PDA

View Full Version : What has been KW's best move to date?

Beer Can Chicken
12-09-2006, 02:28 AM
Just curious what everyone thinks KW's best move to date was. Trade, waiver wire, or FAs, anything goes.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-09-2006, 02:41 AM
I don't know if I could pick just one. Here's my top 3:

- Signing Guillen as manager.

- The Contreras for Loaiza deal. Loazia turned into a bum, and Contreras, with his amazing run in the 2nd half of 2005, led us to a World Series Championship.

- Claiming Jenks off waivers.

nodiggity59
12-09-2006, 03:08 AM
Trading for Jose.

Picking up Jenks.

Signing Dye.

EndemicSox
12-09-2006, 04:22 AM
Picking up Dye or Contreras...

IlliniSox4Life
12-09-2006, 05:40 AM
Letting Maggs and CLee go. Without trading/letting them go, it wouldnt have been possible to get Pods/Dye, and free up room to pay our pitchers.

WhiteSox1983
12-09-2006, 06:40 AM
I like the fact that he gave up the cash to make pauly a white sox for the rest of his best years.

VenturaFan23
12-09-2006, 09:36 AM
It definitely has to be the Contreras for Loaiza deal. Just the fact that that deal flew under the radar on the same day the Cubs got Nomar and that was all you heard about.

Also, I remember my brother in New Jersey, a huge Yankee fan, telling me that we got screwed giving away a 20-game winner for just Contreras. I told him he was getting the 2004 Loaiza, NOT the 2003 one. Whoops!

A. Cavatica
12-09-2006, 10:12 AM
I think it was signing Loaiza and inviting him to spring training. He gave us a Cy Young-caliber season for chump change, and gave us the raw material to trade for Contreras.

ode to veeck
12-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Without the Lee for Pods deal, we'd never had the gret start out of the box in '05 that enabled the playoff run. Pods big HRs in the postseason were fantastic too, including the walk off that is still my favorite playoff footage (the "no way ... now way ... no WAY!!!" from the Sox dugout). Sure he lost his confidence on the basepaths and his OBP went down the tubes in '06 , but we wouldn't have been there without him in '05. Dye and Contreras wer also great moves.

Vernam
12-09-2006, 10:55 AM
I think it was signing Loaiza and inviting him to spring training. He gave us a Cy Young-caliber season for chump change, and gave us the raw material to trade for Contreras.Hard to argue with that one, since Loaiza was the gift that keeps on giving. I've always had a soft spot for KW's acquisition of Uribe, whom few believed could be an everyday shortstop when we stole him from Colorado for Aaron Miles. Here's the mlb.com story (http://tinyurl.com/vcmg7) from that day, where Kenny said:"In the short term, Juan gives us an experienced utility player who can deliver plus defensive skills at both shortstop and second base," White Sox general manager Ken Williams said Tuesday. "In the long term, we believe Juan has a high upside as an everyday shortstop in the Major Leagues."
Frustrating though his streakiness and lack of discipline at the plate can be, his production is better than a whole lot of shortstops out there. And his defense shored up a position that no serious contender can afford not to fill. The exclamation point he put on the ninth inning of Game 4 vs. Houston was simply spectacular.

Now let's dump his salary for some punk SS who'll keep his mouth shut and isn't arbitration-eligible for several years. :redneck

Vernam

caulfield12
12-09-2006, 11:34 AM
1. Original move to get Loaiza for free
2. Jenks for nothing
3. J. Owens for Alex Escobar
4. Garcia deal w/ Mariners
5. Loaiza for Contreras
6. Signings of Iguchi, Hermanson, Dye and AJ
7. Takatsu while it lasted
8. Guerrier for Marte
9. Uribe/Miles
10. Not trading Garland, Crede or Contreras at different times
11. Thome/Rowand
12. Picking up Ozuna
13. Julio Ramirez for Jeff Abbott (just kidding)
14. Myette for Clayton (except we didn't need Clayton, lol)

MeanFish
12-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik and Luis Vizcaino, and the signings that were enabled by that one move due to the freed up budget room.

103 screwball
12-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik and Luis Vizcaino, and the signings that were enabled by that one move due to the freed up budget room.

I agree this is the key to the ring. Pods, Viz, and money for Iguchi, AJ, and part of El Duque. Great move.

Thorton for Borchard makes me smile too. Borchard was going to get cut. KW turned that into a 95 mph lefty setup man that may turn into a starter someday. Nice.

Jenks....for nothing.

Reed, Morse, Olivo for 2.5 years of Freddie, a ring, Floyd, and Gio.

Count for Loiaza.

fquaye149
12-09-2006, 12:42 PM
in five years we'll be saying his best move was trading Freddy Garcia for two perennial all-stars

caulfield12
12-09-2006, 01:04 PM
I agree this is the key to the ring. Pods, Viz, and money for Iguchi, AJ, and part of El Duque. Great move.

Thorton for Borchard makes me smile too. Borchard was going to get cut. KW turned that into a 95 mph lefty setup man that may turn into a starter someday. Nice.

Jenks....for nothing.

Reed, Morse, Olivo for 2.5 years of Freddie, a ring, Floyd, and Gio.

Count for Loiaza.

can't believe i forgot thornton for joe-b (definitely Top 5)

the brewers trade was bad in one sense...except for economics and changing the character the personality of the team

you have to add Hermanson, AJ, Iguchi, Dye and El Duque that all suddently "fit" into the Sox plans without Maggs and C-Lee, even Geoff Blum

Wells for Sirotka, considering Mike never pitched again

areilly
12-09-2006, 01:04 PM
I'll add another vote for the entire Loaiza saga. Get him for nothing, get a Cy Young-worthy year out of him, and as soon as he slips trade him for another ace.

JermaineDye05
12-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Matt Thornton for Joe Borchard

caulfield12
12-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Riske for The OTHER Javier Lopez

Domeshot17
12-09-2006, 01:19 PM
In all theory, It has to be Jenks, you got a top 10 closer in the league for Free.

Contreras and Freddy were nice, but they cost us something. Granted not much for either (Loaiza was alright).

UserNameBlank
12-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Aaron Miles for Uribe.

Freddy Garcia for Reed, Morse, and Olivo.

Loaiza for Contreras.

CLee for Pods + Vizcaino, plus signings of Tadahito, AJ, and El Duque.

All these moves are of equal genious IMO.

Bucky F. Dent
12-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Acquiring Contreras.

nccwsfan
12-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Carlos Lee for Podsednik, Iguchi, Pierzynski, and El Duque. Four key players from the World Series team- no question that this was his best work.

caulfield12
12-10-2006, 09:09 PM
I always thought it was the unforgettable Julio Ramirez for Jeff Abbott deal.

Or just getting Koch off the roster.

ondafarm
12-11-2006, 12:57 AM
Jenks for nothing.

soxfanreggie
12-11-2006, 10:07 AM
1.) Jenks-you have a guy who can get 40+ saves with that heat and the wicked curve. Also, 130 Ks in 109 innings. I really, really like that ratio. Also 130 Ks to 46 walks and less than one hit per inning pitched...that's not bad either, shows decent control for a fireballer. Even if he's only our closer for a few more seasons (which gosh I hope he can play his entire career for us), we got him for nothing.

2.) Loaiza. Get a great season out of him and then get Jose who gave us a great season.

34 Inch Stick
12-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Thome for Rowand, Gonzalez and another minor league pitcher

Marte for Guerier

Locking up starting pitchers for below market prices

Fake Chet Lemon
12-11-2006, 01:43 PM
( Why is it nobody can read on this board? The thread asks for THE BEST MOVE. Than as usual, most go on to name every good move Kenny has ever made.:rolleyes: Focus people. )

Since this organization can't develop an All-Star catcher to save it's life the best move...................AJ.