PDA

View Full Version : Sox best avg, worst era.

SOXit2EM
03-07-2002, 10:41 PM
I just read this on Chisports.com. The Sox are leading the AL this spring w/ a .386 avg, but are in the cellar w/ a 7.49 era. Geeeeeeeeeeeez. This could be a VERY :?: INTERESTING year. :bundy

Cheryl
03-07-2002, 10:48 PM
Welcome to WSI, Soxit. We're all obsessing over the pitching situation on other threads also.

Pete_SSAC
03-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by SOXit2EM
I just read this on Chisports.com. The Sox are leading the AL this spring w/ a .386 avg, but are in the cellar w/ a 7.49 era. Geeeeeeeeeeeez. This could be a VERY :?: INTERESTING year.

Not worried, it's early spring training.

We could be the Cubs, and not have a bullpen at all.

- Pete

baggio202
03-07-2002, 10:57 PM
I just read this on Chisports.com. The Sox are leading the AL this spring w/ a .386 avg, but are in the cellar w/ a 7.49 era. Geeeeeeeeeeeez. This could be a VERY :?: INTERESTING year.

can you say 1000 runs scored and given up???...look for alot of 3 1/2 to 4 hour games...lol

sorry guys...i know its only spring training and these games dont mean anything but i thought our pitching staff sucked before ST began..and nothing is happening that has any chance of changing my mind so far...

SOXit2EM
03-07-2002, 10:58 PM
I'm not worried.......yet. But if this trend keeps up, we could be the '01 version of the rangers........YIKES! :?:

idseer
03-08-2002, 09:31 AM
i think that's much better than if it were the other way around.

when the pitchers need to get serious the pitching will get much better.
the hitters already are serious and are looking fantastic.

the sox probably have more untested youth on the mound than most other teams this spring but when it comes time for the cream to play the pitching should be adequate to good.

look out a l central!

rmusacch
03-08-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC

Not worried, it's early spring training.

We could be the Cubs, and not have a bullpen at all.

- Pete

So far, our bullpen is nothing to write home about. As it stands now, Foulke is the only sure thing in the bullpen.

harwar
03-08-2002, 10:36 AM
2001-> I can't help but remember last spring when i kept saying,its early spring training,it means nothing...its mid-march,way too early to worry...late spring games are just a tune-up,don't worry...when spring training is over the Sox will start winning and we'll all forget the losses...its too early in the season to start worrying,they will snap out of it...its only been a few weeks,don't worry...its been a month and i'm damn worried...

2002-> its early spring training,it means nothing...

Iwritecode
03-08-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by harwar
2001-> I can't help but remember last spring when i kept saying,its early spring training,it means nothing...its mid-march,way too early to worry...late spring games are just a tune-up,don't worry...when spring training is over the Sox will start winning and we'll all forget the losses...its too early in the season to start worrying,they will snap out of it...its only been a few weeks,don't worry...its been a month and i'm damn worried...

2002-> its early spring training,it means nothing...

Didn't the Sox kinda suck in 2000 ST too?

voodoochile
03-08-2002, 10:49 AM
Have you guys been following the box scores? Sox are pitching a ton of AAA guys. Malone and Almonte have been getting lit up. So far the starters don't look too bad, but they have only been throwing 2-3 innings. Things will improve when they start throwing more innings...

DrCrawdad
03-08-2002, 11:11 AM
I just read this on Chisports.com. The Sox are leading the AL this spring w/ a .386 avg, but are in the cellar w/ a 7.49 era. Geeeeeeeeeeeez. This could be a VERY :?: INTERESTING year. :bundy

Do you have a link to this article?

It's interesting to me to hear Cubbie fans say talk about their young pitchers. Many talk as if there were no question that they'll be top notch performers.

Cruz - 3 wins in 2001 were he had 26 runs in support. Is Cruz a lock? No, he'll have to show it over a full season.
Chiasson - Unproven in MLB.
Zambrano - Got hit pretty hard last season in his brief stint with the Cub. Of course that was because Acosta yelled at him.
Duncan - His ML numbers from last season weren't that great. A 28 yr-old prospect. Humm.
Meyers - Unproven in MLB.
Christensen - Unproven in MLB.

Many of these guys have put up good number is the minors. But I ask, are their numbers better than what our WS prospects have put up? Guerrier, Ginter, Rauch, Garland, Malone, etc. And do these WS prospects give you confidence that they're a lock to succeed?

- DrCrawdad.

Chisox353014
03-08-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Do you have a link to this article?

It's interesting to me to hear Cubbie fans say talk about their young pitchers. Many talk as if there were no question that they'll be top notch performers.

Cruz - 3 wins in 2001 were he had 26 runs in support. Is Cruz a lock? No, he'll have to show it over a full season.
Chiasson - Unproven in MLB.
Zambrano - Got hit pretty hard last season in his brief stint with the Cub. Of course that was because Acosta yelled at him.
Duncan - His ML numbers from last season weren't that great. A 28 yr-old prospect. Humm.
Meyers - Unproven in MLB.
Christensen - Unproven in MLB.

Many of these guys have put up good number is the minors. But I ask, are their numbers better than what our WS prospects have put up? Guerrier, Ginter, Rauch, Garland, Malone, etc. And do these WS prospects give you confidence that they're a lock to succeed?

- DrCrawdad.

Anybody else hoping that Christensen gets lit up like a Christmas tree? That guy should be in jail for what he did.

DrCrawdad
03-08-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014

Anybody else hoping that Christensen gets lit up like a Christmas tree? That guy should be in jail for what he did.

If only this could happen...

Molina bats against Christensen in Christensen's first MLB game. Molina hits a line smash that hits Beanball Ben right in his eye.

That would truly be an accident.

Of course, Molina won't ever face Beanball Ben in MLB since Molina can't even make it with the Schaumburg Flyers. Molina may not have had the talent to make MLB before Beanball Ben hit him, but no doubt losing vision in an eye reduced his effectiveness.

Tribune spin-doctors have been working overtime trying to help rehab Beanball Ben's image.

- DrCrawdad.

foulkesfan11
03-08-2002, 01:56 PM
The Sox are playing all of these no name pitchers right now which is why our ERA is so bad. I just hope we have some decent healthy lefties in the bullpen by April. GET WELL SOON KELLY!