PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia reaction to the trade

Fenway
12-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Philadelphia Inquirer
Ace in the hole: Phils trade for Freddy Garcia (http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/16181228.htm)
In a move that strengthens their starting pitching rotation and could ultimately improve their bullpen, the Phillies acquired righthander Freddy Garcia from the Chicago White Sox last night for pitching prospects Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez.

Philadelphia Daily News
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - At a winter meetings during which trades had been scarce and quality starting pitching was supposed to be nearly impossible to find, the Phillies pulled a 17-game winner out of their bright red hats last night.
Righthander Freddy Garcia, a star of the 2005 postseason for the White Sox, was acquired late last night from Chicago for former Phillies No. 1 draft choice Gavin Floyd and a player to be named.
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/16182836.htm

likeawarlord
12-07-2006, 08:44 AM
www.philliesphans.com (http://www.philliesphans.com) is less than happy about it, though. the barf icon was used liberaly.

caulfield12
12-07-2006, 08:50 AM
"When all was said and done, the best baseball deal we could make was with the Phillies," Williams said.

The White Sox had serious interest in bringing back Rowand, and he was mentioned in talks. In the end, the Sox decided to seek young pitching and take their chances signing Rowand as a free agent next winter.

that's the most interesting note from the article...

Baseball fans are not dumb...they know that this is not the same Freddy Garcia of old. Williams can say he might be a 17-20 game winner (in the AL), but, if he really believed that, he wouldn't have traded him so easily.

WhiteSox5187
12-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Heh.

That one Philly article says "the Sox will take their chances trying to resign Rowand as a free agent next year." :o:

Again, I love Aaron, love him, but I mean, no. If you are going to go out and sign a free agent OF next year (or this year) it should be a top of the line fielder, like Vernon Wells. Not some middle of the road OF like Aaron. Aaron is great defensively, but Anderson is good too. We don't need a .260 hitter to back up or replace a .230 hitter. Get me a .300 hitter!!

MUsoxfan
12-07-2006, 09:33 AM
If you are going to go out and sign a free agent OF next year (or this year) it should be a top of the line fielder, like Vernon Wells.

He'll get Soriano-like money

Mickster
12-07-2006, 09:35 AM

Greater than Soriano-like money.

fquaye149
12-07-2006, 09:36 AM

I don't know if the hype machines there. He would have to have a monster year to get soriano type money. Which is crazy b/c he's 10 times the player Soriano is.

I think he'll get like 75-80% of what Soriano's getting (consider also that next year there will be a huge influx of FA OF's) depending on how many years in the contract

kevingrt
12-07-2006, 09:41 AM
"When all was said and done, the best baseball deal we could make was with the Phillies," Williams said.

The White Sox had serious interest in bringing back Rowand, and he was mentioned in talks. In the end, the Sox decided to seek young pitching and take their chances signing Rowand as a free agent next winter.

that's the most interesting note from the article...

Baseball fans are not dumb...they know that this is not the same Freddy Garcia of old. Williams can say he might be a 17-20 game winner (in the AL), but, if he really believed that, he wouldn't have traded him so easily.

Still a 10 game winner in the AL Central could translate into a 15 game winner in the NL Central on the right team, and I think the Phillies are the right team for Freddy. I think he will succeed in the near future with the Phillies.

itsnotrequired
12-07-2006, 09:43 AM
I think he'll get like 75-80% of what Soriano's getting (consider also that next year there will be a huge influx of FA OF's) depending on how many years in the contract

What this guy said. Soriano could demand the world since the choice for outfielders this year sucked. Next year, Wells will need to compete with Dye, Iguchi, Dunn, etc. for that big contract. Still, Wells will get some big money, no doubt about that.

Malgar 12
12-07-2006, 11:40 AM
What this guy said. Soriano could demand the world since the choice for outfielders this year sucked. Next year, Wells will need to compete with Dye, Iguchi, Dunn, etc. for that big contract. Still, Wells will get some big money, no doubt about that.

Iguchi in the OF?:?:

fquaye149
12-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Iguchi in the OF?:?:

pretty sure he meant ichiro

SABRSox
12-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Ichiro is the true prize of next season's FA market. Wells will be an astronomical contract. Ichiro will be a bargain compared to it.

MrX
12-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Wells agent has said the starting price will be around 20 million a year.

Palehose13
12-07-2006, 01:21 PM
We don't need a .260 hitter to back up or replace a .230 hitter. Get me a .300 hitter!!

Not to split hairs, but Aaron is a career .279 hitter and will command a lot less money than V. Wells. I would love to get Vernon Wells, but it may not be financially feasible for the Sox.

fquaye149
12-07-2006, 01:43 PM

That seems pretty unlikely.

But what do I know. Time will tell.

SoxFan64
12-07-2006, 02:01 PM
www.philliesphans.com (http://www.philliesphans.com) is less than happy about it, though. the barf icon was used liberaly.

Yes, those wise Philly fans. These are the same folks who have booed Santa Claus at an Eagles game and booed the selection of McNabb in the football draft because all those wise Philly fans just knew, just knew that Ricky "Smoke Gets in My Eyes" Williams was the clear choice.

Boy, I am sure going to listen to those wise fans; they obviously know something. :redneck

slavko
12-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Yes, those wise Philly fans. These are the same folks who have booed Santa Claus at an Eagles game and booed the selection of McNabb in the football draft because all those wise Philly fans just knew, just knew that Ricky "Smoke Gets in My Eyes" Williams was the clear choice.

Boy, I am sure going to listen to those wise fans; they obviously know something. :redneck

Just to give this thing balance, one lovely fall afternoon at a Bears game, the McCaskey family went to no expense to bring the crowd a halftime show of dogs chasing tossed frisbees. One pooch was having the hardest time catching them and the crowd booed him mercilessly. So we can be cruel too.:smile:

INSox56
12-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Just to give this thing balance, one lovely fall afternoon at a Bears game, the McCaskey family went to no expense to bring the crowd a halftime show of dogs chasing tossed frisbees. One pooch was having the hardest time catching them and the crowd booed him mercilessly. So we can be cruel too.:smile:

OT, but you should be beaten mercilessly for your sig...

infohawk
12-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Interesting. The Phillies fans seem just as disappointed as many folks over here. I think we might be a little guilty of overvaluing Garcia. He's a good, not great pitcher with one year left on his contract. He's likely a one-year rental for the Phillies. His 17 wins were aided by tremendous run support. Don't get me wrong, I like Freddy Garcia. He's not really a top-tier pitcher though. He is above average and durable. That's his value. For all we know, he may have completely lost the ability to run his fastball up to the plate above 90 mph on a consistent basis. Maybe that's why he developed the splitter.

Fenway
12-07-2006, 03:08 PM

I think Billy Sullivan had the same show in Foxboro :tongue:

One Monday night game at the old Schaefer Stadium the Patriots hired Jumpin' Joe Gerlach to jump out of a balloon onto a small mat. He missed and was booed as he was taken off the field on a stretcher.

likeawarlord
12-07-2006, 03:15 PM

well, i won't go so far as to say that their anguish encouraged me to feel better about the trade, but it did feel pretty good to know that i'm not alone in my distress.

besides, phillies fans are just PASSIONATE. ask j.d. drew about the passion with which they throw batteries.

Dan the Man
12-07-2006, 05:02 PM

Sounds like a Yankee to me.