PDA

View Full Version : Rosenbloom's blog

Lip Man 1
12-07-2006, 11:01 AM
A portion of Steve Rosenbloom's blog at Tribune.com:

"Sox general manager Kenny Williams says a $100 million payroll doesn’t go as far as it used to. Guess what, neither does Sox fans’ trust. Or money. Sox management told fans that it would spend money if they filled the place. They filled the place last year for a third-place team, and now the team with the greatest abundance of the most precious element of the game--pitching--is vowing to trade its entire rotation (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061206rogers,1,4693621.column) rather than give contract extensions to the group that carried the franchise to its first World Series in 88 years. Who do the Sox think they’re trying to sell this to? Cubs fans?"

LOL

Lip

ShoelessJoeS
12-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Meh. Let people whine and complain. Kenny knows what he's doing.

Iwritecode
12-07-2006, 11:13 AM
vowing to trade its entire rotation (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061206rogers,1,4693621.column) rather than give contract extensions to the group that carried the franchise to its first World Series in 88 years.

Rosenbloom is as big an idiot as all the other writers making this claim. Not one of them can come up with a quote from KW saying he's going to get rid of his entire starting rotation. The most he's been quoted as saying is "we're going to have to go a different route".

Hitmen77
12-07-2006, 11:34 AM
....so one Tribune hack bases his comments on another Tribune hack's article that totally extrapolates KW's comments into the idea that the Sox are definitely dumping their entire rotation.

LOL, indeed.

Iwritecode
12-07-2006, 11:36 AM
....so one Tribune hack bases his comments on another Tribune hack's article that totally extrapolates KW's comments into the idea that the Sox are definitely dumping their entire rotation.

LOL, indeed.

That's pretty much it. Neither of them even include the actual quote from KW.

Cowley did though...

Lip Man 1
12-07-2006, 11:36 AM
I write:

Maybe, maybe not. It is interesting to note though that as of now, three of the mainstream writers have basically inferred the same thing from the quote and from the franchise's action's this past week.

I wasn't there when Kenny said what he did, so I can't say what his vocal inflections were or how his face looked when he said it.

We'll see.

Lip

fquaye149
12-07-2006, 11:42 AM
I write:

Maybe, maybe not. It is interesting to note though that as of now, three of the mainstream writers have basically inferred the same thing from the quote and from the franchise's action's this past week.

I wasn't there when Kenny said what he did, so I can't say what his vocal inflections were or how his face looked when he said it.

We'll see.

Lip

So what is it? Reinsdorf can't decide if he wants to be cheap or generous?

Or was it that one year of being generous with the White Sox dollars just tore him up inside too much

"I...I can't do it! It's just not me"

Kenny is playing his own version of moneyball. In my opinion, the SMART version of moneyball...not that stathead bull****...he's doing what he can to maximize his value.

Do people really disagree with his assertion that it's better to build starting pitching from within rather than go spend big bucks on ****ing Ted Lilly?

Goodness

infohawk
12-07-2006, 11:45 AM

"Sox general manager Kenny Williams says a $100 million payroll doesn’t go as far as it used to. Guess what, neither does Sox fans’ trust. Or money. Sox management told fans that it would spend money if they filled the place. They filled the place last year for a third-place team, and now the team with the greatest abundance of the most precious element of the game--pitching--is vowing to trade its entire rotation (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061206rogers,1,4693621.column) rather than give contract extensions to the group that carried the franchise to its first World Series in 88 years. Who do the Sox think they’re trying to sell this to? Cubs fans?"

LOL

Lip
Rosenbloom's just being hysterical. He needs to get a grip. He's already got the entire starting rotation heading out of town. It's not necessarily going to happen, and who knows what KW would get in return anyway. Just because some people don't like the return he got for Garcia doesn't mean that potential deals for his other starters are guaranteed to be bad.
People need to stop looking at one trade and projecting outward from there.

In reality, why would a team give up the farm for a pitcher in the last year of his deal? We didn't give up anyone of consequence for Bartolo Colon, who was in the last year of his deal. It's hard to argue that Omar Minaya is a poor GM. In retrospect, we didn't really give up anyone of consequence to get Freddy to begin with. Wasn't he in the last year or two of his deal then? We gave up Olivo and Reed. If another player was included, I sure don't remember his name.

Domeshot17
12-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Im totally fine with building starting pitching from within

However,

We better start doing it, because we have been very poory at producing major league stars (hell even major league players) from our minor leagues.

Iwritecode
12-07-2006, 11:46 AM
I write:

We'll see.

Lip

To me, it's just KW doing what he does best. He speaks in such a way that nobody ever really has a clue what his actual plans are.

The Immigrant
12-07-2006, 11:49 AM

However,

We better start doing it, because we have been very poory at producing major league stars (hell even major league players) from our minor leagues.

You mean other than Buehrle, Garland and McCarthy, or do those guys not count?

fquaye149
12-07-2006, 11:51 AM

However,

Well...that's been changing. A lot of the problem lied with

a.) draft picks that were keyed for minor league success but not major league success (felix diaz and the like)

b.) devastating injuries to some of our top prospects (honel, rauch, wright)

The draft picks are starting to pan out, yielding either value in personnel, or value in trades...

Another thing that helps is Kenny stocking the system with players acquired in trades...players, you know, like the ones we just got...players who either become mlb talent (jenks, thornton) or trade fodder....

VASoxfan1
12-07-2006, 12:10 PM
I could be wrong but I thought Kenny was saying that you can't let these guys hit the market because then they're value increases at a ridiculous rate. And his new idea is to build from within where you can keep these guys at a much cheaper rate. Starting pitching was like half the teams budget last year. At taht rate your not going to have anyone to play behind them.

PaulDrake
12-07-2006, 12:24 PM
So what is it? Reinsdorf can't decide if he wants to be cheap or generous?

Or was it that one year of being generous with the White Sox dollars just tore him up inside too much

"I...I can't do it! It's just not me"

Kenny is playing his own version of moneyball. In my opinion, the SMART version of moneyball...not that stathead bull****...he's doing what he can to maximize his value.

Do people really disagree with his assertion that it's better to build starting pitching from within rather than go spend big bucks on ****ing Ted Lilly?

Goodness That's all fine and dandy but what if the pitchers he acquired from the Phillies are both stiffs? As of right now, I'm totally underwhelmed.

fquaye149
12-07-2006, 12:29 PM
That's all fine and dandy but what if the pitchers he acquired from the Phillies are both stiffs? As of right now, I'm totally underwhelmed.

That's no more likely than that any mlb ready talent we got on the open market would have a ****ty year this year.

Like I've said time and time again I have no, absolutely no, confidence that middle relief success carries over one year to the next.

Obviously I don't believe this is an absolute thing, and on a case by case basis I think some middle relievers are relatively safe investments, but I doubt that any of them were available for Freddy.

Ol' No. 2
12-07-2006, 12:32 PM

LOL

LipRosenbloom should go back to writing about poker.

oeo
12-07-2006, 12:35 PM
That's all fine and dandy but what if the pitchers he acquired from the Phillies are both stiffs? As of right now, I'm totally underwhelmed.

What if they're not? Kenny knows more than you do, or I do, or anyone here; let him do his damn job.

UserNameBlank
12-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Meh. Let people whine and complain. Kenny knows what he's doing.

Exactly. The Score windbags think the Sox have no commitment to winning now. Strange, because I swear I haven't heard anything about Garland, Contreras, Buehrle, Javy, JD, Thome, PK, AJ, Iguchi, and Crede all being for sale.

Methinks people are overreacting to what could be the offseason that sets the Sox up to compete with the Royals, Indians, and Detroit for the next five years or so.

fquaye149
12-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Exactly. The Score windbags think the Sox have no commitment to winning now. Strange, because I swear I haven't heard anything about Garland, Contreras, Buehrle, Javy, JD, Thome, PK, AJ, Iguchi, and Crede all being for sale.

Methinks people are overreacting to what could be the offseason that sets the Sox up to compete with the Royals, Indians, and Detroit for the next five years or so.
:?:

CLR01
12-07-2006, 12:41 PM
The Score windbags think the Sox have no commitment to winning now.

It's Murphy. He's clueless about most things.

UserNameBlank
12-07-2006, 12:47 PM
:?:

Sure they are a joke now, but just wait. That new GM knows what he is doing and the Royals have some great looking prospects. They could really be tough in a couple years. As it is, the Sox already have enough trouble beating them.

russ99
12-07-2006, 01:04 PM
To me, it's just KW doing what he does best. He speaks in such a way that nobody ever really has a clue what his actual plans are.

Maybe we should ignore these local media pundits who are obviously stirring the pot, and wait until Spring Training or Opening Day to pass final judgement on what Kenny's doing. It may shake out a whole lot differently by then.

On the other hand, if the Sox don't fix their glaring weaknesses by then with this wheeling and dealing, I doubt I'll be the only irate Sox fan.

fquaye149
12-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Sure they are a joke now, but just wait. That new GM knows what he is doing and the Royals have some great looking prospects. They could really be tough in a couple years. As it is, the Sox already have enough trouble beating them.

i'm a little more worried about the Twins, whom you failed to mention

UserNameBlank
12-07-2006, 01:28 PM
i'm a little more worried about the Twins, whom you failed to mention

Yeah, the Twins will always be there. I just didn't mention them because for some reason they are the only team I know of capable of fielding what looks to be a AAAA lineup with a couple of superstars and a lights out bullpen, and still winning a division. I really don't think it matters who they have coming up, because from the looks of things they will always contend, or at least continue to be a major pain in the ass.

AuroraSoxFan
12-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Personally, I think KW could have gotten quite a bit more for Freddy based on the high demand for starting pitcher's at the moment.

But the writer makes it sound like he's giving away the house. Even after the trade we still have a full 5 man starting rotation along with some solid prospects that seem to be on the rise.

I'm not as anti-trib as most are on this site. But this column was garbage.

soxtalker
12-07-2006, 01:44 PM

North was making the argument that if KW didn't spend that money he saved right now, JR was just pocketing the money in lieu of wanting to win. I don't buy it. It sounds like JR has given KW the authority to spend to some level just above $100MM. If he doesn't spend it during the off season, that simply gives KW more flexibility during the season.

Ol' No. 2
12-07-2006, 01:58 PM
North was making the argument that if KW didn't spend that money he saved right now, JR was just pocketing the money in lieu of wanting to win. I don't buy it. It sounds like JR has given KW the authority to spend to some level just above $100MM. If he doesn't spend it during the off season, that simply gives KW more flexibility during the season.The next intelligent thing Mike North says will be the first.

guillen4life13
12-07-2006, 02:09 PM
I think that the Sox are trying to move into the Twins model for success, but with a higher payroll.

I want to see how this works out. The Twins seem to always just have a replacement for any star they lose, and said replacement always seems to tear it up. And their payroll is still one of the lower in the league, right?

I really hope this works out. I really do.

RowanDye
12-07-2006, 02:55 PM

LOL

Lip

Rosenbloom is a walking, spitting contradiction. Somehow he has myopia and hyperopia at the same time!
The fans did fill the seats, but the team got third place largely because the starting 5 underperformed!
Now Kenny is trying to fix the rotation problems, and people like Rosenbloom are going crazy because he is messing with "the group that carried the franchise to its first World Series in 88 years".
The '05 World Series Championship was one of the greatest things in the history of the White Sox, but rewarding players that had a good year 2 years ago is just ridiculous!

miker
12-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Steve Rosenbloom's trying to say something negative about the White Sox?

Soxfest
12-07-2006, 03:37 PM
The Sox KC Royal style of business is getting old.........spend the dam money attendance was awesome!:angry:

fquaye149
12-07-2006, 04:30 PM
The Sox KC Royal style of business is getting old.........spend the dam money attendance was awesome!:angry:

insightful analysis. yes, the sox acting like the royals in offseason transactions is totally getting old

this post is doubly annoying since it made me have to break my anti-teal vow

ondafarm
12-07-2006, 04:59 PM
. . .Maybe, maybe not. It is interesting to note though that as of now, three of the mainstream writers have basically inferred the same thing from the quote and from the franchise's action's this past week. . .

Present company notwithstanding, this pretty much confirms my opinion of the current crop of mainstream sportswriters.