PDA

View Full Version : Ted Lilly close to deal

thomas35forever
12-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Per ESPN 1000 and The Score, he is expected to accept an offer from either the Cubs or the Yankees within the next 24 hours.

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Per ESPN 1000 and The Score, he is expected to accept an offer from either the Cubs or the Yankees within the next 24 hours.If they're for similar money it will be a really tough choice.

spiffie
12-06-2006, 03:59 PM
If they're for similar money it will be a really tough choice.
Actually, it might not be as cut and dried as the teal would indicate. Yes, you're far more likely to win as a Yankee. However, you're also going to be under ridiculous scrutiny, have gigantic expectations placed on you, and your every waking moment will be under a microscope. And for all that, you're still going to a team that hasn't won a World Series since 2000. If you're a pitcher, and you've seen the way guys crack in New York, maybe you decide to take the easy road at Wrigley instead of becoming the next Vazquez/Brown/Pavano/Wright.

Lip Man 1
12-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Spiffie has a point...remember Ed Whitson? How about Kenny Rogers??

Lip

DaleJRFan
12-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Actually, it might not be as cut and dried as the teal would indicate. Yes, you're far more likely to win as a Yankee. However, you're also going to be under ridiculous scrutiny, have gigantic expectations placed on you, and your every waking moment will be under a microscope. And for all that, you're still going to a team that hasn't won a World Series since 2000. If you're a pitcher, and you've seen the way guys crack in New York, maybe you decide to take the easy road at Wrigley instead of becoming the next Vazquez/Brown/Pavano/Wright.

Lilly already pitched for the Yankees and wasn't very good there, working mostly out of relief. Unless the Yankees offer him the earth, moon and the stars, I'd be surprised if he signs to pitch there again.

INSox56
12-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Fine by me if it's the cubs (though I'm as sick of hearing about how great the cubs are doing as we all are). I don't worry about Lilly, but he'd still make the Yanks, as the evil empire and competition, better than they currently are.

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Actually, it might not be as cut and dried as the teal would indicate. Yes, you're far more likely to win as a Yankee. However, you're also going to be under ridiculous scrutiny, have gigantic expectations placed on you, and your every waking moment will be under a microscope. And for all that, you're still going to a team that hasn't won a World Series since 2000. If you're a pitcher, and you've seen the way guys crack in New York, maybe you decide to take the easy road at Wrigley instead of becoming the next Vazquez/Brown/Pavano/Wright.Do I have to say it?:redneck

spiffie
12-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Do I have to say it?:redneck
92 years. We all know the math :D: The point is that the Yankees, though obviously a perennial playoff team, are not a guaranteed ring by any means or even a guaranteed shot at the World Series. It's not like being a college player deciding between NIU and Ohio State for football.

Baby Fisk
12-06-2006, 04:18 PM

:sahaf
"Minister Spiffie is absolutely correct. Of course, everyone hates the infidel Yankees! The heretic Dusty Baker era is over and the great Lou Piniella has opened his birthing canal to us all so that we may glimpse upon the creation of a new dawn. This will be an era of teamwork, personal excellence and winning a championship. So it would be most wise for this Lilly boy to get on the wagon. I strongly encourage him to get on the wagon, before he is no longer able to get on the wagon. If he fails to get on the wagon, he will bring great shame upon his family name. Praise Piniella!"

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2006, 04:23 PM
92 years. We all know the math :D: The point is that the Yankees, though obviously a perennial playoff team, are not a guaranteed ring by any means or even a guaranteed shot at the World Series. It's not like being a college player deciding between NIU and Ohio State for football.98 years. But who's counting?:tongue:

There are never any guarantees, but any way you slice it your odds are about 1000 times better with the Yankees than with the Flubs.

Crede_Fan
12-06-2006, 04:25 PM
He would look better pitching in the National League. He has already pitched in the AL East. He would have better stats in the NL Central.

infohawk
12-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Lilly already pitched for the Yankees and wasn't very good there, working mostly out of relief. Unless the Yankees offer him the earth, moon and the stars, I'd be surprised if he signs to pitch there again.
I read somewhere that Lilly's first choice was to get back with the Yankees. This was in an article discussing whether he would wind up with the Blue Jays or Yankees. If the Cubs don't get both Lilly and Meche, they could be in some serious trouble. Both pitchers are their free agent targets. I don't see them being very successful taking the trade route. Improving their staff is tantamount to protecting their investments in Soriano, Ramirez and any other free agents for whom they overpaid. If they go into the season with Zambrano, an iffy Prior and three youngsters to round out the rotation, they will be in a world of hurt with that big payroll and no results to show for their drunken spending spree.

DaleJRFan
12-06-2006, 04:33 PM
I read somewhere that Lilly's first choice was to get back with the Yankees. This was in an article discussing whether he would wind up with the Blue Jays or Yankees. If the Cubs don't get both Lilly and Meche, they could be in some serious trouble. Both pitchers are their free agent targets. I don't see them being very successful taking the trade route. Improving their staff is tantamount to protecting their investments in Soriano, Ramirez and any other free agents for whom they overpaid. If they go into the season with Zambranoa, and iffy Prior and three youngsters to round out the rotation, they will be in a world of hurt.

In the same light, Meche is the Blue Jays #1 target to replace Lilly in their rotation. If the Cubs miss out on Lilly, they could effectively miss out on Meche as well.

chisoxmike
12-06-2006, 04:34 PM
I'd put money on him signing with the Cubs.

spiffie
98 years. But who's counting?:tongue:

There are never any guarantees, but any way you slice it your odds are about 1000 times better with the Yankees than with the Flubs.
92 years difference between when the Cubs and Yankees last won.

And of course your chances of winning are better. But I think we all know some athletes care about winning more than others.

chisoxmike
In the same light, Meche is the Blue Jays #1 target to replace Lilly in their rotation. If the Cubs miss out on Lilly, they could effectively miss out on Meche as well.

Let's hope they miss out on both. :supernana:

DaleJRFan
12-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Let's hope they miss out on both. :supernana:

I'm torn. The Sox historically light up both Lilly and Meche, so I'd like to see the Scrubs put those two out against us in the crosstown this year - while I'd love to see the Scrubs march into Spring Training with Wade Miller and Sean Marshall in their rotation.

chisoxmike
12-06-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm torn. The Sox historically light up both Lilly and Meche, so I'd like to see the Scrubs put those two out against us in the crosstown this year - while I'd love to see the Scrubs march into Spring Training with Wade Miller and Sean Marshall in their rotation.

I'd rather have them with no shot going into spring training. :supernana:

russ99
12-06-2006, 04:42 PM
I'd put money on him signing with the Cubs.

As I said in another post, I have a gut feeling he's going to the Yankees. Since the Yankees are offering that much cash to Lilly, I wonder if the Yankees brass already knows about Andy Pettitte's decision, who's sigining would cause a huge domino effect with the remaining FA starters.

Also, he can stick it to the Blue Jays and their idiot manager much better by pitching for a AL East rival.

veeter
12-06-2006, 04:46 PM
To think there's actually a bidding war for TED LILLY, makes me laugh. If the cubs do sign him, prepare for the huge headlines. Then prepare for the July headlines of, "why are we under achieving?" Well, you're your seeking your proper level. You're achieving exactly what you should be. Freakin' morons.

Hangar18
12-06-2006, 04:46 PM
The Cubs will overpay immensely to get Lilly.

Hitmen77
12-06-2006, 05:01 PM

Yep, no one ever had a miserable time living up to expectations as a Cub.....oh wait, this story got past the Tribune censors today:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-061205cubs,1,4411711.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

spiffie
12-06-2006, 05:04 PM
To think there's actually a bidding war for TED LILLY, makes me laugh. If the cubs do sign him, prepare for the huge headlines. Then prepare for the July headlines of, "why are we under achieving?" Well, you're your seeking your proper level. You're achieving exactly what you should be. Freakin' morons.
In two of the last three years Ted Lilly would have been the 2nd best pitcher on the White Sox. In 2004 he was .18 higher in ERA than Buehrle and lower than anyone else on our staff. In 2006 he would have been .04 higher than Contreras and higher than anyone else on our staff. Over the last 5 years:
Buehrle 3.91
Vazquez 4.23
Contreras 4.28 (over 4 seasons)
Garland 4.39
Garcia 4.22
Lilly 4.38

It's kind of hard to argue that our pitchers are bargains and Lilly is overpaid in the same breath if he gets 10 million per year.

champagne030
12-06-2006, 05:14 PM
In two of the last three years Ted Lilly would have been the 2nd best pitcher on the White Sox. In 2004 he was .18 higher in ERA than Buehrle and lower than anyone else on our staff. In 2006 he would have been .04 higher than Contreras and higher than anyone else on our staff. Over the last 5 years:
Buehrle 3.91
Vazquez 4.23
Contreras 4.28 (over 4 seasons)
Garland 4.39
Garcia 4.22
Lilly 4.38

It's kind of hard to argue that our pitchers are bargains and Lilly is overpaid in the same breath if he gets 10 million per year.

He's a bullpen killer. He has never pitched over 200 innings in a season in his career. His last five season have produced inning totals of:

His lack of control forces him out of games in the 5th or 6th innings. $10M for a 5 2/3 inning starter is way overpaid.

spiffie
12-07-2006, 02:53 AM
He's a bullpen killer. He has never pitched over 200 innings in a season in his career. His last five season have produced inning totals of:

His lack of control forces him out of games in the 5th or 6th innings. $10M for a 5 2/3 inning starter is way overpaid.
:vazquez:

"Quit looking at me like that!"

Baby Fisk
12-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Toronto radio reporting this morning that Lilly has signed with the baby bears yippee!

jenn2080
12-07-2006, 08:38 AM

While Lilly is way overpaid so is Javier the 6th inning Vazquez.

miker
12-07-2006, 04:29 PM
$40 million for Ted Lilly? :o:
Why didn't I learn how to pitch? :whiner:

champagne030
12-07-2006, 05:17 PM

:vazquez:

"Quit looking at me like that!"

While Lilly is way overpaid so is Javier the 6th inning Vazquez.

We're not paying Javy $10M a year. The Yankmee$ are paying $3M per year and the D-Backs paid $1M last year and will pay $3M this year. I believe we paid $7.5M last season and will pay $6.5M this season.

Don't forget when he was signed to his deal he was coming off seasons with IP totals of 218,224,230 and 230....

Ol' No. 2
12-07-2006, 05:19 PM
We're not paying Javy $10M a year. The Yankmee$ are paying $3M per year and the D-Backs paid $1M last year and will pay $3M this year. I believe we paid $7.5M last season and will pay $6.5M this season.

Don't forget when he was signed to his deal he was coming off seasons with IP totals of 218,224,230 and 230....The Yankees money didn't come to the White Sox. Vazquez is costing them $9.5M in 2007.