PDA

View Full Version : Question about kenny quote....

ukigdog
12-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Reading the suntimes article, there is a quote from kenny williams regarding this trade. purely it says: ''The Chicago White Sox are still open for business,'' Williams said.

Is it me, or does that mean that there is more to come shortly. how else would you interperet that?? here is the link:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/163560,sox120606.article

Domeshot17
12-06-2006, 11:33 PM
That was my original thought. However, I know Kenny tries to fly under the radar (maybe that was part of it, everyone expected him to get good return for his starters, so he flew under the radar and gave Freddy away haha), but he did not sound like anything was on the Horizon during his mlb.com interview. He said the Whitesox are not looking to make a big splash. Just find good fits. Who knows with him. The way he talks he believes Floyd will be a top pitcher in the majors one day. This is obviously the version of Kenny that scouts and drafts every year, and we see how well that has worked out.

I guess we can't judge the trade yet, but it really feels like a step backwards, especially if nothing follows, then we are just rebuilding.

gobears1987
12-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Let me just say I hope so.

I'm really worried about this move. Unless they are part of a larger trade, Kenny got at least 1 bust (Floyd) and prospect (crapshoot on that outcome). Not something that was worth Freddy. I would be Ok with the deal if we sent someone like Vaz the Spaz away, but Freddy improved once he started using splitters.

I'll cross my fingers though and hope Kenny knows something we don't.

TheOldRoman
12-06-2006, 11:47 PM
That was my original thought. However, I know Kenny tries to fly under the radar (maybe that was part of it, everyone expected him to get good return for his starters, so he flew under the radar and gave Freddy away haha), but he did not sound like anything was on the Horizon during his mlb.com interview. He said the Whitesox are not looking to make a big splash. Just find good fits. Who knows with him. The way he talks he believes Floyd will be a top pitcher in the majors one day. This is obviously the version of Kenny that scouts and drafts every year, and we see how well that has worked out.

I guess we can't judge the trade yet, but it really feels like a step backwards, especially if nothing follows, then we are just rebuilding.

Horribly.

http://www.seesolutions.org/images/Trophy.jpg

ND_Sox_Fan
12-06-2006, 11:52 PM
I think he was recognizing that the Sox haven't made any real moves so far this year and this was the first - signifying that the organization is still living and breathing.

I hope it means that this is the start of more to come, but I don't think that was what that quote was trying to convey.

Save McCuddy's
12-07-2006, 12:02 AM
Dating back to the insanity of the Thomas spat last spring and ushered through the ill-advised lycra shirt yesterday and culminating in this baffling acquisition of Floyd -- is there a pattern that has any of you concerned about KW's mental well-being?

MUsoxfan
12-07-2006, 12:05 AM
I think he was recognizing that the Sox haven't made any real moves so far this year and this was the first - signifying that the organization is still living and breathing.

My feeling was the more the Sox stayed the same, the better they got. Now they are worse

TheOldRoman
12-07-2006, 12:25 AM
My feeling was the more the Sox stayed the same, the better they got. Now they are worse
Bull****. You can say you didn't like the trade (as of now, I don't), and you can say they should have gotten a lot more. But you can't say that this made the Sox worse. Aside from the prospects, they swapped Garcia for McCarthy. I have not been high on Brandon in the past year, but I am sure he will give us at least what Freddy did last year. Besides that, it isn't April 2 yet.

Zisk77
12-07-2006, 12:30 AM
I think one or both of these pitchers and some other prospects (Rosgowski e.g.) for Carl Crawford is now to come. It would also explain why Rowand wasn't part of deal.

MUsoxfan
12-07-2006, 12:55 AM
Bull****. You can say you didn't like the trade (as of now, I don't), and you can say they should have gotten a lot more. But you can't say that this made the Sox worse. Aside from the prospects, they swapped Garcia for McCarthy. I have not been high on Brandon in the past year, but I am sure he will give us at least what Freddy did last year. Besides that, it isn't April 2 yet.

Freddy has proven what he can and will do. McCarthy has proven nothing to anyone. They basically gave Freddy away for nothing so they can start a guy that's proven nothing. If you say the Sox are better now, you'd be full of ****

getonbckthr
12-07-2006, 02:24 AM
Freddy has proven what he can and will do. McCarthy has proven nothing to anyone. They basically gave Freddy away for nothing so they can start a guy that's proven nothing. If you say the Sox are better now, you'd be full of ****
I've been hard on Brandon on here alot however I have a good feeling he can post an ERA as good as if not better than Freddy Garcia. Wins are such an over rated stat in my opinion, ERA I think gives you a true feeling of a pitchers success.

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-07-2006, 06:20 AM
I've been hard on Brandon on here alot however I have a good feeling he can post an ERA as good as if not better than Freddy Garcia. Wins are such an over rated stat in my opinion, ERA I think gives you a true feeling of a pitchers success.
Maye we are underestimating this trade as a whole. Sure, I agree that KW probably could of got more for an AL starter, but lets look at this Floyd guy. He said he has a biting curve with a 91-94 mph heater. If Coop can work wikth this guy for 2 years, maybe he can become a pretty damn good pitcher. I kind of like this philosophy Kenny has because he's looking at the future, and beyond. When (hopefully not an IF) Floyd becomes decent, everyone in Chicago would regret what they said.

jenn2080
12-07-2006, 07:30 AM

First off Brandon is young and has not really had the opportunity to prove himself. He was also put into a roll in the bullpen that really wasn't what he is made for. He did do pretty well when he was needed for more then just one or two innings.

veeter
12-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Brandon proved himself to me in September of 2005. When Contreras missed a few starts McCarthy stepped in, and won some HUGE games when the team was really faltering. He beat the Yankees and, I think, Cleveland. He REALLY kept the Sox afloat, in big games. He's going to be just fine.

jenn2080
12-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Brandon proved himself to me in September of 2005. When Contreras missed a few starts McCarthy stepped in, and won some HUGE games when the team was really faltering. He beat the Yankees and, I think, Cleveland. He REALLY kept the Sox afloat, in big games. He's going to be just fine.

It was Cleveland. I believe it was that game that got rained out.

veeter
12-07-2006, 08:30 AM
It was Cleveland. I believe it was that game that got rained out.He made about four starts, not just one. I know he beat the Yankees.

WhiteSox5187
12-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Of course he was going to say the Sox were still open for buisness. What did you expect? For him to say "No, that's it. We're done now. We won't trade anyone else until July. Thanks!" Every GM will say "Oh we're still looking..." Doesn't mean that they really are though or that anything will necessarily come of it.

jenn2080
12-07-2006, 08:37 AM
He made about four starts, not just one. I know he beat the Yankees.

I know.

JB98
12-07-2006, 12:51 PM

You're sure McCarthy will give us 17 wins and 200 or more innings? That's a leap of faith.

So far, we've added Floyd and Aardsma, and we subtracted Garcia and Cotts. This makes us better how?

SABRSox
12-07-2006, 12:57 PM
You're sure McCarthy will give us 17 wins and 200 or more innings? That's a leap of faith.

So far, we've added Floyd and Aardsma, and we subtracted Garcia and Cotts. This makes us better how?

I don't know how Aardsma/Cotts is going to work out, but here's what I know about Garcia and Floyd/Gio. In 2007, we're not better. In 2008 and beyond, we at least have something, as opposed to nothing.

Lip Man 1
12-07-2006, 01:00 PM
SABR:

Maybe...neither you nor I know what can happen in 2008 or beyond.

I still remember Scott Ruffcorn you see.....or was it Rodney Bolton?

Lip

Hangar18
12-07-2006, 01:05 PM
SABR:

Lip

Thats what gets me, are we trying to win in 07 ? Or are we quietly "rebuilding" again? What are we doing?

SABRSox
12-07-2006, 01:08 PM
SABR:

Lip

I guess the question boils down to who would you rather bet on: Garcia in 2007, or Floyd or Gio doing anything in the next 5 years. Garcia was awful last year, so I'm actually inclined to bet on Floyd an Gio simply because of time and money.

JB98
12-07-2006, 01:16 PM
I guess the question boils down to who would you rather bet on: Garcia in 2007, or Floyd or Gio doing anything in the next 5 years. Garcia was awful last year, so I'm actually inclined to bet on Floyd an Gio simply because of time and money.

I'm the opposite. I want to win another championship in 2007. I want to make Chicago a Sox town. Of course, there would be no guarantee that would happen if Garcia had been kept, but I think he would have given us a better chance than Floyd and Gio.

KW talks about how strongly he believed in the 2006 team. Well, that was obviously bull****. He seems very willing to get rid of those guys and rebuild for a future that may never come. I'm so disappointed.

SABRSox
12-07-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm the opposite. I want to win another championship in 2007. I want to make Chicago a Sox town. Of course, there would be no guarantee that would happen if Garcia had been kept, but I think he would have given us a better chance than Floyd and Gio.

KW talks about how strongly he believed in the 2006 team. Well, that was obviously bull****. He seems very willing to get rid of those guys and rebuild for a future that may never come. I'm so disappointed.

Listen, I want to win in 2007 too, and I will tell you one thing, Garcia does not help us win in 2007. He was terrible in 2006. Awful. Pathetic. He had a nice run in September, and one great game against the Angels. Beyond that, I'd rather we put McCarthy out there.

Garcia not being on the team does not help or hurt our chances this year. It's a wash, probably a slight improvement now that Brandon is in the rotation. At the very least, he can be that terrible, and most likely better.

Now, I'll admit I wish we got either a CF or SS in the Garcia trade, but I don't want Rowand. If we had to get something, young pitching with a lot of upside is probably the best commodity to get, considering the crazy market for starting pitching.

JB98
12-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Listen, I want to win in 2007 too, and I will tell you one thing, Garcia does not help us win in 2007. He was terrible in 2006. Awful. Pathetic. He had a nice run in September, and one great game against the Angels. Beyond that, I'd rather we put McCarthy out there.

Garcia not being on the team does not help or hurt our chances this year. It's a wash, probably a slight improvement now that Brandon is in the rotation. At the very least, he can be that terrible, and most likely better.

Now, I'll admit I wish we got either a CF or SS in the Garcia trade, but I don't want Rowand. If we had to get something, young pitching with a lot of upside is probably the best commodity to get, considering the crazy market for starting pitching.

The first sentence of your last paragraph is why I'm so upset. I don't mind moving Freddy out for Brandon. That's fine. But with starting pitching being so valuable, we needed to acquire something that would help us right away in exchange for Garcia. Like a CF or a SS, or even a solid RHP for the bullpen. That didn't happen, and I'm not happy.

SABRSox
12-07-2006, 02:26 PM
The first sentence of your last paragraph is why I'm so upset. I don't mind moving Freddy out for Brandon. That's fine. But with starting pitching being so valuable, we needed to acquire something that would help us right away in exchange for Garcia. Like a CF or a SS, or even a solid RHP for the bullpen. That didn't happen, and I'm not happy.

Well, the off-season didn't end yesterday. There's still plenty of time for Kenny to go out and get a Baldelli.

JB98
12-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Well, the off-season didn't end yesterday. There's still plenty of time for Kenny to go out and get a Baldelli.

But now I have to worry that he's going to cough up another valued veteran member of our rotation to do it.

If he trades Garland, I'm going to be sick.

Tragg
12-10-2006, 04:06 PM
When Jason Marquis and Gil Meche are getting contracts like they got, how in the world is this the best williams can do for a superior pitcher signed at a reasonable price?

And compare this to what williams gave for Garcia and Vasquez - not even close.

I can't believe he uses our biggest trading commodity on essentially nothing.

It's just remarkable.

TornLabrum
12-10-2006, 04:44 PM
When Jason Marquis and Gil Meche are getting contracts like they got, how in the world is this the best williams can do for a superior pitcher signed at a reasonable price?

It's just remarkable.

Because he's a rent-a-player with one year left on his contract.

nodiggity59
12-10-2006, 05:20 PM

It's just remarkable.

FG is a 16 inch softball pitcher who's been declining for years....teams will not give up much to have a piece of that type of guy, but they'll give up a little on the prayer that he turns it around and for his durability.

DickAllen72
12-10-2006, 06:21 PM

It's just remarkable.

Marquis and Meche as well as Lilly, Schmidt and the others were "free" as far as giving up talent to acquire them goes.

When the teams in the market for Garcia see what guys like that are getting, they know they are either going to lose Freddy after only one year or wind up paying him wayyyyy too much for an extension.

Who is going to give up top line young inexpensive talent for the priviledge of renting Freddy for one year? Not too many teams.

santo=dorf
12-10-2006, 06:26 PM
He made about four starts, not just one. I know he beat the Yankees.
No he didn't.

He shut down the Red Sox on Labor day, threw a shutout on the road against Texas, had 8 k's and 2 ER in 5.2 IP against the Angels in mopup duty after El Duque gave up 4 homers in about 5 minutes, matched Johan Santana for 8 innings at USCF in a game the Sox ended up losing in extras, and got the win against Cleveland on the last day of the season after pitching 5 stong innings.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?n1=mccarbr01&t=p&year=2005