PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Sign Marquis, Win NL Central

SOXintheBURGH
12-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Cubs give former Card 3 years, reported at $28 Million United States Dollars.

Sounds pretty fair for an ERA over 6. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2691994)

palehozenychicty
12-09-2006, 10:41 AM
linkee (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/chi-061209cubs-story,1,5103592.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

I guess they will be the most expensive horrible team in history.

palehozenychicty
12-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Yes, they will be the greatest mediocre team in history. I created a thread about this at the same time you did. If the mods could merge them, I'd appreciate it.

buehrle4cy05
12-09-2006, 10:58 AM
:roflmao:

hose
12-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Jim Hendry stars as Montgomery Brewster in the remake of Brewster's Millions.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-09-2006, 11:35 AM
:rolling:

This guy will lead the league in HRs allowed.

WizardsofOzzie
12-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Dear god, its almost painful to watch.....no wait, it will be painful to watch in the regular season when all those fans turn on that 150+ million dollar team whos dueling the Pirates for last place in the weakest division in the league

cleanwsox
12-09-2006, 11:38 AM
He couldn't even make the postseason roster and you throw 20 million at him for 3 years? Lol! Well, they won't have to worry about him not making another postseason roster.

:D:

WizardsofOzzie
12-09-2006, 11:40 AM

This guy will lead the league in HRs allowed.
I dunno, he has some stiff competition in Lilly, Miller, Hill, and Marshall

wsoxfan111
12-09-2006, 11:46 AM
First they sign an un-proven Ted Lilly and now Marquis?

JermaineDye05
12-09-2006, 11:55 AM
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2619/doctor4lj.jpg

Dr. Hartman- oh this does not look good, no it does not look good at all...
Peter- Oh God doctor, am I going to die?
Dr Hartman- No but that Hendry guy in the recovery ward might, the Cubs just went bankrupt

Domeshot17
12-09-2006, 11:55 AM
WoW. Is he really THAT much better then the likes of Glendon Rusch, Shawn Marshall or Wade Miller? I mean atleast Miller used to be a really good pitcher.

No doubt, the Cubs are better then they were last year. My thinking is, they signed a bunch of .500 pitchers and one of the leagues elite hitters. They signed a few guys who .500 is a good season. So my thinking is, this is a 79-82 win ball club. Even if they sneak into the post season, a rotation of Zambrano-Lilly-Marquis/Hill/Whatever the other **** they throw in on wall, it won't stick.

caulfield12
12-09-2006, 12:00 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9857573/2

UserNameBlank
12-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Before giving all that money to Lilly and Marquis, they had Zambrano, Prior, and Hill in their rotation.

The following starting pitchers are also on their roster:
Neal Cotts, Angel Guzman, Carlos Marmol, Sean Marshall, Juan Mateo, Wade Miller, Glendon Rusch, Kerry Wood.

You would think any combination of those guys except for Kerry Wood would give them equal sucktitude at about 18million or so less.

Great move, Flubs. Enjoy the cellar.

12-09-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm a die hard Sox fan and a fan of baseball. I'm not an anti Cub (especially since we beat them to the race for the Series in Chicago), I don't root for them, but I don't give a crap about them, they are as important to me as the Royals, less then because they are in the NL. As a fan of baseball, my comment is the Cubs are going out there and trying. They got a top of the line no BS manager, the #1 free agent in MLB, 2 MLB ready starters, the 2005 set up man of the year, and a great utility player in Derosa....if I were a Cubs fan, I would be excited for 2007. I think some of us here are sour grapes thats they are grabbing all the headlines. They are the Rabbit, we are the Turtle...but as the story goes, you know who wins that race. But on paper, the Cubs have put together an impressive team....and I could care less!! GO SOX

ZombieRob
12-09-2006, 12:41 PM
The funniest thing i hear from media outlets Sully the Leprechaun the a** kiss now that Kileys gone is that Hendrys a genius. Anyone could be a genius if they had near 200 mill to spend.
and IMO and i agree with Mike North on this,to me they are doing this in part because they are slowly losing this town White Sox fans.

UserNameBlank
12-09-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm a die hard Sox fan and a fan of baseball. I'm not an anti Cub (especially since we beat them to the race for the Series in Chicago), I don't root for them, but I don't give a crap about them, they are as important to me as the Royals, less then because they are in the NL. As a fan of baseball, my comment is the Cubs are going out there and trying. They got a top of the line no BS manager, the #1 free agent in MLB, 2 MLB ready starters, the 2005 set up man of the year, and a great utility player in Derosa....if I were a Cubs fan, I would be excited for 2007. I think some of us here are sour grapes thats they are grabbing all the headlines. They are the Rabbit, we are the Turtle...but as the story goes, you know who wins that race. But on paper, the Cubs have put together an impressive team....and I could care less!! GO SOX

No, I think the Sox fans are more pissed that the Cubs are helping drive the market to the point where it is so insane we may not be able to re-sign key players.

**** the Cubs.

UserNameBlank
12-09-2006, 12:57 PM
The funniest thing i hear from media outlets Sully the Leprechaun the a** kiss now that Kileys gone is that Hendrys a genius. Anyone could be a genius if they had near 200 mill to spend.
and IMO and i agree with Mike North on this,to me they are doing this in part because they are slowly losing this town White Sox fans.

The last time the Cubs gave a ton of money and a long term deal to a power-hitting, strikeout-pron corner OF they ended up eating a bunch of cash and sending him to Baltimore for Jerry Hairston, Jr.

History, as it always does, will repeat itself in Soriano's case.

As for Lilly and Marquis, the new Cubs GM will be shopping these guys next offseason.

ZombieRob
12-09-2006, 01:00 PM
The last time the Cubs gave a ton of money and a long term deal to a power-hitting, strikeout-pron corner OF they ended up eating a bunch of cash and sending him to Baltimore for Jerry Hairston, Jr.

History, as it always does, will repeat itself in Soriano's case.

As for Lilly and Marquis, the new Cubs GM will be shopping these guys next offseason.
I agree Marquis is leaving a pitchers park to a hitters park.and how many junk lefties succeed in wrigley . I want to say Steve Trout their last best leftie ??

HotelWhiteSox
12-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Didn't we score like 50 runs off him in 1 game last year

DumpJerry
12-09-2006, 01:01 PM
So, after siging DeRosa and Soriano, Hendry heard everyone saying "the Cubs need pitching!" Then he goes and signs pitchers. Any 'ole pitcher will do. Now he can say "I signed pitchers. Love me!"

Sigh. If I were a Cubs' ST holder, I'd cancel right now.

UserNameBlank
12-09-2006, 01:09 PM
I agree Marquis is leaving a pitchers park to a hitters park.and how many junk lefties succeed in wrigley . I want to say Steve Trout their last best leftie ??

Well at least he may hit one home run for every ten he gives up.

champagne030
12-09-2006, 01:36 PM

A rotation of Zambrano, Hill, Lilly, Marquis and Miller (Prior, blah, blah, blah)? They don't have a SS who can hit or an everyday 2B. Who is going to play CF? Their defense will be insanely weak up the middle (Izturis is good with the glove, but C, 2B, CF are looking to be major liabilities on defense).

veeter
12-09-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm a die hard Sox fan and a fan of baseball. I'm not an anti Cub (especially since we beat them to the race for the Series in Chicago), I don't root for them, but I don't give a crap about them, they are as important to me as the Royals, less then because they are in the NL. As a fan of baseball, my comment is the Cubs are going out there and trying. They got a top of the line no BS manager, the #1 free agent in MLB, 2 MLB ready starters, the 2005 set up man of the year, and a great utility player in Derosa....if I were a Cubs fan, I would be excited for 2007. I think some of us here are sour grapes thats they are grabbing all the headlines. They are the Rabbit, we are the Turtle...but as the story goes, you know who wins that race. But on paper, the Cubs have put together an impressive team....and I could care less!! GO SOXI'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree with just about everything you wrote.

23Ventura
12-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Didn't we score like 50 runs off him in 1 game last year
I can't remember if he started the game when we scored 20, or if he was the guy that helped hold us to only 13 runs.

MarySwiss
12-09-2006, 02:18 PM
So, after siging DeRosa and Soriano, Hendry heard everyone saying "the Cubs need pitching!" Then he goes and signs pitchers. Any 'ole pitcher will do. Now he can say "I signed pitchers. Love me!"

Sigh. If I were a Cubs' ST holder, I'd cancel right now.
No, Dump. If you were a Cubs season ticket holder, you'd be running around telling everyone that this is the year the Cubs will win it all because that's what they do every year.:cool:

WizardsofOzzie
12-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Cubs starting 5 as of now (06 stats)

Zambrano 16-7 3.41 ERA
Hill 6-7 4.17 ERA
Lilly 15-13 4.31 ERA
Marquis 14-16 6.02 ERA
#5 Pick your poision Wade/Prior/Marshall

One guy with an ERA below 4??? Potentially 4 guys who's ERA's will go into the 5+ range? Yeah, they sure know how to pick them

FedEx227
12-09-2006, 02:25 PM
I can't remember if he started the game when we scored 20, or if he was the guy that helped hold us to only 13 runs.

I'm pretty sure hes Mr. 20.

12-09-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree with just about everything you wrote.

And you have every right too, I resepct that. But I really believe if we finsihed with a record like the Cubs, and KW went out and got all these players, we would be happy, or at least a lot of people would. Yes they drove the market up and the hell with them for that, but Hendry job was on the line and he did what he thought he had to do to keep his job. GO SOX.

DaleJRFan
12-09-2006, 02:41 PM

The 11-run inning was against Mulder and the Sox won... what... 26-4 or something... Marquis gave up 13 runs because "LaRussa was saving the bullpen".

ChiSoxLifer
12-09-2006, 02:55 PM
By signing Marquis the Cubs managed to complete the double double: strengthening the Cardinals rotation and weakening their own. This guy had a 6.02 era in the weaker hitting National League for 3 years/$20 million? How much more difficult does this make it to re-sign our pitchers when they see a softball pitcher commanding a contract like that? This is just crap.

kobo
12-09-2006, 03:00 PM
And you have every right too, I resepct that. But I really believe if we finsihed with a record like the Cubs, and KW went out and got all these players, we would be happy, or at least a lot of people would. Yes they drove the market up and the hell with them for that, but Hendry job was on the line and he did what he thought he had to do to keep his job. GO SOX.
His job was not on the line. He signed a 2 year extension at the beginning of this season.

SoxxoS
12-09-2006, 03:12 PM
This signing is the worst signing of the offseason, IMO.

If you pick his two worst games, 10 IP 25 ER. Thats right. 25 ER.

I dont care if its a small sample size. The guy sucks.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-09-2006, 03:30 PM
You guys are completely missing the real reasoning behind this signing. Look at the new Cubs lineup a week and several injuries into the season...

1) Alfonso Soriano
2) Mark Derosa
3) Carlos Zambrano
4) Jason Marquis
5) Jacque Jones
6) Michael Barrett
7) Matt Murton
8) Cesar Izturis
9) Rich Hill

No. Teal. Needed.

23Ventura
12-09-2006, 03:51 PM
You guys are completely missing the real reasoning behind this signing. Look at the new Cubs lineup a week and several injuries into the season...

1) Alfonso Soriano
2) Mark Derosa
3) Carlos Zambrano
4) Jason Marquis
5) Jacque Jones
6) Michael Barrett
7) Matt Murton
8) Cesar Izturis
9) Rich Hill

No. Teal. Needed.

Unregistered
12-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Wow, they're gonna be like the Knicks of the MLB.

This should have delicious results. :bandance:

Hitmen77
12-09-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm a die hard Sox fan and a fan of baseball. I'm not an anti Cub (especially since we beat them to the race for the Series in Chicago), I don't root for them, but I don't give a crap about them, they are as important to me as the Royals, less then because they are in the NL. As a fan of baseball, my comment is the Cubs are going out there and trying. They got a top of the line no BS manager, the #1 free agent in MLB, 2 MLB ready starters (one of whom had a 6.02 ERA in the NL last year), the 2005 set up man of the year (who totally lost it in '06), and a great utility player in Derosa (who is about equivalent to Cintron to be their starting 2B)....if I were a Cubs fan, I would be excited for 2007. I think some of us here are sour grapes thats they are grabbing all the headlines. They are the Rabbit, we are the Turtle...but as the story goes, you know who wins that race. But on paper, the Cubs have put together an impressive team....and I could care less!! GO SOX

You're leaving out a few points.

Hey, who knows? Marquis and Cotts could rebound and DeRosa could have another career year. In a way, they are taking a chance like the Sox did on Dye, AJ, and El Duque in '05. I guess the big difference is the Sox signed those players to below market contracts while the Cubs are breaking the bank on these guys.

I think it's a risky move for them. I know they're rich, but even they have their salary limit and I wouldn't be surprised if they're quickly bumping up against it. All of this could really handcuff them for the next few years if these players don't work out.

...Or they could just get these guys to click and make the postseason in a weak NL. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Hitmen77
12-09-2006, 05:40 PM

I don't think Hendry gets credit for much here. All that's happened to him is that the Tribune decided to give him blank check and he's just been signing people regardless of sensible costs.

I don't think it was his choice to go from a $100 million payroll to a $1?? million payroll. Someone above him made that decision.

34rancher
12-09-2006, 05:52 PM
The best part is that Larry "I can make any pitcher hurt" Rothschild is convinced he can fine-tune him to do something Dave Duncan could not....Marquis was 3-10 with a 6.72 era after the break...:kneeslap: :rolling: :kneeslap:

ChiSoxLifer
12-09-2006, 06:12 PM
The best part is that Larry "I can make any pitcher hurt" Rothschild is convinced he can fine-tune him to do something Dave Duncan could not....Marquis was 3-10 with a 6.72 era after the break...:kneeslap: :rolling: :kneeslap:

I sure hope he doesn't get hurt. A healthy Marquis is worth more losses than an injured Marquis.

santo=dorf
12-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Marquis was a flop under Mazzone too.

Banix12
12-09-2006, 09:53 PM
I just find this all funny. Are they sure the blood is still getting to hendry's brain? For years Hendry has been hanging onto all these young pitchers in the minors refusing to trade most of the top guys like Guzman because "they were the future". (whereas guys like Nolasco were expendable)

Now he's signing marginal major league back of the rotation starters to huge deals while these minor league pitchers, who are by and large ready to try to break into the majors in some fashion, are probably gonna be left to rot down there.

I honestly think if he gave any of Marshall, Guzman, Mateo, Ryu, Marmol, O'Malley etc time to work out their problems at the major league level instead of shuttling them back and forth to Iowa they could have just as good a season if not better than the guys they have been signing.

And why are they signing all these marginal free agents when they have all this talent at AAA who they could trade and probably get a decent return better than what they are signing?

It boggles the mind, they are gonna be the most expensive 70 win team in baseball.

slavko
12-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Marquis did take a couple inning-eating hits for LaRussa and his ERA showed it. He's not really terribly bad when he's right. He can hit pretty good for a pitcher. But the money they're giving him is insane. Yes, the orders to spend are coming from above. It's not Hendry's decision, it wouldn't have been McPhail's decision if he were still there. I do worry that the angioplasty unintentionally diverted blood from his brain.

thomas35forever
12-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Man, this pitching staff is going to sa-uck.

And the fans will be either too drunk or too full of self-importance over the team's payroll to noitce.

WizardsofOzzie
12-10-2006, 10:06 AM
I just find this all funny. Are they sure the blood is still getting to hendry's brain? For years Hendry has been hanging onto all these young pitchers in the minors refusing to trade most of the top guys like Guzman because "they were the future". (whereas guys like Nolasco were expendable)

Now he's signing marginal major league back of the rotation starters to huge deals while these minor league pitchers, who are by and large ready to try to break into the majors in some fashion, are probably gonna be left to rot down there.

I honestly think if he gave any of Marshall, Guzman, Mateo, Ryu, Marmol, O'Malley etc time to work out their problems at the major league level instead of shuttling them back and forth to Iowa they could have just as good a season if not better than the guys they have been signing.

And why are they signing all these marginal free agents when they have all this talent at AAA who they could trade and probably get a decent return better than what they are signing?

It boggles the mind, they are gonna be the most expensive 70 win team in baseball.
You'd think they would learn something watching the Yankees blow millions on teams that can't make it to the series, but meanwhile the Marlins had the lowest payroll in the league last year and they nearly made the playoffs. Money dosen't always equal success. Somehow Hendry dosen't know this

kittle42
12-10-2006, 10:47 AM
It's nice to see the Cubs turned into the Orioles.

Beer Can Chicken
12-10-2006, 10:55 AM
You'd think they would learn something watching the Yankees blow millions on teams that can't make it to the series, but meanwhile the Marlins had the lowest payroll in the league last year and they nearly made the playoffs. Money dosen't always equal success. Somehow Hendry dosen't know this

I hate the Yankees as much as the next guy but the Yankees make the playoffs ANNUALLY. 11 straight years, 4 World Series in that time. I'd be happy with that. The SOX haven't even been to the playoffs 11 times.

Jjav829
12-10-2006, 11:22 AM
The Cubs picked the wrong offseason to open up the checkbook. They should have picked an offseason where good players were available. Jason Marquis? They'd be better off with Sean Marshall in their rotation, although he probably will be once Prior gets injured again.

palehozenychicty
12-10-2006, 11:26 AM
The Cubs picked the wrong offseason to open up the checkbook. They should have picked an offseason were good players available. Jason Marquis? They'd be better off with Sean Marshall in their rotation, although he probably will be once Prior gets injured again.

This is exactly what I'm thinking, that they decide to spend money in the weakest free-agent class in awhile. It will hurt them for years to come.

tstrike2000
12-10-2006, 11:56 AM
The Cubs picked the wrong offseason to open up the checkbook. They should have picked an offseason where good players were available. Jason Marquis? They'd be better off with Sean Marshall in their rotation, although he probably will be once Prior gets injured again.

And maybe even Juan Mateo. Marquis and the slightly better Lilly will be innings eaters at best. And Marquis might not even be that if he gets injured and/or leads the team in HR's allowed.

Ol' No. 2
12-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Cubs give former Card 3 years, reported at $28 Million United States Dollars.

Sounds pretty fair for an ERA over 6. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2691994)My absolute favorite part of that whole article:
Now it will be up to Rothschild to do what former Atlanta Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone and St. Louis Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan couldn't—figure out a way to get Marquis to become a consistent big-league pitcher.Seems reasonable. Rothschild has a much better track record than those other two bums.

:roflmao: :rolling: :roflmao: :rolling: You just can't make this stuff up.

SOXSINCE'70
12-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Jim Hendry stars as Montgomery Brewster in the remake of Brewster's Millions.

For the record,i'd also be hooked up to an EKG machine
if i'd spent the ungodly amount of money the sCrUBS
have spent this offseason.They couldn't even figure
out the pitcher they should have signed was Jeff Suppan.
His IP's in the playoffs were much more impressive,IMHO.

I'm going to enjoy this meltdown in '07.:cool:

SOXSINCE'70
12-10-2006, 03:25 PM
It's nice to see the Cubs turned into the Orioles.

IMHO,the Orioles are a better team.:cool:

southside rocks
12-10-2006, 06:51 PM
This is exactly what I'm thinking, that they decide to spend money in the weakest free-agent class in awhile. It will hurt them for years to come.

I second this prediction. :tongue:

PKalltheway
12-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Even though it's fun to dog the Cubs, they won't finish in last place next year. I can see them finishing in either 3rd or 4th place. I have no clue as to what their record will probably be, though.

Chips
12-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Even though it's fun to dog the Cubs, they won't finish in last place next year. I can see them finishing in either 3rd or 4th place. I have no clue as to what their record will probably be, though.

I can see them finishing in first or second. The NL Central isn't that good. Who knows and who cares?

palehozenychicty
12-10-2006, 09:36 PM
I can see them finishing in first or second. The NL Central isn't that good. Who knows and who cares?

We may not care on the pure baseball level since we play them six times out of the season, but in the entertainment market, people should care. On paper, they're still an inferior team to the White Sox, but the White Sox have to catch up on the fiscal perspective to the Cubs. They're competing between each other for the casual fan/transplant dollar, and it's already been explained ad nauseum on how more fans bring in more money to sign/develop better talent, coaching staff, etc.

As Fenway said about the Blow Sawx, the Cubs also have no clue how to develop players, but they know how to make money. It takes money to beat money. If the Sox can produce superior baseball, they will make a lot of money. Period.