PDA

View Full Version : Gio's Back!

rdivaldi
12-06-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm smiling from ear to ear guys. I love the way that kid pitches...

Domeshot17
12-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Well that is the important thing. It might totally put a dent in this whole winning thing we have going on lately, as long as our AA team is ship shape and has a chance to send 1 guy to our pro roster

rdivaldi
12-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Well that is the important thing. It might totally put a dent in this whole winning thing we have going on lately, as long as our AA team is ship shape and has a chance to send 1 guy to our pro roster

Good post...............:dtroll:

voodoochile
12-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Funny ****...

I forgot how much you like this guy. I remember on the troll boards you repping Gio as a can't miss prospect. Hope you are right long term, rd...

rdivaldi
12-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Funny ****...

I forgot how much you like this guy. I remember on the troll boards you repping Gio as a can't miss prospect. Hope you are right long term, rd...

Heh, heh that sounds about right. Besides Rauch and BMac, Gio is probably my favorite pitching prospect of the past 10 years. IMO he instantly shoots to #2 on our prospect list behind Sweeney.

Tekijawa
12-07-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm on board... I'm a FOGG...

California Sox
12-07-2006, 07:57 AM
rdvaldi, I remember you as also being a Chris Young guy. What do you make of the total combo of losing Young and getting back Gio and Gavin Floyd. I HATE the Floyd acquisition. 24 year-old failed pitching prospects have a way of remaining failed pitching prospects. From my perch, this one is a real head scratcher.

rdivaldi
12-07-2006, 09:03 AM
rdvaldi, I remember you as also being a Chris Young guy. What do you make of the total combo of losing Young and getting back Gio and Gavin Floyd. I HATE the Floyd acquisition. 24 year-old failed pitching prospects have a way of remaining failed pitching prospects. From my perch, this one is a real head scratcher.

I loooove Chris Young and was very sad to see him go.

As for the trade, I'm lukewarm with it. Floyd has a lot of talent, sometimes it only takes a change of scenery to turn it around (see Matt Thornton). True, I doubt he'll ever be much more than a #4/#5 starter, but he still could be productive. As for Gio, I'm crazy about this kids makeup. He's got a nice live arm, probably the best curveball in the minors, and he's got moxy. For a 20 year old, he held his own in AA and from what I've heard was very good in the Arizona Fall League. Like I said, besides Rauch and McCarthy he's the best pitching prospect come through our system in awhile.

I think I we probably could have been able to squeeze a little more out for Garcia. But we all know KW, when he identifies a player he wants he pulls the trigger even when the price might be a little too high.

Domeshot17
12-07-2006, 10:41 AM
yah... Im 1200 posts of troll. Scouted that one well.

All Im saying is with this trade, and the one that fell apart with houston, Im not a fan of stacking up the minors by depleting the majors.

Britt Burns
12-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Although I have learned to trust KW's judgement, this one has me a little skeptical. I don't see Floyd turnng into anything special...as mentioned above, maybe a #4 or #5 guy, or a middle reliever. I do think Gio is the real deal and am excited to see him back with the Sox.

Perhaps the best case outcome from this trade (assuming Floyd and Gio aren't flipped again) is that Gio spends half of 2007 in AAA, then becomes a LOOGY-type guy for the rest of the season. He moves into the rotation in '08 and essentially replaces Garcia one year later at a much reduced cost.

As for Floyd, anyhting we can get out of him would be a bonus. I just don't see him being anything that Haeger/McCarthy/etc. aren't already. Hope I am wrong.

southwstchi4life
12-07-2006, 11:08 AM
About Gio, I don't know much about him. Can anybody inform me about what type of stuff he has? is he still a few yrs away in your opinion?

Domeshot17
12-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Quick rundown, Gio Has a good fastball, sharp Curve, he is a real deal prospect. He probably would have been drafted much higher then we got him, but he was kicked off his high school team as a senior, which made him drop off a ton due to (1) his actions and (2) No one could see him pitch his senior year. He is probably a top 25-40 pitchinig prospect in baseball. The biggest knock on him is his frame and stature. He is small, which makes you wonder about his durability as a starter. Often has been said he could end up a lefty reliever along the lines of an Arthur Rhodes. His cieling is high, but there is a major gap between how good he can be and his floor. He struggled in double A last year, giving up a high amount of walks and home runs. With a good year he could have a shot to replace Buehlre in 08, but he probably wont be ready until 2009 (which is not too bad, considering he is only 21 right now). As a starter he would probably be looking at an 09 arrival, as a reliever maybe 2008. Think Cotts but with enough stuff and command of his pitches to potentially be a starter.

UserNameBlank
12-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Just wondering, but does anyone have like a video clip of him pitching in a minor league game or anything? The only thing I could find was this video clip from youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yvHCsuub4M

It doesn't show much at all. It only shows Gio warming up and throwing one pitch (a fastball). Anyone have anything better?

Edit: There is also a shot of Mike Pelfrey in that too, as the AFL game this was taken from was Gio vs. Pelfrey. Could these two guys be in the Sox '08 rotation together?

maurice
12-07-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm also very happy to have Gio back in the Sox org. The big question was whether he can be durable enough to start in MLB. OTOH, even if he's restricted to relief, he should be a valuable major-leaguer within the next couple of years. Who knows, maybe he'll win a BP spot in '07?
:gulp:

Randar68
12-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Great to have Gio back. I'm not sure I agree on Gio's "can't miss" status. I do believe he has that type of ability, but some pitchers, due to mechanics, build, etc. have a predisposed succeptibility to injury. Gio is one of those guys. That certainly doesn't mean he can't dodge the bullet potentially, but it's a very real concern.

That being said, I love that he's back after we traded away our best LH'ers the last year or so.

Onto Gavin Floyd. As soon as I heard who was included I said to myself:

"Self, Don Cooper strikes again. He must see something in his mechanics and is confident he can fix it"

Sure enough, this was in today's Sun-Times:

[Floyd] is a power arm, 91 to 94 [mph fastball], hard curve, fading change,'' Williams said. ''We watched film all day on his delivery and see a way we can work on his command."

I imagine they'll use him in the same role they uised McCarthy last year and see how he responds. Tons of potential, we'll see if the change of scenery and coaching will have an effect.

Corlose 15
12-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Great to have Gio back. I'm not sure I agree on Gio's "can't miss" status. I do believe he has that type of ability, but some pitchers, due to mechanics, build, etc. have a predisposed succeptibility to injury. Gio is one of those guys. That certainly doesn't mean he can't dodge the bullet potentially, but it's a very real concern.

That being said, I love that he's back after we traded away our best LH'ers the last year or so.

Onto Gavin Floyd. As soon as I heard who was included I said to myself:

"Self, Don Cooper strikes again. He must see something in his mechanics and is confident he can fix it"

Sure enough, this was in today's Sun-Times:

I imagine they'll use him in the same role they uised McCarthy last year and see how he responds. Tons of potential, we'll see if the change of scenery and coaching will have an effect.

Its funny you mention that because as soon as I read one of the scouting reports on Floyd that someone posted I thought the same thing.

He seems like exactly the kind of player Cooper works with.

rdivaldi
12-07-2006, 03:21 PM

While I will readily agree that Gio is a bit on the thin side, thus raising the injury flag, I'm actually pretty satisfied with his mechanics. I don't see anything that would make me believe that his elbow or shoulder will pop anytime in the near future.

Randar68
12-07-2006, 03:31 PM
While I will readily agree that Gio is a bit on the thin side, thus raising the injury flag, I'm actually pretty satisfied with his mechanics. I don't see anything that would make me believe that his elbow or shoulder will pop anytime in the near future.

The finish of his deliver worries me with his shoulder, but who knows? Rauch and Prior had essentially perfect mechanics and they have both blown up to a certain degree.

rdivaldi
12-07-2006, 04:21 PM
The finish of his deliver worries me with his shoulder, but who knows?

I sure don't.

:redface:

But yeah, some guys look picture perfect throwing the ball and end up on the shelf early and often. For one of the guys you mentioned I'm somewhat convinced it was due to, ahem, chemical enhancement. But I'll leave it at that.

DMarte708
12-10-2006, 07:07 PM
When people cite Gonzalez's small frame as a possible concern for future injury, I can't help but scratch my head. He's not exactly short at 5ft11. Similarily, Pedro Martinez is 5'11, Johan Santana is 6'0. If his delivery isn't fluid, as Randar suggests, that would cause more concern for me than his height/weight.

KRS1
12-10-2006, 08:50 PM
When people cite Gonzalez's small frame as a possible concern for future injury, I can't help but scratch my head. He's not exactly short at 5ft11. Similarily, Pedro Martinez is 5'11, Johan Santana is 6'0. If his delivery isn't fluid, as Randar suggests, that would cause more concern for me than his height/weight.

Not to mention the 6' listing of Johan is a bit generous if you ask me. Just check out this pic with the 6'2" Liriano, and 6'4" Mauer....

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/images/2006/07/12/JzFkGOET.jpg

Judging from this, Id say he was closer to 5'10".

rdivaldi
12-10-2006, 10:34 PM
I don't know if small frames have ever been proven to lead to more injuries than the bigger guys. Parque and Sirotka were "wirey" guys that ended up breaking down. Then again, I don't think Pedro or Roy Oswalt are particularly big guys and they've been pretty durable. Heck, Bronson Arroyo is a human pencil and he lead the majors in innings pitched this year.

itsnotrequired
12-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Not to mention the 6' listing of Johan is a bit generous if you ask me. Just check out this pic with the 6'2" Liriano, and 6'4" Mauer....

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/images/2006/07/12/JzFkGOET.jpg

Judging from this, Id say he was closer to 5'10".

Liriano and Mauer are standing on the mound.

soltrain21
12-11-2006, 11:55 AM
That picture really makes me like the Twins uniforms, for some reason.

California Sox
12-11-2006, 03:21 PM

Makes me wish those three guys wore our uni.

DumpJerry
12-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Floyd and Aardsma remind me of Matt Thornton-I have a guy feeling they are the 2007 version of Thornton.

I was not happy to see Gio go last year for Thome (unlike some peoples' reaction to whatshisface in that trade, I did not start a bunch of "we need Gio back" threads), I felt he had potential and that is why the Phillies wanted him included. Glad to see him back.

oeo
12-12-2006, 12:37 AM

The uniform would be better if it didn't have the "patch name". Individually sewn letters look not only a lot better, but more professional. The uniforms with the patch just scream minor leagues.