PDA

View Full Version : What is to become of Gavin Floyd?

CPditka
12-06-2006, 11:13 PM
What will become of Gavin Floyd. Previous to last year he was thought of the same was as Cole Hamels, a great prospect with serious control problems. Cole has seemed to turn the corner what will the Sox do with Gavin Floyd?

Jjav829
12-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Kenny said in his press conference that Floyd would be given a chance to compete with McCarthy for the #5 spot.

sox1970
12-06-2006, 11:17 PM
All I know about him are his numbers. Based on that, I'd say he'll start the year at AAA. He's 24 in January, so he has some more time to develop. But who knows? He could be traded by the Sox still.

santo=dorf
12-06-2006, 11:24 PM
If it's true that he's out of options, #3 isn't, well, an option. Somebody will claim him off of waivers, otherwise he's really worthless.

I don't know yet, and won't know until ST.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-06-2006, 11:25 PM
He can't possible the guy KW wanted for the bullpen, so my guess he'll be sent beack to AAA for 07, maybe get a September callup.

ondafarm
12-06-2006, 11:49 PM
He seems pretty deadly against righties, not so good against lefties. He has a great curveball, which explains much of that. He'll probably bulk up the pen.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-07-2006, 12:31 AM
If it's true that he's out of options, #3 isn't, well, an option. Somebody will claim him off of waivers, otherwise he's really worthless.

He seems pretty deadly against righties, not so good against lefties. He has a great curveball, which explains much of that.

If these are both true, he better start working on getting loose quickly.

:KW
"Art (Kusnyer), can we get this guy a jacket and chair?"

Iguana775
12-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Can someone give a scouting report on him?

Hitmen77
12-07-2006, 07:59 AM
My guess is that the Sox don't turn around and make another trade. In other words, we'll have Floyd and Gio as part of our organization come opening day.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Javier Vazquez will become his mentor and he will secure the 5th spot in the rotation this year. I fear a second starter (Buehrle or Contreras) will be dealt for help in the bullpen and to replace a SS, CF or LF - something I wish would have happened in the Garcia trade.

At minimum Floyd (age 24 in 2007) will help in the bullpen this year while Gio (age 21) has another year in AA or possibly gets promoted to AAA.

I do not think either will be dealt this offseason.

kevingrt
12-07-2006, 09:43 AM
I still can see good things coming from Gavin Floyd. He may need another year in the minors and with spring training help from the savior Don Cooper this kid could pan out well as even a #3 starter. We know he has or well at least had the talent now can the minor league coaches and Coop fix this kid where he has the confidence to pitch in the majors? We will find out, but my answer is Yes.

Huisj
12-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Javier Vazquez will become his mentor and he will secure the 5th spot in the rotation this year. I fear a second starter (Buehrle or Contreras) will be dealt for help in the bullpen and to replace a SS, CF or LF - something I wish would have happened in the Garcia trade.

At minimum Floyd (age 24 in 2007) will help in the bullpen this year while Gio (age 21) has another year in AA or possibly gets promoted to AAA.

I do not think either will be dealt this offseason.

I would be very nervous if they traded another starter in order to give a spot in the rotation to Floyd. That sounds like trouble, and doesn't sound like something a team that expects to contend would want to do. It sounds like something a mediocre team that is trying to hit it lucky would do (in other words, what the Sox used to do a number of years ago with the rotation).

SOecks
12-07-2006, 10:34 AM
I posted this in the other thread as well but think it deserves mentioning again. Coop was just on ESPN 1000 and said he had NO discussion with KW or anyone on the Sox before this trade was made. He heard the news from his wife after she saw it on TV last night. Weird.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-07-2006, 10:55 AM
I would be very nervous if they traded another starter in order to give a spot in the rotation to Floyd. That sounds like trouble, and doesn't sound like something a team that expects to contend would want to do. It sounds like something a mediocre team that is trying to hit it lucky would do (in other words, what the Sox used to do a number of years ago with the rotation).

After reflecting a bit more I think he will start out in the bullpen but I think he will fill in at some point (for an injured starter) and hopefully will pitch well for us.

If Floyd can give us a few good years at the #4 or #5 spot and Gonzalez develops as expected, this trade will work out very well for the White Sox. If only one pitches well here, it would be a fair deal (one pitcher with a few good years for one year of Garcia).

What people are failing to consider comparing what free agents are paid vs. what Garcia brought over is the word free as in it didn't cost any talent to acquire those free agent pitchers (perhaps one or two draft picks down the line at most if they were Type A / B free agents).

Kenny said this is the best deal he could get for Garcia and he is the one who reviewed all of the proposals. You can debate whether Garcia should have been traded for this package but I the deal can work out nicely for the team in the future while freeing up money to use in 2007.

"We are in a position that allows us to remain equally competitive in our chances to win a championship for the 2007 season and again set ourselves up for a sustained future. And what we believe that to be is starting pitching, some of the youngest and most talented in the game. And if someone wants to talk to us about that type of deal, we're always interested."

BMac Daddy
12-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Sox will stash Gavin the bullpen unitl he is ready, just like they did with McCarthy...

Huisj
12-07-2006, 11:10 AM
So what does the bullpen look like then for next year (as of now)?

Jenks
McDougal
Thornton
Aardsma
Floyd?
Haeger?
LOGAN??

I'm still not super excited about that. I think the top three are fine. Aardsma seems to have tools, but is kind of still an unknown. Floyd is even more of a toolsy unknown. This pen scares me a bit. :?:

Who knows though, maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised (either by another transaction or by some young guys listed here actually stepping up).

TheVulture
12-07-2006, 04:06 PM
My prediction: Floyd, Crede and a prospect for Santana and "Figgy"

woodsdavid
12-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Sox will stash Gavin the bullpen unitl he is ready, just like they did with McCarthy...

because that worked so well

MRM
12-07-2006, 04:34 PM

I don't see it. You can't just take any old starter, especially one with mechanical flaws and location issues, toss him in the bull pen and expect positive results. Actually, that's exactly the kind of pitcher you DON'T put in the pen. The Sox biggest need is bullpen. THIS guy definately isn't the answer.

I read someone said he's out of options...is that true? If it is, this was a STUPID trade. He's got plenty of talent and if you think you can "fix him" to the point where he's able to be a starter in '08 or maybe an injury replacement in '07, fine. But if you make this deal knowing you can't send him down to the minors this year it's an incredibly dumb gamble to assume he should be on the 25 man roster on opening day '07