PDA

View Full Version : Money Can’t Buy Happiness, but the Cubs Hope It Does (NY Times)

Fenway
12-08-2006, 11:24 AM
“Obviously, we’ve stepped up and shown we’re serious and we were disgusted at the season we had,” said Gary Hughes, a special assistant to General Manager Jim Hendry. “We’re going to move forward and get better any way we can. We’re not through yet.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/08/sports/baseball/08cubs.html

NoShoesJoe
12-08-2006, 11:29 AM
"Anyone can have a bad century"

:rolling:

Hangar18
12-08-2006, 11:36 AM
man, forgot all about that. Among all of this HOG WILD SPENDING theyre doing, they still have sign Zambozo this season. He is (and deservedly so)
going to want to GET PAID

He knows the Cubs have the loot now,
I hope he asks for 6 years, $100 Million at least!

Uncle_Patrick
12-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Ever since a fan named Steve Bartman interfered with a fly ball when the Cubs were five outs from going to the 2003 World Series, they have fizzled.

I hope Alex Gonzales sends Steve Bartman a thank you card every time a media outlet mentions Bartman's name.

oeo
12-08-2006, 08:27 PM
man, forgot all about that. Among all of this HOG WILD SPENDING theyre doing, they still have sign Zambozo this season. He is (and deservedly so)
going to want to GET PAID

He knows the Cubs have the loot now,
I hope he asks for 6 years, $100 Million at least!

The Flubs only spend money for mediocrity...

The Bozo should really get out of there as fast as he can, I sort of doubt he does though.

WizardsofOzzie
12-08-2006, 09:07 PM
"Soriano offers a dynamic blend of speed and power. He strikes out a lot, does not walk much and his flaws could eventually make his large contract look onerous."

Sounds like a perfect blend for a leadoff man :rolleyes:

VenturaFan23
12-08-2006, 09:12 PM
"Soriano offers a dynamic blend of speed and power. He strikes out a lot, does not walk much and his flaws could eventually make his large contract look onerous."

It does already!

infohawk
12-09-2006, 11:29 AM
I hope Alex Gonzales sends Steve Bartman a thank you card every time a media outlet mentions Bartman's name.
Ha, I'd never thought about it like that before. You're absolutely right. Both Gonzales and Prior get a pass, don't they?

WhiteSox5187
12-09-2006, 01:32 PM
The Cubs payroll is moving towards $400 mil. and there is still a good chance they lose ninety games again. ANd ticket prices will ahve to go up in '08. Mediocrity comes with quite a price tag.

gosox41
12-10-2006, 10:33 AM
The Cubs payroll is moving towards $400 mil. and there is still a good chance they lose ninety games again. ANd ticket prices will ahve to go up in '08. Mediocrity comes with quite a price tag.

I know the Cubs have been spending a lot and I guess they spend more and more, their payroll will getcloser to $400 million, but I'm guessing when it's all said and done the Cubs won't spend twice as much on the 2007 payroll as the Yankees.

Bob

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-11-2006, 07:35 AM
I know the Cubs have been spending a lot and I guess they spend more and more, their payroll will getcloser to $400 million, but I'm guessing when it's all said and done the Cubs won't spend twice as much on the 2007 payroll as the Yankees.

Bob

That being said - I take some sick pleasure in knowing both teams will spend nearly $500M in payroll, and neither will win in the postseason in 2007.