PDA

View Full Version : KW on philosophy of developing pitchers/dearth thereof

caulfield12
12-06-2006, 11:24 AM
"Some organizations have some pitching—the Dodgers, Houston, Texas—but there are some that don't have a single pitcher. You watch a [minor-league] team for a week, every day you're thinking, OK, I'll see somebody today, and you never do."

Williams knows firsthand how tough it can be to fill out a rotation.

"We never want to be in that position again where we can't find a fifth starter," he said.

As deep in pitching as the Sox are at this point, as strong as their bargaining position is for making a trade in a market that has more demand than supply, they know they can't stay still for long.

Buehrle and Garcia are eligible for free agency after next season. Vazquez, Jon Garland and Jose Contreras are under their control for only two seasons. The next contract for any of them could be a nightmare for Williams and the guy who balances his checkbook, Rick Hahn.

That's why Williams' goal is to parlay Garcia or Vazquez into a younger workhorse, like the Los Angeles Angels' Ervin Santana or prospects John Danks of Texas or Jason Hirsh of Houston.

It's why the development of Brandon McCarthy, Lance Broadway and knuckleballer Charlie Haeger is paramount. It's why Williams would probably take a mulligan if he could on the Mike MacDougal trade, which cost the Sox lefty Tyler Lumsden and right-hander Daniel Cortes.

from chicagosports.com

CashMan
12-06-2006, 11:35 AM
"Some organizations have some pitching—the Dodgers, Houston, Texas—but there are some that don't have a single pitcher. You watch a [minor-league] team for a week, every day you're thinking, OK, I'll see somebody today, and you never do."

Williams knows firsthand how tough it can be to fill out a rotation.

"We never want to be in that position again where we can't find a fifth starter," he said.

As deep in pitching as the Sox are at this point, as strong as their bargaining position is for making a trade in a market that has more demand than supply, they know they can't stay still for long.

Buehrle and Garcia are eligible for free agency after next season. Vazquez, Jon Garland and Jose Contreras are under their control for only two seasons. The next contract for any of them could be a nightmare for Williams and the guy who balances his checkbook, Rick Hahn.

That's why Williams' goal is to parlay Garcia or Vazquez into a younger workhorse, like the Los Angeles Angels' Ervin Santana or prospects John Danks of Texas or Jason Hirsh of Houston.

It's why the development of Brandon McCarthy, Lance Broadway and knuckleballer Charlie Haeger is paramount. It's why Williams would probably take a mulligan if he could on the Mike MacDougal trade, which cost the Sox lefty Tyler Lumsden and right-hander Daniel Cortes.

from chicagosports.com

IDK, if he would want a mulligan on the MacDougal trade. I mean although he was hurt half of the yeat, he had like a 1.35 ERA. To get something in a trade you have to give up something. It is notlike we are hearing these prospects are doing great. How is Gio Gonzalez doing? BTW wasnt one of those prospects like 25yr old?

caulfield12
12-06-2006, 12:05 PM
IDK, if he would want a mulligan on the MacDougal trade. I mean although he was hurt half of the yeat, he had like a 1.35 ERA. To get something in a trade you have to give up something. It is notlike we are hearing these prospects are doing great. How is Gio Gonzalez doing? BTW wasnt one of those prospects like 25yr old?

I think KW might have regretted Fabio Castro going more than he realized. Granted, most of his numbers were with the Phils, but he had a solid rookie campaign. The best we came up with was Javier Lopez, who we then flipped for Riske, who we now have to replace.

Cortes was something of a project, Lumsden could become a 3-4 starter (probably a 4) with the Royals and Gio Gonzalez, if he stays healthy and doesn't break down with that physique, should be a 2-3 type of pitcher.

CashMan
12-06-2006, 12:25 PM
I think KW might have regretted Fabio Castro going more than he realized. Granted, most of his numbers were with the Phils, but he had a solid rookie campaign. The best we came up with was Javier Lopez, who we then flipped for Riske, who we now have to replace.

Cortes was something of a project, Lumsden could become a 3-4 starter (probably a 4) with the Royals and Gio Gonzalez, if he stays healthy and doesn't break down with that physique, should be a 2-3 type of pitcher.

My point is, you are not hearing This guy is tearing it up, or that guy is tearing it up.