PDA

View Full Version : Baseball and the Media ( new book )

Fenway
12-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Found an interesting new book at Barnes and Noble in Missoula yesterday. The title is Baseball and the Media and it is written by George Castle.
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/12010000/12010317.gif
From reading the book I gather Castle in on the fringe of the Chicago media writing for an Indiana paper and most of the book deals with how Chicago is mush different in media coverage than the east coast. Castle writes that no team in Chicago had more favorable coverage than the Halas owned Bears and if Halas didn't like what was written he could get the writer bounced from the beat with one phone call.

He looks hard at the influence Dave Condon had at the Tribune but suggests that even going back to Ring Lardner the Chicago writers were never as hard hitting as on the east coast. Lardner for example hinted that something was terribly wrong in 1919 but never came out and directly wrote what he thought.

The books explores why the Chicago baseball teams have never been strongly covered by other papers outside of Chicago ( Rockford, Springfield etc ) more content to use AP and thus not having a large number of reporters following the team as is the case of New York and Boston.

Also he explores why Chicago columnists tend NOT to go to the games and not actually meet the players they write about. He quotes Boston Globe columnist Jackie MacMullan as saying "The best advice I ever got was from
Dan Shaughnessy who told me that if I knock someone in print, you must be in the clubhouse the next day to talk to that person."

Obviously people here know more about George Castle than I do but it seems like a very well thought out book and a must read for Chicago baseball fans.

BTW the chapter on the Tribune covering the Cubs would make Henry proud.

Fenway
12-11-2006, 08:34 AM
read most of the book on the plane.

Again I don't know Castle at all but he seems to have an agenda against JR. He claims JR revoked his working press pass in 1992 when Castle on the field at USCF asked JR a Bulls question. ( it was restored a year later ) He has a quote from the Tribune sports editor saying we give the Cubs more press because they have more fans but he also praised their work during the 2005 World Series.

downstairs
12-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Looks interesting.... but I get nervous when a writer "has a grudge" against an owner or GM. That's difficult to not allow that bias to seep into your work.

caulfield12
12-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Found an interesting new book at Barnes and Noble in Missoula yesterday. The title is Baseball and the Media and it is written by George Castle.
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/12010000/12010317.gif
From reading the book I gather Castle in on the fringe of the Chicago media writing for an Indiana paper and most of the book deals with how Chicago is mush different in media coverage than the east coast. Castle writes that no team in Chicago had more favorable coverage than the Halas owned Bears and if Halas didn't like what was written he could get the writer bounced from the beat with one phone call.

He looks hard at the influence Dave Condon had at the Tribune but suggests that even going back to Ring Lardner the Chicago writers were never as hard hitting as on the east coast. Lardner for example hinted that something was terribly wrong in 1919 but never came out and directly wrote what he thought.

The books explores why the Chicago baseball teams have never been strongly covered by other papers outside of Chicago ( Rockford, Springfield etc ) more content to use AP and thus not having a large number of reporters following the team as is the case of New York and Boston.

Also he explores why Chicago columnists tend NOT to go to the games and not actually meet the players they write about. He quotes Boston Globe columnist Jackie MacMullan as saying "The best advice I ever got was from
Dan Shaughnessy who told me that if I knock someone in print, you must be in the clubhouse the next day to talk to that person."

Obviously people here know more about George Castle than I do but it seems like a very well thought out book and a must read for Chicago baseball fans.

BTW the chapter on the Tribune covering the Cubs would make Henry proud.

Your Shaughnessy quote sounds like it was taken directly from the Jay M. debate this past summer...

Fenway
12-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Your Shaughnessy quote sounds like it was taken directly from the Jay M. debate this past summer...

Shaughnessy can be brutal but he doesn't hide. 3 years ago he walked up to Nomar and told him "I'm blasting you tomorrow, is there anything you want to say to defend yourself".

Back in the 40's and 50's Ted Williams was crucified by a writer named Dave Egan who NEVER showed his face at Fenway Park.

Another point the book brought out is that beat writers now seem to turn over every couple of years as it is a marriage killer with the travel.