PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens?

Qdiddy
12-08-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm throwing this out there but I remember reading something in the Sun-times that KW loves Clemens and might make a run at him. Who knows if Clemens would even sign with us, but maybe this is another reason why KW might be trading for more young arms. Here's my thought before you guys jump all over me for even suggesting this.

KW trades Garcia, and another starter..Garland, MB, or Vazquez. He then uses the 10 million he saved from Garcia, and another 9-12 million saved from trading one of the other 3 and signs Clemens to a one year 16-20 million dollar deal. That way Clemens is off the books for 2008 to free up money to maybe resign Dye, or someone else. Plus, he would still would have his surplus of new MLB ready arms to step in to help stay ahead of the salary curve.

This would be your 2007 Whitesox rotation:

Contreras
Clemens
Buehrle
Vazquez
BMAC

I'm using the Garland trade or non trade situation.

Bulllpen:
Gio/Logan
Aardsma
Hirsch
Thornton
Macdougal
JENKS

IMO this isn't a bad starting 5, and I firmly believe everyone would agree this is a way better bullpen.

What's do you guys think? Am I way off here? I just have a feeling that KW has something up his sleeves.

CashMan
12-08-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm throwing this out there but I remember reading something in the Sun-times that KW loves Clemens and might make a run at him. Who knows if Clemens would even sign with us, but maybe this is another reason why KW might be trading for more young arms. Here's my thought before you guys jump all over me for even suggesting this.

KW trades Garcia, and another starter..Garland, MB, or Vazquez. He then uses the 10 million he saved from Garcia, and another 9-12 million saved from trading one of the other 3 and signs Clemens to a one year 16-20 million dollar deal. That way Clemens is off the books for 2008 to free up money to maybe resign Dye, or someone else. Plus, he would still would have his surplus of new MLB ready arms to step in to help stay ahead of the salary curve.

This would be your 2007 Whitesox rotation:

Contreras
Clemens
Buehrle
Vazquez
Fingernails on a blackboard

I'm using the Garland trade or non trade situation.

Bulllpen:
Gio/Logan
Aardsma
Hirsch
Thornton
Macdougal
JENKS

IMO this isn't a bad starting 5, and I firmly believe everyone would agree this is a way better bullpen.

What's do you guys think? Am I way off here? I just have a feeling that KW has something up his sleeves.

#1 I am going to guess the 5th starter is McCarthy.
#2 Floyd is out of options, so he would be in the bullpen.

Baby Fisk
12-08-2006, 10:44 AM
There are several reasons why this won't happen (money, geography), but if by some miracle Roger Clemens were to join the White Sox, this is my fear:

White Sox pitcher Roger Clemens

+

Chicago weather in April

=

White Sox pitcher Roger Clemens broken down by May 1st, retires before June

jenn2080
12-08-2006, 10:44 AM
:bandance: 115 days until opening day :bandance:

DumpJerry
12-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Clemens in a bigger prima donna than Tyra Banks. No thank you.

spiffie
12-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Do you have this set up so that you just cut and paste this into every single WTS thread, or do you have to go to the trouble of clicking on the dancing banana each time? I hope you just have the code in a file somewhere so that you can just CnP it into your posts, otherwise you're being kind of inefficient about it.

russ99
12-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Unless other teams match that "not travel on the road with the team if you don't pitch" clause, Roger's not going anywhere.

The Astros have given him a sweet contract where he gets a big paycheck, can live at home, doesn't have to travel so much, do his personal speaking engagements during the season and eventually when he retires he become a (paid) goodwill ambassador for the team and gets to coach his son's team in the minors.

I can't see any team dropping the obscene cash and other perks that it would take for Clemens to leave all that. My gut says he's going to retire anyway.

itsnotrequired
12-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Do you have this set up so that you just cut and paste this into every single WTS thread, or do you have to go to the trouble of clicking on the dancing banana each time? I hope you just have the code in a file somewhere so that you can just CnP it into your posts, otherwise you're being kind of inefficient about it.

pwnd

jdm2662
12-08-2006, 11:15 AM

It couldn't come soon enough.

DumpJerry
12-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Her employer's IT Dept. did it for her to increase her computer productivity.

Hangar18
12-08-2006, 11:19 AM

nahh. only doing it when she has nothing to say.
As for your idea ..... Clemens would want too much $$$$$$$$, and the SOX are apparently using that space for younger pitchers

jdm2662
12-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Her employer's IT Dept. did it for her to increase her computer productivity.

Well you know, the computer needed good use in some way. :D:

spiffie
12-08-2006, 11:20 AM
As for your idea ..... Clemens would want too much $$$$$$$$, and the SOX are apparently using that space for younger pitchers
Hold up...that wasn't my idea. I want nothing to do with Clemens.

jenn2080
12-08-2006, 11:22 AM

That is not true. Just for ridiculous ideas.

jdm2662
12-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Hold up...that wasn't my idea. I want nothing to do with Clemens.

I'm hoping he was referring to the person that started the thread. I don't think someone as crazy as you would have such idea. :D:

spiffie
12-08-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm hoping he was referring to the person that started the thread. I don't think someone as crazy as you would have such idea. :D:
I thought it might not be a bad idea in July of 2005 when the Astros looked done and we seemed to be starting to sputter just a bit. But a year and a half later I can safely say that unless Roger wanted to pitch for a very tiny contract I wouldn't want him. If he suddenly decides he needs to be close to somewhere with good deep dish pizza, and would take 2 million for a year to pitch here, sure, sign him up. Otherwise...not so much.

PaulDrake
12-08-2006, 12:25 PM
That is not true. Just for ridiculous ideas. Most of the trade/acquisition ideas here leave me reaching for the smelling salts. So in that vein, only (fill in the blank) days until opening day. :supernana: :supernana:

Qdiddy
12-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Oh well, I thought having Clemens for one year while still getting some top notch young arms would make sense, but that's why everyone has there opinions.

Taliesinrk
12-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Oh well, I thought having Clemens for one year while still getting some top notch young arms would make sense, but that's why everyone has there opinions.

It's never gonna happen... but it's definately not a bad idea..

DumpJerry
12-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Actually, using your logic, we should count the days until July 31, 2007 which is the trading deadline. That is when all stupid rumors stop.

Stupid rumors start up again on August 1, 2007 as players hit the waiver wire and September callups are contemplated. That stupid rumor time period ends on October 1, 2007 when the regular season ends and all goofy speculation about how a 75 win season can propel a team to the World Series.

The next stupid rumor season starts on October 2, 2007 when the teams that did not make the playoffs are the subject of speculation of what they will do to make it to October baseball in 2008.

The final stupid rumor season starts about 10 minutes after the final out is made in the World Series and the two teams have to figure out how to repeat in 2008.

Then repeat the above cycle.

You may substitute the word "rumor" above with "speculation."

So, my question is, what is so magical about opening day with respect to these types of threads?

itsnotrequired
12-08-2006, 03:31 PM
So, my question is, what is so magical about opening day with respect to these types of threads?

I count down the days to Opening Day in my sig and it's easier for her just to copy that number.

:tongue:

DumpJerry
12-08-2006, 03:39 PM
I count down the days to Opening Day in my sig and it's easier for her just to copy that number.

:tongue:
My point is what is so magical about Opening Day when it comes to player acquisition specualtion? It does not end on OD.

eastchicagosoxfan
12-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Last year Clemens pitched 113 innings in 19 starts, or 6 innings a game. Will he be more of a strain on the pen, since he will NEVER pitch into the seventh? Hell, Javy Vazquez does that now, and look at the love he gets.

Jurr
12-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Soooo funny. Everybody says they wouldn't take Barry Bonds because he's a juicer. If you don't think Clemens has been just as guilty over his career, you're either blind or just don't know what to look for.

But, alas, he's everybody's hero.

palehozenychicty
12-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Soooo funny. Everybody says they wouldn't take Barry Bonds because he's a juicer. If you don't think Clemens has been just as guilty over his career, you're either blind or just don't know what to look for.

But, alas, he's everybody's hero.

Clemens probably did juice. How do you explain the second wind that his career took after he went north to Toronto? The spazz attacks on Piazza? Hmmm....

SOXSINCE'70
12-11-2006, 07:45 AM
I thought having Clemens for one year while still getting some top notch young arms would make sense.

It would,somewhat.My only problem:
"Ra-jah",as the Blow Sawx fans called him,
won't pitch until June.And there's also
the fact that both he and I turn 45 next year.
The body can only do so much.