PDA

View Full Version : I just realized..

tony1972
12-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Watching the DVD for the umpteenth time..I watched the fourth game that Garcia pitched..it made me kind of sad..

Right now most of the 2005 team is still with the White Sox.(that's why 2006 was so enjoyable)...but eventually over time more and more players will retire, be traded, etc and soon what existed of what was the most special team of our lifetimes will be gone...

It makes me a little sad thinking about it..I don't mean overly sad..but I think most of you probably know what I mean.

Garcia wasn't even one of my favorite players..but it will be hard one day when Konerko stops playing..A.J...Crede, etc..when you spend two or three hours a day six months a year watching the same people..it is weird how it becomes like part of your family (although we never meet them, etc.)..

Anyone know what I mean? The Garcia appreciation thread..one day we'll have one for Pauly, Crede..

How are we going to handle that ??!?! We'll need each other's support :D:

Jurr
12-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Watching the DVD for the umpteenth time..I watched the fourth game that Garcia pitched..it made me kind of sad..

Right now most of the 2005 team is still with the White Sox.(that's why 2006 was so enjoyable)...but eventually over time more and more players will retire, be traded, etc and soon what existed of what was the most special team of our lifetimes will be gone...

It makes me a little sad thinking about it..I don't mean overly sad..but I think most of you probably know what I mean.

Garcia wasn't even one of my favorite players..but it will be hard one day when Konerko stops playing..A.J...Crede, etc..when you spend two or three hours a day six months a year watching the same people..it is weird how it becomes like part of your family (although we never meet them, etc.)..

Anyone know what I mean? The Garcia appreciation thread..one day we'll have one for Pauly, Crede..

.....or, we just end up recognizing the 2005 Sox as the bridge to a few other rings. That way, we don't run into a group of canonized guys, which is exactly what happened with the Bears of 1985.

Keep it going, Sox!

tony1972
12-09-2006, 12:14 AM
But you know what I mean..even if the Sox win 10 more Series in our lives..the 2005 will be the one that means the most to all of us...

I just think about how my dad told me about Nellie Fox..and I tell my kid about Jack McDowell and Robin Ventura..

My son and I will be telling his kids about Konerko and Crede..

Sorry..guess I'm just feeling a little melancholy..

crazyozzie02
12-09-2006, 12:16 AM
i know what you mean. i completely agree with you. Back a while ago maggs was my favorite player and when he left i was both pissed and sad

lakeviewsoxfan
12-09-2006, 12:21 AM
But you know what I mean..even if the Sox win 10 more Series in our lives..the 2005 will be the one that means the most to all of us...

I just think about how my dad told me about Nellie Fox..and I tell my kid about Jack McDowell and Robin Ventura..

For me my kids will here about Big Bad Bobby Jenks he has become quite the folk hero.

Jurr
12-09-2006, 12:22 AM
i know what you mean. i completely agree with you. Back a while ago maggs was my favorite player and when he left i was both pissed and sad
True, true. Now that we have the internet and season packages for the TV, it makes it pretty easy to really feel like you have a bond with players.

HomeFish
12-09-2006, 12:56 AM

Cheer up. You'll be able to tell your children that you saw the White Sox win the World Series. There's a lot of people here whose parents or even grandparents never got to say that.

Brian26
12-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Right now most of the 2005 team is still with the White Sox.(that's why 2006 was so enjoyable

As we speak, that's actually not true. Over half of the playoff roster is gone (13 of 25 guys) since the Sox won the World Series under 14 months ago. And that doesn't even include Big Frank or John Rooney.

But, take a look at the two lists below. There's an obvious difference between the core list and the filler list. Quite honestly, Garcia's the first "core" guy that's moved from the "here" to the "gone" list.

Gone:
1. Everett
2. Blum
3. Marte
4. El Duque
5. Vizcaino
6. Hermanson
7. Politte
8. Cotts
9. Widger
10. Willie
11. Timo
12. Freddy
13. Rowand

Still here:
1. Konerko
2. Iguchi
3. Uribe
4. Crede
5. Pods
6. Dye
7. AJ
8. Contreras
9. Buehrle
10. Garland
11. Jenks
12. Ozuna

ondafarm
12-09-2006, 11:54 AM
No two teams are every exactly the same. Yesteryear's anxious rookies become this year's journeymen and tomorrow's wily veterans. As such we also have to marvel at the teamwork that one particular year had. The 2005 White Sox scored a lot of smart ball runs and actually, a lot fewer bushelful runs than many White Sox teams. The pitching was remarkable and Ozzie really masterful. The chemistry won't be the same next year, but I think it will be close enough that the 2007 Sox will be long in your memory.

ws05champs
12-09-2006, 12:02 PM
...but eventually over time more and more players will retire, be traded, etc and soon what existed of what was the most special team of our lifetimes will be gone...

It makes me a little sad thinking about it..I don't mean overly sad..

Before the 2005 season started I began looking into Buddhist philosophy. One of its teachings is that everything is impermanant. One of my first thoughts was that means that the condition of the Sox not winning a world series was impermanent and sure enough they won. If you believe nothing is permant than you do not become too attached to things.

2005 was so special because there is almost no possibility that any of us will ever experience 88 years without a world series win again. Even if the Sox win in 2007 the feeling will not be like 2005 (if they don't win until 2093, I won't be around to see it). Cherish the how you felt in 2005 and never forget it. I am looking forward to the next few years to be the best in Sox history with whomever it takes to do it.

As far as the Buddha's teachings on impermanence, I just hope it doesn't apply to the Cubs.