PDA

View Full Version : Schmidt a Dodger

SoxyStu
12-06-2006, 01:22 PM
preliminary agreement: 3 yrs 47

per rotoworld.

PKalltheway
12-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Uh oh, another Giant going to the hated Dodgers!

SABRSox
12-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Yup, that's confirmed: Link. (http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061206&content_id=1752456&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la)

This should get things moving now.

The Immigrant
12-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Hendry is furiously dialing Ted Lilly's agent to raise his original offer to 5 years/$72 million.

UserNameBlank
12-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Yuck! Another terrible contract. Hopefully Zito signs now, I'm guessing probably 5 years/90 million or so. Something sickening for sure.

SABRSox
12-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Yuck! Another terrible contract. Hopefully Zito signs now, I'm guessing probably 5 years/90 million or so. Something sickening for sure.

While the money sucks, it's actually a reasonable contract as far as the years go. Zito, on the other hand, is looking for 6 years, and a team like Texas will probably be stupid enough to give it to him.

palehozenychicty
12-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Uh oh, another Giant going to the hated Dodgers!

right?! But Colleti did work in the Giants organization for awhile, so I'm sure he had cultivated good relationships with the players, especially Schmidt. It looks like the Jays and Cubs will get one of Meche/Lilly.

SoxSpeed22
12-06-2006, 01:37 PM
While the money sucks, it's actually a reasonable contract as far as the years go. Zito, on the other hand, is looking for 6 years, and a team like Texas will probably be stupid enough to give it to him.Compared to some of the other ones in recent history, the Dodgers actually might have gotten a bargain here.
About Zito, he might want to play for Ron Washington, former A's 3rd base coach. It's still going to be between the Rangers and the Mets, and I'll say the Rangers get Zito.

itsnotrequired
12-06-2006, 01:54 PM

Not that bad of a deal. The other contracts this season are a product of a weak free agent class. Advantage...players.

PicktoCLick72
12-06-2006, 01:59 PM
At least Schmidt has proven himself unlike many of the other free agents who have cashed in this off season.

Jjav829
12-06-2006, 02:14 PM
The Dodgers are one big power threat in the middle of their order away from being pretty good.

The problem is that they apparently are trying to sign Luis Gonzalez, who I guess they think is that bat. Whatever. If you're gonna block Andre Ethier, do it with Manny, not Luis Gonzalez.

SABRSox
12-06-2006, 02:28 PM
The Dodgers are one big power threat in the middle of their order away from being pretty good.

The problem is that they apparently are trying to sign Luis Gonzalez, who I guess they think is that bat. Whatever. If you're gonna block Andre Ethier, do it with Manny, not Luis Gonzalez.

While they are in the hunt for Gonzalez, I think Colletti is taking a KW approach to stockpiling starting pitching and trading for the big hitter he needs. I don't think they need to, though. That division is bad enough that they can probably still win with Kemp and Ethier in their OF. Kemp has 30+ HR potential.

Jjav829
12-06-2006, 02:30 PM
While they are in the hunt for Gonzalez, I think Colletti is taking a KW approach to stockpiling starting pitching and trading for the big hitter he needs. I don't think they need to, though. That division is bad enough that they can probably still win with Kemp and Ethier in their OF. Kemp has 30+ HR potential.

I just don't see why they'd have any interest in Luis Gonzalez. They'd be a better team with Andre Ethier or Matt Kemp playing everyday. I wouldn't be surprised if they trade Penny in a Manny Ramirez deal.

Fenway
12-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Not that bad of a deal. The other contracts this season are a product of a weak free agent class. Advantage...players.

can't wait to see what Boras gets for Barry Zito..that will be the biggest of them all

SABRSox
12-06-2006, 02:37 PM
I just don't see why they'd have any interest in Luis Gonzalez. They'd be a better team with Andre Ethier or Matt Kemp playing everyday. I wouldn't be surprised if they trade Penny in a Manny Ramirez deal.

Here's the thing about Colletti. He loves older players. The guy mentored under Sabean, who gladly threw draft picks away to sign guys like Omar Vizquel. The interest in Gonzalez is logical from that viewpoint, but makes no other sense otherwise.

He's cheap, and he's still got some production in him, but if you ask me that's similar production to what you'd get out of Kemp or Ethier. (Kemp, IMO, will probably be a perenially 30-90-90 guy in 2 or 3 years.) Of course, Ned doesn't have the patience with the kids that's required.

As for Manny, won't happen. The Red Sox want Broxton, and LA will not trade him for anything. They know they have no shot at Gagne (they want him signed to an incentive laden deal, having spent $19mil on him over the past 2 injury plagued seasons) and Saito is no guarantee. Broxton is a stud from the pen, and he'll be closing out games as early as this year if Saito can't get the job done.

Flight #24
12-06-2006, 02:37 PM

The problem there is that Theo Einstein appears to think that Manny and his salary and knees is worth 3 top prospects. If what's rumored is true, he basically asked for the equivalent of Jenks, McCarthy, & Fields from the Dodgers. Or as one report put it "everyone on the Dodgers roster and 250 gold bars".

Most interesting thing about the Schmidt signing is how short it is. Ted Lilly can demand a $4/40+ deal and Zito wants 5-6 but Jason Schmidt "settles" for 3 years and just over $15M/yr?:?:

SABRSox
12-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Of note to us is that the Dodgers are very close to signing Lieberthal to a 1yr/$1mil contract. That would free up Toby Hall for trade, and he punishes left handed pitching.

ilsox7
12-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Most interesting thing about the Schmidt signing is how short it is. Ted Lilly can demand a $4/40+ deal and Zito wants 5-6 but Jason Schmidt "settles" for 3 years and just over $15M/yr?:?:

Schmidt is already 33, at least a few years older than the other FA pitchers.

DaleJRFan
12-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Of note to us is that the Dodgers are very close to signing Lieberthal to a 1yr/$1mil contract. That would free up Toby Hall for trade, and he punishes left handed pitching.

Do you know a web site that lists players' career splits? All I can get to with where I know where to look gives 2006 splits only.

Toby Hall 2006 vs. Lefhanded Pitchers:
as a Dodger: 7/16 .438
as a Devil Ray: 14/56 .250
Total: 21/72 .291

These numbers don't reveal a whole lot... would like to see his career splits before I embarass myself with another man-crush post about Chris Stewart's defensive prowess :redneck

Ol' No. 2
12-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Do you know a web site that lists players' career splits? All I can get to with where I know where to look gives 2006 splits only.

Toby Hall 2006 vs. Lefhanded Pitchers:
as a Dodger: 7/16 .438
as a Devil Ray: 14/56 .250
Total: 21/72 .291

These numbers don't reveal a whole lot... would like to see his career splits before I embarass myself with another man-crush post about Chris Stewart's defensive prowess :redneckESPN has them for the last 4 years.

SABRSox
12-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Over the last 3 years, he averages something like .296 against LHP with a SLG around .450 and a .333 OBP.

Career he's .274 AVG, .403 SLG, and .319 OBP against LHP. He's obviously been better the last 3 seasons.

DaleJRFan
12-06-2006, 03:04 PM
ESPN has them for the last 4 years.

...yea and thanks for making me feel like a big idiot! :smile:

Flight #24
12-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Another interesting aspect of this deal is that it apparently frees up Brad Penny to be dealt. The problem for the Sox is that he's got something like "Eaton money" (~3/$24M), but is in the same ballpark in terms of caliber as Freddy - i.e. a potentially more attractive option.

DaleJRFan
12-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Over the last 3 years, he averages something like .296 against LHP with a SLG around .450 and a .333 OBP.

Career he's .274 AVG, .403 SLG, and .319 OBP against LHP. He's obviously been better the last 3 seasons.

Thanks to Ol' No.2, I've noticed he has also rocked the house at USCF, hitting 375 in his at-bats there. He's also performed well against AL Central opponents, specifically the Twins (281), the Royals (306) and the Indians (268), but not so hot against the Tigers (a widger-esk 195).

SABRSox
12-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Another interesting aspect of this deal is that it apparently frees up Brad Penny to be dealt. The problem for the Sox is that he's got something like "Eaton money" (~3/$24M), but is in the same ballpark in terms of caliber as Freddy - i.e. a potentially more attractive option.

There's a fundamental difference though. The Dodgers need an impact bat. The White Sox are looking for small parts and prospects. I think the White Sox may be easier to deal with.

Also, if the Dodgers sign one of Gonzalez or Huff, they may just decide to hang on to Penny and their plethora of starters, in case of an injury. And, if you follow the Dodgers any, they happen early and often.

caulfield12
12-06-2006, 04:10 PM

They should have kept Odalis Perez.

They agreed to pay his entire contract just to get rid of him, he would be worth a lot in this market, lol.

Cuck_The_Fubs
12-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Yup, it's gonna make A-Rod look somewhat reasonable!

DaleJRFan
12-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Take it for what its worth (probably nothing) but word in STL is that the Schimdt deal isn't official yet and that the Cardinals have bene told they can still make Schmidt an offer.

http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=424640&sid=dc75bbd6b45a4f3390ddc9c4d8943239