PDA

View Full Version : Greg Maddux to Padres

downstairs
12-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Per Sportsline:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9851920

a two-year deal worth $16.5 million that, with incentives, could be worth as much as $20 million if Maddux pitches at least 180 innings.

UserNameBlank
12-06-2006, 12:25 PM
In comparison to what some of these other guys are getting or going to get, it is a very good deal for the Pads. They get a true class act and future HOF player as a fifth starter (he will be even if they don't slot him there at first). Greg, even if he can't get into the 7th inning much at all anymore, will do more on the mound and in the clubhouse for that team than some overpaid stopgap like Adam Eaton for example ever would.

I like the deal too because I like the Pads and I like Maddux, so now I don't have to hate the guy anymore.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-06-2006, 08:44 PM
In comparison to what some of these other guys are getting or going to get, it is a very good deal for the Pads. They get a true class act and future HOF player as a fifth starter (he will be even if they don't slot him there at first). Greg, even if he can't get into the 7th inning much at all anymore, will do more on the mound and in the clubhouse for that team than some overpaid stopgap like Adam Eaton for example ever would.

I like the deal too because I like the Pads and I like Maddux, so now I don't have to hate the guy anymore.

Exactly - especially when you look at the deal Lilly just received. Maddux and Lilly will probably win a similar number of games (if Maddux doesn't win more) and Greg will offer "intangibles" that Lilly will never sniff.