PDA

View Full Version : andy pettitte returns to new york...

JermaineDye05
12-08-2006, 03:32 PM
for 1 year per Buster Olney, other details not announced yet

ssirish317
12-08-2006, 03:34 PM
1 year, $16 million deal with a player option for 2008.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2691380

DumpJerry
12-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Uh oh. The 'Stros started the "we're getting Jon Garland" rumors to spur Pettite to sign with them. I expect Scott Borass' phone to be ringing soon.

munchman33
12-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Kenny should be able to hold the 'stros for randsom now.

gobears1987
12-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Kenny should be able to hold the 'stros for randsom now.
Here is a better idea. Kenny should avoid trading our ace or any good arm for that matter.

He already dumped one of our good arms for 2 losers.

ChicagoHoosier
12-08-2006, 04:22 PM
So then, who would be worthy to receive from the Astros from Garland?

Or is this better posted in WTS?

Chisox003
12-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Here is a better idea. Kenny should avoid trading our ace or any good arm for that matter.

He already dumped one of our good arms for 2 losers.
Everyone's an expert in December. :rolleyes:

KyWhiSoxFan
12-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Maybe Houston will now settle for Vazquez so the Sox can keep Garland alone.

veeter
12-08-2006, 04:39 PM
I don't see why the Astros don't just go with the guys they have. The NL, and especially the central, sucks. Hirsh, Nieve and Buckholz could probably do very well right now. They all pitched in the bigs last year. I mean, as hot as Kenny is for them they're probably pretty damn good.

russ99
12-08-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't see why the Astros don't just go with the guys they have. The NL, and especially the central, sucks. Hirsh, Nieve and Buckholz could probably do very well right now. They all pitched in the bigs last year. I mean, as hot as Kenny is for them they're probably pretty damn good.

You don't go from Clemens & Pettite to Woody Williams and kids and expect to sell tickets. That's the bottom line there.

I also think they're doing the smart thing as long as they spend the saved money. 30 million for an injury prone Clemens (7-6 2.30) and Pettitte (14-13 4.20) is too much.

I'd expect the Astros to pick up a #2 or a #3 via the trade route. Just not for Garland (please!)

NonetheLoaiza
12-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Everyone's an expert in December. :rolleyes:

No kidding.

Everyone is also apparently a Major League General Manager, too...

Brewski
12-09-2006, 01:30 AM
Weren't there rumors to the effect that Mrs. Pettitte wanted him back home in Houston where she could keep an eye on him and that was the reason he left the Yankees in the first place??? How has the situation at home and in NY changed so that the Mrs. approved this move? Just asking.

ewokpelts
12-09-2006, 02:45 AM
Weren't there rumors to the effect that Mrs. Pettitte wanted him back home in Houston where she could keep an eye on him and that was the reason he left the Yankees in the first place??? How has the situation at home and in NY changed so that the Mrs. approved this move? Just asking.16 million reasons

Fenway
12-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Last month, Andy Pettitte stood in front of a group of reporters at Joe Torre's charity dinner and talked about how difficult his latest career decision would be. To pitch or not to pitch, Pettitte wondered, and where to pitch if he decided that his beat-up 34-year-old body could do it.
FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/478608p-402671c.html)

Good get, but it won't get Yanks over the topFilip Bondy: Who wouldn't want Andy Pettitte back at the Stadium? The guy is a solid citizen, a 200-inning workhorse, a proven clutch performer, a lefty who can strike out anyone with a cutter that works all corners of the plate. He's also a recruiting magnet for Roger Clemens, who has yet to ink that 40-year contract with his family for stay-at-home fatherhood.FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/478611p-402672c.html)

Call Andy return dandyYankee fans were split yesterday over whether it's dandy to have Andy Pettitte back in the Bronx. Many wore their hearts on their pinstriped sleeves - believing that the 34-year-old pitcher still has the stuff to help bring the Yanks another world championship.FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/478614p-402641c.html)

tstrike2000
12-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Last month, Andy Pettitte stood in front of a group of reporters at Joe Torre's charity dinner and talked about how difficult his latest career decision would be. To pitch or not to pitch, Pettitte wondered, and where to pitch if he decided that his beat-up 34-year-old body could do it.
FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/478608p-402671c.html)

Beat up 34 year old body? I know that MLB pitchers have their fair share of injuries, but also sits on his ass for the better half of 4 days a week during a regular baseball season. Pettitte should try playing running back in the NFL for a few games and then he'll find out what a beat up body is really like.

"16 million? Oh, my body feels the best it has in years!"

palehozenychicty
12-09-2006, 10:10 AM
The best thing about this deal is the one-year with an option. It gives their young arms another year to get seasoned, then get traded to the White Sox. They're so desperate to avoid their youth movement that they'll sign anybody whose over 34. Damon, Abreu, Pettitte, Johnson.....

ondafarm
12-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Beat up 34 year old body? I know that MLB pitchers have their fair share of injuries, but also sits on his ass for the better half of 4 days a week during a regular baseball season.

If you think that MLB pitchers sit on their ass for the better part of four days during the regular season, then you haven't the foggiest idea of what it takes to keep in major league shape, especially for a pitcher. Pitcher don't play in games four days a week, but they are getting their work in as appropriate for the day in their cycle.

ondafarm
12-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Weren't there rumors to the effect that Mrs. Pettitte wanted him back home in Houston where she could keep an eye on him and that was the reason he left the Yankees in the first place??? How has the situation at home and in NY changed so that the Mrs. approved this move? Just asking.

Evidently, Mr Pettitte was bored in Houston and enjoyed the bright lights of New York so much more.

Fenway
12-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Evidently, Mr Pettitte was bored in Houston and enjoyed the bright lights of New York so much more.

The 20 million dollar question

Where does Roger go?

Houston now needs him desperatly but Boston and the Yankees will drive the price up

tstrike2000
12-09-2006, 02:32 PM
If you think that MLB pitchers sit on their ass for the better part of four days during the regular season, then you haven't the foggiest idea of what it takes to keep in major league shape, especially for a pitcher. Pitcher don't play in games four days a week, but they are getting their work in as appropriate for the day in their cycle.

I never said they didn't do their exercises or throw on the side. I'm comparing a major league starter to a football player to put it into perspective what a beat up body really is. Plus this given a fact that starters, especially in the AL don't bat or run the bases. Also, keeping the arm in major league shape is one thing, as for the rest of the body, I see a lot of guys who's major league shape is round.

FedEx227
12-09-2006, 02:45 PM
I never said they didn't do their exercises or throw on the side. I'm comparing a major league starter to a football player to put it into perspective what a beat up body really is. Plus this given a fact that starters, especially in the AL don't bat or run the bases. Also, keeping the arm in major league shape is one thing, as for the rest of the body, I see a lot of guys who's major league shape is round.

Um, have you ever heard of leg strength? That's where most pitchers get a majority of their speed. Arm strength is great but without in shape legs you're nothing.

Also, the amount of streches they have to do far exceedes anything a standard baseball player or football player ever does.

Daver
12-09-2006, 03:15 PM

You have no clue what it requires to pitch MLB baseball.

None.

tstrike2000
12-09-2006, 04:49 PM
You have no clue what it requires to pitch MLB baseball.

None.

You're right as far as I've never pitched in the MLB. However, I would venture to guess you've never been through double sessions in football camp.

ondafarm
12-09-2006, 05:08 PM
You're right as far as I've never pitched in the MLB. However, I would venture to guess you've never been through double sessions in football camp.

I played rugby at an intercollegiate level and then a club level for most of the years from when I was 18 to when I retired from it at age 39. I've played in Japan and New Zealand as well as in four different states. My personal record against national champion teams is 4-7. Not one of those national champions won fewer than 29 games in a season and the worst lost 4 games in that season. I considered myself a fairly skilled rugby player and consider rugby more punishing than double sessions in football. [Admitedly, that's an opinion.] Major league baseball players have to train harder than even world class rugby players. Major league pitchers have to work the hardest of all major league players.

PKalltheway
12-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Where does Roger go?

Hopefully to retirement. I'm just tired of hearing during the offseason about whether or not he's going to pitch. If he wants to pitch, he should just go on and say so. If not, then retire. You don't hear about Greg Maddux being so indecisive on whether or not he still wants to pitch. Really...Clemens is a first ballot hall of famer with two World Series rings, and seven Cy Youngs. He is also second on the all time list in strikeouts, has been on six pennant winners, and nobody alive has more wins than him, literally.

Honestly, what does he have left to prove?

palehozenychicty
12-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Hopefully to retirement. I'm just tired of hearing during the offseason about whether or not he's going to pitch. If he wants to pitch, he should just go on and say so. If not, then retire. You don't hear about Greg Maddux being so indecisive on whether or not he still wants to pitch. Really...Clemens is a first ballot hall of famer with two World Series rings, and seven Cy Youngs. He is also second on the all time list in strikeouts, has been on six pennant winners, and nobody alive has more wins than him, literally.

Honestly, what does he have left to prove?

He'll pitch for the Red Sox after they screw up the Matsuzaka negotiations. But I wish he'd go away, as I respected what he did over his career, but I find him to be a drama queen. I wouldn't be too surprised if he was roided either.