PDA

View Full Version : BoSox, New Evil Empire? Several GMs Suggest Tampering

WhiteSoxFan84
12-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Talk of misconduct is swirling around the Red Sox (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/08/sports/baseball/08chass.html?ref=sports)

There's a lot of validity to this claim. Why would J.D. Drew walk away from $33 million guranteed with his history of DL stints and bad attitude? And he did this before he saw what Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Lee, and company were signing. I think it's beyond obvious that Theo assured Drew he'd be getting more than $11 mill per.

Sad how in the same profession, you can have sleezy crooks like Theo Epstein and high-class professionals like Kenny Williams. But then again look at who the commissioner of the league is. Sad.

MUsoxfan
12-08-2006, 12:54 AM
If they're going to tamper with JD Drew it's okay with me. I know there's something strange that went on with this deal, but I'd only be pissed if they tampered with a worthwhile player. The Red Sox threw away cash on a liability, not an asset

chaerulez
12-08-2006, 07:57 AM
Yeah, Drew is a really poor choice to start tampering with. I don't know why the Dodgers are upset, He was overpaid when he was making 11 million a season.

Fenway
12-08-2006, 08:22 AM
It is pretty obvious Boras *knew* Drew would do better than 11M for 3 years.....

caulfield12
12-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Talk of misconduct is swirling around the Red Sox (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/08/sports/baseball/08chass.html?ref=sports)

There's a lot of validity to this claim. Why would J.D. Drew walk away from $33 million guranteed with his history of DL stints and bad attitude? And he did this before he saw what Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Lee, and company were signing. I think it's beyond obvious that Theo assured Drew he'd be getting more than $11 mill per.

Sad how in the same profession, you can have sleezy crooks like Theo Epstein and high-class professionals like Kenny Williams. But then again look at who the commissioner of the league is. Sad.

KW is sometimes too honest and blunt (see Frank Thomas fiasco), but he wears his heart on his sleeve like Ozzie and I prefer this to Gaston and Manuel "bland vanilla-ness."

The only thing he's done as a GM that came under intense scrutiny:

Sirotka for Wells
getting the Barry/Berry's messed up with the Dodgers deal for Baldwin

Ol' No. 2
12-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Yeah, Drew is a really poor choice to start tampering with. I don't know why the Dodgers are upset, He was overpaid when he was making 11 million a season.Yeah. Don't be surprised if Colletti is sending Theo a box of chocolates when Drew goes on the shelf in June.

Foulke You
12-08-2006, 10:53 AM
KW is sometimes too honest and blunt (see Frank Thomas fiasco), but he wears his heart on his sleeve like Ozzie and I prefer this to Gaston and Manuel "bland vanilla-ness."

The only thing he's done as a GM that came under intense scrutiny:

Sirotka for Wells
getting the Barry/Berry's messed up with the Dodgers deal for Baldwin
I think you can add Freddy Garcia for Floyd/Gonzalez to that list for now too.

Domeshot17
12-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Don't forget the reports that the Red Sox kept buzzing to Lugo and Lugo's agent while he was in Tampa Bay. I honestly Hope Boras does something reallllllllly dumb with Matsuzaka, like buys the rights of him after Boston doesn't meet his demands, then gives him to the Yankees for 6 years 120 million. Its called Karma, Boston has plenty of it coming

caulfield12
12-08-2006, 11:27 AM

I could buy an argument about Vazquez, but it would PREMATURE evaluation.

How can any trade by evaluated after less than one week???

Patience (remember the Foulke deal, well we might not have won the WS without Neal Cotts last season, right?).

Fenway
12-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Honestly I wouldn't put it past Lucchino to pull stunt like this.

In may ways the Red Sox have become much worse than the Yankees.

FarWestChicago
12-08-2006, 10:33 PM
I think you can add Freddy Garcia for Floyd/Gonzalez to that list for now too.This from a guy with a crappy player username. :rolleyes:

Grzegorz
12-09-2006, 05:31 AM

Lets make evaluations based on empirical evidence and not emotion. There are a number of variables in play that can impact the performance of all the parties involved in this trade.

The best judge will be the 2007 season.

Fenway
12-09-2006, 10:19 AM
The Red Sox respond

Should the Dodgers opt to take action, however, the Red Sox may respond with as many as three tampering charges against Los Angeles, according to a source close to the situation,

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=171207

but the truth lies here
According to a GM not involved in the Drew matter, the belief among GMs at the winter meetings was split regarding whether the Sox may have tampered.
“Actually, most GMs feel it was a stupid sign and they did the Dodgers a favor,” he said.

caulfield12
12-09-2006, 10:21 AM
The Red Sox respond

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=171207

but the truth lies here

Derek Lowe?