PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf On Buehrle

Lip Man 1
12-07-2006, 11:08 PM
First public comment I've seen from the chairman on MB:

This is from a story on White Sox.com:

"With the madness that is in the market today, how could we have counted on being able to re-sign Freddy? Then, we have [Mark] Buehrle, who is a free agent who walks around wearing a Cardinals hat. You have to think he's going to be tough to re-sign. When you have a chance to move one guy who is close to free agency and come back with power arms, you have to go for it." --Jerry Reinsdorf to Scott Merkin White Sox.com

Lip

Corlose 15
12-07-2006, 11:10 PM
At some point if the Sox want to stay competitive anually they're going to have to start resigning their own talent. I mean come on this isn't Kansas City.

JohnTucker0814
12-07-2006, 11:11 PM
I just think that is the owner putting some pressure on Buehrle to re-sign for a normal market value. He says this to make the fans realize he would like to re-sign Buehrle, but it's Buehrle that won't re-sign... it's a good strategic move!

Didn't KW do that with Konerko when he was a FA?

oeo
12-07-2006, 11:20 PM

"With the madness that is in the market today, how could we have counted on being able to re-sign Freddy? Then, we have [Mark] Buehrle, who is a free agent who walks around wearing a Cardinals hat. You have to think he's going to be tough to re-sign. When you have a chance to move one guy who is close to free agency and come back with power arms, you have to go for it." --Jerry Reinsdorf to Scott Merkin White Sox.com

Lip

Just throwing a different perspective out there, but maybe it's just an attempt at humor? We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, Reinsdorf may not care that much and joke around with Buehrle about it (or maybe he's serious). I'd like to hear the tone of voice he said it in before jumping to conclusions.

Corlose 15
12-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Just throwing a different perspective out there, but maybe it's just an attempt at humor? We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, Reinsdorf may not care that much and joke around with Buehrle about it (or maybe he's serious). I'd like to hear the tone of voice he said it in before jumping to conclusions.

Thats a good point. I don't want to be doom and gloom either and I like how the Sox are talking about fiscal responsibility and aren't going to shill out ridiculous amounts of money for minimal talent. I just want to to resign the good talent they have.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Say they were to offer Mark a 3yr/36MM extension this ST do you think he would accept, knowing he can get at least 5 maybe 6 years and say 14-16MM a year? If Zito signs a contract lets say 5/75MM or higher I think Buerhle will be shipped to the loser or highest bidder.

HotelWhiteSox
12-07-2006, 11:32 PM
I don't think it would be that difficult, I mean, Mark is straight shooter, him and his dad have talked about how they love it here, and Mark has talked about how he has changed his mind on wanting to play for STL as he has heard from others who have done it how playing for your hometown can be hell. It'll also be nice this year if he can make some adjustment or show that he can have a scoreless first inning. Let's hope last year was a fluke, but then he might demand more, so who knows. He'd probably be more willing to give a lot of money to a power pitcher, especially if they think the league figured him out

oeo
12-07-2006, 11:35 PM
I don't think it would be that difficult, I mean, Mark is straight shooter, him and his dad have talked about how they love it here, and Mark has talked about how he has changed his mind on wanting to play for STL as he has heard from others who have done it how playing for your hometown can be hell. It'll also be nice this year if he can make some adjustment or show that he can have a scoreless first inning. Let's hope last year was a fluke, but then he might demand more, so who knows. He'd probably be more willing to give a lot of money to a power pitcher, especially if they think the league figured him out

I really hope if any pitcher stays, it's Buehrle. I want him to pitch his whole career here. We drafted him, he came up through our organization, and I want him to only pitch for the Sox.

lakeviewsoxfan
12-07-2006, 11:37 PM
I really hope if any pitcher stays, it's Buehrle. I want him to pitch his whole career here. We drafted him, he came up through our organization, and I want him to only pitch for the Sox.

It will cost them he will want the money and the years I just do not see it happening and it saddens me next to OG and PK I believe Buerhle is the vocal leader of the squad.

Martinigirl
I am so sick of the "Mark wants to be a Cardinal" discussion that happens every year. He grew up cheering for them, he cheered for them at the World Series. I honestly don't see the big deal about it. It is no different than Mackowiak going to see the Sox in the WS before he played for us.

And I look at the WS DVD, and the parade, and no one was more excited for not just himself, but for Sox fans, than Mark. I truly believe he loves being a part of this organization.

That said, and totally contradictory to what I just stated above, I do find something oddly endearing about how territorial JR can get about his Sox.

Corlose 15

Me too, I want to see ol' 56 on the outfield wall next to 35 some day.:smile:

rdwj
12-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Me too, I want to see ol' 56 on the outfield wall next to 35 some day.:smile:

I'd rather see him next to 24

Stoky44
12-08-2006, 12:02 AM
I don't say much on here too much anymore because of time, or lack there of. However, Buehrle is my favorite Sox player, and possibly favorite Sox player ever (a distinction I had before reserved for Harold). Buehrle has really grown on me over the years. I have met him twice, once walking down the street on Wabash and Monroe in the loop and a bar in Minn during the last series this year and he could not be a nicer guy. Plus he seems to be a hard worker/ blue collar type of guy; and is a solid/ above average starting pitcher.
He seems to play and have the love for the game like a kid, which is rather refreshing and unusual in today's baseball world. This maybe the best part of Mark. I hope he is a White Sox for life.

My 2 cents...

SABRSox
12-08-2006, 12:17 AM
I think JR is poking fun at Buerhle. And I still believe they are negotiating an extension for Mark.

MUsoxfan
12-08-2006, 12:39 AM
I am so sick of the "Mark wants to be a Cardinal" discussion that happens every year. He grew up cheering for them, he cheered for them at the World Series. I honestly don't see the big deal about it. It is no different than Mackowiak going to see the Sox in the WS before he played for us.

Exactly. If he leaves and goes to the Cardinals that's acceptable to me. Not a one of us can say that if you were a Major Leaguer playing for say the Mariners and had a chance to play for the Sox, the one team you loved while growing up. Now if he leaves and goes to the Orioles, that's a different story....:cool:

DSpivack
12-08-2006, 01:33 AM
I read somewhere today that there are only two pitchers in baseball with six straight 200 IP, 12+ win seasons: Mark Buehrle, and Freddy Garcia.

Thought that an interesting stat. Although, Vaz would be there, too, but missed by 2 IP in 2004. Maddux would be there since 1988, but was two outs shy of 200 innings in 2002. Zito won just 11 games in 2004. I am sure there are others close.

nccwsfan
12-08-2006, 08:00 AM
I don't say much on here too much anymore because of time, or lack there of. However, Buehrle is my favorite Sox player, and possibly favorite Sox player ever (a distinction I had before reserved for Harold). Buehrle has really grown on me over the years. Plus he seems to be a hard worker/ blue collar type of guy; and is a solid/ above average starting pitcher.
He seems to play and have the love for the game like a kid, which is rather refreshing and unusual in today's baseball world. This maybe the best part of Mark. I hope he is a White Sox for life.

My 2 cents...

I echo those sentiments- Buehrle and Baines are my all time favorites...

There's plenty of time to work out an extension with Buehrle. Wait for the dust to settle with the offseason, see how he does in 2007, and make the deal then. Who knows what the market will bear next offseason?

jenn2080
12-08-2006, 08:05 AM

I completely agree. I want him here pitching his ass off until he retires. Seeing Mark in any other uniform will be devistating. I say let him slide on the tarp again.

NardiWasHere
12-08-2006, 08:32 AM

Lip

This is typical JR humor.

But who wants to bet some writer is going to pick up this quote and try to make something out of it?

Heffalump
12-08-2006, 09:35 AM
I have to agree with many posters that Buehrle is my favorite current Sox and I hope that he spends his whole career here.

With that being said, and with the modern baseball marketplace, I highly doubt it is going to happen. Unfortunately, it does not appear that JR is going to open his pockets (depsite the huge increase in attendance last year). And I don't blame the players at all for going for all the $$$ they can get. I know that if I was making $50K a year and some company swept in and offered me $80K to do the same job, I would jump at it.......Loyalty to your employees/employer is a rare thing nowadays.....Its all about the bottom line in most cases (PK would be an exception.)

With all my pessimistic comments released, I sure hope I am wrong and that KW and JR really do have a master plan to push for the pennant in 2007 AND beyond.

Madvora
12-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Great point. That's something you forget about when constantly reading things in print. Who knows what's going on.

As for the Cardinals thing. I think there's a big double standard here. A lot of people make a big deal about hometown guys like Mackowiack and Granderson and Kirby Puckett. Would we really get pissed if Mackowiack got traded and wore a Sox hat during the winter, or followed his childhood team throughout the season?

ewokpelts
12-08-2006, 10:16 AM
I have to agree with many posters that Buehrle is my favorite current Sox and I hope that he spends his whole career here.

With that being said, and with the modern baseball marketplace, I highly doubt it is going to happen. Unfortunately, it does not appear that JR is going to open his pockets (depsite the huge increase in attendance last year). And I don't blame the players at all for going for all the $$$ they can get. I know that if I was making $50K a year and some company swept in and offered me $80K to do the same job, I would jump at it.......Loyalty to your employees/employer is a rare thing nowadays.....Its all about the bottom line in most cases (PK would be an exception.)

With all my pessimistic comments released, I sure hope I am wrong and that KW and JR really do have a master plan to push for the pennant in 2007 AND beyond.KOnerko only turned down Baltimore becuase they are a crap team. And why play on a crap team for $5 milion more. Anaheim offered the same ammount. Both Anaheim and Chicago train in Arizona(his year round home). It probably came down to the fact that he could earn more in endorsements here than in the overcrowded la/orange county market.

Ol' No. 2
12-08-2006, 10:22 AM
I think JR is poking fun at Buerhle. And I still believe they are negotiating an extension for Mark.Absolutely. This is a rerun of the same stuff we heard last year about how they weren't going to extend Garland and Contreras. Anybody remember how that worked out?

Buehrle is probably waiting until after Zito signs to get an idea of what he's worth. Then he'll decide. Fair enough. I'd probably do the same thing. No question he's going to have to give a hometown discount to stay because on the FA market he'd be getting at least 5/$75M and I don't see the Sox going that high. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. We'll see.

Norberto7
12-08-2006, 10:32 AM
It probably came down to the fact that he could earn more in endorsements here than in the overcrowded la/orange county market.

I remember reading this theory when Konerko was deliberating where to sign. Yet, I have never seen/heard Konerko endorse anything. Have I missed Paulie hawking wares, or is this a non-issue?

BeefyD
12-08-2006, 10:40 AM
KOnerko only turned down Baltimore becuase they are a crap team. And why play on a crap team for $5 milion more. Anaheim offered the same ammount. Both Anaheim and Chicago train in Arizona(his year round home). It probably came down to the fact that he could earn more in endorsements here than in the overcrowded la/orange county market.

Exactly. Let's not think Paulie is that generous to turn down more money to stay here. I think Anaheim was offering a couple mill more, which, between $50M and $52 mill, is not much. But the difference here is endorsements, and carte blanche in the city with god-like status.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-08-2006, 10:41 AM

With all my pessimistic comments released, I sure hope I am wrong and that KW and JR really do have a master plan to push for the pennant in 2007 AND beyond.

While I am not a huge fan of M&M on ESPN in the mornings, I heard something interesting that I think puts alot of perspective onto this spending spree:

Ted Lilly currently has the same deal as Johan Santana. If that doesn't show the recent disparity, I don't know what does.

That being said, it's weird how quickly owners have rewarded players for mediocrity. I truly hope that someone in management realizes that some clubs(Kansas City, Cubs) are artificially driving the prices up - causing everyone to knee jerk.

Ol' No. 2
12-08-2006, 10:42 AM
I remember reading this theory when Konerko was deliberating where to sign. Yet, I have never seen/heard Konerko endorse anything. Have I missed Paulie hawking wares, or is this a non-issue?It's a non-issue. Konerko was heavily influenced by the Thome acquisition and he also said (and why not take him at his word?) that he liked the team and wanted to come back.

spiffie
12-08-2006, 10:51 AM
After the year Buehrle had last season the last thing I would want to see the Sox do is to extend him for 3-4 more years at 10-12 million per year. Let's make sure that 2006 was an aberration before we go and commit like that to him. When a control pitcher begins getting knocked around, I want to see some proof that he can get that control back. Mark is a pitcher who has such a tiny margin of error since he cannot just blow someone away. Hopefully he'll get back into form next year, and if that means he costs more or is harder to sign...that's a chance I would take.

veeter
12-08-2006, 10:57 AM
When Buehrle signed his last contract he said, 'I'll fulfill this contract and hopefully, get another one when this one's over.' I feel he's the one pitcher the Sox want to lock up for sure. I think they want to keep Jon, but at this point he can bring the most in return. I don't agree with that because Gar is still young himself. KW is playing the game, if someone comes to me with a sweet package (for Jon) we'll really look at it. But they win either way. I feel his future rotation will look like this: Buehrle, Contreras, Broadway, McCarthy and Garland (or stud replacement from another org.) I feel KW knows exactly what he's doing and will keep the Sox on top.

MarySwiss
12-08-2006, 11:13 AM
That was my first thought, too. Just a jab at all the mediots who keep trotting out the "Buehrle wants to play for the Cardinals" junk.

SABRSox
12-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Absolutely. This is a rerun of the same stuff we heard last year about how they weren't going to extend Garland and Contreras. Anybody remember how that worked out?

Buehrle is probably waiting until after Zito signs to get an idea of what he's worth. Then he'll decide. Fair enough. I'd probably do the same thing. No question he's going to have to give a hometown discount to stay because on the FA market he'd be getting at least 5/$75M and I don't see the Sox going that high. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. We'll see.

I'm thinking that for the Sox, it's going to have to be 4 years, $55-$65mil to get it done. If Mark's not too greedy, that makes him the highest paid player on the team.

NoShoesJoe
12-08-2006, 11:46 AM

Where's Mack again? Hmm...

Corlose 15
12-08-2006, 12:34 PM

He was in Pittsburgh when he went to see the Sox in the World Series.

chisoxmike
12-08-2006, 01:52 PM
At some point if the Sox want to stay competitive anually they're going to have to start resigning their own talent. I mean come on this isn't Kansas City.

YES! EXACTLY! This is my problem. I thought after they won the Series, they would FINALLY start acting like a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FRANCHISE! Instead they want to dump payroll and build a team on trades so they don't have to pay their star players. YOU CAN'T KEEP DOING THAT. At some point you are going to have to pay your guys!!!!! This is really annoying. The fans showed up all year long for a third place team that was in contention until the final week,.

cheezheadsoxfan
12-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Ted Lilly currently has the same deal as Johan Santana. If that doesn't show the recent disparity, I don't know what does.

If I were Santana I would be in a state of high piss-off. This is just crazy!

oeo
12-08-2006, 01:58 PM
YES! EXACTLY! This is my problem. I thought after they won the Series, they would FINALLY start acting like a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FRANCHISE! Instead they want to dump payroll and build a team on trades so they don't have to pay their star players. YOU CAN'T KEEP DOING THAT. At some point you are going to have to pay your guys!!!!! This is really annoying. The fans showed up all year long for a third place team that was in contention until the final week,.

OMG...I'm going to use one of cualfield12's posts...

People are complaining we signed JD for a bargain-basement deal and should now give him $15 million for four years.

Did we not resign Conteras and Garland, and put together a deal to keep Vazquez through 2008?

Did we not trade away Lumsden and Chris Young to get more expensive veterans in MacDougal and Vazquez?

Did we not resign AJ long-term instead of giving the job to Chris Stewart?

Did we not resign Konerko...I forgot, he's on the Orioles or Angels now, isn't he?

Did we not add to the payroll with Jim Thome? Oh, yeah, we have Gload/Mackowiak as our DH now, don't we?

Did we not build the best bench depth in the majors with Cintron, Ozuna, Gload and Mackowiak? Name one better!

UGH!

BTW, the Sox have not made major changes. No one (besides mediots) has ever said they will not re-sign any of the pitchers. If you've listened to KW or JR at all, they say this crap all the time, and within a couple of weeks, they end up signing the guy. I think Buehrle will be re-signed. As for the other starters, the only guy I wouldn't mind having around after 2008 is Garland. We will also have a surplus of young pitching around that time, as well...you know why?

This is unbelievable how many people are having seizures over this one trade. OMG, the Sox want to watch us suffer for another 88 years. It was their plan all along, AAGGHHH!! That's it, I'm becoming a Cub fan, at least they spend money.

SABRSox
12-08-2006, 02:11 PM
If I were Santana I would be in a state of high piss-off. This is just crazy!

IIRC, Santana's situation was different. It was either the contract he got, or try arbitration year after year. If he got injured, he would have been screwed come arbitration time, so he took the guaranteed money.

I'm sure he's not sweating it. He's still a millionaire, and his big payday is yet to come.

The Immigrant
12-08-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm thinking that for the Sox, it's going to have to be 4 years, $55-$65mil to get it done. If Mark's not too greedy, that makes him the highest paid player on the team.

Chris Carpenter just signed for 5 years/$65 million coming off another stellar season with a 3.09 ERA. Mark is in a very different situation, coming off the worst statistical year of his career. My sense is that both parties have too much to lose by playing hardball in this negotiation and that a reasonable deal will be cut.

Besides, it's not like St. Louis has enough payroll flexibility to sign both Carpenter and Buehrle. :tongue:

Martinigirl
12-08-2006, 02:52 PM

Well the White Sox sought Mack out, he didn't choose to come to us via free agency out of a life long desire to play for the Sox, which is always the implication when people discuss Mark & the Cards.

maurice
12-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Then, we have [Mark] Buehrle, who is a free agent who walks around wearing a Cardinals hat. You have to think he's going to be tough to re-sign.

I agree with JR. He didn't say that he won't sign Buehrle. He didn't say that he can't sign Buehrle. He's just not counting on it, because the upsurge in the market for even crappy starters, the fact that Buehrle might want to play for the Cards, and the fact that the Cards probably will be willing and able to pay him big bucks combine to form the conclusion that Buehrle is going to be "tough to re-sign."

Even if re-signing Buehrle is Plan A, it would be completely irresponsible to have no Plan B. Options are a good thing. If Buehrle wants to re-sign here, the presence of Plan B gives the Sox some leverage to make sure the deal is reasonable. If one or more starters get injured or suck tremendously, we'll need Plan B even after exercsing Plan A.

MRM
12-09-2006, 05:13 PM

Not going to happen. The Sox have a long standing refusal to sign starting pitchers for more than 3 year contracts. A very smart plan they aren't going to stray from for MB or anyone else.

One of the reasons the Yankees payroll is so ridiculous is they keep making that mistake on guys like Kevin Brown and Carl Pavano and have to eat all those $$$ on the back end when the guy hits the wall or gets hurt. If that happened to the Sox it would cripple them.

Starting pitchers are too risky to invest long term contracts on. Some people never learn that lesson even after it bites them.

soxwon
12-09-2006, 07:12 PM
I just think that is the owner putting some pressure on Buehrle to re-sign for a normal market value. He says this to make the fans realize he would like to re-sign Buehrle, but it's Buehrle that won't re-sign... it's a good strategic move!

Didn't KW do that with Konerko when he was a FA?

im having my doubts on buehrle- i have a feeling he wont be too good.
but ya never know- he may win the CY- if he's not winning at all stars
trade him.

JUribe1989
12-09-2006, 07:22 PM
I said a month ago that I didn't think the Sox would be able to re-sign Buehrle, and this seems to help support my theory.

MRM
12-09-2006, 07:31 PM
im having my doubts on buehrle- i have a feeling he wont be too good.
but ya never know- he may win the CY- if he's not winning at all stars
trade him.

There is nothing wrong with MB. He just wasn't getting the calls on the corners like he used to. For a finess guy like he is, you need those calls in order to make his change up effective. Are the Sox going to have Questec in the cell again this year? I know the original plan was for it to rotate cities. Get that piece of junk out of there and you'll fix most of what ails Mark.

MRM
12-09-2006, 07:50 PM
I said a month ago that I didn't think the Sox would be able to re-sign Buehrle, and this seems to help support my theory.

Under normal situations this would be the perfect time to extend Mark after having a down year last year giving the Sox *some* leverage. But with the crazy money being thrown at below average starters this year, that goes out the window. What would Santana be worth if he were on the open market this year? $35mil/yr?

soxinem1
12-10-2006, 08:42 AM
As much as I like Buehrle myself, I am not too enthused about the idea of him getting any type of extension at the present, unless it was cheap.

I've seen a lot of posts talking about his off year in 2006 and how he will bounce back, and he's a no-brainer to resign, but do any of you recall that he had NOTHING stuff-wise the last three months of the season? He was pounded almost every time out since right before the ASB.

You can blame it on what you want, but blaming three additional post-season starts (and a couple pitches in relief) from a guy known for low pitch counts leads me to believe that there is more to the story.

He is either hurt or has lost confidence, as I doubt that the league 'figured him out'. Rolling curves, hanging changes, and 84 MPH fastballs down the middle mean you will get punded. His control was not good, and his alarming drop in K's has me concerned.

And he looked heavy all of 2006. So to even discuss any extensions until these issues have been cleared up, I'll take the chance on losing him before I dump $40-50 million on any long-term committments for Buehrle. I doubt they could keep him for that anyway. And where is the wisdom in saying: "Mark, you had your worst season ever. Your HR, BB/9 and K/9 innings, hits, SLG, BA allowed and ERA were brutal. Here's a $75 million extension".

If he bounces back, great, but he needs to show something first.

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-10-2006, 09:32 AM
I'd rather see him next to 24
Can't forget about ol' number 14. Cheers.:cheers:

NewYawk718
12-10-2006, 09:51 AM
I know this guy got lit up during the 2nd half but would you guys make this deal?

Jon Garland, and yes Jermaine Dye for Matt Kemp, Brad Penny and i guess the injured Yhency Brazoban .

?

the rotation would then be 1. contreras 2. buerhle 3. vazquez 4. Penny
5. mccarthy
line-up

would be

1.Pods
2.Iguchi
3. Thome
4. Konerko
5. A.J.
6. Crede
7. Kemp
8. Uribe
9. Anderson

jabrch
12-10-2006, 10:13 AM
I know this guy got lit up during the 2nd half but would you guys make this deal?

Jon Garland, and yes Jermaine Dye for Matt Kemp, Brad Penny and i guess the injured Yhency Brazoban .

I doubt it. Penny doesn't seem like Williams type of guy. He likes guys who are more durable. I'd imagine he'd pass on that. Now the Dodgers do have some very good, very young arms in the system that KW might want - but you'd have to look at the top of your system, not the middle.