PDA

View Full Version : Jason Hirsh

JermaineDye05
12-09-2006, 12:17 AM
I heard his name rumored in the proposed Garland deal and I looked at his major league numbers and they didn't look all that impressive but his numbers in AAA last year were damn good. I was just wondering what's the story on this kid, what's he throw, and if he'd be major league ready next season if a trade did in fact bring him over here.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-09-2006, 12:25 AM
I heard his name rumored in the proposed Garland deal and I looked at his major league numbers and they didn't look all that impressive but his numbers in AAA last year were damn good. I was just wondering what's the story on this kid, what's he throw, and if he'd be major league ready next season if a trade did in fact bring him over here.

KW had better hoped he was because he would have just dealt one of the better pitchers in baseball.

gr8mexico
12-09-2006, 12:45 AM
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/gameday/mugshots/milb/444865.jpg 48
Jason Hirsh, RHP, Astros (23)
2006 stats: 13-2, 2.10 ERA, 137.1 IP, 94 H, 51 BB, 118 K
2006 Club: Round Rock/Houston ETA in Majors: 2007 2006 Pre-season Rank: NR
Hirsh followed up a breakout 2005 with an even-better 2006 in the hitter-friendly PCL. While his big league time didn't go as well as hoped, he still got to experience a playoff race and is ready for the bigs now.

fquaye149
12-09-2006, 12:26 PM
KW had better hoped he was because he would have just dealt one of the better pitchers in baseball.

I thought he was looking to deal Garland....

unless you define "one of the better pitchers in baseball" as slightly better than average...which i suppose is a fair definition

UserNameBlank
12-09-2006, 02:17 PM
I thought he was looking to deal Garland....

unless you define "one of the better pitchers in baseball" as slightly better than average...which i suppose is a fair definition

I think that is a good definition, especially at a time when average and slightly-below average pitchers are being paid like superstars.

IMO, there are only a few real aces out there. Buehrle used to be, maybe he will be again, and Contreras showed flashes, but I don't think the Sox have a real ace anymore. Santana, Carpenter, Oswalt, Zambrano, and Halladay are the only pitchers I can think of that really fit the "ace" description right now. When healthy, Pedro and Liriano are, and a few guys like Kazmir and Capuano could be very soon.

So yeah, Garland would be one of the better pitchers out there IMO.

santo=dorf
12-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Who, Garland? You make it sound like he is part of some elite class.

White Sox Randy
12-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Hirsh should be as good or better than Garland in 2-3 years.

Britt Burns
12-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Hirsch wold immediately become the best starting pitching prospect the Sox have had since...Buehrle? Rauch? Maybe even Garland himself. I always hate seeing established, solid starters like Garland (and Garcia) go, but Hirsch is one of the better ones out there. I also really like how KW is trying to keep the Sox out of having to do the sickeningly-overpay-a-Gil-meche type deal for the forseeable future-a tough task given that our five are a little older and closer to their FA years.

jabrch
12-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Hirsh would be #3 behind Danks and Gio right now.

White Sox Randy
12-25-2006, 02:19 AM
Hirsh would definitely be ahead of Gio and probably ahead of Danks - it would be close.

Grzegorz
12-25-2006, 06:34 AM
Hirsch wold immediately become the best starting pitching prospect the Sox have had since...Buehrle? Rauch? Maybe even Garland himself. I always hate seeing established, solid starters like Garland (and Garcia) go, but Hirsch is one of the better ones out there.

Listen, Hirsh might be an exceptional starter but at this point it's all speculation; one cannot honestly say that Hirsh is can't miss. How are Hirsh's numbers, if extrapolated out to the number of innings pitched by Floyd, better than Floyd's? Yet it is Floyd who is the bust and Hirsh is the one with the huge upside.

Hirsh would definitely be ahead of Gio and probably ahead of Danks - it would be close.

Ahead of Danks in what respect? Because he pitched better in the minors? Certainly you cannot look at the numbers Hirsh put up with Houston and declare Hirsh a future ace.

Hirsh should be as good or better than Garland in 2-3 years.

Based on what evidence?

jabrch
12-25-2006, 12:07 PM

Find me a scouting report that has Hirsh ranked ahead of DANKS? None exist. I don't even know if you'd find him ahead of Gio.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=381&p=9&c=12&yr=2006&nid=287&lnid=287&rc=4&pid=49

Here's Scout's rankings. He's behind both of them.