitive teams in baseball. A team that has been able to make a run at the playoffs deep into the season in '90, '93, '94, '00, '03, '05, and '06. Yet, all we hear is "one and done", "fire sale", and "Sox fans better find something better to do with their summers as soon as '08". *****!!!

maurice
12-11-2006, 01:00 PM
What Tribune editor came up with this title?

McGrath and Gonzalez are just echoing the party line previously stated by Rogers and Morrisey. Newspaper jobs are hard to come by nowadays. They wouldn't want to get canned with X-Mas around the corner.

Remember, the Trib recently put a PR / media guy in charge of their baseball operations. In the wake of the Sox success, they wanted to improve their image, not their team. You can't reasonably expect the coverage to become LESS biased.

The last time the media hysterically claimed that the Sox were cutting payroll and giving up the season was early 2005. That seemed to work out okay.

McCuddy
12-13-2006, 05:07 PM
What they ignore is that since 1990 the Sox have been one of the more consistently competitive teams in baseball.

No other team in MLB has finished at least third place or higher every year since (and including) 1990. That's all I need to know.

caulfield12
12-13-2006, 09:50 PM
No other team in MLB has finished at least third place or higher every year since (and including) 1990. That's all I need to know.

Great, we're the KC Chiefs of baseball, with the main difference being the World Series, lol.

ondafarm
12-14-2006, 01:34 AM
Thank God I don't get the Tribune here!!