PDA

View Full Version : Gil Meche to the Royals

Flight #24
12-07-2006, 11:32 AM
ESPN is reporting the Royals have signed Meche. Initial report was 4/$45M, but a 5th year is now being rumored.

To which I say - Dammit Kenny, wouldn't the Blue Jays now be desperate enough for a pitcher to give a ton for Freddy?:angry: :angry:

palehozenychicty
12-07-2006, 11:52 AM
ESPN is reporting the Royals have signed Meche. Initial report was 4/$45M, but a 5th year is now being rumored.

To which I say - Dammit Kenny, wouldn't the Blue Jays now be desperate enough for a pitcher to give a ton for Freddy?:angry: :angry:

True, but I doubt that Garcia alone would net Wells, and KW probably couldn't get Wells to agree on an extension. But Meche to the Royals?! Wow.
Who called that one?!

oeo
12-07-2006, 11:52 AM

It doesn't sound like he's done dismantling the rotation, so you may have your wish (except it won't be Freddy).

Flight #24
12-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Latest report - 5-years, $55-60M. Or for those counting, $11-12M/yr for GIL MECHE!!!!

I suppose from that standpoint, Gavin Floyd's probably worth what? $5M/yr?

Still think Kenny could have held out for more........

UserNameBlank
12-07-2006, 12:40 PM
True, but I doubt that Garcia alone would net Wells, and KW probably couldn't get Wells to agree on an extension. But Meche to the Royals?! Wow.
Who called that one?!

I think anyone could have predicted that before the offseason started, just not at that insane price.

munchman33
12-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Latest report - 5-years, $55-60M. Or for those counting, $11-12M/yr for GIL MECHE!!!!

I suppose from that standpoint, Gavin Floyd's probably worth what? $5M/yr?

Still think Kenny could have held out for more........

Floyd has way more upside than Meche does.

cws05champ
12-07-2006, 01:10 PM
It's nice to see a pitcher giving a team a discount because they are in the hunt for a championship, instead of going there just for the money!!

Foulke You
12-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Just what our division needs. Another quality arm. I'd have preferred the Cubs gotten him to this.:(:

FloridaSox
12-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Baseball Prospectus had a good quote about the KC signing of Meche. “This is like a family on welfare buying a plasma TV that doesn’t work”

buehrle4cy05
12-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Baseball Prospectus had a good quote about the Meche trade. “This is like a family on welfare buying a plasma TV that doesn’t work”

I guess BP is good for something. :rolling:

DumpJerry
12-07-2006, 05:18 PM
After the '06 season ended, I figured that the Indians would be the weak team in the AL Central. After changing GMs in mid-season, the Royals became a force to reckon with. They started beating up all the good teams. They swept the Tigers to end the season.

I said it before and I'll say it again: the AL Central in '07 will be brutal. There will be two teams with 100+ wins on October 1, 2007. The media will call the AL East and AL West The Sacrificial Lambs as they get mowed over by the Tigers, Twins, Sox and Royals.

It's gonna be a fun summer!

veeter
12-07-2006, 05:49 PM
The media claimed the cubs "beat" the Yankees in landing Lilly. I wonder if the papers will concede a "defeat" for them in losing Meche to the Royals. Somehow I don't think It'll be mentioned.

Britt Burns
12-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Wow, what a stupid move. Meche becomes their <giggle> #1 starter, with all the pressure and expectations that come along with that. Note to KC: minnesota is a small market team who does well on a shoestring budget, and you can bet the D-Rays are going to soon with their wealth of prospects.

caulfield12
12-07-2006, 08:19 PM
The Royals have lots of options in their rotation, I guess, not unlike the White Sox after their #4.

You have to take into account that is a investment in renewing the faith of the fanbase that Glass will try to win in this division.

Here's how the Royals rotation should look in 2007/2008

Luke Hochevar
Zach Greinke
Gil Meche
Odalis Perez (Dodgers are paying all of his contract, making Meche look better from a financial standpoint)
Brian Bannister

That's not bad at all, if Greinke lives up to his potential.

Then you have Jorge DeLa Rosa, Brandon Duckworth, Jimmy Gobble, Scott Elarton (rehabbing), Jimmy Gobble, Luke Hudson (beat the Sox), and Todd Wellemeyer.

In fact, Wellemeyer looked really good and was consistently throwing in the mid 90's in the second half. Jimmy Gobble could be a sleeper and develop late.

Hudson, Elarton and DeLaRosa will undoubtedly compete for the spot that will be eventually taken by Hochevar.

And the Royals will have PLENTY of hitting.

SoxyStu
12-07-2006, 08:22 PM
The Royals have lots of options in their rotation, I guess, not unlike the White Sox after their #4.

You have to take into account that is a investment in renewing the faith of the fanbase that Glass will try to win in this division.

Here's how the Royals rotation should look in 2007/2008

Luke Hochevar
Zach Greinke
Gil Meche
Odalis Perez (Dodgers are paying all of his contract, making Meche look better from a financial standpoint)
Brian Bannister

That's not bad at all, if Greinke lives up to his potential.

Then you have Jorge DeLa Rosa, Brandon Duckworth, Jimmy Gobble, Scott Elarton (rehabbing), Jimmy Gobble, Luke Hudson (beat the Sox), and Todd Wellemeyer.

In fact, Wellemeyer looked really good and was consistently throwing in the mid 90's in the second half. Jimmy Gobble could be a sleeper and develop late.

Hudson, Elarton and DeLaRosa will undoubtedly compete for the spot that will be eventually taken by Hochevar.

And the Royals will have PLENTY of hitting.

Sounds like they have their closer, too...in Dotel.

caulfield12
12-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Sounds like they have their closer, too...in Dotel.

I think they gave up on Burgos a little early...spending $5-10 million for Dotel makes no sense for the Royals when someone like Joe Nelson can be relatively effective at almost no cost.

The closer position is even more insane to pay $10 million for than a starter. I shoujld say, "average" closer who's not in the Top 5-7 (Rivera, Nathan, Gagne, Hoffman, Jenks, Papelbon, etc.)

However, the Royals and Indians have blown so many games in the last 2-3 years, they needed to do something to stabilize the back of their pen with a "veteran" presence. But why Dotel is >>> Jose Mesa/Benitez or someone similar, I have no idea.

Most posters here were unimpressed with Dotel this fall in NYC.

StillMissOzzie
12-08-2006, 01:58 AM

So do they have TWO Jimmy Gobbles, or will one of them pitch twice as often?

SMO
:tongue:

caulfield12
12-08-2006, 09:24 AM
So do they have TWO Jimmy Gobbles, or will one of them pitch twice as often?

SMO
:tongue:

Yes, one is a reliever and the other a starting candidate.

LOL.

Seriously, the kid throws the ball just as well as Buehrle at times, just not consistently. They rushed him to the bigs, and he wasn't ready, not unlike Garland. Mysteriously, they stayed with R. Hernandez and moved Gobble back and forth between the rotation, bullpen and minors.

At one point, the Royals turned down a Kevin Mench for Gobble deal even.

spawn
12-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Interesting...

Gil Meche signs a 5 year, 55 million dollar contract.

Ted Lilly signs a 4 year, 40 million dolalr contract.

Last year, Johan Santana signed a 4 year, 40 million dollar contract.

So, according to the Cubs and Royals, Lilly and Meche are equal or worth more than Santana?

Stupid, stupid people.

lumpyspun
12-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Do the Royals realize this dude has 55 career wins? That is $1 million for each ****ing win!

caulfield12
12-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Do the Royals realize this dude has 55 career wins? That is $1 million for each ****ing win!

Dayton Moore said on the radio last night, "the market is what it is..." This comes from one of Schuerholz's former lieutenants.

By the way, Runelvys Hernandez is available to ANYONE who wants him for free, lol. He did beat our Sox last year, along with Hudson and Adam Bernero.

Steelrod
12-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Kenny was ahead of the market two years ago. I believe he is prudently adjusting to the current market, not getting caught up in this feeding frenzy. Look for him to pick up this years "gems" in a year or two, with the other club funding part of the load. Hopefully history does repeat itself!

caulfield12
12-10-2006, 03:10 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16204558.htm

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/16190469.htm

The second one is a very interesting read and well done.