PDA

View Full Version : Draft!

Vsahajpal
03-07-2002, 11:43 PM
The draft is just 3 months away, so I thought I get started early. I participated in TeamOne's readers mock draft and selected for the Sox and Cubs last year. I actually nailed the Cubs first two picks (at least I would've selected Prior over Teixeira, if not for the Twins guy), but I did call Sisco at 46. I also nailed Honel, and I figured the Sox would take two collegiate pitchers at 39 and 71. I selected Preston Larrison at 39, and Wyatt Allen at 71; the Sox instead took Allen at 39...but I'll give myself credit... :D:

anyways...

The Sox select at 18 in the first round, and they get the 59th overall pick in the 2nd round. I think its safe to say that they usually stick with the best player available strategy. Fortunately, the best player at 18 might fill their biggest need, catcher. So early on, I'm guessing the Sox select Tyler Parker, C, Georgia Tech.

Talented catcher and poweful hitter who is recognized as one of the top catchers in the nation ... Excellent athlete with tremendous tools who has the potential to be a early round selection in the Major League baseball draft in June ... Saw extensive action as a rookie in 2000, before spending much of his sophomore season on the bench with various injuries ... Understands how to handle a pitching staff and has a superb throwing arm ... A pre-season all-America pick by Baseball America in both 2000 and 2001 ... A sixth-round choice of the New York Mets in the 1998 major league draft ... Ranked 11th among all collegiate prospects for the upcoming 2002 draft by Baseball America

He's currently hitting .294 with a .985 OPS

OfficerKarkovice
03-07-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
The draft is just 3 months away, so I thought I get started early. I participated in TeamOne's readers mock draft and selected for the Sox and Cubs last year. I actually nailed the Cubs first two picks (at least I would've selected Prior over Teixeira, if not for the Twins guy), but I did call Sisco at 46. I also nailed Honel, and I figured the Sox would take two collegiate pitchers at 39 and 71. I selected Preston Larrison at 39, and Wyatt Allen at 71; the Sox instead took Allen at 39...but I'll give myself credit... :D:

anyways...

The Sox select at 18 in the first round, and they get the 59th overall pick in the 2nd round. I think its safe to say that they usually stick with the best player available strategy. Fortunately, the best player at 18 might fill their biggest need, catcher. So early on, I'm guessing the Sox select Tyler Parker, C, Georgia Tech.

Talented catcher and poweful hitter who is recognized as one of the top catchers in the nation ... Excellent athlete with tremendous tools who has the potential to be a early round selection in the Major League baseball draft in June ... Saw extensive action as a rookie in 2000, before spending much of his sophomore season on the bench with various injuries ... Understands how to handle a pitching staff and has a superb throwing arm ... A pre-season all-America pick by Baseball America in both 2000 and 2001 ... A sixth-round choice of the New York Mets in the 1998 major league draft ... Ranked 11th among all collegiate prospects for the upcoming 2002 draft by Baseball America

He's currently hitting .294 with a .985 OPS

Hey that's what I like to hear...now if we could only have Vic drafting for the Sox :smile:

delben91
03-08-2002, 05:02 PM
The key would be signing him, JR seems to have a phobia about spending money on catching draft choices.

Vsahajpal
03-08-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by delben91
The key would be signing him, JR seems to have a phobia about spending money on catching draft choices.

and rightfully so, since high school catchers are the biggest risk in the draft.

Parker's a junior at a great baseball program, so I don't think JR would have a problem paying Parker slot or just above it.

Vsahajpal
03-09-2002, 12:32 AM
Sox are crafty!

They were scouting Kentucky RHP Joe Blanton this afternoon, he struck out 16 guys.

They were out the other weekend watching Nevada RHP Darryl Rasner, who's 3-1 with a 1.25 ERA thus far, Baseball America editor Allan Simpson on Rasner...

The University of Nevada's Rasner is a lock to get drafted, perhaps as early as the second round. He's always put up good results and his stuff is solid.

just throwing the scent off Tyler Parker I guess... :?: